Type keyword(s) to search

S29: Johnny Weir: Foxtrotting With the Skating Phenom

• Start Topic

Johnny Weir is one of the superstars of figure skating and a pop-culture icon. Born in Coatesville, Pennsylvania, he is a two time U.S. Olympian, three time U.S. National Figure Skating Champion, 2008 World bronze medalist, two time Grand Prix Final bronze medalist and the 2001 World Junior Figure Skating Champion, as well as NBC's lead figure skating commentator, ambassador to the Olympic Games and cultural icon. Weir is known for his commentary and provocative style during NBC's coverage of the Kentucky Derby, the Super Bowl, National Dog Show and Beverly Hills Dog Show. He's also known for producing and starring in the award-winning, Epix-produced 2014 documentary film, "To Russia With Love"; and for producing and starring in "Be Good Johnny Weir," and hosting the Facebook Watch series "Trading Faces." Most recently, Weir starred as Gabe in the Netflix drama "Spinning Out" and hosted Food Network's "Wedding Cake Championship." He continues his role as Winter Village Skating Ambassador for Bryant Park in New York City, commentating for NBC's coverage of the 2019-2020 figure skating season, and dazzling audiences with his skating while on tour around the world.

Dancing with Britt Stewart.

Johnny is the ONLY celeb I am interested in this season. Wish he were cast before this season. I'll be watching his dances on YouTube. As an avid viewer of this show, never missing an episode, I refuse to watch this show without Tom Bergeron.

Looking forward to the zany Johnny Weir.

• Love 9

Johnny is my number one pick for this season... he will definitely bring some liveliness and sparkle to the show 🙂 My second pick is Skaii... 🙂  

On 9/9/2020 at 7:45 PM, luvthepros said:

Johnny is the ONLY celeb I am interested in this season. Wish he were cast before this season. I'll be watching his dances on YouTube. As an avid viewer of this show, never missing an episode, I refuse to watch this show without Tom Bergeron.

Looking forward to the zany Johnny Weir.

Same here!!!

I confess I am rather disappointed with Johnny's performances.

I understand how different the technique for dancing would be from the technique for skating,  I am not knowledgeable enough about dance technique to judge that.

But the choreography seemed to be lacking - not making the best use of his talent.   Do you think a different partner would have made a difference? Who could have lit him up and excited us?

• Love 2
On 9/14/2020 at 4:51 AM, nickp1991 said:

Johnny Weir has a big advantage because skaters have a track record of winning the mirrorball trophy

On 9/14/2020 at 8:23 PM, legaleagle53 said:

Evan Lysacek says hello.

I think that’s a common thought but really only Kristi, Meryl and Adam won. Evan, Charlie, Nancy and Mirai all got knocked out at various stages and Dorothy quit. (I’m not even counting Tonya.) Am I forgetting anybody?

I did think Johnny would be a bit better than he seems to be right now, it’s kind of like he’s not sure how to make his feet move gracefully on the floor or something and is too much in his head about it. I hope he gets over that.

• Love 1

Dorothy really was injured though. I remember watching a fan video of her trying to walk into the dance studio, and her foot collapsed with every step - total foot drop or whatever they call it. It looked freaky! Poor Tristan. At least he got a job judging DWTS Australia - two years now. Good for him.