Type keyword(s) to search

The Queen's Gambit in the Media

• Start Topic

A chess master's opinions on how the series handled the matches. For the most part he's complimentary; the only ding is the talking Beth and the young Soviet player did during their match. Except to concede or ask for a draw, talking is considered bad form as well as not allowed.

He nitpicked a bit about how short the games were but acknowledged the dramatic license needed.

The parallels he draws between Beth and Bobby Fischer are fascinating. The article is worth a read if you have a subscription to the NY Times or a few free articles left.

• Love 7

Heard on the news last night that this show is Netflix's biggest hit! There was also an article in today's NYT about how the show has made chess extremely popular again. The chess federation has had a big increase in membership, and sales of chess sets are booming.

• Love 5
On 11/24/2020 at 8:35 AM, dubbel zout said:

Heard on the news last night that this show is Netflix's biggest hit! There was also an article in today's NYT about how the show has made chess extremely popular again. The chess federation has had a big increase in membership, and sales of chess sets are booming.

I'm delighted to hear it but a bit surprised.  Biggest hit on ALL of Netflix?  Bigger than "The Crown"?  Bigger than "The Great British Baking Show???"  I'm going to have to chalk that up to the Pandemic effect.  That being said -- I DID watch the whole thing twice.  (But I watched The Crown three times.)

On 11/24/2020 at 9:35 AM, dubbel zout said:

Normal people watch this and want to buy a chess set.  I watched it and started looking for saddle shoes.  Sadly, they seem to be too expensive for a whim.

9 minutes ago, WatchrTina said:

I'm delighted to hear it but a bit surprised.  Biggest hit on ALL of Netflix?  Bigger than "The Crown"?  Bigger than "The Great British Baking Show???"  I'm going to have to chalk that up to the Pandemic effect.  That being said -- I DID watch the whole thing twice.  (But I watched The Crown three times.)

3 minutes ago, dubbel zout said:

“The Crown” just passed this show as most popular. I think a lot of Crown watchers were waiting for the holiday weekend to binge it.

Has Netflix started releasing their numbers publicly?  I think Netflix claims whatever it wants to help push its shows, going back (to when I started giving them side-eye, no telling how much longer) to Birdbox.  Netflix has a nice self-fulfilling prophecy - they claim EVERYONE is watching show X, and then we all watch show X.  I don't care; I've normally enjoyed the shows its pushed on me.

• Love 3
51 minutes ago, lasu said:

Has Netflix started releasing their numbers publicly?

I don't think so; and their metrics are super weird. e.g., if you watched at least x minutes of y episodes of a show it's considered a viewing, even when x and y are very small numbers. 

Netflix doesn't release metrics, but I think they aren't afraid to say what the biggest show is at the moment, though of course there's some promotional reason behind it. "The Crown" is in season 4 and has a built-in audience, so it doesn't surprise me that it's the largest streaming show right now.

The Insider article "17 details you might have missed in 'The Queen's Gambit'" has something for every fan of the show:

and has links to many other interesting articles from various sources, including:

• Love 2

Golden Globes:

Best Performance by an Actress in a Limited Series or Motion Picture Made for Television 

Cate Blanchett (“Mrs. America”)

Daisy Edgar-Jones (“Normal People”)

Shira Haas (“Unorthodox”)

Nicole Kidman (“The Undoing”)

Anya Taylor-Joy (“The Queen’s Gambit”) (WINNER) 

Not a surprise here, but do feel bad for Daisy.

Producers Guild of America nomination!

David L. Wolper Award for Outstanding Producer of Limited Series Television

“I May Destroy You” (HBO)
Producers: eligibility determination pending

“Normal People” (Hulu)
Producers: Lenny Abrahamson, Sally Rooney, Ed Guiney, Andrew Lowe, Emma Norton, Anna Ferguson, Catherine Magee

“The Queen’s Gambit” (Netflix)
Producers: William Horberg, Allan Scott, Scott Frank, Marcus Loges, Mick Aniceto

“The Undoing” (HBO)
Producers: Susanne Bier, David E. Kelley, Per Saari, Nicole Kidman, Bruna Papandrea, Stephen Garrett, Celia Costas, Deb Dyer

“Unorthodox” (Netflix)
Producers: Anna Winger, Henning Kamm, Alexa Karolinksi

Costume Designers Guild Award nomination!

Excellence in Period Television
Bridgerton: "Diamond of the First Water" – Ellen Mirojnick & John W. Glaser III
The Crown: "Terra Nullius" – Amy Roberts
Lovecraft Country: "I Am." – Dayna Pink
Mrs. America: "Shirley" – Bina Daigeler
The Queen's Gambit: "End Game" – Gabriele Binder

Cinema Audio Society award!

NON-THEATRICAL MOTION PICTURE OR LIMITED SERIES

The Queen’s Gambit: Ep. 4 “Middle Game”

Production Mixer – Roland Winke
Re-Recording Mixer – Eric Hoehn
Re-Recording Mixer – Eric Hirsch
Re-Recording Mixer – Leo Marcil
Scoring Mixer – Lawrence Manchester

• Love 1

The Queen's Gambit was nominated for SEVEN Primetime Emmy Awards:

Outstanding Limited or Anthology Series

Outstanding Lead Actress in a Limited or Anthology Series or Movie: Anya Taylor-Joy

Outstanding Directing for a Limited or Anthology Series or Movie: Scott Frank

Outstanding Supporting Actress in a Limited or Anthology Series or Movie: Moses Ingram

Outstanding Writing for a Limited or Anthology Series or Movie: Scott Frank (teleplay by)

Outstanding Casting for a Limited Series, Movie or Special

Outstanding Supporting Actor in a Limited or Anthology Series or Movie: Thomas Brodie-Sangster

While I was happy to see Ingram and Brodie-Sangster get nominated, I cannot get over the feeling that Marielle Heller and Bill Camp were both robbed. 

• Love 2