Type keyword(s) to search

International Soccer/Football & UEFA Champions League

Athena
  • Start Topic

I mean, Ronaldo, Messi, Kane, Lendo et al., are going to get the calls like Jordan used to get calls. That's the way the game is. I don't have too much of a problem with that. 

For a league game, ok, call the PK. This is basically a 3 game elimination tournament and any official know it's going to be tight. It's got to be crystal to call the PK. Bale, yes. That's the level you have to call at. This wasn't.

AND LEVEL. Game on!

Portugal have to be the most unlikeable team there. Play acting, diving, time-wasting...I can't wait for them to go out.

And that's a shame, because one of my fondest memories is supporting them at Euros 2004 when it was held in Portugal. Were they always this annoying?

I don't know if I'd say unlikeable, but they aren't really historically as good as they're made out to be. I was just rooting for the upset. 

Tactically though, they could have cost themselves advancing by giving up the backdoor second goal. You're up +2 late. Elite teams close that game out. 

Ghana isn't in bad shape at -1 if they win next. 

Loved that match. Brazil just make you smile when they get going. 

Apparently Didi Deschamps was giving off about Neymar's selfishness on RTE, good thing Brazil has some great team players.

40 minutes ago, Fukui San said:

Iran beating Wales 2-0 is something of a surprise, no? Not sure whether that’s good news or bad for the US. Certainly the US will have to beat Iran to advance. 

It was a surprise, but not at the same time. Yes, Wales has Bale, however they haven't been to the world cup in 50 odd years and they choked. Iran though, had something more to prove on the world stage and clearly went for it. And they could do it again over the US.

• Love 3
10 minutes ago, DoctorAtomic said:

How did the game go to 11 minutes of stoppage time? 

The host nation needed a win to show they're a "proper futbol" nation, of course! They would have let it overrun as long as they needed if they could have - but FIFA bribery only goes so far!

I hope the US beats england, just to shut up all the broadcasters who have england in the quarter-finals already. They need humbling.

👀

Sounds like Jurgen Klinsmann et BBC were being quite racist earlier about Iran's win. Saying it's "in their culture" to play dirty; if they had had a European ref it would have been called better. Yikes. Def deserves an apology.

• Mind Blown 1

What are the English comms people smoking because Karen Carney just said the English bench is as good as Brazil"s.

Good luck with that one, USA! I'm sure you're quaking in your boots.

(And then she told Roy Keane to cheer up. Brave woman)

This match is on itv and if you can believe it, they are even more jingoistic than the BBC. Anyway, that shot off the bar has these comms people panicking; literally just said 'how many warnings does ENG need?'

If eng win this, it'll be pure luck because right now the USA are in control.

This is almost like an NBA game with each side taking runs. England is taking the final minutes of the half. 

I know Pulisic hit the post, but he should have laid it out for the guy overlapping on his left. 

US are poor on corners though. No movement. 

Edited by DoctorAtomic

That second goal I don't know how the defender let him get goalside. All he had to do was get in the way. 

I enjoy Mbappe, but, no, I think there need to be some others stepping up. If I'm the coach, I'm pointing to all the upsets of the traditional teams, and saying, "We're next if you don't all come correct."

Looks like Mexico just ran out of gas. 

They also have the Rolls-Royce of Varane back too. They are cooking on gas all over the pitch so they are fine, for now.

Annoyed that Argentina have woken up. Really wanted Messi to be out early. Tomorrow Spain v Germany should be...boring. Spain are boring to watch and Germany are in transition. Now that the teams seem to be settling in, tough to see any wildcards progressing. Maybe Japan?

On 11/24/2022 at 12:03 PM, Wee S said:

Portugal have to be the most unlikeable team there. Play acting, diving, time-wasting...I can't wait for them to go out.

And that's a shame, because one of my fondest memories is supporting them at Euros 2004 when it was held in Portugal. Were they always this annoying?

I can't stand Portugal, but mainly because I have a lot of dislike for Ronaldo.  I know he is one of the greats but I just hate his personality, and I'm convinced that he wears eyeliner for matches, which I don't understand.

Canada was really disappointing against Croatia.  I had such high hopes after they did so well in CONCACAF qualifying.  They played an amazing first half against Belgium but it's like that late goal just before halftime from Belgium completely demoralized them.

Today, very early goal from Alphonso Davies and they were looking good, but then as the match progressed, they just declined badly.  Defenders completely out of position, no one marking their man, attackers just walking in.  Alistair Johnston looked particularly abysmal to me.

• Love 3
On 11/24/2022 at 5:06 PM, Wee S said:

Brazil just make you smile when they get going.

Not me.  I hate Brazil.  Of course, that's primarily because I hate crying Neymar and his playacting.  (Although he appears to actually have been injured in the game against Serbia.)  I wonder if the Brazilian team is going to have a memorial to Neymar if he can't play the next game, like they did in 2014.

On 11/25/2022 at 7:54 AM, Fukui San said:

Iran beating Wales 2-0 is something of a surprise, no? Not sure whether that’s good news or bad for the US. Certainly the US will have to beat Iran to advance. 

It's bad news for the US.  It means that they absolutely have to beat Iran to get through unless England manages to lose to Wales by 5 goals or more.  A draw against Iran won't be enough.

On 11/25/2022 at 1:43 PM, DoctorAtomic said:

I certainly respect Donovan and Lalas,

I kinda respect Lalas, but Donovan is a shit commentator.

On 11/26/2022 at 5:39 PM, Wee S said:

Annoyed that Argentina have woken up. Really wanted Messi to be out early. Tomorrow Spain v Germany should be...boring. Spain are boring to watch and Germany are in transition.

Yeah, I was rooting for Mexico to knock Argentina out.

Spain v. Germany was a textbook example of how a draw doesn't have to be boring.  That was an exciting match to watch.

1 hour ago, proserpina65 said:

Not me.  I hate Brazil.  Of course, that's primarily because I hate crying Neymar and his playacting.  (Although he appears to actually have been injured in the game against Serbia.)  I wonder if the Brazilian team is going to have a memorial to Neymar if he can't play the next game, like they did in 2014.

I don't hate them, but sometimes they're like because they walk on the pitch, they'll get the W. It's good to have confidence, but it's a bit much. I think they tend to rely on individual skill, which is nearly unmatched, over team play. See Belgium, last time. 

In general I don't like all the playacting. You see on the replay someone get an elbow to the ribs and they plunge to the ground screaming and clutching their face. I mean, sure, you get a stinger, and you need 30 seconds to shake it off. However, when you're writhing in faux agony, when you're legitimately injured, you're not doing yourself any favors. I get you're trying to draw a foul, to a point though. 

This is kind of the problem with the World Cup. In the pro leagues, you get booked for simulation. The refs just aren't going to do that here because they're not going to be responsible for suspending world superstars on accumulation. So you get the players on the ground and the ref is obligated to stop play, whereas the ref would either normally tell them to knock it off or just book them. 

• Love 2

Oh don't get me wrong - I despise Neymar; Brazil is clearly better without him. One of my fave reaction shots is that pic from when Utd came from behind to beat PSG. His jaw was on the floor! Also, as a United fan, I am loving Casemiro's impact. I agree that Brazil act like they deserve the win from just walking onto the pitch, but I feel (certainly in Europe), we have been conditioned to believe that Brazil is the best.

Now, is it too much to hope Uruguay beat Portugal tonight and Ronaldo walks off and leaves the stadium early?

I don't know how the rankings are done, but there's a lot to consider that maybe left on the table due to history. It's also near impossible because in your typical cycle, no one really has any common opponents for any calibration. Didn't Argentina win Copa this last cycle? Hard to put Brazil tops when they're not tops in their region. 

Belgium, who I like, is 2, but Italy won Euro and didn't even qualify. 

The groupings for this one seem fair, and it's great that these last two World Cups the US are good enough to not be shoved into 'groups of death'. 

Typically, South American teams don't do well in Europe and vice versa. Selection issues notwithstanding, I think that's why we're seeing so many upsets here, and I think the next round is going to be more wide open than we've seen.

I do expect a 'traditional' team to win just because these top teams play deeper into international tournaments, and with that experience, they won't tighten up. I do think there will be one surprise in the semi finals though. 

Uruguay is torching Portugal these last 10'.

I'm not calling a penalty unless it's clearly egregious. That Ecuador one was clear though. I mean, the guy could have got to the ball first if he didn't just plow into the forward. Severe mental error that could cost them advancing. They're coming out flat in the second half. 

Sideline reporter Tom Rinaldi's commute this week has bee insane. He was in Qatar for the first US match, flew back to the US to do NCAA and NFL football last weekend, and is now back in Qatar.

His body clock must be so fucked up.

Not sure I like the US kit, but it's miles more engaging than the stuff Ralph Lauren keeps putting on the US Olympic team.

• Like 1
On 11/28/2022 at 10:08 AM, proserpina65 said:

I kinda respect Lalas, but Donovan is a shit commentator.

Agreed.  I'm watching the England/Wales game and I can't stand listening to Landon Donovan.  His comments are not particularly insightful and his voice is sleep-inducing.  He really doesn't have a voice for commentating.

That Iran guy who collided with an American (around 60 min) was such a faker. He's writhing in pain, yelling, holding his leg, then the US guy helps him up. The Iran guy walks around without limping, then he trots and skips. No limp.

• Like 3

No thanks to not dribbling into the corner on the final counter though. That was a low percentage shot at any point in the game. 

Credit to the back four maintaining shape all game and cutting off a lot of runs into the box. I actually thought the 90 minutes against England was the best full game they played, but the first half here was the best 45. 

I thought they could have done better in the second half to gain more possession than just clearing out. I know it was harder to play out of the back because Iran was pressing more, but you have to adjust. 

The Netherlands are favored, but I don't know if they're as good as England. With my criticisms, there's a lot the US can point to that is good and they can take it to the Dutch. 

The Dutch have Gakpo. He's on a mission to prove to Ten Hag that he is mufc material. If you guys don't make it through this time, I definitely see you making a statement at your home world cup; this team will peak just at the right moment!

I'm off again tomorrow (this time due to concussion- what a fortnight!) so will be able to watch the France match, sans interruption. Hoping Denmark go through as well.

Kane is only good for Spurs. Even the brit commentators (who are notorious for kissing ass) have been saying how awful he's been. All the rags here have been talking about benching him. If anyone is a threat for England it's Rashford, maybe Foden and Grealish. Even Maguire is getting his flowers and he's basically been demoted at utd. Kane is a non-entity (now watch him put four past Senegal.)

16 hours ago, Wee S said:

Kane is only good for Spurs. Even the brit commentators (who are notorious for kissing ass) have been saying how awful he's been. All the rags here have been talking about benching him. If anyone is a threat for England it's Rashford, maybe Foden and Grealish. Even Maguire is getting his flowers and he's basically been demoted at utd. Kane is a non-entity (now watch him put four past Senegal.)

Interesting, the Fox commentator who is a Brit kept talking about how good he is, and how he does the little things that make him so good, like when he deftly passed the ball over to Phil Foden who scored.  I've never been that impressed with Harry Maguire.

• Like 1
20 hours ago, blackwing said:

Agreed.  I'm watching the England/Wales game and I can't stand listening to Landon Donovan.  His comments are not particularly insightful and his voice is sleep-inducing.  He really doesn't have a voice for commentating.

I will give him credit for being better for the England/Wales match than he was previously.  Still not good, though.

18 hours ago, DoctorAtomic said:

The Netherlands are favored, but I don't know if they're as good as England. With my criticisms, there's a lot the US can point to that is good and they can take it to the Dutch. 

If the Dutch team which played against Senegal and Qatar comes out, the US is toast.  On the other hand, they might stand a chance against the team which played against Ecuador.  Maybe.  The US team has really not impressed me.  But they managed to squeak through, which is all that matters.

10 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

I will give him credit for being better for the England/Wales match than he was previously.  Still not good, though.

One of my issues was that it seemed like he was annoyed that he had to do the commentary for England/Wales when he rather would have been commentating or watching USA/Iran instead.  There were multiple comments from the Brit about the USA game and how they were up 1-0 which should please Landon, and then Landon saying to stop talking because of the commentator's jinx.  I wouldn't be surprised if he was watching the USA/Iran game on his phone while supposedly commentating on England/Wales.

2 minutes ago, blackwing said:

One of my issues was that it seemed like he was annoyed that he had to do the commentary for England/Wales when he rather would have been commentating or watching USA/Iran instead.  There were multiple comments from the Brit about the USA game and how they were up 1-0 which should please Landon, and then Landon saying to stop talking because of the commentator's jinx.  I wouldn't be surprised if he was watching the USA/Iran game on his phone while supposedly commentating on England/Wales.

That wouldn't surprise me either.  I think poor Ian Darke was contractually obligated to mention the USA match as often as possible.  I really feel for him and Derek Rae at this World Cup.  They are the gold standard for football commentators and they're having to dumb down what they do for the benefit of FOX.  Still, I take them when I can get them.

I'm watching Argentina/Poland, where it's still early in the second half.  Argentina finally scored in the first few minutes of the half so are holding a 1-0 lead.  They've been completely dominant.  I'm not really caring for what I'm seeing from Poland.  The player will fall and clutch himself in pain.  Referee isn't buying it, and just lets play go on.  Then the guy gets up and seems fine.  I know a lot of teams try and flop and get calls, but the Polish players seem to be doing it more than most. 

The Polish keeper was busy today, including saving the PK. 

Shame about Mexico, but until they gave up that last minute goal, they were still out based on the tiebreakers. All they needed was another goal (and not just give up at the end). Did they expect Argentina to bail them out?