Type keyword(s) to search

Dead To Me In The Media

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, dubbel zout said:

That sounds right. This gives everyone a chance to end the show knowing the end is the end.

I agree.  Season 2 felt like they had run out of ideas, so perhaps with an end in sight, they can sharpen the writing and get things back to a better place.

• Love 6
On 7/6/2020 at 6:12 PM, dubbel zout said:

That sounds right. This gives everyone a chance to end the show knowing the end is the end.

It sounds like what has become the Netflix pattern. Year one builds buzz. Year 2 to get new subscribers and season 3 to close the story since more new subscribers are not expected no need to pay increasing staff cost.

• Useful 2

SAG Award nominations!

Outstanding Performance by a Female Actor in a Comedy Series - Christina Applegate

Outstanding Performance by a Female Actor in a Comedy Series - Linda Cardellini

Outstanding Performance by an Ensemble in a Comedy Series

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo
  • Love 5

So terribly sorry to hear the news about Christina Applegate this morning. She may be able to continue to act, depending on the kind of multiple sclerosis she has, but what a shame to have to figure our how to deal with this diagnosis on a personal level.   Even if she decides not to act, I really hope she can find a way to enjoy the things and people she loves best.  Please take care.  I have enjoyed every major series she has been in.

• Love 1

I'm excited to see how this ends.  I thought season two was a little slow to get going, so I didn't love it with the same giddiness I did season one, but I enjoyed it and really liked how its arc played out in the final few episodes.  So I am hopeful they've crafted something great for the final season.

• Love 2

Christina Applegate Pours One Out for ‘Dead to Me’

“This is the first time anyone’s going to see me the way I am,” she said. “I put on 40 pounds; I can’t walk without a cane. I want people to know that I am very aware of all of that.”

In truth, her illness is nearly invisible onscreen — a feat of savvy blocking and Applegate’s talent and resolve. Still, she wanted to offer context.

There had been conversations about whether the shoot should resume at all after the pause, but Applegate insisted on it. “I had an obligation to Liz and to Linda, to our story,” she said. “The powers that be were like, ‘Let’s just stop. We don’t need to finish it. Let’s put a few episodes together.’ I said, ‘No. We’re going to do it, but we’re going to do it on my terms.’”

Defining those terms was difficult at first, because Applegate was still discovering her own limitations and because she prides herself on self-sufficiency, on never asking a crew member for something she could get, do or find herself.

Now she found that she couldn’t work as hard or as long or in heat without her body giving out. She struggled walking down the stairs of her trailer. A wheelchair took her to set. During some scenes, Mitch B. Cohn, a sound technician and longtime friend, would be on the floor, out of the camera’s range, holding up her legs. Some days she couldn’t come to work at all.

Changes to the script were rarely necessary, though there were some adjustments in blocking. Jen had to be the one to open doors so that she could lean against them, and there are fewer establishing shots of her walking into rooms. In a terrible coincidence, much of this final season, written long before Applegate received her diagnosis, concerns illness, which made some scenes particularly hard.

“When Linda and I would do those scenes, it crushed us sometimes,” Applegate said.

• Sad 3
  • Love 2

I love that she feels free to say this; I think it can help people in similar situations who feel the same way:

“There was the sense of, ‘Well, let’s get her some medicine so she can get better,’” Applegate, 50, recalled. “And there is no better. But it was good for me. I needed to process my loss of my life, my loss of that part of me. So I needed that time.”

“Although it’s not like I came on the other side of it, like, ‘Woohoo, I’m totally fine,’” she added. “Acceptance? No. I’m never going to accept this. I’m pissed.”

And this is nice to know:

Another happy surprise? The bond that she developed with her co-star, Linda Cardellini, who plays the dreamy Judy, the lace to Jen’s leather — a friendship that both women describe as instantaneous and profound.

“I just had the immediate feeling that we were going have each other’s backs,” Cardellini said in an interview, recalling their first meeting. “Jen and Judy support each other, love each other, help each other through things. Linda and Christina, the same thing.”

But Cardellini was also her advocate. “She was my champion, my warrior, my voice,” she said. When Applegate hesitated to ask for a break or when she wasn’t heard, Cardellini stepped in. “It was like having a mama bear,” Applegate added.

Cardellini resisted taking too much credit for this. “I just wanted the best for the person that I love and care about and have the honor to work with,” she said.

• Love 2

As someone who's a total dunce and needed it spelled out in this forum that Jen sharing a scene with Judy's mom meant a reunion for Christina Applegate with her Married With Children mom Katey Sagal, I was touched to come across this footage of Applegate getting a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame where Sagal was there with her, physically supporting her so she could give her speech (which is moving and humorous, as she honors her rare longstanding relationships in the industry, makes me cry with her tribute to her daughter, and has wonderful gallows humor about her disease) from a standing position:

Linda Cardellini was there, too, and gave a speech (along with Sagal, this show's creator Liz Feldman, and Married With Children brother David Faustino).  I haven't had a chance to watch any of that yet, but here's the whole ceremony:

• Love 2