Type keyword(s) to search

Punky Power!: Punky Brewster in the Media

• Start Topic

On 2/9/2021 at 1:56 AM, starri said:

Can something that really has no reason to exist skate by on pure charm?  I'm not sure.

Fuller House made sense as a reboot because Full House has never left syndication, yet the lead didn't have much charm. Punky Brewster hasn't been seen since the USA network in the 90's, yet the lead really does have a load of charm to her. It'll be interesting to see if this works. 

Also, they decided to make Cherie gay. Good for the show.

• Love 3
23 hours ago, methodwriter85 said:

Fuller House made sense as a reboot because Full House has never left syndication, yet the lead didn't have much charm. Punky Brewster hasn't been seen since the USA network in the 90's, yet the lead really does have a load of charm to her. It'll be interesting to see if this works. 

It's funny, literally the only thing I remember about the show was the episode where Cherie demonstrated to kids that you shouldn't play in an old refrigerator (a lesson that late-Gen X and early Millennials carry to this day, I'm sure).  But Soleil Moon Frye still has charisma that leaps off the screen, and that makes me a smidge more interested.

Also, for one of the first shows that I can remember that was proudly about Chosen Family, the fact that some, if not all, of Punky's kids seem to be adopted really gives me warm fuzzies.

• Love 5

Punky Brewster was probably genuinely a better show than Full House, but that's not what pulls modern eyeballs. 

I think being Pandemic entertainment, on an undemanding streaming platform, will help it. But if it's Premium tier after the first episode?  Nobody's buying Premium Peacock for this. 

• Love 1
On 2/9/2021 at 1:56 AM, starri said:

Can something that really has no reason to exist skate by on pure charm?  I'm not sure.

I'm voting no. The remake is just not good. 

On 2/12/2021 at 1:57 AM, starri said:

It's funny, literally the only thing I remember about the show was the episode where Cherie demonstrated to kids that you shouldn't play in an old refrigerator (a lesson that late-Gen X and early Millennials carry to this day, I'm sure).  But Soleil Moon Frye still has charisma that leaps off the screen, and that makes me a smidge more interested.

The fridge episode is the literally only one I remember too and I know I watched them all as a kid. I'm 44, so it was pretty much mandatory at the time. LOL! I was talking to coworker not too long ago about a movie they used to show us in elementary school about the dangers of getting scalded by hot water and was telling her that movie and the fridge episode of Punky both stuck with me for life. She's about 10 years younger than me so she wasn't scarred for life by either. I read an interview Soleil gave the other day and she basically said the fridge episode traumatized  so many kids! Apparently we are in good company. 

• Love 3

This is just bad. None of the child actors have the natural talent that Soleil or Cherie had as children. And neither does the teen.

I will FOREVER hold a grudge against Freddie Prinze, Jr. for his DICKISH AND ASSHOLISH way of dumping Kimberly McCullough (Robin, General Hospital) back in the day, after she left the soap to spend more time with his ass.

1 hour ago, letter8358 said:

I have no idea why they would reboot this show at all. It's not same without George Gaynes. Or Marla Gibb's sister! It's such a shame those two passed away.

I agree.  I never understood the point of rebooting this particular property.  It didn't feel like the show had anything really new to say.  Having said that, I was glad they did get to resolve the storyline with Punky and her birth mother.   That did feel like a good way to end the series.  

That was the only good thing about this show. But I did not see the reason to continue the saga. Hell, I don't know why you had Freddie Prinze, Jr. there. He added nothing to the show! Same with the other actors. It was nothing new!

On 3/21/2021 at 4:30 PM, GHScorpiosRule said:

This is just bad. None of the child actors have the natural talent that Soleil or Cherie had as children. And neither does the teen.

I will FOREVER hold a grudge against Freddie Prinze, Jr. for his DICKISH AND ASSHOLISH way of dumping Kimberly McCullough (Robin, General Hospital) back in the day, after she left the soap to spend more time with his ass.

This is me and Robert Downey Jr! It's a one sided grudge that goes deep. RDJ was supposed to be Ally McBeals happily ever after. But he got in trouble with drugs and wrote him off and instead of a happy Ally we got that very weird last season. Nothing to do with Punky but your grudge spoke to mine. Every single time I see him doing well in life or in a clickbait article about being down on his luck to iron man or whatever superhero he plays I get cranky as heck.