Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E20: Look, This is Obviously a Sexy Situation/S02.E21:A Night of Delicate Frenching

"Look, This is Obviously a Sexy Situation" - Angie attempts to help Poppy through her situation with Douglas, only to be confronted by the fact that she might have feelings for Derek again. Meanwhile, Will distracts himself from thinking about Angie by smothering Douglas with a little too much love and support, causing him to look for comfort in the last place he expected to find it, on an all-new episode of "Single Parents," WEDNESDAY, MAY 6 (8:30-9:00 p.m. EDT), on ABC. (TV-PG, DL) Episodes can also be viewed the next day on demand and on Hulu.

“A Night of Delicate Frenching” – With Graham and Sophie away at Lance Bass Space Camp, Angie decides to spend the summer in Barstow with Derek, leaving Will plotting a way to stop her. Meanwhile, Rory and the twins attempt to make Poppy and Douglas jealous with the goal of getting them back together on an all-new episode of “Single Parents,” WEDNESDAY, MAY 6 (9:30-10:00 p.m. EDT), on ABC. (TV-PG, DL) Episodes can also be viewed the next day on demand and on Hulu.

Grungy Adam Brody looks kinda hot, hate to say.

Also Zen/therapy Adam Brody is kinda hot too.

I didn't realize Poppy had never met Derek.

I liked the scene in the museum between Douglas and Rory.  It was sweet.   And I loved his facial expression as he watched post-break up Poppy and Douglas have 'elevator' conversation.  And I actually liked Rory in these eps.

He and the twins scheming to get them back together was a fun plot and I liked the twins' feelings about the movie the 'The Parent Trap'.

The names of the jazz artists on Douglas' favorite jazz show were funny.  Dimp Hoolihan, Fat Jake Lungtung.  Ha!

So Angie got fired and Miggy got a promotion.  Makes sense given their respective levels of investment in their jobs.  

And Miggy delivered my favorite line of the two eps:  "I love a mixed baby, half old-half young."

I mean, I knew they were going there with Angie and Will, not sure how I feel about how it is playing out.   It'll be interesting to see where they go if the show gets renewed.  

Oh man the return of Lance Bass Space Camp and Lance Bass himself..  Aw, I am verklempt.

Oh I hope this show gets renewed!

• Love 13
12 minutes ago, DearEvette said:

He and the twins scheming to get them back together was a fun plot and I liked the twins' feelings about the movie the 'The Parent Trap'.

My favorite line was one of the twins claiming making them watch the movie was a "hate crime."  They never specified which version it was but knowing Douglas, it was probably the Hayley Mills version (which I love).

Otherwise, I was just kind of annoyed by the predictable Douglas/Poppy breakup right as Will/Angie might have had something happen.  It would have been nice to see them work through these sudden feelings Poppy has which was at least largely due to being in a relationship with Douglas. 

But I found scruffy, broken up Douglas kinda hot. 

• Love 7
40 minutes ago, Irlandesa said:

It would have been nice to see them work through these sudden feelings Poppy has which was at least largely due to being in a relationship with Douglas. 

Right - I thought that Poppy wanted another baby with Douglas, not that she wanted another baby in general. But the way Angie was talking ("you want to put a baby in there!"), it sounded like Poppy was going to pursue single motherhood? I once heard an interview with Amy Sherald, who painted Michelle Obama's portrait, and she has a partner now in her late 40s but didn't for a long time. She said she was fine being single and childless and then she met her dude and was like, "well, shit, I want a baby with you!" But it sounded like the "with this dude" part was at the root of wanting a baby, and if she hadn't met the dude she wouldn't have thought about having kids. That's what I thought the deal was with Poppy.

I did like that Douglas was like " ... Oh" when he found out the issue was that Poppy wanted a baby. And Poppy is right that Douglas shouldn't have a baby he doesn't want; that would make everyone miserable, especially the kid.

Rory is an unpleasant child, but there was one look he gave that made me laugh aloud -  it was a "WTF?" face when Poppy and Douglas were making awkward small talk.

Leighton Meester's pregnancy is very obvious - not only is her face fuller, but they slipped and showed her below the chest a few times and she's showing.

If people just said what they meant, there would be no sitcoms. Will could have just said "Angie, I have feelings for you" off top. I did like his very determined face when he realized there was a slide show to make in the boardroom.

• Love 4

Angie getting fired while Miggy got promoted sounds about right. She really did fly to close to the sun sleeping on the couch in the lobby. 

So now we know why Poppy and Douglas really broke up, because they wanted to have Angie and Will to hook up and they didn't want everyone paired off! Well in universe its the baby thing, but from a narrative perspective, pretty sure thats why. Its too bad, I like Poppy and Douglas as a couple more than I like Angie and Will (who I prefer as friends) but I am glad that they are going to stay friends and that they had a real reason to break up and nobody had to become the "bad guy". I am really glad that Angie told Poppy to tell Douglas the truth about why she broke up with him, thats unfair to not tell him why she dumped him, especially because they still see each other all of the time. 

The scene between Douglas and Poppy was really sweet. "This is more government control than the Gipper would have wanted and you know it!" 

The twins have very mixed feelings on The Parent Trap and how it depicts twins. "Its 2020, you cant just say that to twins." 

• Love 4

These were decent. Rory was borderline amusing and dare I say endearing in the museum scene - proof that the kid has actual acting chops when the writers give him something to do beyond "flamboyant jerk." It's a little unbelievable that Douglas and Poppy would fall for photos photoshopped by elementary school kids or the idea that Douglas had immediately rebounded with a 25-year-old pothead, but whatever, the plot was cute.

I was glad that Angie called Poppy out on keeping Douglas in the dark and surprised how quickly/maturely it was resolved between Poppy/Douglas, but it makes it awkward when the writers want to get them back together. No one moves on that dealbreaker and they already threw out the "I want you more than I care about babies" line. It's a very forced break-up, but the writers have backed themselves into a corner for when they inevitably date again.

Will/Angie is so, so bad. Like second-hand embarrassment bad. Now that I know Adam Brody is Leighton's irl partner, it makes sense they have more chemistry, but still...cringe. Will's "romantic realization" self doesn't feel any different from how he usually interacts with her - no tension, no stakes - just more nagging and annoying than usual. The writers want us (and them) to think they hooked up after the wine, but that "awkward embrace" looked like two cousins cuddling. George Michael and Maeby had more romantic tension on Arrested Development and they were actual cousins. This romantic development is beyond painful and proves that they never should've attempted to go there.

• Love 5
8 hours ago, Empress1 said:

I did like that Douglas was like " ... Oh" when he found out the issue was that Poppy wanted a baby. And Poppy is right that Douglas shouldn't have a baby he doesn't want; that would make everyone miserable, especially the kid.

I'm a little torn on this.  I don't want kids and I fully support those who don't want kids.  But I also know people do and can change their minds once kids are there.  And given that Douglas does have kids he loves,  I think Poppy was too hasty to tell him "no" when he said he'd be willing to have a kid with her. I don't think he wants another kid. I think he'd be very happy to have an empty house in ten years but I also suspect Poppy + another kid might make him happier than no Poppy and no more kids.  Maybe not but again, I think this should likely be a longer discussion than they gave it.

3 hours ago, SnarkEnthusiast said:

No one moves on that dealbreaker and they already threw out the "I want you more than I care about babies" line. It's a very forced break-up, but the writers have backed themselves into a corner for when they inevitably date again.

I don't think they have.  Like I said, I actually think this could be a longer discussion than they gave it.  Not always but in this case, maybe.  She had basically gone a decade without having the desire to have another kid. It wasn't until Ron had another baby combined with her relationship with Douglas that made her start thinking about it.  She could not find anyone she wants to have another kid with.  Or she could get too old to have a kid and not want to go the adoption route.  Or, if the show comes back, it can be post pandemic when she has been stuck with Rory 24/7 which has made her realize one really is enough.

Or Douglas could just decide he's willing to extend his hands on parenting time.

3 hours ago, SnarkEnthusiast said:

Will/Angie is so, so bad. Like second-hand embarrassment bad.

Yeah.  I get nothing from them.  Leighton not only has more chemistry with Adam but I thought I saw more with Chris Geere (slezy Brit she dated) than I see with Taran.  And maybe they could have made it work once upon a time but that time really doesn't feel like now.  I don't think they've built up to it very well. That, coupled with the meh romantic chem and I wish they would have pushed it out further.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, gsnrocks92 said:

It hasn’t; ABC hasn’t made decisions yet and may not for another month or so. 

Really? I thought I saw it lumped in with a bunch of other renewals. Must have been wishful thinking.  So Sorry but fingers still crosses.

13 minutes ago, Koalagirl said:

Really? I thought I saw it lumped in with a bunch of other renewals. Must have been wishful thinking.  So Sorry but fingers still crosses.

Yeah normally most renewal/cancellation news would be out today but networks are holding off for now to take more time looking at scripts for new shows, since they couldn’t film pilots they are instead writing 2-3 more scripts for the new shows and making decisions based on that. Though CBS did get all their news out on Wednesday but they seem pretty set in what they want to do for fall (if TV starts in fall).

• Love 1

I never thought Poppy and Douglas made any sense as a couple in the first place. But I also thought Poppy only wanted a baby because she was competing with her ex, and wanted to prove to herself that her new life was as awesome as his. The whole situation feels like BS to me.

• Love 2

I loved both of these episodes, even though I hate the Douglas/Poppy breakup.

Come on, Will and Angie are both fully clothed in that final scene - nuttin' happened there. But I am on board with them getting together so if something did it's fine with me.

There were so many funny lines flying I could barely keep up. I just love the quirky, weird humor in this show.

• Love 2