Type keyword(s) to search

Thrive Without Janelle: The Accountability Group

• Start Topic

On 7/3/2023 at 11:09 PM, Yeah No said:

I just wanted to report that I've lost one of those two pounds I gained.  I've just been keepin' on, keepin' on with my usual routine and ramping up the exercise a little, which I think is helping.

It isn't easy with all the quirky symptoms I get out of nowhere all the time.  Recently I've been suffering from dry mouth and feeling "off" every now and then since the vertigo episode at the end of April.  I saw my gastro. last week and he thinks my water pill might be dehydrating me and causing both the dry mouth and the "off" feeling and vertigo.  He knows how I'm always getting more sensitive to medications.  So now I'm cutting down on that to see if it helps.  Unfortunately a million things can cause dizziness and vertigo so I'm not sure if maybe one of my supplements like magnesium or even liquorice root is causing it.  

I have a BBQ coming up so that will be my next diet challenge, and lunch with two friends the next two days in a row.  So wish me luck!

BBQs aren’t so bad — there’s always protein, watermelon, veggies, beans, some kind of garden salad, etc. I find BBQs in summer to have far more healthy choices than the winter holiday parties (at least ones I’ve been to, there’s no cake or pies or cookies because that stuff just melts in the heat).

I’ve been on and off plant based, but at BBQs will eat chicken and burgers without the bun. They’re so much less stressful than thanksgiving with the carb-heavy sugar laden choices. 

• Like 7
(edited)

6,891 steps yesterday.

A little more walking than I had planned, but neighbor was back to continue yard clean up and kept asking what to cut and what to leave. So I was inside, outside, inside, outside more than normal.

Right knee is aching so will have to baby it today.

Update on fire: boat in garage supposedly just broke into fire.  Destroyed boat, brand new truck in garage, all contents of garage and garage burned to the ground. Also melted new siding on home of neighbor on the other side. I'm a little skeptical of "reported" cause... At least no one was hurt.

Edited by Gramto6
  • Like 4
  • Useful 1
On 7/4/2023 at 1:00 PM, Gramto6 said:

@Yeah No Glad to hear you are going in the right direction again! Yay! I hope you can get the other issues resolved quickly. I know you are extremely sensitive to thing as I am too. I tried Licorice root once a loooong time ago and had a bed enough reaction to it I will never take it again. It was so long ago (20+ yrs) I don't remember the reaction, but I remember it was bad and to stay away from the Licorice root supplement forever. Though I have been known to be a red licorice lover...LOL!

Supplements have been known to cause as bad reactions as some meds so be very aware of any changes when you try something new. Research has been my best friend on that front.

Thanks, Gram, although I seem to have gained that pound back again out of nowhere.  It's been extremely hot and steamy these days, which historically causes me to gain a couple of pounds just on water retention alone, but I also have slacked off on my water pill to see if my doctor is right about it causing dehydration.  That could also be the cause of more water retention and hence weight gain.  I also stopped taking the licorice.  My symptoms seem to be subsiding so now I'm wondering which one is the culprit.  Then I'm finding out that just about every supplement can cause dizziness, even magnesium!  So I've cut down on that too.  It's never easy for me!  I am always on high alert when I get prescribed something new and start with a very, very low dose.  But I'm thinking that I've recently become more sensitive to things I've been taking for a long time without any side effects, and that's even harder to figure out.  I'm encouraged by feeling fewer symptoms so hopefully I'm getting closer to the answer.

• Like 2
  • Useful 1
On 7/7/2023 at 8:06 AM, TurtlePower said:

BBQs aren’t so bad — there’s always protein, watermelon, veggies, beans, some kind of garden salad, etc. I find BBQs in summer to have far more healthy choices than the winter holiday parties (at least ones I’ve been to, there’s no cake or pies or cookies because that stuff just melts in the heat).

I’ve been on and off plant based, but at BBQs will eat chicken and burgers without the bun. They’re so much less stressful than thanksgiving with the carb-heavy sugar laden choices. 

Hah, that's what I thought too but no such luck at this barbecue!  The only thing they put out that wasn't a diet nightmare was my usual go-to of cut raw veggies with ranch dressing dip.  Otherwise it was a non-stop food nightmare.  They even got the more expensive and more fattening hot dogs and special hamburger blend from the fancy butcher shop around here (these people are super-rich).  There were no lean meats, no veggie sides (only macaroni and potato salad smothered in mayo.) and no cut fruit whatsoever.  Just heavy bakery cakes their daughter brought from bakery in White Plains, NY.  One was a vanilla sheet cake with the American flag on it and the other was some kind of coconut/tiramisu cake.  I had thimblefuls of both and only half a hot dog and the smallest burger I could find.  I also had a margarita with very little rum in it.  I'm not used to so much sugar!

What gets me is these people just came back from a 6 week round the world trip and did nothing but talk about all the great (and fattening) food they ate everywhere.  The man has definitely put on a few pounds since I last saw him but the woman is as skinny as she ever was.  He doesn't care about his appearance (or his health, obviously) and she can eat what she wants and doesn't have to worry about her weight.  So of course they put out food like this.   She did split the hot dog with me, but she's a retired nurse, she should know better, IMO.

I compensated for this food by not eating much dinner - OK I made a small lettuce salad with a light vinegar dressing and had veggie tray and a sugar/fat free Jello pudding cup.  But that was it for the day.

And I've been eating super-light since then too but of course my body does what it wants despite my best efforts.

Anyway, these people have invited us to go visit them in Florida in the Fall and my husband wants to go.   I'm just afraid it's going to be another nightmare situation from a diet perspective.  Even he doesn't have the problem I do (of course his weight issues were a result of him eating too much and poorly so he's a different story altogether).  He says he has already lost the pound he gained from the BBQ.  

I'm glad I have this forum to gripe about my situation because most people wouldn't understand my issue.  Thanks to you and everyone here for your sympathy and support!

• Like 1
  • Mind Blown 1
  • Useful 1

7,319 steps yesterday. Still trying to keep from pushing the count. I do feel better for it.  I still find myself wanting to do more and then telling myself no, not now...

• Like 5

I guess I got myself riled up thinking about that BBQ.  It's just that when I've given BBQs in the past I've thought about the dietary issues and restrictions of my guests and planned accordingly.  When I've had vegetarians and/or vegans over I've offered plenty of grilled veggies and other healthy non-meat choices.  Even when I got married over 40 years ago I made sure that one separate layer of my wedding cake didn't have rum in it for any recovered alcoholics in attendance (and we had  a couple). 

These people are SUPER rich so it's not like it would have broken their budget to have some healthy food out.  And they know very well that my husband is diabetic and that we have been on a weight loss program so there's no reason they couldn't have given some consideration to our issues.  They have eaten out with us once or twice since then and seen what we ordered and have talked with us about it so they knew.  They offered us full fat/sugar Breyer's ice cream and we declined.  I mentioned the Breyer's "Carb Smart" and the woman said she knows about it and  likes it.  Well, then why didn't they have it?  LOL  

I think these people think that on holidays it's OK to go on a diet vacation but if I thought that on every holiday I would still gain weight.  Every occasion can be an excuse to say, "It's only once a year".  Like birthdays and going to special restaurants, etc. 

Anyway, thanks for letting me vent!

• Like 3
22 hours ago, Yeah No said:

Hah, that's what I thought too but no such luck at this barbecue!  The only thing they put out that wasn't a diet nightmare was my usual go-to of cut raw veggies with ranch dressing dip.  Otherwise it was a non-stop food nightmare.  They even got the more expensive and more fattening hot dogs and special hamburger blend from the fancy butcher shop around here (these people are super-rich).  There were no lean meats, no veggie sides (only macaroni and potato salad smothered in mayo.) and no cut fruit whatsoever.  Just heavy bakery cakes their daughter brought from bakery in White Plains, NY.  One was a vanilla sheet cake with the American flag on it and the other was some kind of coconut/tiramisu cake.  I had thimblefuls of both and only half a hot dog and the smallest burger I could find.  I also had a margarita with very little rum in it.  I'm not used to so much sugar!

What gets me is these people just came back from a 6 week round the world trip and did nothing but talk about all the great (and fattening) food they ate everywhere.  The man has definitely put on a few pounds since I last saw him but the woman is as skinny as she ever was.  He doesn't care about his appearance (or his health, obviously) and she can eat what she wants and doesn't have to worry about her weight.  So of course they put out food like this.   She did split the hot dog with me, but she's a retired nurse, she should know better, IMO.

I compensated for this food by not eating much dinner - OK I made a small lettuce salad with a light vinegar dressing and had veggie tray and a sugar/fat free Jello pudding cup.  But that was it for the day.

And I've been eating super-light since then too but of course my body does what it wants despite my best efforts.

Anyway, these people have invited us to go visit them in Florida in the Fall and my husband wants to go.   I'm just afraid it's going to be another nightmare situation from a diet perspective.  Even he doesn't have the problem I do (of course his weight issues were a result of him eating too much and poorly so he's a different story altogether).  He says he has already lost the pound he gained from the BBQ.  

I'm glad I have this forum to gripe about my situation because most people wouldn't understand my issue.  Thanks to you and everyone here for your sympathy and support!

I have never in my life heard of such a BBQ. That sounds like a nightmare. Every BBQ I have *ever* been to has had watermelon, veggie dishes, mixed fruit, baked beans and at least chicken as a healthy protein. Even when I didn’t eat meat there was always something. 

Despite the nightmare, sounds like you did okay with it. Who has that many cakes at a BBQ? 

• Like 3
(edited)
1 hour ago, TurtlePower said:

I have never in my life heard of such a BBQ. That sounds like a nightmare. Every BBQ I have *ever* been to has had watermelon, veggie dishes, mixed fruit, baked beans and at least chicken as a healthy protein. Even when I didn’t eat meat there was always something. 

Despite the nightmare, sounds like you did okay with it. Who has that many cakes at a BBQ? 

I know, even when my sister in law gives a BBQ she puts out a lettuce salad and fruit, a wheel of cocktail shrimp, sometimes watermelon and often baked beans or even a lightly vinegar based pasta salad.  And often chicken legs too.  And she's not the pinnacle of healthy eating either.  

I couldn't get over the cakes at this BBQ.  There were 2 sheet cakes each big enough to feed at least two dozen people at an event that only had 8 people in attendance including me and my husband!  Now I know many people are bad judges of how much food to put out and often put out too much, but this was ridiculous.  And I know no one else was invited either.  After I wrote my post above my husband corrected me that it was their daughter's friend that brought the cakes, not their daughter.  OK, but it was still ridiculous.  She went home with TONS of cake and she lives alone.  What was strange is she didn't offer to give cake out to anyone that wanted to take some home and the hosts of the barbecue didn't offer to keep any either.  Usually when there is lots of food leftover people are encouraged by the host or whoever brought it over to take some home, especially if the person who brought it lives alone and couldn't possibly eat it all by themselves.  And I know she doesn't have family in the area she could bring it to either because she's an immigrant and she talked all about being alone in this area and her family back home.  So strange!

Also what gets me is that the recently retired hosts of the event worked for a major health insurance company, not in a medical capacity, but still, the woman was a nurse and does know something about healthy eating.  My mind boggles!

Edited by Yeah No
  • Like 2

7,586 steps yesterday.

Still on take it easy mode. Tomorrow will be busy with new dr appointment and since I will be out, I will do a few errands. So today I will try to rest as much as possible. The only thing I have to do is take the garbage up to the road and that is all.

@Yeah No, I agree with @TurtlePower, that is the. strangest BBQ layout I have ever heard of! I'm glad you were somehow able to navigate through it.

• Like 4

7,557 steps yesterday. Today will be sort of busy.

Big storm went through last evening. Lost internet, using phone to get online, don't know if that is going to cost a lot so will be logging off and hoping by the time I get back from meeting my new dr that I will be back online.

• Like 5
50 minutes ago, Gramto6 said:

7,557 steps yesterday. Today will be sort of busy.

Big storm went through last evening. Lost internet, using phone to get online, don't know if that is going to cost a lot so will be logging off and hoping by the time I get back from meeting my new dr that I will be back online.

Well, lawdy, I've been in your neck of the woods (Montana) for the last several days!  The mosquitoes have about eaten us up, and I swear they're as big as my !  But you can tell that this part if the West has gotten a LOT of rain, for everything is sooo green, and the wildflowers are plentiful, and the grasses smell heavenly.  🥰

It's been a good run so far this summer.  However, the crowds seem to be down bit; not as many R.V.ers out on the roads.  Our miles are down, not as much freight moving this year.  Can't tell if it's just a normal summer season or if we're headed into tougher times.  Still, the scenery is magnificent.  😍

• Like 7
(edited)

Yay! Back online about 9:30 AM. Amazing how much I missed it!!

Thanks @Rabbit Hutch! Yes, it has been unusually wet this Spring and a bit this Summer too. It is indeed beautiful with everything blooming all over. But I am really ready for dry weather for a while! I have so many birds around here the mosquitoes really aren't much of a problem. But when I go somewhere, yep, there they are and I am a magnet!! 

Hope your season picks up, I don't even want to think of more "supply chain" excuses or odd shortages again this year!

Edited by Gramto6
  • Like 4
(edited)

7,107 steps yesterday.

I'm thinking maybe it is time to try going up to 8,000 steps as a max and see how that feels. Not planning on going much higher than that most likely ever.

At pcp appointment yesterday, after she listened to my heart she said I have a heart murmur. First I ever heard of that. She said not necessarily a bad thing and didn't seem worried. Just one more thing to worry me in the back of my mind.

Also she found all sorts of odd things in my files. Many had nothing to do with any procedure or problem I have ever had. Like one entry said I had a hip replacement! Not something anyone would forget. She said she already had deleted a lot of thing she knew were wrong...makes me wonder if some sort of insurance fraud was going on or else extreme lack of competence in the entry system. Wow and old pcp never noticed any of this after nearly 20 years with him! So glad I dumped him!

Edited by Gramto6
typo
  • Mind Blown 6
  • Hugs 1
  • Love 1

My medical records show I had an ileostomy!  Another thing one would notice.  I need to work on getting that deleted.  It does make one wonder about general competency.

• Like 3
  • Mind Blown 2
On 7/10/2023 at 9:44 AM, Yeah No said:

I know, even when my sister in law gives a BBQ she puts out a lettuce salad and fruit, a wheel of cocktail shrimp, sometimes watermelon and often baked beans or even a lightly vinegar based pasta salad.  And often chicken legs too.  And she's not the pinnacle of healthy eating either.  

I couldn't get over the cakes at this BBQ.  There were 2 sheet cakes each big enough to feed at least two dozen people at an event that only had 8 people in attendance including me and my husband!  Now I know many people are bad judges of how much food to put out and often put out too much, but this was ridiculous.  And I know no one else was invited either.  After I wrote my post above my husband corrected me that it was their daughter's friend that brought the cakes, not their daughter.  OK, but it was still ridiculous.  She went home with TONS of cake and she lives alone.  What was strange is she didn't offer to give cake out to anyone that wanted to take some home and the hosts of the barbecue didn't offer to keep any either.  Usually when there is lots of food leftover people are encouraged by the host or whoever brought it over to take some home, especially if the person who brought it lives alone and couldn't possibly eat it all by themselves.  And I know she doesn't have family in the area she could bring it to either because she's an immigrant and she talked all about being alone in this area and her family back home.  So strange!

Also what gets me is that the recently retired hosts of the event worked for a major health insurance company, not in a medical capacity, but still, the woman was a nurse and does know something about healthy eating.  My mind boggles!

When lots of people think BBQ, they go all out and don’t think of low calorie or what’s good for you.  My Italian husband’s family go to town with BBQ.  Sausage, burgers, steak, salads with Mayo and pastries.  Most of them live well into their high nineties.  I’ve seen people who run, work out and eat healthy, then have a heart attack and die at a fairly young age.  It’s how your body is made.  Lots of people take cholesterol pills now, which  I. Believe help a great deal.  Funny story.  My husband had open heart surgery.  His Cardio surgeon was in the hospital  cafeteria after the surgery.  He was eating two hotdogs and cheesecake for desert.  A heart surgeon no less.

• Like 1
  • Mind Blown 1
  • LOL 2
13 hours ago, Gramto6 said:

7,107 steps yesterday.

I'm thinking maybe it is time to try going up to 8,000 steps as a max and see how that feels. Not planning on going much higher than that most likely ever.

At pcp appointment yesterday, after she listened to my heart she said I have a heart murmur. First I ever heard of that. She said not necessarily a bad thing and didn't seem worried. Just one more thing to worry me in the back of my mind.

Also she found all sorts of odd things in my files. Many had nothing to do with any procedure or problem I have ever had. Like one entry said I had a hip replacement! Not something anyone would forget. She said she already had deleted a lot of thing she knew were wrong...makes me wonder if some sort of insurance fraud was going on or else extreme lack of competence in the entry system. Wow and old pcp never noticed any of this after nearly 20 years with him! So glad I dumped him!

My files showed that I had a healed ulcer.  I knew for a fact I did not, in fact the gastro. I had at the time that entry was made did an endoscopy of my stomach and said there were no scars whatsoever or even signs of acid reflux at the time (this was prior to my gallbladder removal).  Unfortunately he had left his practice and moved somewhere else so I couldn't really talk to him about it and have it removed.  And by now (this was several years ago) he probably wouldn't remember anyway.  And my present gastro. has never told me I had an ulcer and never noted it in my file either going back to when I first started seeing him in 2018.  I just think it's incompetence.  It's rampant everywhere these days. 

I just went through something like that with the forms I filled out to collect my retirement annuity which I had from when I worked in higher education.  I was put through the wringer by being told I had to fill out a 20 page form consisting of all "curve ball" questions, which I had help filling out from someone at their customer service center (and my accountant).  It also had to be notarized then scanned and uploaded to my account.  Some of the fields in the form were pre-filled, like my retirement account numbers.  Well, wouldn't you know I got told there were "errors on the form" and it had to be resubmitted?  It turns out the person pre-filling my account numbers got them wrong.  So now I have to print out that page, fill the numbers in correctly, rescan the entire document and re-upload it to my account.  I was told that they wouldn't accept just the corrected page. 

• Like 1
  • Hugs 1
  • Useful 1
(edited)
6 hours ago, kristen111 said:

When lots of people think BBQ, they go all out and don’t think of low calorie or what’s good for you.  My Italian husband’s family go to town with BBQ.  Sausage, burgers, steak, salads with Mayo and pastries.  Most of them live well into their high nineties.  I’ve seen people who run, work out and eat healthy, then have a heart attack and die at a fairly young age.  It’s how your body is made.  Lots of people take cholesterol pills now, which  I. Believe help a great deal.  Funny story.  My husband had open heart surgery.  His Cardio surgeon was in the hospital  cafeteria after the surgery.  He was eating two hotdogs and cheesecake for desert.  A heart surgeon no less.

My father ate what he wanted and lived into his '90s.  He would have lived longer if not for Covid.  He thought he ate healthy but he had no idea what healthy food was.  He thought chicken pot pie with a heavy crust was a healthy diet dish because it had chicken in it, LOL.  But then again he had to have a triple bypass operation in his '80s.  That didn't stop him, he just kept eating ribs, pot roast, fried chicken, pasta, etc.  And he never had a weight problem in his life.  I was like him up until menopause then I became like my mother.

BTW, these people didn't go all out for this BBQ.  It was very bare bones.  Just hot dogs, hamburgers, cheese and crackers, veggie sticks and ranch dressing, pre-made potato and macaroni salad and the 2 cakes that their daughter's friend brought.  And that was it!  I couldn't get over that.  I had never seen such a limited number of dishes out.  I know the man is not a foodie and likes things very basic, but my sister in law is by far not a foodie and is definitely not rich but even she would put out a lot more variety.  Oh, and get this - they didn't even put out lettuce and tomato for the burgers or anything other than a slice of cheese on top.  I still think the whole thing was very strange especially from people who are multi millionaires and then some.  Like I mentioned before, they just got back from a 2 week round the world trip to several exotic places, and when they they travel they go 1st class and stay at the finest hotels, too.  They have more money than they know what to do with and yet this is what they put out, LOL.  My mind still boggles.

Edited by Yeah No
  • Like 2

I am glad that it isn't just me, but I am sorry for anyone that has to go through the hassle involved with getting this deleted. My new pcp is being really thorough about it and I really appreciate that! 

Yes incompetence is sadly rampant but when it comes to health records it is really scary.  What if you were to come into Emergency unconscious and the drs relied on erroneous info in the patient history to treat you. There could be very serious results.

• Like 3
12 minutes ago, Gramto6 said:

I am glad that it isn't just me, but I am sorry for anyone that has to go through the hassle involved with getting this deleted. My new pcp is being really thorough about it and I really appreciate that! 

Yes incompetence is sadly rampant but when it comes to health records it is really scary.  What if you were to come into Emergency unconscious and the drs relied on erroneous info in the patient history to treat you. There could be very serious results.

I know I worry about that all the time given my extreme sensitivity and allergies to medications.  They are always reconfirming your issues when you're in the hospital but what if you're unconscious and can't do that?  It's very scary.  And I don't want to have to wear one of those bracelets or necklaces either with that stuff on it.

• Like 2

This is very minor, but another example of lack of attention to medical details was that I had a skin biopsy of my right thigh (when I had the rash that led to my autoimmune dx). But the report lists it as left thigh.

Fortunately when I had a tumor in my left breast, they operated on the correct side. Same with my cataract surgery (left eye only). LOL

• Mind Blown 1

Fortunately (?) when I had the tumor in my right breast, I opted for a double mastectomy so no problems there. When I had cataract surgery it was in both eyes so no problems there either. But really, a hip replacement??? Yikes that is a big error!

• Like 1

7,334 steps yesterday.

I'm just fine with that. It is going to be really hot here (mid 90's which is not typical at all) the next few days and I am sticking close to home so won't have any "bonus" steps for errands.

• Like 4

Back in 2016 when I broke my arm and needed surgery I lost count of how many times the doctors, nurses and technicians reconfirmed that they were going to operate on my right arm.  In fact, they drew a big X on it just to make sure no one got confused.  They told me this is regular procedure all the time now. 

I also wanted to report that I have stopped taking both my water pill and the licorice tablets completely for the past few days and have not felt "off kilter" in at least 4 days now except once for a few minutes when my head got a little too hot from my blow dryer (my mistake).  So I'm pretty positive one of those pills was the culprit - I'm still leaning toward the water pill.  I don't want to break out the brass band just yet, though, because I still don't feel 100%.  I'm almost there so fingers crossed!

• Like 9
7 hours ago, Yeah No said:

I also wanted to report that I have stopped taking both my water pill

Were you taking an OTC on your own to combat water weight, or was it prescribed for a medical reason?

(edited)
2 hours ago, ginger90 said:

Were you taking an OTC on your own to combat water weight, or was it prescribed for a medical reason?

It was prescribed.  I suffer from edema of the lower legs, something my father also suffered from and he says his mother as well, starting over the age of 45 or so.  The doctors think it might be hereditary as veinous issues have been ruled out and no other medical cause found.  I think having a stomach makes it worse because when I was 30 lbs. thinner this was not an issue.  It really started with menopausal weight gain and the onset of my uterine fibroids.  It's a "catch 22" situation because the edema makes it harder for me to lose weight but weight loss is what would relieve the edema.  Since my recent weight loss it has improved but not nearly enough, and it's always worse in the summer when everyone retains more water.  I manage it well, though.  I wear compression hose in the house and at night and elevate my legs when watching TV and in bed which relieves it after a long day of walking.  Also, not having a desk job for the past several years has helped immensely because that was aggravating it.

Since I've tapered off the water pill I've noticed a slight increase in my leg swelling, which concerns me.  I also think some of the weight gain might be due to that as well as the weather.  Being sensitive to medications is a real issue because any drug that might help me get out of this bind is likely to cause me other intolerable issues.  This was the only water pill that didn't give me bad side effects for years until now, obviously.  And I haven't found any doctors that are up to dealing with my issues successfully other than my gastro.  I'm going to thank him for suggesting that the water pill was making me dizzy because I think he was right.  He is also responsible for helping me with my gastro. issues as well.  I was told that he is one of the pre-eminent gastro's in the entire state so that tells you something.  These days it seems like most doctors are nothing more than pill pushers and if you can't take whatever pills they push at you they just give up.

I just remembered yesterday that in the last 9 years of his life my father was on a water pill.  I don't remember who prescribed it or why, maybe because of his leg swelling or his heart as he had a triple bypass in 2010.  I used to periodically talk to him about his medications just to be sure he was on track with them and he mentioned after a few years that he had to cut the dose of the water pill because it was making him feel "woozy" (one of his favorite words, LOL).  In the last few years of his life he lost about 20 lbs. and his legs stopped swelling altogether so he stopped taking the water pill, which I think was a good idea as he felt it was dehydrating him.  Well, that sounds familiar, doesn't it?  Now if I could only lose another 20 lbs. I know it would help my swelling too.  But aye, there's the rub, right?  I still can't get rid of these 2 lbs. I recently gained, despite stepping up my efforts!  But as I say I usually gain about 2 or 3 lbs. in the hot weather and lose it every Fall when it gets cooler.  It's kind of like daylight savings time for weight except in reverse.  Spring gain/Fall lose, LOL.

Anyway, thanks for your concern.

Edited by Yeah No
  • Like 4
10 hours ago, Yeah No said:

Back in 2016 when I broke my arm and needed surgery I lost count of how many times the doctors, nurses and technicians reconfirmed that they were going to operate on my right arm.  In fact, they drew a big X on it just to make sure no one got confused.  They told me this is regular procedure all the time now. 

I also wanted to report that I have stopped taking both my water pill and the licorice tablets completely for the past few days and have not felt "off kilter" in at least 4 days now except once for a few minutes when my head got a little too hot from my blow dryer (my mistake).  So I'm pretty positive one of those pills was the culprit - I'm still leaning toward the water pill.  I don't want to break out the brass band just yet, though, because I still don't feel 100%.  I'm almost there so fingers crossed!

FYI, my water pill started making my hair fall out in gobs.  I only take it a couple of days a week, now.  Hair loss decreased dramatically.  

• Like 2
  • Mind Blown 4
2 hours ago, Yeah No said:

It was prescribed.  I suffer from edema of the lower legs, something my father also suffered from and he says his mother as well, starting over the age of 45 or so.  The doctors think it might be hereditary as veinous issues have been ruled out and no other medical cause found.  I think having a stomach makes it worse because when I was 30 lbs. thinner this was not an issue.  It really started with menopausal weight gain and the onset of my uterine fibroids.  It's a "catch 22" situation because the edema makes it harder for me to lose weight but weight loss is what would relieve the edema.  Since my recent weight loss it has improved but not nearly enough, and it's always worse in the summer when everyone retains more water.  I manage it well, though.  I wear compression hose in the house and at night and elevate my legs when watching TV and in bed which relieves it after a long day of walking.  Also, not having a desk job for the past several years has helped immensely because that was aggravating it.

Since I've tapered off the water pill I've noticed a slight increase in my leg swelling, which concerns me.  I also think some of the weight gain might be due to that as well as the weather.  Being sensitive to medications is a real issue because any drug that might help me get out of this bind is likely to cause me other intolerable issues.  This was the only water pill that didn't give me bad side effects for years until now, obviously.  And I haven't found any doctors that are up to dealing with my issues successfully other than my gastro.  I'm going to thank him for suggesting that the water pill was making me dizzy because I think he was right.  He is also responsible for helping me with my gastro. issues as well.  I was told that he is one of the pre-eminent gastro's in the entire state so that tells you something.  These days it seems like most doctors are nothing more than pill pushers and if you can't take whatever pills they push at you they just give up.

I just remembered yesterday that in the last 9 years of his life my father was on a water pill.  I don't remember who prescribed it or why, maybe because of his leg swelling or his heart as he had a triple bypass in 2010.  I used to periodically talk to him about his medications just to be sure he was on track with them and he mentioned after a few years that he had to cut the dose of the water pill because it was making him feel "woozy" (one of his favorite words, LOL).  In the last few years of his life he lost about 20 lbs. and his legs stopped swelling altogether so he stopped taking the water pill, which I think was a good idea as he felt it was dehydrating him.  Well, that sounds familiar, doesn't it?  Now if I could only lose another 20 lbs. I know it would help my swelling too.  But aye, there's the rub, right?  I still can't get rid of these 2 lbs. I recently gained, despite stepping up my efforts!  But as I say I usually gain about 2 or 3 lbs. in the hot weather and lose it every Fall when it gets cooler.  It's kind of like daylight savings time for weight except in reverse.  Spring gain/Fall lose, LOL.

Anyway, thanks for your concern.

Be very careful! Since you weigh yourself anyway, you may want to do it daily when you wake up each morning, just to be on the safe side. CHF of course, is no joke. Did your doctor approve stopping it?

I have had people who have to weigh themselves like I said above, and that reading went directly to the doctor. They would receive a call if it indicated a higher dose for that day.

• Like 2
  • Useful 1

7,316 steps yesterday. OK with that, seems I have settled a bit into this count...

I have some swelling in my right leg only...very slight, but my old pcp wanted to put me on a water pill. At that time I was still in the back brace and was peeing so much I thought maybe the brace was pressing on my bladder so I refused the pill.  (When I had the brace off, the neurologist said yes, it probably was!)  My gastro said the swelling was not anything serious especially when I told him I had toxemia with both pregnancies. He said that would definitely cause this type of water retention...  Of all my drs I trust the Gastro the most at this point.

• Like 5
(edited)
15 hours ago, Rabbit Hutch said:

FYI, my water pill started making my hair fall out in gobs.  I only take it a couple of days a week, now.  Hair loss decreased dramatically.  

Ouch, that's scary.  I read that the one I was taking is not supposed to have that side effect and I never noticed any hair falling out because of it.  I once did have a scary bout with hair breakage but then found out it was due to anemia, which I had gotten during perimenopause thanks to heavier periods.

13 hours ago, ginger90 said:

Be very careful! Since you weigh yourself anyway, you may want to do it daily when you wake up each morning, just to be on the safe side. CHF of course, is no joke. Did your doctor approve stopping it?

I have had people who have to weigh themselves like I said above, and that reading went directly to the doctor. They would receive a call if it indicated a higher dose for that day.

My gastro. told me to taper off of it to see if that was causing the dizziness, but not my primary doctor.  I'll have to write to her about it, although she was not the original doctor that prescribed it for me (he's retired now).  She only renews it because it was already one of my regular meds. when I started seeing her.  So I don't know if anyone at this point would say I absolutely need to be on it.

I don't have CHF and neither did my dad.  I've been cleared for all the "usual suspects" that cause this condition.  No one can actually agree on what it is.  I was told it was probably venous insufficiency so several years ago I went for an extensive vein test and found out it wasn't a vein issue, it was edema.  Everyone that looks at it has a different opinion on what it is.  A nurse once told me it looked like lymphedema but I don't believe that because it doesn't act like lymphedema.  It almost completely goes away in the Winter.  I have some shoes in 2 sizes because my feet are bigger in the Summer by half a size.  When I wake up in the morning it's better after having my legs elevated in compression hose all night.   And it really gets better with weight loss.  I already can't fit into shoes I wore last year without adding insoles to make them fit tighter.  

I have my own personal theory on what it is.  I think I'm suffering from what pregnant women suffer from when their feet and legs swell because their growing uterus restricts the flow of fluid.  My uterus has an 11 cm. fibroid in it and another small one so that's a big uterus.  It's like I'm 3 months pregnant!  Add to that my post-menopausal weight gain around the middle and that makes it even worse.  I've been to two gynecologist specialists that tell me that I'm not a candidate for fibroid removal.  If I wanted to get rid of the fibroids I'd have to get a hysterectomy.  I don't like the idea of having surgery unless it's absolutely necessary, plus there's no guarantee it would actually work to solve my problem.  So that's what I think and where I am.

I found this on the subject interesting.

And this.

Note that I've had pretty much all of the symptoms mentioned here including the issue with bending over and urinary urgency.  It's like there's a balloon in my stomach.  And before menopause toward the end I had very heavy periods and became anemic.  The second link talks about UAE (Uterine Artery Embolization), which is something I might consider but so far both gyns. I saw weren't fans of it and told me it might not work.  They seem to always want to push hysterectomy.  Of course even UAE isn't without its potential risks.  I just can't seem to find the right doctor that can really help me with this.  I thought I had found one but she turned out to be a big zero.  I told her my theory but all she could do was say there was no way to know for sure if the fibroids were the cause of my issues or whether any kind of procedure would help, so she really couldn't recommend anything.  

Edited by Yeah No
  • Like 4
24 minutes ago, Gramto6 said:

7,345 steps yesterday. Mostly quiet day, took it easy...more of the same planned for today.

Me too.  Indoor bike ride this a.m.  It's already 82 degrees and supposed to reach 100 today.  

• Like 3
2 hours ago, xwordfanatik said:

Me too.  Indoor bike ride this a.m.  It's already 82 degrees and supposed to reach 100 today.  

Supposed to get to 97 here today and I have no AC. Not normally this hot here.  House opened at night, windows open too. Everything closed up during the day.  So far bearable, but if the heat keeps up it isn't going to be pretty...

• Sad 4
17 minutes ago, Gramto6 said:

Supposed to get to 97 here today and I have no AC. Not normally this hot here.  House opened at night, windows open too. Everything closed up during the day.  So far bearable, but if the heat keeps up it isn't going to be pretty...

It's supposed to be the hottest summer on record, and I believe it!  :(

I'm very thankful to have A/C.  July and August are usually pretty hot here, so it's pretty common for houses to have it.

• Like 3

7,519 steps yesterday.

My goal is to be sure to move each hour, hopefully at least 250 steps. Sometimes I don't quite make that and then other hours I go much higher, so it evens out in the end. Ultimate goal is to move some every hour and not wake up in pain the next day from overexertion the day before.

• Like 6

8,072 steps yesterday.

A surprise to be sure, I did make a grocery run Then I had a problem with the garbage co. so had to make 2 trips up to deposit garbage at head of the road. Load the car, unload the car back at home, reload the car and unload at road...

Who knew there was garbage can etiquette? Someone (I think the neighbor that has been causing trouble for all of us) pushed my can out of the line up and against the fence. So last week they didn't pick up my garbage as that means "no service needed"! Had to drive back home unload and call the co. They finally called back she said just put this weeks alongside can and driver would pick it up overnight. Haven't been up to the road to see if he did...

I know first world problems...but still frustrating.

• Like 4
  • Sad 2

Trouble with cranky neighbors a puttin their hands on your trashcan?  Well, just let me know if you want me to have my DH go a "fishtailing" up your road!  One well-timed swipe with our trailer ought do da job!  🚛 😲🤣😉

• Like 1
  • LOL 6

6,866 steps yesterday.

I did have some more knee aches and back pain after all the extra steps yesterday. Will try to rest more today.

LOL @Rabbit Hutch might just take that to knock some sense into this "kid" (Probably 24-25 yrs but acts like 15! His dad passed about 3 years ago so kid is "king of the castle" and acts like a brat.) He has no business even messing with the garbage cans as garbage co. cancelled him for lack of payment and stealing others cans.  Sadly our little dirt road probably couldn't handle your trailer...

• Sad 3
  • Wink 1

6,946 steps yesterday.

Lots of phone calls, drs, pump guy, animal center, and I'm a pacer when on the phone, so lots of steps there...

Going to see Bone & Joint dr today for more injections in hands, so some shopping steps after at the big grocery store.

• Like 5

6,852 steps yesterday. 

It was just too hot up in town to shop so made a quick stop at Natural Grocers which is directly on the way home. Between the drive and waiting at dr not much extra walking after all. Fine with that though.

Think I am going to get a cane. I fell again yesterday morning. Fortunately it was a pretty soft landing but have some small aches and new pains. I don't need the walker in the house, but a cane that will self stand might just be enough to stop these "tripping over my shadow" episodes...

At least my hands are feeling better so far, we did discuss surgery at some point. Hope it isn't necessary but who knows?

• Like 1
  • Hugs 6
24 minutes ago, Gramto6 said:

6,852 steps yesterday. 

It was just too hot up in town to shop so made a quick stop at Natural Grocers which is directly on the way home. Between the drive and waiting at dr not much extra walking after all. Fine with that though.

Think I am going to get a cane. I fell again yesterday morning. Fortunately it was a pretty soft landing but have some small aches and new pains. I don't need the walker in the house, but a cane that will self stand might just be enough to stop these "tripping over my shadow" episodes...

At least my hands are feeling better so far, we did discuss surgery at some point. Hope it isn't necessary but who knows?

Maybe consider one of those canes with a fold down seat. Especially helpful if you are out and about and feel a bit woozy.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Useful 1
6 minutes ago, Sandy W said:

Maybe consider one of those canes with a fold down seat. Especially helpful if you are out and about and feel a bit woozy.

Hmm, I don'r think I have seen those...Amazon here I come! :)

Mostly these days when I am out and about I am either driving to a dr appt or going shopping. To the dr is usually only a few steps and shopping I have the cart to support me (and I do take advantage of that!).

I'm thinking the self standing cane will give me that bit of added stability while at home, if I start to feel that "reeling" feeling I can hold on to it for dear life!

• Like 3
41 minutes ago, Gramto6 said:

Hmm, I don'r think I have seen those...Amazon here I come! :)

Mostly these days when I am out and about I am either driving to a dr appt or going shopping. To the dr is usually only a few steps and shopping I have the cart to support me (and I do take advantage of that!).

I'm thinking the self standing cane will give me that bit of added stability while at home, if I start to feel that "reeling" feeling I can hold on to it for dear life!

Come to think of it, the seat would add weight to the cane and may make the cane cumbersome.

My own health issues cause me to feel faint anytime I stand and I have carefully plotted routes from bed to bath to den. I have canes but can navigate without by clutching door jambs, railings and walls.

• Like 5
2 hours ago, Sandy W said:

Come to think of it, the seat would add weight to the cane and may make the cane cumbersome.

My own health issues cause me to feel faint anytime I stand and I have carefully plotted routes from bed to bath to den. I have canes but can navigate without by clutching door jambs, railings and walls.

That is just what I do at home too 99% of the time! On a rare occasion I go it alone and sometimes that is when I fall. Just thinking on those times maybe a cane might help.

• Like 3

6,589 steps yesterday.

Worn out from trip up to town the day before and it was warm here yesterday too so I just did what I could. And as always I am just fine with that as I did get my 250 steps each hour.

I just ordered a cane on Amazon it will add to my collection of "protective devices" It collapses so easy to take with me when I go out. A friend has the same one and likes it a lot.It even has a LED light!

• Like 3
31 minutes ago, Gramto6 said:

7,418 steps yesterday. Feeling better after latest fall, slowly moving around more. Looking forward to getting and trying out the cane.

@Gramto6 - do you have someone who checks in with you?  Hoping you don't end up falling and hitting your head and not being able to summon help! Please take good care 

• Like 4
1 hour ago, lookeyloo said:

@Gramto6 - do you have someone who checks in with you?  Hoping you don't end up falling and hitting your head and not being able to summon help! Please take good care 

Thanks. At this point, no, no one to check in on me. Kids & grands all in CA, I'm in MT.  I guess it is time to set up some sort of phone check. I have one neighbor they could contact that I trust to help if needed.

• Like 3
15 minutes ago, Gramto6 said:

Thanks. At this point, no, no one to check in on me. Kids & grands all in CA, I'm in MT.  I guess it is time to set up some sort of phone check. I have one neighbor they could contact that I trust to help if needed.

I hate to sound so bossy, but, you are part of my community!  Maybe someone could call you every day and if you don't answer come check. This is a free service https://www.snugsafe.com/#:~:text=Snug is a free and,in with you every day.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Useful 2