Type keyword(s) to search

FilmNight: Movies you watched recently

• Start Topic

I'm going to try to watch as many academy nominated films that I can before the show.  This past week I watched:

May December:  Ugh. Sorry,I thought it was boring and the only nomination I could have gotten behind would have been Julianne Moore.

Nyad:  Very interesting and intense at times.  It got a little old after a while and it's not a fast paced movie, but I liked seeing how they dealt with the problems she encountered in her first 4 attempts.  I really don't know why anyone would put their mind and body through that, though. Annette Benning and Jodie Foster were really good.

Flamin' Hot:  It was cute

American Fiction:  It was great.  I'd seen it described as "outrageously funny", but I don't agree with that.  I thought it was more of drama with some funny moments. Great acting by all. 

• Like 1

Finally had the time to watch a movie, so on Saturday saw Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness (2022), which continued on with the multiverse concept introduced in the previous MCU Spider-Man movie. In it, Doctor Strange had to help a teenager capable of walking between multiverses survive Wanda, because she was hunting her down in order to extract the teenager's powers and be able to find that one reality, wherein her children are alive.

Not gonna lie, it was very fun to watch how Wanda simply was massacring everyone in alternate realities, however, after this, the movie simply lost steam I think. Nevertheless, 7.5/10.

• Like 2

Another Woman's Husband (2000) with Gail O' Grady and Lisa Rinna.

Before the site when on break I remember commenting I liked Lisa but not since she became a Housewife at all.  And then this film came back in my mind for some reason.

I surprisingly thought it was pretty good.  Even in the pre social media age I found it hard to believe that they didn't pick up on they were with the same guy.  Nonetheless I thought it was pretty good.  3 of 4 stars 

• Like 1

Willy Wonka & the Chocolate Factory (1971). I can't believe I'd lived my whole life without seeing this film until now. Not only that, I didn't realize that the songs "the Candy Man" and "Pure Imagination" came from this film. What have I been doing with my life? Anyway, I liked it a lot. Just a cute little movie. Of course I was irritated that it took a golden ticket to get grandfather out of bed after 20 years. Dude, what have you been doing? There have been deaths, births, was anyone besides mom working? But I digress, I liked it and couldn't get that Oompa Lompa song out of my head for days.

• Like 1
On 2/6/2024 at 7:12 PM, BlueSkies said:

Another Woman's Husband (2000) with Gail O' Grady and Lisa Rinna.

Before the site when on break I remember commenting I liked Lisa but not since she became a Housewife at all.  And then this film came back in my mind for some reason.

I surprisingly thought it was pretty good.  Even in the pre social media age I found it hard to believe that they didn't pick up on they were with the same guy.  Nonetheless I thought it was pretty good.  3 of 4 stars 

I liked Lisa when she played Billie on Days of Our Lives. She also had a home design show called Merge where they would merge the stuff of a couple for their house which I liked. 

• Useful 1
6 hours ago, andromeda331 said:

I liked Lisa when she played Billie on Days of Our Lives. She also had a home design show called Merge where they would merge the stuff of a couple for their house which I liked. 

Yeah I imagine her personality was better there as well back in the day? 

• Like 1
5 hours ago, andromeda331 said:

It was.

I looked up the show.  Yeah she is beautiful then.  Although my style may just be unmergeable/unfixable.  😅

I mean compare that to this Lisa 🤮

• Like 1
6 hours ago, BlueSkies said:

I looked up the show.  Yeah she is beautiful then.  Although my style may just be unmergeable/unfixable.  😅

I mean compare that to this Lisa 🤮

Good God, Lisa, what happened to you?

Don't know whether I should call it a movie or a TV film, or a limited series comprising four parts, but yesterday saw the first part of Maigret quadrology starring Rowan Atkinson. "Maigret Sets a Trap" (2016). In it, inspector Maigret finds himself a target from the press and his superiors for not having caught a killer who has been praying on Parisian women in five months period...

It was an alright by the numbers detective procedural, if you like watching these kinds of movies. 7/10

Watched another part of Maigret - Maigret's Dead Man (2016). In it, Inspector Maigret gets a strange call from a man claiming that someone is going to kill him. Soon after, the police finds a badly beaten body, which was thrown on to a pavement from a moving car... Probably, not as good as the first one, did not hold my attention too much. Let's say 5.5/10

(edited)

I watched Zone of Interest and Anatomy of a Fall yesterday. Both of them were slow, but I expected that.

Zone of Interest was a very simple story. There was no real conflict among the members of the family, so it was simply watching a normal family work on their house and gardens, watching the kids play and learning about the husband's job and an argument or two. There was nothing really new--we all know about the Holocaust and we all know that most Germans shrugged it off and went on with their daily lives like nothing happened. Putting aside the basic story, the film is a work of art. The directing choices, the cinematography, the symbolism, the set design--all of it was beautiful. They used small things to make their point about how awful it was: The looting-they'd take things from the Jewish prisoners for themselves, how the kids played with their soldiers, people closing the windows during the times they were burning the bodies, etc. It was all very matter of fact--just a way of life during that time. The best part, though, in regards to the film making, imo, was the juxtaposition of seeing the beauty of the home and gardens and surrounding areas, and what we were hearing. The sound effects and score were used to good effect.

Anatomy of a Fall was more interesting, but still not very exciting. It was really well done, but was simply a movie that brought you through a court case from the death, through the investigation, the trial and a verdict. There was no surprise ending or twist. It's pretty much what the title says it is.

Edited by Shannon L.
  • Like 1

The Three Musketeers (1993): Holy moly, does anyone remember this? Hard to believe they had so many 90s stars in this: Chris O’Donnell, Kiefer Sutherland, Charlie Sheen, Oliver Platt Rebecca De Mornay, and Tim freaking Curry as the evil cardinal! They even had Gabriella Anwar aka Princess Mar(y)garet on The Tudors as the Queen! Ah the non-animated Disney movies of yore. So much fun…

• Like 3

I have been disappointed by every adaptation of The Three Musketeers. The best one IMO was the two-part from 1961 with Gérard Barray and Mylène Demongeot, but even that one had a few changes that I din't like.

• Like 1
9 hours ago, JustHereForFood said:

I have been disappointed by every adaptation of The Three Musketeers. The best one IMO was the two-part from 1961 with Gérard Barray and Mylène Demongeot, but even that one had a few changes that I din't like.

I would like one that’s more accurate to the novel. However, my favorite has to be the Mickey, Donald, and Goofy one lol.

• Like 2

Yesterday, watched the penultimate part of Maigret - Night at the Crossroads (2016). wherein, the police are investigating the murder of a Jewish jeweller, the body of whom was found inside the car located in a garage of an odd brother and sister family... It was a solid 7.

• Like 1

And yesterday completed the last part of the TV Movies about Maigret - Maigret at Montmartre (2016), wherein Maigret is investigating a murder of a showgirl. Was kinda meh. In general, 2 good films followed by 2 mediocre ones. Overall, I'd rate the movies a weak 6 out of 10.

On 3/2/2024 at 8:44 AM, JustHereForFood said:

To me, the only one worth watching is the Richard Lester version.  I don't care whether or not it's accurate to the book.  It's fucking terrific and so is the sequel, The Four Musketeers.

• Like 1

The Running Man. 1987, Arnold Schwarzenegger. The premise, Ben Richards is a cop who's framed for firing on unarmed civilians. He winds up on a game show where he has to get through an urban wasteland while being hunted by some colourful maniacs intent on killing him and his fellow contestants. Thing is, Arnie is just that good. First he kills the maniacs, then with some help starts a revolution.

Wait, didn't this movie used to be fun? I don't remember the last time I watched it, but it's now one of those 'way too close to home' movies. Selective editing, reality TV, deepfakes, it even predated American Gladiators. While it's still somewhat fun, it's also somewhat disturbing. As a society, we haven't fallen far enough that this is actually plausible. Not yet.

Yeah, it's fun, but it's also now a little worrying.

• Like 2
(edited)

Damsel (2024): this was a fun fractured fairy tale movie. Millie Bobby Brown was great, and I loved Angela Bassett as the stepmother. But it made me bitter that even a silly direct-to-Netflix movie had a better ending than Game of Thrones. No, seriously, the ending was how GOT should have ended, dammit! Curse you, Dumb and Dumber!!!

Edited by Spartan Girl
  • LOL 2

Just finished watching Basketball Diaries (1995) with L. Dicaprio. Never watched it before, so imagine my surprise that it was not about basketball, but about teen junkies getting more and more high to a point of total degradation... It was very edgy to say the least (not as edgy as, let's say, Trainspotting, but more or less within the same level of ickiness). Though, it was entertaining to watch this train wreck of a life the main character leads,

Spoiler

and, unlike Trainspotting, it does have a happy ending...

7/10

• Like 1
22 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

Damsel (2024): this was a fun fractured fairy tale movie. Millie Bobby Brown was great, and I loved Angela Bassett as the stepmother. But it made me bitter that even a silly direct-to-Netflix movie had a better ending than Game of Thrones. No, seriously, the ending was how GOT should have ended, dammit! Curse you, Dumb and Dumber!!!

I thought Damsel sucked.  And no way was its ending better than GOT's which, yes, had flaws, but Dany's end wasn't one of them.

Technically not a movie, but I barely made it through the first episode. But I need to be slapped; my ears boxed. Preferably by @Dandesun. After watching Great Greek Myths, Greek Myths: The Iliad, The Odyssey on Tubiwhich was interesting-with the use of animation and art/paintings, I stumbled upon Netflix’s Troy: The Fall of a City, which, OMG. Made Brad Pitt’s Troy  Shakespearean in comparison! I need to be flogged. I will admit when I saw Tom Weston-Jones’ name, I clicked on play. BIG MISTAKE. HUGE. Even if he played Hector. And now I know when I go back to the service, this atrocity will show up in my Continue Watching!! I wish I knew how to delete it! The only way to cleanse my brain is to pick up the book.

I’m SO ASHAMED.

• Like 1
  • LOL 1
(edited)
9 minutes ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Technically not a movie, but I barely made it through the first episode. But I need to be slapped; my ears boxed. Preferably by @Dandesun. After watching Great Greek Myths, Greek Myths: The Iliad, The Odyssey on Tubiwhich was interesting-with the use of animation and art/paintings, I stumbled upon Netflix’s Troy: The Fall of a City, which, OMG. Made Brad Pitt’s Troy  Shakespearean in comparison! I need to be flogged. I will admit when I saw Tom Weston-Jones’ name, I clicked on play. BIG MISTAKE. HUGE. Even if he played Hector. And now I know when I go back to the service, this atrocity will show up in my Continue Watching!! I wish I knew how to delete it! The only way to cleanse my brain is to pick up the book.

I’m SO ASHAMED.

Don’t be ashamed, I watched it too. My only excuse is that it was the 2020 lockdown and I was bored.

When are we going to get a GOOD show based on Greek mythology?!

Edited by Spartan Girl
  • Like 2
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

Don’t be ashamed, I watched it too. My only excuse is that it was the 2020 lockdown and I was bored.

When are we going to get a GOOD show based on Greek mythology?!

You watched the whole thing?! Like I stated, I barely made it through the first episode.

Hear! Hear! It’s not that difficult! The source material is RIGHT THERE!

• Like 2
7 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

You watched the whole thing?! Like I stated, I barely made it through the first episode.

What can I say, the lockdown increased my tolerance for crap.

• LOL 1

Gold Diggers of 1933 (1933... wait, that went without saying)

42nd Street is one of my all time favorite movie musicals, and I've only ever seen clips from Gold Diggers. The two films were released the same year, and reuse a lot of the same actors, even the same Pekingese! It's a cute movie (doesn't quite have the energy or momentum of the former, but that's okay), a bit more slight in plot than 42nd Street, but it's worth it for the star power and Busby Berkeley at his zenith. "The Shadow Waltz" is my favorite Berkeley number, it's just so beautiful.

I couldn't help but laugh when a character mentions "the Astaires"... and Ginger Rogers is in this movie! Yes, she and Fred Astaire made their first film the year this was released, but they wouldn't truly become "a thing" until the following year.

36 minutes ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

So I watched Inception last night. Can someone PLEASE explain to me just what in the HELL that movie was about?!!!!!

Spoiler

About a technology, which lets the user access people's minds through their dreams and influence/gather information? Also, if you are not careful, you gonna get stuck there until your body in the real world dies and/or vice versae?

That's at least what I remember.

2 hours ago, Rushmoras said:
  Reveal spoiler

About a technology, which lets the user access people's minds through their dreams and influence/gather information? Also, if you are not careful, you gonna get stuck there until your body in the real world dies and/or vice versae?

That's at least what I remember.

Well, yes, I got that part; I just couldn't understand the whole dream within a dream, and what Robert (Cillian Murphy) and his uncle (Tom Berenger) had to do with it? Ultimately, Leo had to go back and save his OLD dream self and to wake up? Like, whuuut?

9 minutes ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Well, yes, I got that part; I just couldn't understand the whole dream within a dream, and what Robert (Cillian Murphy) and his uncle (Tom Berenger) had to do with it? Ultimately, Leo had to go back and save his OLD dream self and to wake up? Like, whuuut?

Spoiler

I think that Leo got stuck in the dream in the end or he was living inside the dream all this time. That last scene with that spinny thing never stopping to spin...

I was bored. And since it's the "20th Anniversary" I wanted to see if Troy was bad as I thought when I first watched it when it was released. It was. GAH! WHY do I do this to myself? And blah, blah, to the tag that the movie was "inspired by" Homer's Iliad and not "based on" nonsense.

Only two or three things they used from the source material. And fuck to making Achilles some grand and noble hero. That is Hector, and to a lesser extent, Odysseus.

This was a war that lasted 10 YEARS. But for all we saw, only a week? two? passed before Troy burned, and Hector's child still remained a newborn. Shouldn't he have been 10? Or was he born close to the end of the war, when that animated series I saw had the narrator saying that Hector's infant son, along with other babies, children, and women, were thrown from the parapets to their deaths? And that Hecuba, Cassandra, and Andromache were taken as slaves (the insinuation was so they could be also be used and raped). Speaking of which, nary a sign of Hecuba or Cassandra here.

There are only 4 good things about this movie:

• Eric Bana
  • Sean Bean
  • Peter O'Toole
  • Josh Groban (his "Remember Me" was beautiful for the end credits)

Everything else was just SHIT*. It would have been nice to see the gods helping, manipulating, and using their powers with/against the Greeks and Trojans, not to mention each other. I have no use for Paris, but seriously? It was fucking Aphrodite who saved his ass. And killing Menelaus and Agamemnon? When we KNOW how the latter got his just desserts? Hollywood, schmollywood.

So I stayed up late by reading the book. It will be a much better experience, that much I do know.

*As shitty as the movie is, it's still better than the hideous BBC/Netflix show. This at least had some wonderful eye candy and glorious scenery.

• Like 4
1 hour ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

I have no use for Paris, but seriously? It was fucking Aphrodite who saved his ass.

The only time Orlando really seemed like Paris was when he was clinging to Hector’s leg after Menelaus beat the shit out of him. No disrespect to Orlando, it’s not his fault the writers butchered The Iliad.

Sean Bean and Peter O’Toole were indeed the best parts of the movie.

I’d argue that Achilles is seen as a tragic hero or antihero in the original text, but not like this. Seriously, my kingdom for a movie adaptation of Song of Achilles—we’d still get a sympathetic Achilles and a more accurate story! 

• Like 6
39 minutes ago, Spartan Girl said:

it’s not his fault the writers butchered The Iliad.

And you know one of the reasons why? It was fucking David Benioff who wrote this. 'nuff said.

It was eerie how much the actor that played Patroclus looked so much like Brad Pitt.

• Mind Blown 1
(edited)
22 minutes ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

And you know one of the reasons why? It was fucking David Benioff who wrote this. 'nuff said.

It was eerie how much the actor that played Patroclus looked so much like Brad Pitt.

Oh shit, REALLY?! The same guy that's half responsible for the GOT mess?! UGH, explains so much! Never trust those guys with ANY adaptation!

Yeah, I think they cast a Brad lookalike on purpose because this version had them be cousins.

Edited by Spartan Girl
On 3/15/2024 at 12:09 PM, Spartan Girl said:

Oh shit, REALLY?! The same guy that's half responsible for the GOT mess?! UGH, explains so much! Never trust those guys with ANY adaptation!

Yeah, I think they cast a Brad lookalike on purpose because this version had them be cousins.

Yes, same guy.

The reason I called it eerie is because Patroclus was also Achilles’s lover; I don’t care that Benioff changed it, it squicked me out. I recall reading The Iliad and The Odyssey  when I was in India after my first year of college at my cousin’s place and there was a scene of Achilles and Patroclus laying together. Or am I misremembering who he was laying with?

Anyhoo, somebody STOP ME! 1997’s mini series The Odyssey showed up in my queue and like a moron I watched it. Hey, it was Armand Assante in his prime! But at least we got to see Athena and Hermes, so yay? It was like a bullet point of the fights and places Odysseus went through. And color me shocked that Francis Ford Coppola was an executive producer!

• Like 3
2 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Anyhoo, somebody STOP ME! 1997’s mini series The Odyssey showed up in my queue and like a moron I watched it. Hey, it was Armand Assante in his prime! But at least we got to see Athena and Hermes, so yay? It was like a bullet point of the fights and places Odysseus went through. And color me shocked that Francis Ford Coppola was an executive producer!

Hey, that one wasn’t so bad! That was at least accurate! The corny NBC/Hallmark/whatever miniseries were part of my childhood!

• Like 2
  • Love 1
On 3/15/2024 at 7:58 AM, GHScorpiosRule said:

Everything else was just SHIT*. It would have been nice to see the gods helping, manipulating, and using their powers with/against the Greeks and Trojans, not to mention each other. I have no use for Paris, but seriously? It was fucking Aphrodite who saved his ass. And killing Menelaus and Agamemnon? When we KNOW how the latter got his just desserts? Hollywood, schmollywood.

So I stayed up late by reading the book. It will be a much better experience, that much I do know.

*As shitty as the movie is, it's still better than the hideous BBC/Netflix show. This at least had some wonderful eye candy and glorious scenery.

I would have loved to see the Gods and Goddess appear in the movie since they are a big part of the story and why everything happened. Especially Aphrodite who started in the first place by offering Helen to Paris. Every time one side almost wins Gods and/or Goddess interven to help the other side. Hera beats up Artemis with her own bow and distracts Zeus from the war with the only thing that always works, sex. Diomedes shows how awesome he is by beat Ares.

But I really, really hate Paris killing Menelaus and Agamemnon. First of all Paris is the biggest coward of the war. He runs away rather then fight Menelaus. Second of all Menelaus doesn't get killed in the war! He survived and goes home with Helen and have happy life still married. Third is Agamemnon is rightly murdered by his wife Clytemestra when he returns home because he had their daughter sacrificed to Artemis for wind to sail to Troy before the war. 

• Like 2
(edited)
On 3/18/2024 at 2:44 AM, andromeda331 said:

But I really, really hate Paris killing Menelaus and Agamemnon. First of all Paris is the biggest coward of the war. He runs away rather then fight Menelaus. Second of all Menelaus doesn't get killed in the war! He survived and goes home with Helen and have happy life still married. Third is Agamemnon is rightly murdered by his wife Clytemestra when he returns home because he had their daughter sacrificed to Artemis for wind to sail to Troy before the war. 

Seriously! It was so soap opera-ish to have Briseis kill Agamemnon, when as you stated, it was Clytemnestra who did it. Yet I’ve read that Artemis didn’t let Iphigenia be sacrificed at the last minute or something so now I don’t know what to believe about that part. And sadly for me, the version I’m reading starts with them already at Troy and Achilles being pissed because Agamemnon took Briseis from him, and so now he refuses to fight.

Edited by GHScorpiosRule
  • Like 3
41 minutes ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Seriously! It was so soap opera-ish to have Briseis kill Agamemnon, when as you stated, it was Clytemnestra who did it. 

It really was. Clytemnestra killing Agamemnon was one of the best moments.  

Yet I’ve read that Artemis didn’t let Iphemeginia be sacrificed at the last minute or something so now I don’t know what to believe about that part.

I've heard that too. I'm not sure what to think about it. Although it's fun to think Artemis was so pissed at Agamemnon for sacificing his daughter to him that she saves the daughter but still let's him get murdered by Clytemnestra for it. 

And sadly for me, the version I’m reading starts with then already at Troy and Achilles being pissed because Agamemnon took Briseis from him, and so now he refuses to fight.

That part is frustrating. His side is getting slaughtered but he refuses to help them out because he's mad at one person. What about the rest of them?

• Like 1
(edited)
4 hours ago, andromeda331 said:

It really was. Clytemnestra killing Agamemnon was one of the best moments

For what it’s worth, with all the novels coming out about Clytemnestra, odds are that one will get optioned so that we’ll finally see him get killed off the way he’s supposed to it a movie, lol.

Anyway, I finally watched Capote last night after the snooze fest that was Feud. While I still wish that Heath Ledger won the Oscar that year, I’m glad Philip Seymour Hoffman won too. This Capote was still a social climbing two-faced egomaniac, but it was hard not to pity him for the emotional toll it took “researching” In Cold Blood, by which I mean, getting sucked into the lives of the murderers. Maybe Capote was kinder than I am, because I didn’t feel sorry for them at all. At the end of the day, they murdered a whole family for a lousy fifty bucks.

Then again, he was an absolutely petty bitch to Harper Lee about her success with TKAM. “I don’t see what all the fuss was about.” Damn, Ryan Murphy should’ve focused more about him and Nell/Harper, not his Gay Best Friend pseudo-marriage with Babe Paley! 

Edited by Spartan Girl
  • Like 2
9 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

I finally watched Capote last night after the snooze fest that was Feud.

I never did manage to resume after the second episode, because Hollander's Capote just made my ears bleed.

I did, however, watch Capote, and Hoffman's Capote was more palatable, though I couldn't believe how the movie tried to make those f'n' murderers...soft? somehow? I did fall asleep halfway. Will have to go back.

But the series, and I'm blanking on what streaming service it was, with Sam O'Neil and Eric Roberts (the latter was one of the killers), portrayed Roberts as the vicious murderer he was.

Oh! Back to Achilles-now I remember where I read the passage where he was laying with Patroclus: it was in one of my college texts. I LOVE Greek mythology, and I remember I took two or three classes on it during my sophomore and junior years.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

I never did manage to resume after the second episode, because Hollander's Capote just made my ears bleed.

I did, however, watch Capote, and Hoffman's Capote was more palatable, though I couldn't believe how the movie tried to make those f'n' murderers...soft? somehow? I did fall asleep halfway. Will have to go back

Well, the movie tried to make Truman’s “buddy” sympathetic, but it didn’t work for me. And miss me with his outrage that “In Cold Blood” was going to be the title. Dude, you broke into a family’s home and murdered them all, I think the title is pretty accurate. I don’t know whether to be impressed or disgusted that Truman kept playing him to get the story.

You didn’t miss a thing with the rest of Feud. Although I never knew that he actually did a TV interview completely blotto. 

• Like 1

Firebringer is a stage musical, available to watch on YT. It's set in the stone age and deals with the discovery and repercussions of fire. Despite that dry description, it's actually really fun! A bit long, but there's a good break point in the middle. If this sounds like your kind of thing, absolutely go for it. However, now I must nitpick!

If they know about turkeys, it must be set in North America. But fire was harnessed, stone tools, cave paintings invented long before humans crossed over Beringia. Maybe this tribe was a little dimwitted and forgot all those things before rediscovering them. Also, sigh, ancient alien intervention. We'll apparently never be free of that Von Daniken shit.

But watch this clip. If it grabs you, go for the full thing!

• Like 1
(edited)
On 3/18/2024 at 2:48 PM, GHScorpiosRule said:

Oh! Back to Achilles-now I remember where I read the passage where he was laying with Patroclus: it was in one of my college texts. I LOVE Greek mythology, and I remember I took two or three classes on it during my sophomore and junior years.

I've always loved myths but the Greeks are my favorite. They are just so crazy. Achilles and Patroclus were a good couple. They clearly loved each other. I also loved the part where the river god tries to kill Achilles because he's killed so many men the river is full of dead bodies.

Edited by andromeda331
  • Like 1
On 3/15/2024 at 6:58 AM, GHScorpiosRule said:

I was bored. And since it's the "20th Anniversary" I wanted to see if Troy was bad as I thought when I first watched it when it was released. It was. GAH! WHY do I do this to myself? And blah, blah, to the tag that the movie was "inspired by" Homer's Iliad and not "based on" nonsense.

Only two or three things they used from the source material. And fuck to making Achilles some grand and noble hero. That is Hector, and to a lesser extent, Odysseus.

This was a war that lasted 10 YEARS. But for all we saw, only a week? two? passed before Troy burned, and Hector's child still remained a newborn. Shouldn't he have been 10? Or was he born close to the end of the war, when that animated series I saw had the narrator saying that Hector's infant son, along with other babies, children, and women, were thrown from the parapets to their deaths? And that Hecuba, Cassandra, and Andromache were taken as slaves (the insinuation was so they could be also be used and raped). Speaking of which, nary a sign of Hecuba or Cassandra here.

There are only 4 good things about this movie:

• Eric Bana
  • Sean Bean
  • Peter O'Toole
  • Josh Groban (his "Remember Me" was beautiful for the end credits)

Sounds like you suffered enough. Honestly, we're all better off just watching the Overly Sarcastic Productions run down of Iliad, Odyssey and anything related to mythology in general.

I really hate... and I mean HAAAAATE that anyone tries to pass off Paris and Helen as a love story.

It isn't. Helen was a commodity who had no choice in the matter and was handed over to a horny, short-sighted loser by a vain goddess so she could win a prize.

I get just as mad when Romeo and Juliet is touted as a love story. IT'S NOT! It's a tragedy and they were two horny teenagers surrounded by a bunch of MORONS! Which isn't to say the two horny teenagers weren't also morons but they were TEENAGERS!! At least they have an excuse!

Yeah the Troy movie making Achilles and Patroclus cousins? Really? That shit didn't work with the dub of Sailor Moon either. And these decision makers going the cousin route with these 'relationships' doesn't exactly cover them with glory, you know?

Can someone do a legit House of Atreus mini-series? Because seeing Agamemnon get his and all the reasons WHY it's satisfying would be fucking GREAT!

• Like 2
  • Applause 4
(edited)
4 hours ago, Dandesun said:

Sounds like you suffered enough. Honestly, we're all better off just watching the Overly Sarcastic Productions run down of Iliad, Odyssey and anything related to mythology in general.

I love Overly Sarcastic Productions their videos are always so great and hilarious. 

I really hate... and I mean HAAAAATE that anyone tries to pass off Paris and Helen as a love story.

It isn't. Helen was a commodity who had no choice in the matter and was handed over to a horny, short-sighted loser by a vain goddess so she could win a prize.

I agree. It wasn't a love story. It was Aphrodite who gave her to Paris. The first sign Paris is an idiot for deciding out of his three offers wealth and power, wisdom and victory in battle or the most beautiful woman in the world goes for that one. Helen had no control over and was clearly happy with Menelaus considering they reunite after the war and remain together from then on. 

I get just as mad when Romeo and Juliet is touted as a love story. IT'S NOT! It's a tragedy and they were two horny teenagers surrounded by a bunch of MORONS! Which isn't to say the two horny teenagers weren't also morons but they were TEENAGERS!! At least they have an excuse!

Yeah at least Romeo and Juliet had an excuse they were teenagers. The rest don't they were either hot heads, or just plain idiots. Although Juliet's father had some sense. He didn't actually have an issue with Romeo and let him stay at the ball because he heard good things about him. 

Yeah the Troy movie making Achilles and Patroclus cousins? Really? That shit didn't work with the dub of Sailor Moon either. And these decision makers going the cousin route with these 'relationships' doesn't exactly cover them with glory, you know?

Yeah that was stupid. They weren't cousins and they clearly were in love with each other. Achille flips out over Patroclus death and goes on a rampage.  It's a great story. But they didn't have the guts to go with them being a couple.

Can someone do a legit House of Atreus mini-series? Because seeing Agamemnon get his and all the reasons WHY it's satisfying would be fucking GREAT!

I wish someone would. That would be so great. 

Edited by andromeda331
  • Like 2

Lisa Frankenstein: Well, the people that are fans of black comedies like Heathers and Jennifer’s Body will eat this up. It’s already a following on Tumblr. As for me…it was entertaining, but not necessarily to my taste. I am a sucker for an 80s setting, though.

Akira Kurosawa Drunken Angel (1948). A movie about a small town's doctor trying to help out a member of the yakuza, who has tuberculosis, but is reluctant to take treatment, because healthy life-style gonna crash with his hedonism... I'm not gonna lie, out of all Kurosawa's movies that I've seen since 1943 and up to 1948, this one had the most quality and was the most interesting so far. I even would say that disregarding the action scenes in the end, it holds up even by today's standards. And, what surprised me, is that this movie does not re-use the same actors from previous of his movies; well, I'm lying, I think the actor who played the father in the No Regrets for Our Youth (1946) is playing the small town's doctor, but, mainly, that's it.