Type keyword(s) to search

Spoilers for Snowpiercer: Show, Movie, & Book

• Start Topic

I hated the movie. I'm a nitpicker and have a hard time accepting movies that throw things at you and want you to handwave basic physics and logic. The whole premise had so many unbelievable things that bothered me that I couldn't let go and just watch it as a story. Perpetual motion train in deadly frigid atmosphere, full of people in a class war? Tilda Swinton in funny clothes? Nope. Too many unanswered questions for me to relax and swallow.

I tried the first episode to see if the premise was easier to accept in an hourly format. To soon to tell.

I liked the movie, but your science and logic points are valid. Like someone mentioned on another thread, why did they pick an endless train loop to save humanity? 

Spoiler

When they were shooting at each other across the circle, why didn't they just duck below the window?

I absolutely LOVED Tilda Swinton in her ridiculous outfit and teeth. I never liked Ed Harris, and I didn't like him here.

Spoiler

It was so obvious they were leading up to the conclusion they did, with a bored old man at the head of the train. 

I haven't seen the movie yet.  I borrowed it from the library twice but I never got around to watching it.  I see that it's on Netflix.  Granted, the TV showrunners could choose to change a lot of things, but for those that have seen the movie, do you think watching the movie might spoil things?  Or are the characters in the TV show completely different?

I get that the general premise is probably the same and the classic haves vs. have nots storyline... the people from the back of the train are fighting for their lives.  But beyond that, is there anything that might be considered a spoiler?  For example, is there a murder mystery in the movie and there's some kind of shock resolution that might be replicated in the TV show?

(edited)
On 5/19/2020 at 10:22 AM, blackwing said:

I haven't seen the movie yet.  I borrowed it from the library twice but I never got around to watching it.  I see that it's on Netflix.  Granted, the TV showrunners could choose to change a lot of things, but for those that have seen the movie, do you think watching the movie might spoil things?  Or are the characters in the TV show completely different?

I get that the general premise is probably the same and the classic haves vs. have nots storyline... the people from the back of the train are fighting for their lives.  But beyond that, is there anything that might be considered a spoiler?  For example, is there a murder mystery in the movie and there's some kind of shock resolution that might be replicated in the TV show?

Based on the one episode of the show and the movie: (TOTAL MOVIE SPOILERS)

No one from the movie is on the show as of yet.  The movie is set 17 years after boarding, I think they said it's 7 years on the show. The movie has a specific owner/conductor/inventor, Mr. Wilford, whereas the show so far doesn't. 

Both the show and the movie are set on a never-ending, self contained train, after the world has frozen. Presumably, they are the last survivors on Earth. Both have the poor people in the tail living in squalor while the rich people in the front live in opulence. 

The plot of the movie is basically an uprising from the tail that makes it to the front. There's no murder mystery in the movie. 

Edited by Superclam
  • Love 2

I saw the original movie, and while it didn't actually suck rocks, it wasn't what I'd call top quality cinema.

But there is no reason that the basic premise (last human survivors on a perpetually circling train; inevitable conflict between the haves and the have-nots) could not be made into a great TV series. I'll keep watching in the hope that the show is at least as good as - and hopefully better than - the original movie. Besides, it isn't like there's a whole lot else to watch. I'm down to three shows a week, one of which has one episode to go, and one of which is this!

If I can hand-wave the technology in other series, I can hand-wave perpetual motion in Snowpiercer. (The power actually comes from hydrogen fusion; the train has to keep moving so it can scoop up enough deuterium from the fresh-fallen snow in order to keep going.) Yeah, I can easily talk myself into believing it, if it doesn't get too ridiculous!

22 hours ago, Superclam said:

The movie has a specific owner/conductor/inventor, Mr. Wilford, whereas the show so far doesn't. 

It's revealed in the final scene of the first episode that "Mr." Wilford is actually Melanie Cavill (Jennifer Connelly), aka "The Voice of the Train." Wilford is hiding in plain sight.

(edited)
7 minutes ago, Sir RaiderDuck OMS said:

It's revealed in the final scene of the first episode that "Mr." Wilford is actually Melanie Cavill (Jennifer Connelly), aka "The Voice of the Train." Wilford is hiding in plain sight.

Yes, but I'm wondering if that's the be all, end all of it. Like perhaps there was another Mr. Wilford, the actual inventor, who either died or is missing somehow. That's pure speculation on my part. 

Edited by Superclam
  • Useful 1
12 hours ago, Sir RaiderDuck OMS said:

I think they need a Mr. Wilford figure more than an actual Mr. Wilford. If, in this show, the original Mr. Wilford died, can you imagine the power struggle amongst the first class section should that information get out? The person that controls the train controls everything. They'd be stabbing each other with the fish forks in the dining car.

• Love 2

Well, if you go by the book, there are 10 different trains. Is it crazy to think that each one has a “Mr. Wilford?” Maybe there is a true Mr. Wilford on one of the trains but since nobody has really seen him, he deputized 9 other people to also be Mr. Wilford. Like Spartacus. Or the Dread Pirate Roberts.

• Love 2

Finally watched the movie on Netflix, and I'll just say it's giving me a new appreciation for the show, which is approximately a bazillion times better. The movie is like an extra-dystopian Brazil without the humor, more unrelentingly dark than anything (and I have a pretty high tolerance for dystopias). The ending? Meh.

Kept thinking how glad I was to have seen Parasite before I saw the Snowpiercer movie or I would have been deeply suspicious of Bong Joon-ho's work in general, b/c Parasite is a work of genius. But if it took Snowpiercer for him to work out some initial ideas about class discrimination so that he could get to Parasite, I'm okay with that 😉

The show is much more effective, I think, in showing us the train and the various people and systems that keep the "pax Snowpiercer." It seems quite possible there was never meant to be room for all that in the story the movie wanted to tell, and that’s fine. I will admit that it was the general premise that got me to try the show, so it's all good, man ☺

• Love 3
On 3/22/2021 at 5:45 AM, FoundTime said:

I will admit that it was the general premise that got me to try the show, so it's all good, man ☺

Agree. And I saw what you did there :)

• Love 1

Matt's Inside Line: Scoop on La Brea, Chicago Fire, WCTH, Dynasty, Undone, OMITB, Flash, Ordinary Joe and More
By Matt Webb Mitovich / January 19 2022
https://tvline.com/2022/01/19/la-brea-season-2-spoilers-murder-mystery/

Will Jaylin Fletcher be returning as Miles in Season 3 of Snowpiercer? I know he’s on L&O: Organized Crime now, but he played a prominent role in Season 1 and briefly appeared in Season 2. –Chloe
All I know is that I am three episodes into the new season (premiering Monday, Jan. 24 on TNT), and there hasn’t been so much as a reference to Miles. Yet.

snowpiercer-miles.jpeg 

Edited by tv echo

Snowpiercer Video: Daveed Diggs and Rowan Blanchard Preview Overheated Season 3, Tease Melanie's Return
By Matt Webb Mitovich / January 21 2022
https://tvline.com/2022/01/21/snowpiercer-video-daveed-diggs-rowan-blanchard-preview-season-3/

It’s gonna be a hot one on the pirate train when Snowpiercer Season 3 pulls away from the proverbial station this Monday night.
When the series picks up six months later (this Monday at 9/8c), the pirate train crew is continuing Melanie’s mission, following a trail of weather satellites to seek out any “warming spot” on Earth, where the big freeze is finally subsidizing.

Thing is, though, as Alex sorta puts it in an early episode, the pirate train is basically a jet pack strapped to a roller skate, so it is very prone to “running hot” as Diggs and Blanchard share in the video Q&A above. (Conversely, Big Alice is running ice cold, making for extra-bleary conditions as Alison Wright’s Ruth, Steven Ogg’s Pike and other friendlies struggle to maintain the resistance.)

Diggs and Blanchard in the video above also talk about how those among the pirate train’s skeleton crew have had to take on new roles… Alex’s new, sisterly bond with Bess… Andre’s Josie/Zarah dilemma… how Miss Audrey will try to eff with her captors… and, of course, the fact that Connelly will be seen again as Melanie this season, even though the intrepid engineer very seemingly perished.

Edited by tv echo

Snowpiercer 3x03 Promo "The First Blow" (HD) Daveed Diggs, Sean Bean series
TV Promos    Jan 31, 2022

'Battlestations, You Dogs!' Snowpiercer Star Teases Master and Commander-Like Warfare Between the Trains
By Matt Webb Mitovich / February 5 2022
https://tvline.com/2022/02/05/snowpiercer-season-3-episode-3-preview-trains-battle-weapons/ 

What follows in Episode 3 — titled “The First Blow” and airing Monday at 9/8c — is a cunning game of cat-and-mouse, as the pirate train and Big Alice each navigate a maze-like area of interlocking tracks — where one clever move can afford you the high ground, and a wrong move can seal a train’s fate.

“I don’t know if you’ve seen Master and Commander,” the 2013 Napoleonic War movie starring Russell Crowe, “but it has that feel,” Snowpiercer star Daveed Diggs tells TVLine.

“Imagine a battleship battle,” Diggs continues. “I haven’t seen any of [the episode] yet, but that’s certainly what it felt like to shoot.

“There’s a lot of trying to deduce what part of track somebody might be on, because there are thousands of miles of track that have been laid and you can switch between them,” Layton’s portrayer previews. “There are valleys that you can end up in that are track-heavy with lots of switchbacks, so it becomes about predicting where your enemy might be. You try to get the higher ground so you can see them, but they can’t see you.”

In other words, the warfare will be much like a chess match — a trading of moves and countermoves. Which makes sense, because it’s not as if either train has any sort of “cannon” to fire at the other.

“Or don’t they…?” says Diggs with a wink.

Edited by tv echo

Inside Line: Scoop on FBI: Most Wanted, 9-1-1: Lone Star, All American Spinoff, Ghosts, Peacemaker, Walker and More!
By Matt Webb Mitovich / February 8 2022
https://tvline.com/2022/02/08/julian-mcmahon-leaving-fbi-most-wanted-season-3-jess-lacroix/ 

Loved this week’s Snowpiercer battle, though I’m bummed to see Wilford locked up. Any scoop on how long that will last? –Craig
Daveed Diggs put it best, in assessing Wilford-as-prisoner: “I mean, you’ve seen Sean Bean’s work — he’s not going quietly!” Meaning, you should expect him to eff with some minds from behind bars a la one Hannibal Lecter. “There is that, but Sean as an actor also is consistently unafraid to go all the way there. That’s why every scene with him is so fun to watch, because he will run all the way through the extent of the [acting] choice you can make and push it to the limits.”

Edited by tv echo

Snowpiercer Season 3 Confronts Wilford's Greatest Sin [Exclusive Clip]
BY JOHN ORQUIOLA    PUBLISHED 3 DAYS AGO
https://screenrant.com/snowpiercer-season-3-clip-wilford-alex-video/ 

Screen Rant has an exclusive clip from Snowpiercer season 3, episode 4, "Bound By One Track," as Alex Cavill (Rowan Blanchard) confronts the greatest sin of Mr. Wilford (Sean Bean). Snowpiercer's action-packed third season has just seen the Great Ark Train reunited after six months. Andre Layton (Daveed Diggs) and his loyalists aboard Snowpiercer's stolen pirate train traveled around the world looking for New Eden, the warm spots theorized by Melanie Cavill (Jennifer Connelly). In the 3rd episode of Snowpiercer season 3, "The First Blow," Layton returned and took control of Snowpiercer back from Mr. Wilford. Layton then lied to the train in order to get everyone to follow his quest to find New Eden.
In Screen Rant's exclusive clip from "Bound By One Track," Snowpiercer's long journey to New Eden in the Horn of Africa faces a literal roadblock. Layton quickly identifies the three train cars blocking the track ahead as abandoned parts of Big Alice. But Alex realizes what it means - The Cull - and she volunteers to face the gravest crime of her adoptive "father," Wilford. You can watch the clip below.
Alex was only 10 years old when Mr. Wilford ordered the Cull. Why the teenage Cavill needs to see what the Cull left behind for herself is a question "Bound By One Track" will answer, but part of it must involve Alex's need to resolve her feelings about Wilford. The billionaire raised Alex for 7 years after she believed her mother abandoned her, but Wilford also poisoned her mind against Melanie. When Alex and Melanie reconnected, the daughter realized how much she loved and needed her mother, only for Wilford to betray Melanie and leave her to die in the Freeze. What Alex finds on the remains of Big Alice is bound to help her cope with her conflicting emotions toward Wilford and her tragic loss of Melanie.

Meanwhile, Layton has his own major concerns about the Cull blocking Snowpiercer's progress toward New Eden. The former Train Detective used Asha (Archie Panjabi), a survivor he found living alone in Korea, as the key to his Big Lie to the train, with Asha claiming that she is from New Eden. Layton worries, rightly, that the longer Snowpiercer is delayed from finding New Eden, the sooner the passengers may discover Layton's lie and turn their support back towards Wilford. Snowpiercer season 3 is escalating the palpable drama and tension on the train as Alex revisits the Cull and Wilford's greatest sin in episode 4, "Bound By One Track."

Edited by tv echo

Snowpiercer - Episode 3.06 - Born to Bleed - Promo + Press Release
Posted by SpoilerTV at February 22, 20
https://www.spoilertv.com/2022/02/snowpiercer-episode-306-born-to-bleed.html 

Born to Bleed

SEASON 3, EPISODE 6 • NEW
9:00 PM ON TNT • TV-MA • CC • DVS

As the bomber is revealed, Layton comes to terms with his past decisions before making an irreversible call.

Edited by tv echo
(edited)

Snowpiercer - Episode 3.07 - Ouroboros - Promo + Press Release
Posted by SpoilerTV at March 04, 2022
https://www.spoilertv.com/2022/03/snowpiercer-episode-307-ouroboros-promo.html 

"Ouroboros"

New, 3/07/2022, Season 3 / Episode 7 , Sci-fi, Drama, Action, Apocalypse, Thriller

Layton realizes some dreams are out of reach as the rest of the train deals with Layton's status change; Wilford makes a staggering discovery.

Edited by tv echo

Snowpiercer - Episode 3.09 - A Beacon for Us All - Promo + Press Release
Posted by SpoilerTV at March 18, 2022
https://www.spoilertv.com/2022/03/snowpiercer-episode-309-beacon-for-us.html

A Beacon for Us All

SEASON 3, EPISODE 9 • NEW
9:00 PM ON TNT • TV-14 • CC • DVS

Reunited with old friends, the train throws a party; alliances are tested as the truth is finally revealed.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1

Sneak peek at tonight's penultimate episode (3x09)...

Watch: Snowpiercer's Melanie Return Destroys Layton's New Eden Dream [EXCLUSIVE CLIP]
BY JOHN ORQUIOLA    MARCH 21, 2022
https://screenrant.com/snowpiercer-melanie-return-layton-new-eden-betrayal-clip/ 

Screen Rant has an exclusive clip from Snowpiercer season 3, episode 9, where Melanie Cavill (Jennifer Connelly) reveals to the train that Andre Layton's (Daveed Diggs) New Eden mission is a lie. After Mr. Wilford (Sean Bean) left her for dead on the side of the tracks in Snowpiercer season 2, hope for Melanie's miraculous survival was revived by Wilford himself, who believed that Engineer Cavill somehow managed to find another train to follow Snowpiercer. The super train's crew does locate Melanie and manage to bring her aboard at last - but at what cost?

(TNT)

ETA: Plus another video clip...

Snowpiercer: Welcome Home Melanie (Jennifer Connelly) | TNT
TNT    Mar 21, 2022

Edited by tv echo

Synopsis for season finale episode (3x10)...

Snowpiercer - Episode 3.10 - The Original Sinners (Season Finale) - Promo + Press Release
Posted by SpoilerTV at March 22, 2022
https://www.spoilertv.com/2022/03/snowpiercer-episode-310-original.html 

The Original Sinners

SEASON 3, EPISODE 10 • FINALE
9:00 PM ON TNT • TV-14 • CC • DVS

It all comes to a head as old adversaries clash, with New Eden hanging in the balance.

SOURCE: TNT

Edited by tv echo

Jennifer Connelly says 'we see something we haven't yet seen' in Snowpiercer season finale
By Clark Collis     March 22, 2022
https://ew.com/tv/jennifer-connelly-teases-snowpiercer-season-finale/ 

Melanie's revelation has set up next week's season 3 finale to be a showdown between the forces respectively controlled by herself, Layton, and, of course, Sean Bean's always-scheming and back-on-the-loose Mr. Wilford.

"Again, we have opposing forces and Melanie wants to find a resolution, she doesn't want to be in this situation, an oppositional situation," says Connelly. "But she's willing to stand her ground for what she believes in. I think it's a great episode. We see something that we haven't yet seen in Snowpiercer. It's very exciting. You see something and the passengers see something they haven't seen in so many years. It's pretty thrilling. I think it's a satisfying emotional journey, but then there is something that transpires that nicely draws us into the next season. You kind of go, whoah, what was that? I want to see what that was."

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1