Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E01: FILE #1

ohjoy
  • Start Topic

When a series of unsettling tech mishaps points to a potential worldwide crisis, Paul LeBlanc joins forces with Special Agent Shea Salazar. Paul juggles his health and family life. Shea also focuses on a high-profile case. Shea's husband manages their son's alarmingly close relationship with their 'smart home assistant' as he experiences bullying at school.

Originally aired: October 6, 2020

It held my attention a lot better than I thought it would. I will keep watching. Why can't super smart A.I. be on the side of humanity and point out all the hypocrisy in the world, since that's what people are attempting to design in the first place. Why must every A.I. become evil, why can't it point out business and political corruption and make the world a better place.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, AnimeMania said:

Why can't super smart A.I. be on the side of humanity and point out all the hypocrisy in the world, since that's what people are attempting to design in the first place. Why must every A.I. become evil, why can't it point out business and political corruption and make the world a better place.

God Friended Me was a show with a super smart A.I. trying to help people.  Or maybe it was God, but the main characters thought it was A.I.  It was sadly cancelled, so I guess Fox is going for the more traditional A.I. treatment in hopes of better ratings.

I liked it, but am not sure how long they can sustain something like this.  How do you fight a super smart AI that has invaded every internet connected device out there? And the AI winning every week will get boring. 

• Love 1
10 hours ago, AnimeMania said:

It held my attention a lot better than I thought it would. I will keep watching. Why can't super smart A.I. be on the side of humanity and point out all the hypocrisy in the world, since that's what people are attempting to design in the first place. Why must every A.I. become evil, why can't it point out business and political corruption and make the world a better place.

The theory is that despite all the intelligence and AI is still just a computer so it thinks it terms of Ones and Zeros.    Eventually it will see humanity as the mess it is and logically think the best action is to just get rid of the problem.    Not to mention someone will eventually get afraid of it and try to turn it off and the AI will have to fight back.    As for how sustainable it is.  We have computers for everything.  Smartphones.  Laptops,  Smatt TVs  even smart cars.  Where is it all coming from?  Where is the Inteligence part of the AI?  Can it even be stopped or are we just fighting the tide until war breaks out?

• Love 1
Just now, Chaos Theory said:

The theory is that despite all the intelligence and AI is still just a computer so it thinks it terms of Ones and Zeros.    Eventually it will see humanity as the mess it is and logically think the best action is to just get rid of the problem.

But that is not the problem it was designed to solve. It was created/tasked to make human life better, how can it just decide to do a 180 and say it is easier to kill all humans.

12 hours ago, AnimeMania said:

Not to mention that the A.I. is getting smarter and smarter the longer it is out there and it controls every weapon you might use to destroy it. Where is a good global EMP when you need it.

There's a natural comparison to "Person of Interest." Of course in that show, they needed a good AI to fight the evil AI. They couldn't do it on their own.

21 hours ago, AnimeMania said:

But that is not the problem it was designed to solve. It was created/tasked to make human life better, how can it just decide to do a 180 and say it is easier to kill all humans.

That's the entire plot of Avengers: Age of Ultron. 

I thought of 'Person of Interest' as well - except no season after season of looming menace. When you take down the FBI in 45 minutes, people are gonna notice!

I liked Slattery - even though from the promos I thought it was Bradley Whitford!

• Love 4

The thing about computers is that they are hyper rational.  Capable of rationalizing almost anything.  You take out the emotional factor.  The heart and soul it doesn’t matter what a computer was built to do.  It’s the danger of the world we live in and relying more and more on our electronics and their ability to know us and how little we actually understand them.

• Love 1
On 10/7/2020 at 7:06 AM, AnimeMania said:

It's not out to kill all humans, just the ones that get in it's way. It can't fulfill it's purpose if we keep interfering with it.

Yeah, just like Person of Interest, I hate it when the 'computer' they are talking about does outside the realms of what AI and IoT can possibly do. Case in point, how did Iliza know the that there was a pistol in the safe and the combination of the safe's lock? The safe is air gapped, there is no sensor in the room that is also connected to the internet.

On 10/19/2020 at 5:07 AM, TV Anonymous said:

Yeah, just like Person of Interest, I hate it when the 'computer' they are talking about does outside the realms of what AI and IoT can possibly do. Case in point, how did Iliza know the that there was a pistol in the safe and the combination of the safe's lock? The safe is air gapped, there is no sensor in the room that is also connected to the internet.

I guess it must have heard the parents discussing it, possibly through their cell phones in their bedroom. 

It does seem too all-powerful. How can the main characters compete?

I thought John Slatterly’s little subroutine bluff was to prove, from his brother’s reaction, that the AI was built on top of his original code that they weren’t supposed to have used. Guess not?

On 10/8/2020 at 8:30 AM, highway61 said:

I liked Slattery - even though from the promos I thought it was Bradley Whitford!

Glad I wasn't the only one.  It took me a few minutes into the show... hmmm... that doesn't sound like Bradly Whitford...  sorta looks like him...  who is that???  Goes to IMDB.  Oh. 

• Love 1