Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E06: Meg

• Start Topic

I kinda want to actually see Meg after what we saw on the show and reading the entry for the Wiki entry on the real person. It sounds like it could make for an interesting movie. But I guess I'll never get to see it now that the reels were bought. Someone made a back up for sure, otherwise the final episode is just people sitting around bemoaning they will never be famous or yelling at the people who burnt it.

I forgot what the role of the lawyer was in the big scheme of things while Ace was out of action,  Avis was technically just a figurehead who got to greenlight things but would the lawyer really have the power to destroy film footage AND talk to Ace like Ace wasn't in control of the studio. When the lawyer was talking about not releasing Meg I had to remind myself he was just a laayer and not even on the board of directors.

I burst out loud when Henry suggested the Estelle Williams/Busby Berkeley number as an improvement. I'm all for large choreographed numbers in movies but Meg is not that kind of movie. Also when Henry was re-editing the film, I had flashbacks to stories revolving around Jeffery Katzenberg making editing suggestions to The Black Cauldron like it was a live action film with lots of unused footage available to use. And I'm not sure they need a scene where Meg gives an external monologue to explain her inner feelings to the audience, if that editing boy could understand her motivation to kill herself than surely the general audience can. Although today's audience has taught me that they need every little backstory and plot hole explained so maybe Henry does have a point.

I'm so happy for Archie and Rock, even though back then there is no way an interracial gay couple would be remotely accepted by society.

Ellen's gonna make a move on Ernie isn't she? Assuming Ernie doesn't die of lung cancer before the end of next episode? I'm so glad Ernie got to live his dream. I know people rag on sappy happy stuff these days in movies and TV but I'm a sucker for it.

I honestly thought this series (it's a one off isn't it?) was going to end like so many Murphy productions, everything is wrapped up in the 2nd last episode with the final episode being mostly a pointless epilogue, but nope he got me with the death of Ace and the burning of the film.

• Love 6

Can I get more of the grumpy editor who slept with Gloria Swanson in the preview room?! 

Henry's Estelle Williams inspired swimming idea was so hilariously awful, especially because so many movies from that time really did have these big random song and dance/swim sequences right smack dab in the middle of a movie that just came out of nowhere. His idea for showing one scene where Meg contemplates her life actually isn't an awful idea though, shockingly enough. 

I should have known the second Ace started showing a nicer side and reconciled with his wife and decided to do the picture, that he was doomed. Meg actually does look quite good, and the actors really all have that look that works in the period. Even Rock did a good job with his one scene. But now its all been burned, so...what the hell are they going to do? I am guessing that there is a copy somewhere, the movie being destroyed seems like a pretty big downer. 

• Love 1

Needs more crotchety movie editor!

Felt happy for Ernie, nice he gets to live the dream before he departs.

Hopefully this season, like Meg, will have a happy ending.

I wonder if they will feature a different set of characters if the show is renewed? Or will they stick with this bunch? I'm definitely partial to the studio characters. Wouldn't mind a change-up on the actors though.

• Love 4

One follow up to the Easter egg spoiler Darren Criss tweeted that a link is posted to in the episode five thread. Early in this episode, we finally get to see twin baby daddy Anderson, and he’s wearing a bow tie. All of that cannot be an accident. Have to love the shout out!

On 5/2/2020 at 4:57 PM, Bill1978 said:

I'm so happy for Archie and Rock, even though back then there is no way an interracial gay couple would be remotely accepted by society.

Does anyone even know besides the gas station people and Raymond?  I know some gay people did live together back in the day, but they told people they were "roommates."

On 5/7/2020 at 2:04 PM, tennisgurl said:

Can I get more of the grumpy editor who slept with Gloria Swanson in the preview room?!

The most amusing character in the whole show.

When they were showing Meg climbing up the H, all I could do was wonder if that was the exact same prop H used in the opening credits.

• Love 3
19 hours ago, iMonrey said:

They can burn all the film they want, unless they burn the negative they can just make more copies. I'm assuming this will be addressed.

Not to mention that in the process of making the final edit and producing copies for projection, there were other steps like an interpositive, an internegative or answer prints. They would have to destroy all of those to make the movie truly disappear. But of course that would be too much detail to use in a TV script.

Modern-day restorations of damaged or once-lost films are often made from such surviving intermediary elements when the original negative of a movie is long gone.

• Useful 2
  • Love 2

Ace had a change of heart and died and now Meg has been burned. Yeah, I think that all felt a bit obvious. 

I'm betting there's a copy somewhere though. At least Henry was trying to be helpful with a movie plot point and Raymond saw that.

Nice that Dick came out. Also nice the Archie/Rock scene in their house.

Jack and Claire getting closer was nice but also predictable in a way.

Loved Camille not bowing down to those racists here as well. Same with Avis as well.

The Ernie and Ellen scenes were quite nice too. I think I saw a spark with them. 8/10

On 5/2/2020 at 4:57 PM, Bill1978 said:

I burst out loud when Henry suggested the Estelle Williams/Busby Berkeley number as an improvement.

On 5/7/2020 at 2:04 PM, tennisgurl said:

Henry's Estelle Williams inspired swimming idea was so hilariously awful,

Her name was ESTHER Williams.