Type keyword(s) to search

Extra Extra! Paper Girls Media

• Start Topic

Amazon Orders ‘Paper Girls’ Graphic Novel Adaptation To Series

Paper Girls, based on Brian K. Vaughan and Cliff Chiang’s graphic novel, has been ordered to series by Amazon.

The project, from Legendary Television in association with Plan B, initially landed in development with a series commitment last year in a competitive situation, as revealed by Deadline.

So what's the difference between "ordered to series" and "in development with a series commitment"? Just some semantics to keep it in the news?

Paper Girls casting call from last October (Instagram casting call notice pic said that filming begins March 2021)...
https://www.instagram.com/p/CGm_gBMhyxm/ 

briankvaughan It’s happening! If you know the perfect Erin, Tiffany, Mac or KJ for the upcoming PAPER GIRLS series on Amazon, please have their legal guardian reach out to our brilliant casting directors at the above address (NOT me or other creators of the show/comic via social media, thanks!) 🚲 🚲 🚲 🚲 #papergirls #amazonprime #casting

Amazon's Paper Girls Announces Virtual Casting Call for Lead Roles
Tim Adams   Oct 28, 2020
https://www.cbr.com/amazon-paper-girls-virtual-casting-call/

Legendary Television and Amazon Studios' adaptation of Brian K. Vaughan and Cliff Chiang's Paper Girls Image Comics series is holding a virtual casting call for the four lead roles of Erin, Tiffany, Mac and KJ.

The submission window is open now through Monday, Nov. 9, and audition tapes can be submitted here. Per the casting call, "Previous acting experience not required. Parental consent to participate is required. Please do not make submissions outside of the casting website."
Descriptions of the four lead roles are as follows:

ERIN TIENG - Character portrayed is a Chinese-American female, 11-14 to play 12, speaks Mandarin. Mall bangs and an eager smile. Her father passed away shortly after her family immigrated to America, forcing Erin to grow up fast. As the oldest child, she became the caretaker of her younger sister and her non-English speaking mother. Erin’s new paper route is her first opportunity to be like the other kids and have some fun and friends. When she unwittingly starts her first day on “Hell Day”, she gets more than she bargains for when she and her new friends stumble upon warring factions of time travelers and are taken to the future….SERIES REGULAR

TIFFANY QUILKIN – Character portrayed is a Black female, 11-14 to play 12. She’s the only child of success-oriented parents and the pressures to be the best are intense. While she is crazy smart and a bit of a math whiz, her biggest fear is not living up to her genius and being discovered as a total fraud. Tiffany is a bit lonely as she doesn’t have many friends and overcompensates by trying to be an expert in everything, making her the first paper girl to take Erin under her wing to show her the ropes on her first day….SERIES REGULAR

MAC COYLE – Character portrayed is a female, 11-14 to play 12. The original Paper Girl, she tears through the streets on her BMX, a cigarette tucked behind her ear. Raised in an abusive home, she inherited the paper route from her older brother who taught her everything she knows, including how to smoke and win a fight by playing dirty. She’s learned how to survive the hard way. Her toughness is the only tool she has to deal with any threats that come her way….SERIES REGULAR

KJ BRANDMAN– Character portrayed is a female, 11-14 to play 12. A good foot taller than the rest of the girls. She’s from the wealthiest family in town. Her mother would love for her to be a good little girl that likes dresses and pink. Unfortunately, KJ has never liked any of those things. She likes sports, and finds field hockey is a good place to work out all the frustrations she can’t fully articulate. She’s guarded, protecting a sensitive nature, and would love nothing more than to feel comfortable and accepted in her own skin.”… SERIES REGULAR

Edited by tv echo

Warning: If you watch these audition videos, dialogue may be potentially spoilery (I did not find any audition videos for "Tiffany")...

Elaina Wang - PAPER GIRLS AUDITION - Erin Tieng
Posted by Elizabeth Wang 5 months ago

Olivia Chun “Erin Tieng”
Posted by Olivia Chun Reel 5 months ago

Slate. Dylan Sophia Otis/ MAC Coyle
Posted by LO 3 months ago
https://vimeo.com/475670741 

Paper Girls, KJ - Marli Scott
Posted by Staci Levine 3 months ago

Edited by tv echo

Amazon's Live-Action Paper Girls Series Casts Its Title Heroes

Sofia Rosinsky (Fast Layne), Camryn Jones (Pacific Rim: The Black), Riley Lai Nelet (Altered Carbon) and Fina Strazza (Law & Order: Special Victims Unit) will star in the television series set to premiere on Amazon Prime Video.

Paper Girls follows four young girls who, while out delivering papers on the morning after Halloween in 1988, become unwittingly caught in a conflict between warring factions of time-travelers, sending them on an adventure through time that will save the world. As they travel between our present, the past, and the future — they encounter future versions of themselves and now must choose to embrace or reject their fate.

Though the series does not yet have a release date, production will reportedly start this year in Chicago. Christopher Cantwell (Iron Man) and Christopher C. Rogers (Halt and Catch Fire) will serve as showrunners and executive produce alongside Stephany Folsom (Toy Story 4). 

Sofia Rosinsky will play Mac Coyle, a loner who becomes the leader of the Paper Girls. She's a "working-class Catholic girl" and "the first paperboy in Stony Stream who isn’t a boy. Mac inherited the paper route from her older brother, someone for whom she has undying loyalty and love… which might be the wrong place to put it. Mac’s toughness however is no act, she has a sharp tongue and quicker fists. Like most bullies, however, Mac is perhaps masking a deep well of insecurity."

Camryn Jones will play Tiffany Quilkin, " the only child of success-oriented, mixed-race parents." She has "big plans for her future and no intention of seeing them derailed. While she is at times willing to improve on the truth when in a tight spot, there is no denying that Tiffany is crazy smart. She boasts an encyclopedic knowledge of pop culture, a love of gadgets and technology. She has been delivering papers for a little over a year."

Riley Lai Nelet will play Erin Tieng. She's a "dutiful daughter, sister, and yes, newly-minted newspaper employee" and "often feels caught between worlds. On the one hand, she’s a dual-language immigrant with deep Chinese roots, on the other, she’s an All-American kid on the verge of her teenage years who desperately wants the TV-perfect life she often sees depicted in the Western culture all around her."

Fina Strazza will play KJ Brandman. She's "one of the only Jewish girls in Stony Stream and comes from the wealthiest family in town, two things nobody will let her forget. It is perhaps only when playing field hockey that she feels truly seen – an image that conflicts starkly with her mother’s desires for her. KJ is guarded, sensitive and underneath her veneer, emotionally roiling. She doesn’t need the paper-delivery job, but it makes her feel free."

I'll be interested to see what they do with the overarching narrative of this if they're envisioning having multiple seasons, since the actresses will be aging in real time.

• Love 1

Amazon’s ‘Paper Girls’ Adds Nate Corddry To Cast; JaQwan J. Kelly To Recur In Hulu’s ‘Wu Tang: An American Saga’

MV5BZWQ3MzliZTUtZGZmNi00Yzc1LTk1ZTQtMTMw

Nate Corddry will play Larry. A bit of a recluse with rusty social skills, Larry has devoted his life to being a member of the Underground, a secret organization devoted to helping one side win the Time War. After an encounter with the time traveling paper girls, Larry must decide how much, if anything, he’s willing to sacrifice for the war and for the girls.

Comic-Con 2022 Panel Schedule For Film & TV: Saturday Serves Up ‘Black Adam’, ‘Shazam! Fury Of The Gods’, ‘House Of The Dragon’, MCU & More
By Anthony D'Alessandro, Patrick Hipes   July 9, 2022
https://deadline.com/2022/07/comic-con-2022-scheduled-film-tv-panels-1235059088/ 

FRIDAY, JULY 22
1:30 p.m. – Paper Girls
Panelists: Cast, creators and executive producers TBA. Prime Video. Ballroom 20
7 p.m. – Prime Video’s Paper Girls special fan screening
At the Rooftop Cinema Club Embarcadero, Manchester Grand Hyatt.

(edited)

Why Paper Girls Isn't Stranger Things | Comic Con 2022
IGN   Jul 22, 2022

Paper Girls San Diego Comic Con 2022
magicinthenumbers   Jul 23, 2022

Edited by tv echo

By the way, as pointed out by someone else in the For all mankind forum, the actor playing Larry, Nate Corddry, happens to also play a character named Larry in For all mankind 😁 I am already trying to twist my head canon so that both shows share the same universe 🤯

I haven't even managed to watch this yet, and it's cancelled?? Yet another one. They need to remember that not every show will be Stranger Things, and just let them be! I'm so sick of this happening.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

I hadn't started it, either. I was so annoyed by Amazon cancelling The Wilds out of nowhere that I didn't want to start another one of their teen shows before I knew it had a renewal. It's a vicious circle now... viewers don't want to get into a new niche show because it could be cancelled, and then it gets cancelled because it doesn't get the insane viewership that's apparently needed nowadays*, so then audiences don't want to watch the next one because the last one got cancelled, and on and on.

*It doesn't help that even high viewership doesn't seem to matter now. First Kill was watched for 97.66 million hours in the first 28 days and that wasn't enough. If something's not a megahit right out of the gate now, it's gone. When something does get a second season, like The Wilds, it seems like even staying steady isn't good enough -- the streamers are chasing headlines, and a splashy new thing that'll only last one season is better than a solid performer just doing its thing in the background. I'm so tired.

• Love 3

Granted, I'm a layperson, but I don't understand how there are fortyleven Real Housewives show and at my last count, 16(!!!) different 90-Day shows, but we can't have a second season of this show. Yes, I know they aren't the same. People say reality shows aren't scripted (unlike this one) but that just isn't the truth. "Reality" shows have been scripted for at least 25 years.

Again, I know they are different types of shows on different platforms. It just doesn't make logical sense to me. Now that Hulu is doing "reality" shows along with its "original scripted programming", it makes even less sense.

Yes, I know this show is on Prime. Prime's Making the Cut (Prime's version of Project Runway, I guess) is on its third season.

Edited by bilgistic
  • Like 1
  • Love 1
1 minute ago, bilgistic said:

Granted, I'm a layperson, but I don't understand how there are fortyleven Real Housewives show and at my last count, 16(!!!) different 90-Day shows, but we can't have a second season of this show. Yes, I know they aren't the same. Saying reality shows aren't scripted when this show is just isn't the truth, though. "Reality" shows have been scripted for at least 25 years.

I think it's mostly because those "reality" shows are cheaper to make and initially probably give the network more bang for the buck. Actual shows, that were written by a team or experienced writers, that require wardrobe to go source or create costumes, and all the other stuff that goes into making an actual story-based show is costly. And while these shows will also make a profit, it's not enough for the greedy assholes making the decisions. 

It's kind of the TV equivalent of taking your family out for fast food instead of a fine dining restaurant. It's cheaper and easier but you get what you pay for. 

It makes me sad. I used to love television. Now, I mostly watch reruns because there is very little new stuff I find engaging and, like this show, it usually only lasts for one season. 

I also feel like Amazon didn't do a great job at promoting this. Couple that with their terrible interface and it's a recipe for failure. They're just throwing money into the wind.

Now that they've messed up Amazon Music, I'm done with Amazon. I don't order that much from Amazon anymore and I don't click on Amazon as much as I do my other streamers.