Type keyword(s) to search

International Soccer/Football & UEFA Champions League

Athena
  • Start Topic

I was just thinking Germany couldnt hit a barn door and then boom! Score. But overall their final product is horrendous. They don't deserve to go through.

I really want Japan and Costa Rica to progress - I hate Spain that much.

1 hour ago, Lamb18 said:

So both Germany and Costa Rica are eliminated even though Germany won. So what was the point of this game?

Also why are minutes added to the game instead of stopping the clock?

Japan was advancing by virtue of having beaten Spain and won the group.  But if Costa Rica had beaten Germany, they would have finished second in the group and would have advanced.  Spain would have been eliminated.

If Germany beat Costa Rica, and Spain beat Japan, then Spain and Germany would have advanced.

If Costa Rica beat Germany, and Spain beat Japan, then Spain and Costa Rica would have advanced.

So it wasn't a meaningless game, Costa Rica definitely had their own destiny in hand and needed a win to advance.  Germany was in last place in the group entering this match, so in order to advance, not only did they need to win their game, but they needed help from Spain.

As far as why they add stoppage time instead of stopping the clock, I think it's because there is a separate referee who monitors the amount of time lost to injury, VAR review, etc.  Instead of stopping the clock every time, they just keep track of the amount of lost time and add it onto the end of the half.  Maybe that referee consults with someone else and they agree on the amount of stoppage time to add.  Instead of having to make a decision immediately as to whether or not to stop the clock?  I think it makes things easier, instead of having to constantly stop and start the clock.

• Love 3
15 minutes ago, blackwing said:

Germany was in last place in the group entering this match, so in order to advance, not only did they need to win their game, but they needed help from Spain.

That's why if Spain got the second goal to tie, Japan would have been out on goal differential v Germany. I do back and forth on goal differential as a tiebreaker because on one hand, you do want to see an open game, but on the other, winning should be enough. Technically it is enough. I just don't like a situation where you advance because you have +4, but I go home even though I beat you. 

Basically everyone needed to win except Spain, and Germany needed all 4 of those goals plus some help. Spain, on the other hand, isn't particularly helpful. I mean, I would have fielded at least half a B team and subbed out the others in the second half. 

16 minutes ago, blackwing said:

As far as why they add stoppage time instead of stopping the clock, I think it's because there is a separate referee who monitors the amount of time lost to injury, VAR review, etc. 

Soccer is unique because you don't stop the clock. Get out there and get at it! The decision on the stoppage time, iirc, is actually the head referee who communicates to the booth, or the fourth official. That's why you may see 6 minutes, but it's 6:10 or something. Stoppage time is very exciting and chaotic because sometimes one team is screaming for the whistle while the other is screaming to finish the play. Like, you won't see a game called on a corner kick. The defending side has to clear it. In tight games, there's also more fouls in the second half too. 

This World Cup has way higher stoppage times than anything I've ever seen. But, like you said, there's more injury, now VAR, and the increase to five substitutes. 

• Love 2

The MLS had a running down clock when it first started, and everyone hated it.

It also had tie breaking shootouts where shooters dribbled from midfield for every tie game, and that went away too, but those seemed sort of fun.

44 minutes ago, Fukui San said:

It also had tie breaking shootouts where shooters dribbled from midfield for every tie game, and that went away too, but those seemed sort of fun.

To be fair, that opens up a lot of risk to injury. 

I even use a count up clock when I chair conference talks. I give 2 minutes of stoppage over the time limit so they can wrapup. 

Things I didn't expect to see this world cup cycle? Harry Maguire getting slagged off in the Ghanaian parliament. Even Ghana knows hes sh**e.

I am now keeping my support down and quietly supporting France. Every other team I cheer for has gone out, so I give up.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1

Great job by South Korea to beat Portugal, and then they advance on goal differential vs. Uruguay!  I'm so happy to see Uruguay is out.  It's too bad that Uruguay is viewed by me solely by Luis Suarez.  As far as I'm concerned, he is defined by two moments: 1) the infamous blatant two-hand handball at the goal vs. Ghana in 2010, and 2) the biting incident from 2014.

I truly can't stand him.  Really didn't need for Fox to keep showing him on the sidelines after he was subbed out.  It's like they wanted to capture every single reaction from him.

I wish Ghana would have advanced, but I'm happy for South Korea as well.  At World Cup, I generally like to see African and Asian countries make it to the round of 16 over the dominant European and South American powerhouses.

• Love 2
50 minutes ago, blackwing said:

I'm so happy to see Uruguay is out.  It's too bad that Uruguay is viewed by me solely by Luis Suarez.  As far as I'm concerned, he is defined by two moments: 1) the infamous blatant two-hand handball at the goal vs. Ghana in 2010, and 2) the biting incident from 2014.

I truly can't stand him.  Really didn't need for Fox to keep showing him on the sidelines after he was subbed out.  It's like they wanted to capture every single reaction from him.

I too, am here for the Suarez hate. Mine goes back to the Evra incident. I am LIVING for the memes though! Its like after the 2nd goal, Ghana gave up winning and focused on dragging Uruguay out with them. Glorious. Apparently the loudest cheers by the Ghana stadium fans was when the big screen showed Suarez crying. Ha! I'll miss Cavani though. Happy for South Korea too.

4 minutes ago, blackwing said:

It's too bad that Uruguay is viewed by me solely by Luis Suarez.

Cavani isn't doing anyone any favors either. He flops way too much for someone with his strength. He could have powered through for a shot near the end and he threw himself on the floor. 

• Love 1
4 hours ago, blackwing said:

I'm so happy to see Uruguay is out.  It's too bad that Uruguay is viewed by me solely by Luis Suarez.  As far as I'm concerned, he is defined by two moments: 1) the infamous blatant two-hand handball at the goal vs. Ghana in 2010, and 2) the biting incident from 2014.

I wish Ghana would have advanced, but I'm happy for South Korea as well. 

Same.  Uruguay is tainted for me because of Suarez for the same reasons you stated. I didn’t know Portugal was hated so much until I came to this forum, ha!  Stings a little bit, but the Ronaldo hate has always been strong.  I was happy for South Korea advancing (and their coach is….Portuguese!). 

• Love 2

Rats. But the Dutch team played better. USA couldn't score when they got the ball in the red zone. The only score they got was scored by a Netherlands player.

The US team T-shirts look like someone flicked paint off a brush onto the fabric.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, DoctorAtomic said:

I was hoping for an actual competitive match for more than ten minutes. 

It wasn't really the missed chances than the complete lapse of defense 101. You can leave world class players wide open for a shot. 

That third goal was just embarrassing, Dumfries was by himself for what felt for ages until the ball made it over to him. Team needs to play better but at least this looked better than the group stage. Argentina next(Or the Socceroos, but I don't see that happen).

The US has potential with this young team but needs a better coach to continue to grow imo.

• Love 1

I think the US team just lost steam. Whereas LvG and his team have been here before, and know when to step up.

Before the match, the BBC had a nice little excerpt from a LvG documentary about his struggle with cancer, and this being his last tournament before retirement- I'm sure that also spurred them on.

• Like 1
On 12/1/2022 at 1:00 PM, Lamb18 said:

Also why are minutes added to the game instead of stopping the clock?

Because World Football is not the NFL.

Edited by Oosala
  • Like 2
  • Love 1
On 12/2/2022 at 10:01 AM, Wee S said:

Happy for South Korea too.

Catching up here.  I'm NOT happy for South Korea because I don't like Son.  I follow the English Premier League and he's known for diving.  I also don't like him because he's so dang good!!

• LOL 3
6 minutes ago, Oosala said:

Catching up here.  I'm NOT happy for South Korea because I don't like Son.  I follow the English Premier League and he's known for diving.  I also don't like him because he's so dang good!!

Ha. I have Son in my fantasy football team and he's the captain. Not great! I like Korea because they are underdogs and it's nice to see those teams progress. I refuse to support England though, even though I support Utd. Rashford only matters for me when he's in a united kit. Don't even get me started on Maguire....again. 

Also, I would happily see Argentina go out, even those I adore Lisandro Martinez. But he's not playing so Messi can do one.

• Like 1

Unpopular opinion but here goes:  I'm glad the Netherlands won, and I'm from the US.  It's nothing against the US players and King Pulisec, per se.  It's the HORRIFIC bias shown by John Strong and all of the Fox commentators.  It's nothing but embarrassing, and now I won't have to hear it anymore.  In the second half stoppage time, I think I even heard Holden say "so we really have about 4 more minutes" or words to that effect.  NO.  NOT acceptable.  There are TWO teams on the pitch, and your team lost.  I was expecting technical difficulties at the end there, as John Strong's copious tears shorted out his mic.  Going forward, they'll have to learn the rosters of BOTH teams.  Imagine that!

• Fire 1
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Wee S said:

I think the US team just lost steam.

But that always seems to be the problem when they get to this stage. Early concede, play catchup, get put away late. 

They kept hammering about how they have a set piece coach. For what? 

That said, 2026 should be interesting. 

• Love 1
8 minutes ago, Wee S said:

I refuse to support England though, even though I support Utd.

I will support Team England because Belgium and Germany are out and the EPL is my league.  I don't like Manchester United, but Rashford is a real class act.  He was given an MBE (an England thing) for his campaign to end childhood hunger and support vulnerable families.  Right now I'm imagining a South Korea/England World Cup final, if that's even possible.  For the first time, Kane and Son would be on opposing teams.  That would be awesome because they are such a powerful duo for their club.

6 minutes ago, Oosala said:

Unpopular opinion but here goes:  I'm glad the Netherlands won, and I'm from the US.  It's nothing against the US players and King Pulisec, per se.  It's the HORRIFIC bias shown by John Strong and all of the Fox commentators.  It's nothing but embarrassing, and now I won't have to hear it anymore.  In the second half stoppage time, I think I even heard Holden say "so we really have about 4 more minutes" or words to that effect.  NO.  NOT acceptable.  There are TWO teams on the pitch, and your team lost.  I was expecting technical difficulties at the end there, as John Strong's copious tears shorted out his mic.  Going forward, they'll have to learn the rosters of BOTH teams.  Imagine that!

Can you imagine what people in N.Ireland, scotland and Wales have to deal with when England are playing? ITV and BBC are unbearable. To alot of people, England = UK. Alot of my fellow Irish watch matches on rte because of it. When any of the other home nations are playing a big game, they will always spend most of the build up talking about England and their matches. 

• Useful 1
38 minutes ago, DoctorAtomic said:

I still think Klinsmann was correct in that US players should be playing in the major European leagues. 

I mean, they are by and large at this point. The ones who can make that move have gone which is most of the starting 11 

I only caught the last part of it, but Men in Blazers did a Manningcast style livestream of the US/Netherlands match on Twitch.tv. If you are a fan of theirs, the will also be doing England/Senegal tomorrow.