Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E04: The Unseen

Shadow and Technical Boy team up to search for Bilquis, who finds herself captive amid a crisis of identity. While visiting the local chapter of notorious biker gang Lords of Valhalla, Wednesday runs into a familiar face.

Promo:

Original air date: 1/31/21

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo

Cordelia's voice continues to grate on my last nerve, so when the flames came straight at her car I thought eh, if she dies I won't mind.

I was far more interested in Laura coming back to life and taking Sweeney's ashes to Illinois.

The Shadow/Tech Boy team up was not bad. I hope they find Bilquis soon and get her the hell out of there.

• Love 4

I guess I will finally have to remember what "dead wife"'s real name is or just start calling her "undead wife". Maybe "undead wife" should swallow the lucky coin again, you never know when you might need to be immortal. She already died once in a traffic accident.

I swear this show has gone completely off-book at this point so I feel free to speculate. And I'm speculating that Wednesday's madness is feigned (like Hamlet's) as a way to get into the facility where Demeter is housed.  Except . . . Demeter's facility looks pretty posh.  What "family" is going to pay to place Wednesday/Odin in the same home?  His driver/assistant seems pretty freaked out by everything that happened so it doesn't seem like she's been tasked with having him committed to the fancy funny-farm.  And Shadow is off chasing after Bilquis so he can't play that part in the grift.  So I don't know how this is supposed to play out.

Oh look, Crispin Glover is back.  Yay?  I guess?  But why?

I'm glad Bilquis escaped the torture-by-bad-music situation by conjuring/hallucinating a friend but who the fuck is Oshun?  Hang on . . . I'm off to Wikipedia:

Ọṣun, is an Orisha, a spirit, a deity, or a goddess that reflects one of the manifestations of the Yorùbá Supreme Being in the Ifá oral tradition and Yoruba-based religions of West Africa. She is one of the most popular and venerated Orishas. Oshun is an important river deity among the Yorùbá people. She is the goddess of divinity, femininity, fertility, beauty and love.  She is connected to destiny and divination.

Okay.  That's cool.  I'm all for grrrrrl power.  Now Oshun needs to help Bilquis put those sorry-assed kidnappers in their place.

I have to say I enjoyed Tech Boy getting his game-face on to demonstrate to Shadow's prisoner in the alley that -- all things considered -- he might just be in over his head.  (Though it was interesting that Shadow implied that he and Tech Boy were aliens instead of gods/demi-gods.  Presumably that's because he figured that guy was more likely to believe in UFOs than in a physical incarnation of technology-as-a-god.)

Yay!  Laura's alive again.  And she found a female truck driver to give her a ride.  Hooray again for the grrrrrrl power.  (Sistas . . .  are doin it for themselves!)  It was a messy resurrection but I did love seeing Laura zoomed out of Purgatory again. (Purgatory last week was SO BORING).  Now, do we all realize that the potion would NOT have worked had it not been mixed with the blood of Mad-Sweeney-who-is-in-love-with-Laura?  I presume Laura has figured that out and that she's going to carry Sweeney's ashes around until she figures out how to resurrect HIM in return.  After all, Laura had been reduced to powder just last episode but SHE came back.

In conclusion . . . this show is so wacky and weird.  I love it.  I'm sorry to see that we won't have a new episode next Sunday.  I presume that's because they don't want to compete with the Super Bowl.  Oh well.

ETA:  I almost forgot this, my favorite exchange in the show:

Shadow (after bouncing Tech Boy off a wall):  "That's for lynching me, peckerwood."

Tech Boy:  "I already apologized for that."

Shadow: "Apology not accepted. Not now.  Not ever."

I love that they addressed that.

Edited by WatchrTina
  • Love 5

Did anybody else imagine that opening monologue spoken in Anansi's voice? Those words and images were so powerful. 

The singing of Wade in the Water and the introduction of the Orishas gave me chills. 

The meeting of the 2 Goddesses of Love...OOOOOH, SO GOOD! Them taking up arms reminds us of their multifaceted natures; that Goddesses of Love, Sensuality and Beauty are very often also warrior goddesses. They are givers of life, AND takers of life.

"You are NOT who they say you are. You are whoever you want to be." These words resonated so powerfully with Hippolyta's evolutionary journey in the "I AM" episode of Lovecraft Country. 

Bilquis' ecstatic dancing to the loud heavy metal music and the dumbass guards thinking they broke her tickled me. 

Coming back from the dead seems to have made Laura less obnoxious. 

Shadow and Tech Boy together are fun! I appreciate Shadow not accepting TB's apology for lynching him. Cuz...just, no. 

I am so loving this season so far! I have made peace with Anansi not returning this season (though, not with how Orlando Jones was treated. That was shitty). This is a greatly expanded universe that includes the stories and deities of Black and Brown people that feels organic and intrinsic, and I am here for it. 

• Love 7

I did! I imagined the opening in Anansi's voice

From the time Baron Samedi gave Laura Moon her back to life potion it seemed we were being lead in the direction that the 2 drops of blood from someone who loves her needed to complete it would come from Mad Sweeney. I just couldn't see how it would happen once he died and she avoided the pool of his blood on the floor in that place where Shadow skewered Sweeney with Grimnor's spear.  I couldn't conceive of the blood remaining red, wet and viable long after his death. I guess that's where the explaination by The Lord of the Dead's  fuck buddy    spousal equivalent that those with "God energy"  die differently comes in.

If we had to get to this point with Laura Moon having turned to dust in that tomb, then I  guess this being the way she comes back to life is pretty satisfying. I didn't really enjoy the purgatory stuff for many reasons,  one being I much prefer Anubis being her guide in the afterlife.

• Love 1

Hope they don’t stray *too* far from the book. I love the reveal of Mr./Ms. World too much to not see it happen. I really want the show to mirror the book in that sense.  Otherwise, I’m digging what they’re putting out there this season. Can not wait to see how the goddess that is bilquis destroys these suckers. You know she is...she ain’t no human and no cell will hold her for long.  Can. Not. Wait. 

I see what Wednesday is doing, and he is gonna eff some people up. He’s the only one allowed to run a long (or short) con, and on his missus? Dude is in trouble.

And I am here for it. 

• Love 1

So by Googling I found a recap of the ep that stated the AV man in purgatory said Laura's earworm was Schweiger's Requiem of Baldr. It also stated in Norse mythology Baldr is one of Odin's sons. The song seemed to be playing in ep 3 when tiny Laura was listening outside the woman's room her dad was cavorting with. She said strange choice of music, or something like that.

So why can't I find any versions of the song to listen to?

• Useful 2

When the caretaker gave Laura the box of ashes,  I was expecting her to drop the magic coin in there to reconstitute Sweeney.  It would have been funny to see the caretaker's reaction.

McShane's overly white teeth are starting to bug me.   They're so distracting and unnatural!  Anyway, I suspect Wednesday is faking the madness to lure Shadow back.

I wasn't expecting Crispin Glover to be back,  I thought maybe they recast the role because I've heard stories about him being difficult.  If Mr. World can change his appearance, why can't he impersonate the guy that Bilquis hoovered up so she can get out?  Oh, well, it gives them an excuse to pair up Shadow and TechBoy, they're fun together.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, cdnalor said:

McShane's overly white teeth are starting to bug me.   They're so distracting and unnatural!  Anyway, I suspect Wednesday is faking the madness to lure Shadow back.

I've been having trouble understanding him this season because of the way his diction has suffered. I haven't wanted to appear rude or  insensitive but with his gaunt appearance on top of that, I've been  wondering if he may be having difficulty  eating as well. I've seen a few stars and even older friends of the family go through issues with ill-fitting dental appliances and it's horrendous. You'd think  A-list actors would have access to the best dentists in the world, but even still possibly he was having issues getting them perfected when production had to commence.

22 hours ago, rollacoaster said:

Did anybody else imagine that opening monologue spoken in Anansi's voice? Those words and images were so powerful. 

The singing of Wade in the Water and the introduction of the Orishas gave me chills. 

The meeting of the 2 Goddesses of Love...OOOOOH, SO GOOD! Them taking up arms reminds us of their multifaceted natures; that Goddesses of Love, Sensuality and Beauty are very often also warrior goddesses. They are givers of life, AND takers of life.

"You are NOT who they say you are. You are whoever you want to be." These words resonated so powerfully with Hippolyta's evolutionary journey in the "I AM" episode of Lovecraft Country. 

Bilquis' ecstatic dancing to the loud heavy metal music and the dumbass guards thinking they broke her tickled me. 

Though I remain livid about the treatment of Orlando Jones, I am interested to see how they will expand their telling of Black stories. I am particularly watchful of their depiction of the Orisha, as I am an Aborisha (devotee of the Orisha) and my Mother, Oshun, is now joining the cast. I wasn't sure of the casting but am so far not mad at the way they're choosing to use Oshun in the storyline. It made me clap my hands with glee to see Her and Bilquis together - two African Goddesses of Love, Sensuality, Sexuality, and Beauty. And yes, as is quoted, Oshun is both a lover AND a fighter. 

I was pleased to see Wale as Shango Kabiyesi and also happy to see Yemonja and Aiye. May my Deities be done well. 

Edited by SistaLadybug
  • Useful 1
  • Love 9
6 minutes ago, SistaLadybug said:

Though I remain livid about the treatment of Orlando Jones, I am interested to see how they will expand their telling of Black stories. I am particularly watchful of their depiction of the Orisha, as I am an Aborisha (devotee of the Orisha) and my Mother, Oshun, is now joining the cast. I wasn't sure of the casting but am so far not mad at the way they're choosing to use Oshun in the storyline. It made me clap my hands with glee to see Her and Bilquis together - two African Goddesses of Love, Sensuality, Sexuality, and Beauty. And yes, as is quoted, Oshun is both a lover AND a fighter. 

I was pleased to see Wale as Shango Kabiyesi and also happy to see Yemonja and Aiye. May my Deities be done well. 

I'm so glad that you are here to offer your insight about the depiction of the Orisha! Your perspective as an Aborisha is much appreciated. 

• Love 5

The opening of the episode was great, I am really glad that they are doing the Coming to America segments again. I admit that I heard some of that monologue in Anansi's voice, and while I miss him and Orlando Jones (and his treatment behind the scenes was beyond shitty) I really like that they are now adding more African gods. I already love Oshun and Bilquis teaming up, tear their shit up ladies! 

Shadow and Tech Boy on an odd couple road trip trying to find Bilquis is fun, and I am glad that Shadow didn't forget about the lunching incident, even if he is willing to still work with him for a greater goal. 

Wednesday is definitely working some kind of angle, either to get closer to Demeter or Shadow. Or probably both, knowing that he could get sent to the same facility as Demeter and he can guilt Shadow into talking to him again, smug bastard that he is. 

Coming back from the dead has really made Laura a lot more pleasant, that plus losing Sweeney, which she is still trying to deny is affecting her a lot. So the coin is back in play again, and with the blood being spilled, does that mean he can come back? Is Laura just trying to find a nice place to spread his ashes, or is she actually going to try and bring him back? I guess if she finds a way to make people believe in him, he can come back right? 

• Love 2
7 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

Coming back from the dead has really made Laura a lot more pleasant, that plus losing Sweeney, which she is still trying to deny is affecting her a lot. So the coin is back in play again, and with the blood being spilled, does that mean he can come back? Is Laura just trying to find a nice place to spread his ashes, or is she actually going to try and bring him back? I guess if she finds a way to make people believe in him, he can come back right? 

Over the show's hiatus we learned  Iwan Rheon  would be joining the cast as Liam Doyle (a Leprechaun) along with Marilyn Manson and Blythe Danner. The press didn't see fit to give Graham Green a mention! IMDB Lists Pablo Shreiver appearing  as Mad Sweeney  in episodes from 2017-2019. 

So it looks like it's really RIP Sweeney!

• Love 1
1 hour ago, hatchetgirl said:

Yay, Marilyn Manson playing Marilyn manson... That's a feat.. 

On the topic about AG in the media or the topic about the cast there's news they'll edit out his part because of allegations of abuse by Evan Rachael Wood (and others).

• Love 3

I thought is was announced that Marilyn Manson was being edited out of American Gods? Are we to assume his character was in the bar when it blew up?

Yes and I got confused wondering if it was indeed Orlando Jones. If not, not sure how I feel about the show hiring someone to imitate his voice.

• Love 1
On 2/4/2021 at 11:08 AM, T Summer said:

On the topic about AG in the media or the topic about the cast there's news they'll edit out his part because of allegations of abuse by Evan Rachael Wood (and others).

Yes, I read that as well. There is some other show that has passed on him. I remember when he began dating ERW, she was just a child. I mean, sure legally she was of age, but come on... I'm wondering why Dita hasn't come out in support. 

• Love 1
On 1/31/2021 at 8:26 PM, WatchrTina said:

I swear this show has gone completely off-book at this point so I feel free to speculate. And I'm speculating that Wednesday's madness is feigned (like Hamlet's) as a way to get into the facility where Demeter is housed.  Except . . . Demeter's facility looks pretty posh.  What "family" is going to pay to place Wednesday/Odin in the same home?  His driver/assistant seems pretty freaked out by everything that happened so it doesn't seem like she's been tasked with having him committed to the fancy funny-farm.  And Shadow is off chasing after Bilquis so he can't play that part in the grift.  So I don't know how this is supposed to play out.

Oh look, Crispin Glover is back.  Yay?  I guess?  But why?

I'm glad Bilquis escaped the torture-by-bad-music situation by conjuring/hallucinating a friend but who the fuck is Oshun?  Hang on . . . I'm off to Wikipedia:

Okay.  That's cool.  I'm all for grrrrrl power.  Now Oshun needs to help Bilquis put those sorry-assed kidnappers in their place.

I have to say I enjoyed Tech Boy getting his game-face on to demonstrate to Shadow's prisoner in the alley that -- all things considered -- he might just be in over his head.  (Though it was interesting that Shadow implied that he and Tech Boy were aliens instead of gods/demi-gods.  Presumably that's because he figured that guy was more likely to believe in UFOs than in a physical incarnation of technology-as-a-god.)

Yay!  Laura's alive again.  And she found a female truck driver to give her a ride.  Hooray again for the grrrrrrl power.  (Sistas . . .  are doin it for themselves!)  It was a messy resurrection but I did love seeing Laura zoomed out of Purgatory again. (Purgatory last week was SO BORING).  Now, do we all realize that the potion would NOT have worked had it not been mixed with the blood of Mad-Sweeney-who-is-in-love-with-Laura?  I presume Laura has figured that out and that she's going to carry Sweeney's ashes around until she figures out how to resurrect HIM in return.  After all, Laura had been reduced to powder just last episode but SHE came back.

In conclusion . . . this show is so wacky and weird.  I love it.  I'm sorry to see that we won't have a new episode next Sunday.  I presume that's because they don't want to compete with the Super Bowl.  Oh well.

ETA:  I almost forgot this, my favorite exchange in the show:

Shadow (after bouncing Tech Boy off a wall):  "That's for lynching me, peckerwood."

Tech Boy:  "I already apologized for that."

Shadow: "Apology not accepted. Not now.  Not ever."

I love that they addressed that.

Basically all of this ^^^^^^^

I am just quoting you because -- yup! especially the bolded parts

On 2/5/2021 at 6:46 PM, T Summer said:

Has anyone noticed that after s3 ep4 aired Sunday night and would usually repeat until the next new episode airs, s3 ep3 has been airing? Just s3 ep3, not followed buy s3 ep4.

Odd.

I noticed that too.

• Love 1
On 2/1/2021 at 9:32 AM, T Summer said:

So by Googling I found a recap of the ep that stated the AV man in purgatory said Laura's earworm was Schweiger's Requiem of Baldr. It also stated in Norse mythology Baldr is one of Odin's sons. The song seemed to be playing in ep 3 when tiny Laura was listening outside the woman's room her dad was cavorting with. She said strange choice of music, or something like that.

So why can't I find any versions of the song to listen to?

Spoiler

It's a clue