Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E07: The Two Faces Part 2

• Start Topic

I don’t quite get why they had Dani tied up and gagged for so much of the episode. Was the real plan to kill her, or not? Why let her witness everything first? 

I think I was just frustrated that it gave the character/actress so little to do.

• Love 3

This was the first episode I didn't like.  The Peter Becca dynamic doesn't work for me.  I don't buy that Becca would ever fall in love with Peter, they shouldn't have made his character so overtly horrible so quickly.  His awfulness should have been revealed much more slowly, after she had fallen in love.  I just can't buy that she would fall for him after his jealous rage about Owen.

• Love 14

All right, I got way too emotional over some parts of this. Really this is the episode where they gave Peter some depth and make you feel a little bad for him, but it’s overshadowed by him being a terrible person. 
I’m tired of faceless ghost lady killing everyone. 
I’m glad Rebecca was faking but it sucks that she didn’t save Miles. 

• Love 5

Peter is horrible and has spent most of his time in the show doing horrible things, right up to now at this very moment, but I did end up feeling rather bad for him a few times, especially for what is clearly a deeply screwed up backstory. I really feel like I need more of an idea as to why Rebecca fell so hard for him, she seems to be so sensible to go for a guy that is clearly sketchy at best, abusive at worst, but maybe its because of the daddy issues she mentioned early on? I dont know, but while I suspected that she didnt actually drown herself on purpose, the actual way it happened was still very sad. 

So Peters big plan is for he and Rebecca to take over the bodies of the kids and run off? Thats...nasty on several different levels. We also find out more about the faceless ghosts, who are apparently what happens when ghosts are in the house too long and lose their memories. I am rather disappointed that this season is less scary than last season (and not that the scares arent working, its that there arent many scares) but I do find it quite interesting. The themes of memory and how that pertains to identity is really interesting and is a consistent theme throughout the season so far, so finding out that the creepy faceless ghosts are ghosts that no longer have memories, so therefore no identities, seems to line up really well with what we have been seeing. Plus, ghost stories have often had themes of people being unable to move on, both literally as ghosts and metaphorical being unable to move past their past, so this season we have characters that are trapped in the past, both literally and metaphorically. 

• Love 5

I am finding this season to be...not scary in the traditional jump scares / horror, but really pretty damn horrifying. This was a disturbing and terrifying episode, IMO.

Peter's backstory, though not excusing his actions in any way, is a horror story. Not just the childhood abuse, and the betrayal by his own parents, but his mother then blackmailing him? And then reliving that beginning of the end for him, over and over. 

Rebecca, in her mind, being separated from the love of her life, but not able to leave with him, be with him? Disturbing. Again, not saying that this was SMART on her part, but seeing it from her perspective at the time.

Peter possessing Rebecca, but then apparently freaking out after seeing his own body in the lake and leaving her to die alone? That is incredibly horrifying. Her anger and grief at the lake was hard to watch.

On 10/12/2020 at 8:45 PM, tennisgurl said:

So Peters big plan is for he and Rebecca to take over the bodies of the kids and run off? Thats...nasty on several different levels. We also find out more about the faceless ghosts, who are apparently what happens when ghosts are in the house too long and lose their memories. I am rather disappointed that this season is less scary than last season (and not that the scares arent working, its that there arent many scares) but I do find it quite interesting. The themes of memory and how that pertains to identity is really interesting and is a consistent theme throughout the season so far, so finding out that the creepy faceless ghosts are ghosts that no longer have memories, so therefore no identities, seems to line up really well with what we have been seeing. Plus, ghost stories have often had themes of people being unable to move on, both literally as ghosts and metaphorical being unable to move past their past, so this season we have characters that are trapped in the past, both literally and metaphorically. 

Agreed with so much of this - the idea (I think) that Peter thinks that if they fully possess Miles and Flora (UGH), they will be able to leave the grounds. And justifying it to himself by (in his mind) giving them their parents back. I honestly don't want to think beyond that too much.

And agree with the idea of memory, identity, etc. The thought of being trapped at Bly, but losing memories over time...a blessing or a curse? Being stuck in a memory loop? 

Poor Miles...I hope he can be rescued somehow.

I honestly didn't see that coming with Dani. They were so close to leaving.

ETA: "Meep meep." I laughed and was also horrified. Miles as Quint was so well done.

Edited by CrazyDog
  • Love 8
3 hours ago, CrazyDog said:

Miles as Quint was so well done.

I've got to give that kid credit. He did a great job switching between sweet little troubled Miles and asshole with anger issues Peter Quint very well. It's a tough role to get right and I do think he did splendidly. 

• Love 17

That was horrifying, although it went on a bit too long. I checked the time. 

Peter killed his girlfriend, and then wanted to kill both children. How did he think they would leave, if the children are dead? They aren't alive anymore, so there is nobody to possess. 

• Love 2

I actually kind of liked this episode, although it moved pretty slowly. It got to the meat of what Henry James' "Turn of the Screw" was all about. Except in this adaptation, Miss Jessel is a hapless victim of Quint, while the novel hinted that both characters were equally depraved, and using the children as pawns to continue their warped relationship.

On 10/11/2020 at 12:54 PM, Brn2bwild said:

I'm confused.  I thought Hannah already knew she was dead.  Why did she need to be reminded?

I'm a bit confused by that too - maybe ghosts have no short term memory? As I've been watching this, I've been wondering if that's what it must be like for ghosts who haven't moved on - a constantly repeating time loop. I also wonder if it's a similar experience for people who are suffering from dementia. Still have no idea what Owen & Jamie's status is.

I kind of feel like the Joan Cusack character at the end of that movie "In & Out", but instead of yelling "Is Everybody Gay!?" I want to yell "IS EVERYBODY DEAD!?"

I'm hoping Dani somehow survives no-face lake lady, but I suspect she's also doomed to be trapped at Bly for all eternity.

• LOL 1

So Peter was molested as a child.  Gave no shits about that as Peter killed 2 women.

Rebecca was a forgone conclusion he would be the death of her.  

But Hannah?  What was the reason there?  She caught him stealing the jewels?

As we now know from when he died - that confronation happened when she was a ghost - and given the amount of time spent on that confrontation- that was probably the one visit back to that memory when he wasn't killed by the Lake Lady.  He's an ungrateful bastard.

I love the actors that played Hannah, Owen and Dani.  Watching Hannah in particular has made this show a worthwhile viewing.