Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E08: #Blessed

• Start Topic

Jackie and Ray try to return to business as usual after a depressing failure, only to learn the case might not actually be closed.

Airdate: July 12, 2020

This is the season finale. Not sure why there's a two-week break between it and episode 7!

Oh no, my 3 months of Starzplay finishes on Friday 10th.  I was expecting to see the final episode before then. Good thing it isn't one of those series where the mystery is solved in the final episode.

On 7/5/2020 at 8:59 PM, Cranberry said:

Airdate: July 12, 2020

This is the season finale. Not sure why there's a two-week break between it and episode 7!

Probably because of the holiday weekend. 

It feels like season one has simply been a set up for a better, more meaty story in season two.  We got Jackie's and Ray's sketchy past and downfall.  I think watching them struggle between being totally serious about their work and sliding back into the behaviors that got them in trouble could be more interesting. Thankfully there shouldn't be any "will they or won't they" nonsense either.  I wasn't hooked right away but it definitely improved by the end. If the intent is to show continuing character growth along with the crime story,  then I'm glad it is coming back. 

• Love 3

Was the show really mundane?
Part of the attraction was supposed to be the beauty of Cape Cod, or the unique folks in Provincetown. Or even the seasonality of the Cape's outer towns.
But this show really did not feature much of the Cape vistas and skipped past all those unique characters in  PTown.
What we were left with was a standard cops and robber show, with the contemporary elements: in similar shows  opiates, alcohol, sex scenes, and shabby living environments. Nothing really unique here.  Nothing compelling to say a second season will be interesting or better.

• Love 2

What a gripping finale.  Not.  I did get a  laugh out of a) the freeze frame on the monitor of Renee bent over Ray while his boss is reading him the riot act, and, b) Ray reduced to being a bouncer at the local club. He should put in a call to Chicago PD.  I'm sure Voigt would hire him.

I wonder how the feds will look upon the Workers Comp issue of Jackie getting shot in an unauthorized LE operation.  They can't cover that up.

• Love 1
11 hours ago, ichbin said:

It feels like season one has simply been a set up for a better, more meaty story in season two.  We got Jackie's and Ray's sketchy past and downfall.  I think watching them struggle between being totally serious about their work and sliding back into the behaviors that got them in trouble could be more interesting. Thankfully there shouldn't be any "will they or won't they" nonsense either.  I wasn't hooked right away but it definitely improved by the end. If the intent is to show continuing character growth along with the crime story,  then I'm glad it is coming back. 

My mom likes this show so we are adding it to our Sunday night line up. I agree with your thoughts. Now that Frankie is out of prison I am interested in how he enacts his revenge. 

I still contend Renée isn’t in love with Frankie- she’s scared of him and would rather bet on him, than a cop who sleeps with his CIs and puts their date on an expense report. I think Renée will stick by Frankie until her son is in danger. 

• Love 1

Boy, Ray would sure would have been better off if he had just paid for the date himself. I think he really did love Renee but just wanted to be cheap and fluff up his expense reports. A pretty costly mistake for trying to save $60.

• LOL 2
  • Love 2
14 hours ago, Dowel Jones said:

I wonder how the feds will look upon the Workers Comp issue of Jackie getting shot in an unauthorized LE operation.  They can't cover that up.

I had the same thought.  Can't imagine that there's any reciprocity or other kind of cross-department recognition between the Fish Police and the Staties for Disability, forget about the fundamental liability of letting her participate in a raid in which she has no official involvement, to wit:

Speaking of Jackie getting shot, how was Osito able to wing her when she already had the drop on him?  He had to go into his pants pocket and pull out his gun, she fired first, and he still got off two shots.  Center mass, Baby Girl - he had plenty of that.

And what did Ray think he was going to accomplish by taunting Frankie - Frankie not only pwned him with the spring rain comment, but Ray got a triple karmic smack down with Renee setting him up, Frankie getting released, and Ray getting his cocky, bear-poking self suspended.

I'll tune in to Season 2 to continue hate watching (and snarking), unless I forget to. I'm having fun with this one, but it's not Appointment TV by any means.

3 hours ago, Jadzia said:

Boy, Ray would sure would have been better off if he had just paid for the date himself. I think he really did love Renee but just wanted to be cheap and fluff up his expense reports. A pretty costly mistake for trying to save $60.

I don’t think he “loved” Renée. I do think he liked her and I don’t think he would’ve tried to coerce her into sex just for information. But a guy who sleeps with his CIs has issues with boundaries and a huge “Capt Save a Ho” complex. 

Renee would rather stick with the devil she knows, especially when said devil is the father to her son. 

• Love 2

The only remotely interesting person on this show died of an overdose in the last episode.  Ray is awful, Jackie is a caricature and this episode was a slog.  Literally the only interesting parts was the beginning of the episode with Jackie's flashback of Junior and the last scene with the two girls heading to the Cape.  I'm glad Ray got set-up and busted, jackass. 

• Love 1

I watch this with my husband who has been a cop for thirty years and there’s a lot of eye rolling.Jackie would never have been allowed on that raid-she had no real reason to be there. 

I don’t think Ray loved Renee. He liked her but never forgot Frankie was his target. I think Renee was falling for him though until she saw his expense report. Renee is kind of screwed though-if she tries to leave Frankie he will have her killed and Frankie junior will have no mother.

I did find Junior an interesting character, more so than Osito who keeps getting described as having a Dominican accent when he does not. Jackie is too much of a hard ass and I don’t think she would last long on her job with her drug and alcohol lifestyle.

• Love 2
14 hours ago, Madding crowd said:

I don’t think Ray loved Renee. He liked her but never forgot Frankie was his target. I think Renee was falling for him though until she saw his expense report. Renee is kind of screwed though-if she tries to leave Frankie he will have her killed and Frankie junior will have no mother.

The saddest part of this show was when Renee saw the expense report.  She really did start to fall for him.  She started to fall for Ray when she saw how kind he was to her son.  Really sad when she was sobbing in her car after she felt she had no choice but to accept Frankie's marriage proposal.  

• Love 2