Type keyword(s) to search

S29: Carole Baskin: Cha-Cha-ing With All the Cool Cats and Kittens

• Start Topic

Carole Baskin is the founder and CEO of Big Cat Rescue, the world's most influential, accredited rescue facility for exotic cats. She and her family volunteer for the Tampa-based nonprofit as unpaid staff and have 100+ volunteers and a dozen interns from around the world. Successfully rehabilitating and releasing a number of bobcats and other native animals since 1992, Baskin and the organization have been featured on CNN, Animal Planet, Discovery, People Magazine, "The Today Show," Sports Illustrated, local media outlets and many more national and international programs. She also recently gained public attention in "Tiger King: Murder, Mayhem and Madness," Netflix's documentary series about Oklahoma-based private zoo operator Joe Exotic in a true murder-for-hire story from the underworld of big cat breeding. Over the years, Baskin has lectured in Costa Rica, Mexico, Panama, Brazil, Australia and countless cities across the U.S. as the host of Big Cat Rescue's Cat Chat Show, a live interview with cat experts from around the world. Additionally, she lectures at universities, law colleges and in numerous animal association conferences on cage construction, legislative affairs and sanctuary standards. 

Dancing with Pasha Pashkov.

In sort-of-related territory (except when it comes to networks, I don't believe that bandwagons &/or counter-programming is ever an accident), CBS is showing an episode of 48 hours entitled "Suspicion: the Tiger King mystery" this evening. My TV Guide says it is a new episode.

1 hour ago, babyhouseman said:

She's supposed to be doing Paso Doble to Eye of the Tiger according to Twitter.

Of course she is.

I'm wondering if "The Lion Sleeps Tonight" sneaks in there somewhere eventually as well.  Although I wonder how you dance to that.

Okay, so maybe "What’s New Pussycat" instead.

• LOL 3
  • Love 2
14 hours ago, AZChristian said:

Just sent a feedback comment to ABC.  With this ridiculous choice for a "star," we are done with DWTS.  Period.

I'm watching for Skaii and Johnny...but they must have been desperate for a final contestant to throw CB into the mix.  I'm not crazy about Tyra as a host either...her energy isn't right for the show.  (don't get me wrong...I like Tyra but I don't think she was a good hosting choice for this show).  Just my humble opinion...that and 5$ will buy my coffee today 🙂  

8 hours ago, mizzhyer said:

I'm watching for Skaii and Johnny...but they must have been desperate for a final contestant to throw CB into the mix.  I'm not crazy about Tyra as a host either...her energy isn't right for the show.  (don't get me wrong...I like Tyra but I don't think she was a good hosting choice for this show).  Just my humble opinion...that and 5$ will buy my coffee today 🙂  

I'm sorry to disagree, but I bet Carole Baskin was at the top of their wish list, not the bottom. They LIKE shady people on the show.  We know that.

• Useful 1
  • Love 6
On 9/9/2020 at 6:42 PM, Kromm said:

Of course she is.

I'm wondering if "The Lion Sleeps Tonight" sneaks in there somewhere eventually as well.  Although I wonder how you dance to that.

Okay, so maybe "What’s New Pussycat" instead.

Foxtrot for "The Lion Sleeps Tonight." For "What's New Pussycat" it would be the Viennese Waltz.

• Love 3

Their stunt casting is getting more rediculous.  She has no business being on this show, but what's even worse is there are enough idiots that will keep her on, like the idiots who kept Spicer on for too long. 

Seeing more commercials for the show, it's nothing but Tyra strutting like she's on the runway. She will never allow the show to be anything but her.  Sorry, but bringing her on is a MAJOR mistake.  

• Love 10
On 9/13/2020 at 10:33 AM, KLovestoShop said:

there are enough idiots that will keep her on, like the idiots who kept Spicer on for too long. 

The same contingent of fans who kept Spicer on are those who kept Bristol Palin on: conservatives. I don't think Baskin holds the same appeal for that particular voting bloc. Spicer also had a "so bad it's good" appeal to a lot of people, and Baskin wasn't even *that* terrible of a dancer.

Every time there's been a cast member who goes on in the show for longer than they should have, there's an obvious giant voting block. Hannah Brown benefitted from being a very recent part of Bachelor Nation, and somewhat controversial at that. Bobby Bones had the ENORMOUS country music fan bloc, along with the American Idol fan bloc.

Tiger King came out six months ago, was about 420 total minutes of footage, and not everyone has Netflix. She was one person in an 'ensemble' cast, so the majority of that footage didn't even show her, though I admit she had more 'presence' thanks to Joe Exotic's obsession with her. Sure, there's intrigue about did she/didn't she kill her husband, but I don't think that is enough of a pull to keep her around for too long. The entire show was full of weird people, and at the end, I didn't even find her the most compelling; there were at least five people more compelling than her (like the dude who's definitely running a cult).

Even though I myself am a True Crime lover, I don't see this group as a big enough voting bloc to be able to keep her, even if we wanted to.

But I could have a totally incorrect read on it, and she could make it deep in the competition. It is 2020, the strangest and trippiest year we've ever had, so absolutely anything could happen.

Edited by dvr devotee
  • Love 2
10 hours ago, treeofdreams said:

I don't know a thing about what people have against Carole.  Can someone please summarize?  Thanks.

People think she killed her husband and fed him to her tigers due to what was presented in the Tiger King documentary.  She also has a big cat sanctuary that didn't look much better than Joe Exotic's sanctuary...but I've heard the people who made the documentary did that on purpose (just like they left out Joe Exotic's rampant racism but kept in him threatening to kill Carole and their years-long battle over big cats and their care).

• Love 3

Ugh.  I fear she's going to be around until the producers run out of cat-themed songs for her.  This week is Disney week.... hmm, is it any surprise which movie her song will come from?

We are sure to have "Cat Scratch Fever", "The Lion Sleeps Tonight".  "Don'cha" by the Pussycat Dolls for the cha cha.  And I'm sure they will contrive to keep her around until Broadway night so she can do the waltz to "Memory".  I can already picture Bruno now.  "So beeeeyoootifulll.  So elegant!"  Sigh.

• Love 1