Type keyword(s) to search

S01E01: Pour It Out

• Start Topic

It's more then a little cliche but the cast is quite good. The writing is pretty cringey but I'm hoping they'll rise above it.

Impressions from episode one:

Maddie is the token lead character - sweet, been screwed over by her husband who is an out and out jerk. Chris Klein has such an asshole look about him. I already predict he'll be trying to win her back by the end of the season.

Noreen is one of the more interesting characters. I haven't seen Jamie Lyn Spears in years. I thought she was pretty good in this. I almost felt sorry for her despite her being the "other" woman.

Dana Sue strikes me as though she's going to be the self righteous friend. Like, if her kid wants to take pictures let her. Is it not better then boozing or drugs? Especially since she's good at it.

Helen was the only character who I felt that we didn't get any insight into her personal life. 

Who's the actress playing Maddie's mother? I could have sworn it was Blythe Danner.

Anyone else watching?

• Love 5
(edited)

Ouch, that "bless your heart" from the mayors wife, those are fighting words! 

I liked the first episode, it was cute and frothy, but with enough drama to keep things from being boring. I like the leads well enough so far, even if they are all rather cliche, and Dana Sue really needs to calm down about her daughters picture and her small town angst. She has an artsy Instagram, she isn't smoking meth. 

Fun seeing Jamie Lynn on TV again, and she is doing a good job at a tough part as the Other Woman, and I felt bad for her, even if she clearly did a really crappy thing, along with the dad. I dont blame the older son for being pissed at his dad, especially if that one conversation we saw between them is an indicator of their relationship. His dad had an affair with a much younger woman and basically blew up their lives, and is now giving him lectures about how he should respect him and listen to him, even after apparently choosing a new family over them. Also, younger son saying how musical theater isn't "real" theater cracked me up. Oh yeah, I so knew that kid in high school!

Edited by tennisgurl
  • LOL 5

I watched the first episode and I think I'm dropping it.  Netflix does good grittier romantic dramas (Virgin River is awesome), but this attempt at a more lighthearted one felt just vacant.  It was a Hallmark series but without the soul.  Though they do get points for having main characters who were of color (the lawyer) and not a size 2 (the chef).  You won't see that on Hallmark, that's for sure.

Chris Klein.  Oh Chris.  That Southern accent is awful.  And man are they heavy handed with that character.  We get it show, we're supposed to hate him.  

• Love 3

Is it bad if I feel more sympathy for Noreen than the main character and her ex husband?

And the bartender believing in censorship of her daughter's art...I'm also getting a vibe that I'm not going to like her.

• Love 2

Am I the only one appreciating the irony of a red headed Joanna Garcia playing a southern woman getting a divorce from her doctor husband because he screwed his nurse and got her pregnant and her having to raise their three kids at the family's home.   Just me?

Good God, Dana is the the worst.

• LOL 2
  • Love 11
2 hours ago, Delphi said:

Am I the only one appreciating the irony of a red headed Joanna Garcia playing a southern woman getting a divorce from her doctor husband because he screwed his nurse and got her pregnant and her having to raise their three kids at the family's home.   Just me?

OMG. This is totally the plot to Reba.

• Love 9
On 5/20/2020 at 6:59 PM, JAYJAY1979 said:

Is it bad if I feel more sympathy for Noreen than the main character and her ex husband?

And the bartender believing in censorship of her daughter's art...I'm also getting a vibe that I'm not going to like her.

Depends. I dont have sympathy for her if she knew Bill was married and still went into a affair with him. 

• Love 3

I wish the actors would decide to either sound completely southern or not. Not pronouncing the “g” at the end of -ing words is not enough of a compromise when nothing else you say has any twang at all. There are plenty of people in the south who don’t speak with a drawl.  Just drop it all together if you can’t do it.  No one will mind. 

On 5/19/2020 at 1:25 PM, Avabelle said:

Chris Klein has such an asshole look about him.

For real. And I know he was never award-winning material but damn, did he get worse as an actor? What's with that weird eye squinty think he keeps doing?

On 5/19/2020 at 4:22 PM, tennisgurl said:

It's the Southern equivalent to "fuck you".

On 5/20/2020 at 6:59 PM, JAYJAY1979 said:

I find Noreen annoying as hell in so many ways and it only gets worse as the season goes on. 

• Love 2
On 5/24/2020 at 7:24 PM, truthaboutluv said:
On 5/19/2020 at 4:22 PM, tennisgurl said:

It's the Southern equivalent to "fuck you".

mmm, sometimes.  We also say it genuinely.  I think about being a church and hearing about how someone is going through a hard time --e.g., "Mary just had twins, then her husband got laid off, and then a hurricane knocked a tree through her roof.  Bless her heart, she's got more burdens then she can handle" or something to that effect.   

• Love 3

Several times I heard characters say "the doctor was going to "do right" by his nurse", as if that's the noble thing to do.   How about he "do right" by the wife and family he already has?  He, of course, should have kept it in his pants in the first place.  Besides the cheating, Bill sounds like a douch bag all the time.  I'm betting there were problems in that marriage long before the cheating and now the divorce.

• Love 1