Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E05: Sister Rising

Shadow explores notions of purpose, destiny and identity with a newly enlightened Bilquis; Technical Boy struggles with an identity crisis; Wednesday asks Shadow to join in on a new con.

Promo:

Original air date: 2/14/21

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo
52 minutes ago, rollacoaster said:

I understand them not wanting to compete with the Superbowl. I personally hate football, and I'd totally be down American Gods instead. I think a lot of us would.  

Since it's streaming, one could watch it anytime and not even miss the game. 

• Love 2
On 2/1/2021 at 7:30 AM, ElectricBoogaloo said:

No one wants to compete against the Super Bowl!

I hate football. and sports. Viewers like me would watch American Gods instead of superbowl. Sigh.

• Love 2
4 minutes ago, taanja said:

I hate football. and sports. Viewers like me would watch American Gods instead of superbowl. Sigh.

Unfortunately, you're in the minority. This year's Super Bowl had over 96 million viewers, and that's the lowest it's been since 2006 (last year's game had over 101 million viewers). No one in the tv industry wants to air something that's going up against those kinds of numbers because it's basically a wasted episode in terms of the ratings.

• Useful 1
2 minutes ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Unfortunately, you're in the minority. This year's Super Bowl had over 96 million viewers, and that's the lowest it's been since 2006 (last year's game had over 101 million viewers). No one in the tv industry wants to air something that's going up against those kinds of numbers because it's basically a wasted episode in terms of the ratings.

I know. If I ruled the world things would be different damnit!

But alas.. I am not a god and I have no power.

• LOL 3

I loved that Bilquis didn't need Shadow to rescue her. And I'm with her - everything is better with french fries!

The Shadow/Cordelia heist was fun to watch.

I enjoyed the Laura/Salim road trip. It's always nice to see different characters interacting.

Whatever MM's significant role was supposed to be in this episode, his absence was not felt at all (which is not surprising since he was an extremely minor character).

• Love 1

The absolute wonder, joy, and adoration on Shadow's face as Bilquus emerged from the water was EVERYTHING. Those two have excellent chemistry. 

Loved the heist!

Mr. Ibis' tired and emphatic "YES." 😂😂😂

Kinda disappointed at the ending. I'm not really interested in that. 

Edited by rollacoaster
Clarity
  • Love 1

I thought it was interesting that while Wednesday and Shadow were talking about how to get Demeter to leave the mental hospital, they were standing in front of a painting of the snake talking to Eve in the Garden of Eden.

Although the heist was kind of interesting, the trap-door bottom suitcase was not really the best choice since Hutchinson didn't have a briefcase, he had a computer bag. It would have been more obvious if anybody saw Shadow trying the shove the floppy computer bag that was sitting on a sofa into the bottom of his trick suitcase. I initially thought they had put something into Hutchinson's drink.

12 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

I enjoyed the Laura/Salim road trip. It's always nice to see different characters interacting.

I agree but the photography of Salim in the car freaked me out.  It was really dark but you could see the "god-light" in his eyes (I THINK that's what they call it -- painters do with a dab of yellow and television lighting technicians have their own way of achieving it.) Bottom line -- he had sparks of light shining in his eyes as he rode in that darkened car and it was a really creepy effect.

I loved the last scene in this episode because, I THINK this is the first time Shadow has seen Laura since she tried to woo him at the hotel back in season one (taking a warm bath first so that her skin would be warm if/when he touched her and then hanging up fly paper . . . because.)  He MAY have caught a glimpse of her at Easter's house in a later season one ep (I can't recall for sure) but either way I think Shadow and Laura went through all of season 2 never laying eyes on one another and frequently JUST missing each other.  So I can't wait to see Shadow's reaction next week.

Loved the "Mission Impossible" vibe of the #37 caper in the hotel.  It was also fun to hear what I suspect is Ricky Whittle's actual British accent.

I also loved that Bilquis freed herself from the bad guys (with a little help from the Orishas) and she came out the other side of that trial strong and renewed.

Edited by WatchrTina
  • Love 4

Bilquis is one of if not my favorite character, but I must confess I wasn't worried for her in the least! (and it's not just because of  all the previews of her in upcoming scenes either!)

I was glad to see Shadow and Laura Moon together again. It seems it has taken eons for this to happen. I hope he gives a damn this time. They've actually been in each other's presence quite a few times since  the motel room and  Easter's house.

They were traveling somewhere in the backseat of Betty with Wednesday driving and wasn't it  Mad Sweeney in the passenger seat?

Then there was a gathering of the gods at a restaurant or something where Laura and Sweeney were kind of off to the side and Shadow was getting roped into Wednesday's BS. Sweeney said to Laura he's Wednesday's man now. It hurts to lose something you love, doesn't it? (may have been where they were traveling to in the car)

Laura saved Shadow with Sweeney's help when he was being tortured by Mr. Town.

They've been at the mortuary in Cairo... seems like  more than once.

What was that place where Sweeney went at Wednesday with the sword and Shadow got in the middle? The place where Wednesday's plant was growing into a tree... that wasn't the mortuary, was it? The next morning Shadow and Laura were outside and he was telling her that Sweeney had died the night before.

He always seemed completely unmoved by seeing her, or her having made her way back from the dead to protect him and warn him about Wednesday. Will this time be any different?

Why is springing Demeter for a date so impossible when you travel in a vehicle that morphs into totally different ones and you can insert new I.D. in your son's pocket from a distance when his face and old name are plastered all over the media as being some sort of wanted criminal... not to mention set him up with a job and apartment in Lakeside in that new name... and you get news bulletins from birds all the time?

Wednesday took Laura to some sort of other dimension where the media gods hang out... and where exactly did he take Shadow to see Whiskey Jack? Really? He can't phony up some discharge papers or glamour  the dude who runs the retreat?

All that nit-picking aside, I did enjoy the episode as it seemed to fly by.

• Love 2
13 hours ago, WatchrTina said:

Loved the "Mission Impossible" vibe of the #37 caper in the hotel.  It was also fun to hear what I suspect is Ricky Whittle's actual British accent.

If you mean when he gave the phone to Hutchinson, that sounded more like an Australian accent to me, if you mean another time, I'll get my coat.

Edited by Megras
On 2/14/2021 at 8:00 AM, ElectricBoogaloo said:

I loved that Bilquis didn't need Shadow to rescue her. And I'm with her - everything is better with french fries!

Those two actors had some AMAZING chemistry! I mean seriously!!!!!

I loved the look on Shadow's face when Biliquis just walks out of the water! << pure adoration! and her little quip -- Oh? are you here to save me Shadow?  (paraphrasing) Haha!

Glad to see Laura and Shadow together at the end.

I knew Wednesday was just faking the crazy to get inside with Demeter. Dude is working a con.

• Love 3
16 hours ago, WatchrTina said:

3 hours ago, Megras said:

If you mean when he gave the phone to Hutchinson, that sounded more like an Australian accent to me, if you mean another time, I'll get my coat.

It was definitely an Australian accent, not British!

• Love 1

The openings have all been really interesting this season, was Technology Boy first born in the Chicago Worlds Fair with an automaton? Was it a coincidence that the sleazy magician who screwed him over reminded me a lot of Mr. Wednesday? I have probably read The Devil in the White City too many times, because I kept waiting for someone to be revealed to be HH Holmes on the way to his murder house.  

Awww Shadow had such heart eyes when he saw Bilquis strolling out of that cell after handling those morons with her goddess power after getting a pep talk from the Orishas. All things really are helped by eating French Fries. 

Salim and Laura on a road trip again should be fun, and I am really interested in seeing Shadow and Laura sharing the screen together, it feels like its been ages since they last saw each other. Shadow's reaction to finding out that Laura fell for Sweeney of all people should be pretty great. Also great was Mr. Ibis's long suffering "YES" as to why he was letting Salim and Laura borrow his car. 

The con was fun, as was Ricky's...I think Australian accent? 

• Love 4

One thing we need to remember about Shadow/Laura:  She was killed giving another man a blow job while he drove! She was cheating on him for at least a year, maybe longer  (can’t remember).  Of COURSE Shadow is emotionless and "idgaf" around her! She may have changed but she’s (literally) dead to Shadow.  She’s literally his EX wife.  And for him to feel anything at all around the bitch who broke his trust, broke his heart, cheated  with his BEST. FRIEND??? Come on!

And yeah, first thing  I thought when technical boy was at the world’s fair was Wednesday...kept checking to see if he had a glass eye! That is such a Wednesday thing to do that my mind automatically went there.

I adore Bilquis, and these last two episodes I’ve been talking to her through the screen, "remember who you are!" She’s literally one of the oldest of the old gods, maybe even older than odin...she just been in this form too long and forgot. She really don’t need "worshippers" to survive, she just got used to living this way. 

I’m okay with them straying from the book cause BILQUIS! Yes mama! I’m loving season 3 so far. 

Edited by hnygrl
  • LOL 1
  • Love 5

I know... I know... lol

... and believe me I have held grudges and moved people to persona non grata status in my mind for MUCH less

but saving a guy from being tortured in some sort of hi-tech contraption  on a moving train should hold some  sway.

Especially while dear old dad just went on about his business.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
On 2/15/2021 at 4:13 PM, hnygrl said:

One thing we need to remember about Shadow/Laura:  She was killed giving another man a blow job while he drove! She was cheating on him for at least a year, maybe longer  (can’t remember).  Of COURSE Shadow is emotionless and "idgaf" around her! She may have changed but she’s (literally) dead to Shadow.  She’s literally his EX wife.  And for him to feel anything at all around the bitch who broke his trust, broke his heart, cheated  with his BEST. FRIEND??? Come on!

I like the character so much (and the actress!) that I can forgive her anything!

• Love 1

That moment when Bilquis walked out of the water tank was spectacular. Tech Boy couldn't compute, lol.

Ditto comments upthread, loved Shadow doing an Australian accent. I think Ricky Whittle has really stepped up his game this season.

I also think Blythe Danner is doing great work with a role that's fairly narrow in its scope. She holds her own quite well with Ian McShane.

• Love 1
On 2/19/2021 at 12:05 AM, Joimiaroxeu said:

That moment when Bilquis walked out of the water tank was spectacular. Tech Boy couldn't compute, lol.

Is that what happened? I couldn't figure out why he was glitching?