Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E05: The Grey Market

• Start Topic

Nora’s Dad’s vape lung worsens while Nathan, his friend Luke, and Dylan, an uploaded teen whose body is not keeping up with his age, visit a hacker’s market in cyberspace.

Airdate: May 1, 2020

(edited)

Dylan cracked me up - and I guess he got a little karma, when he aged into a girl's body. 

"Ma, I'm just fucking with dead people!" Heh. 

I like this more than I thought I would.

Edited by Anela
  • Like 1
  • Love 6

Once it happened my first thought that 18yo Dylan should go full-on Tiresias and use the opportunity to experience sex as a woman, but I soon realized:

• No man wants to discover (as Tiresias did) that sex is better as a woman and
  • In the universe of this show, surely that particular exploration has already happened. A lot.

Tiresias_striking_the_snakes.png

• LOL 1
  • Love 5

Dylan staying the same age in his virtual afterlife reminded me of Claudia in Interview with the Vampire, condemned to always look like a child despite how many years she'd actually lived (although Dylan has quite a few more decades to go before he catches up with Claudia's life experience). 

The grey market was a really interesting place and I cracked up at some of the weirdly specific vendors they had there. 

Ha, I loved that the girl who Luke was ignoring turned out to be a live person just fucking with him. Takes a scammer to know one!

• Like 1
  • Love 3

I hate the precocious kid and his inconsistent storyline. What a shame they didn't permanently replace him. But really, the idea that this kid wouldn't have instantly checked out the size of his dick, or at least looked in a mirror, is absurd.

Honestly, the side characters in this mostly suck. The floppy haired guy who wants to befriend Nathan is so bland and forgettable, I can't believe he was the best they could find.

The grey market reminded me of that weird club in Hackers where Angelina Jolie wore a white catsuit and played videogames. I liked the idea of hackers selling these avatars physical bits of code to change themselves.

The story with Nora's dad is so grounded, compared to everything else. Deliberately so, I guess, but it's the only thing going on that feels like it has real consequences. He's dying, and is actually accepting it.

• Love 2

Dylan looks younger than 11...and IMDB says he's currently 13, but I stand by my statement. Seriously, how'd he not see the boobs?I liked that he learned a lesson and told off Luke about his "legs" comment. 

"Somebody somewhere's probably up to some kind of fuckery." This should be stitched on a throw pillow. 

Poor Fran. But who uses a self-driving car, when investigating a suspicious self-driving car death?

I want Nora's ring flash drive. That might be the one thing I'd like to be real about this show.

• Like 1
  • Love 6

But how does a grey market get created? And by whom? Is it like the "dark net" of upload worlds where everyone knows it's there, people make/spend money in it but it's too hidden to shut down?

3 hours ago, bettername2come said:

Poor Fran. But who uses a self-driving car, when investigating a suspicious self-driving car death?

Seriously.

• Love 1
5 hours ago, bettername2come said:

I want Nora's ring flash drive. That might be the one thing I'd like to be real about this show.

There has to be someone out there somewhere who is working on this. It's genius!

On 5/17/2020 at 3:01 PM, Danny Franks said:

The floppy haired guy who wants to befriend Nathan is so bland and forgettable, I can't believe he was the best they could find.

Luke is just annoying. I may have missed something that explained why he is so annoying and why he is obsessed with befriending Nathan.