Type keyword(s) to search

Downloading... Upload in the Media

• Start Topic

Upload (TV series)    Amazon Prime Video    Original release date: May 1, 2020  10 Episodes

From Greg Daniels (The Office, Parks and Recreation) comes Upload, a new sci-fi comedy. In the near future (2033), people who are near death can be “uploaded” into virtual reality environments. When party-boy/coder, Nathan (Robbie Amell), meets his early death due to a car crash, his girlfriend Ingrid (Allegra Edwards) uploads him into a VR world. The luxurious “Lakeview” digital afterlife provides Nathan with his preferred version of heaven. As Nathan grows more accustomed to life away from his loved ones, the alive, cash-strapped Nora (Andy Allo) who struggles to stay afloat financially, works in customer service for “Lakeview” maintaining Nathan's simulation. Nora carefully constructs an avatar of herself to develop a relationship with Nathan. Ingrid who is funding this VR simulation isn't thrilled to learn about what’s currently going on with her VR boyfriend. 

Upload   Official Trailer    Amazon Prime Video

upload-poster.jpg.8d0e6b64468f658bba138320dccf4c89.jpg

That program description is misleading to inaccurate. 

On 4/15/2020 at 11:00 PM, AnimeMania said:

The luxurious “Lakeview” digital afterlife provides Nathan with his preferred version of heaven.

Spoiler

No. It didn't. It was Ingrid's family's preferred version of an afterlife.

Nora carefully constructs an avatar of herself to develop a relationship with Nathan.

Spoiler

Also no. It was her regular "Angel" avatar. Dylan got the same one. And it's just her dressed up a bit.

Ingrid who is funding this VR simulation isn't thrilled to learn about what’s currently going on with her VR boyfriend.

Spoiler

I mean...I guess. But coming right after the quoted sentence above implies Ingrid finds out about Nora's and Nathan's relationship.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, talktoomuch said:

That program description is misleading to inaccurate. 

Hide contents

No. It didn't. It was Ingrid's family's preferred version of an afterlife.

Reveal spoiler

Also no. It was her regular "Angel" avatar. Dylan got the same one. And it's just her dressed up a bit.

Reveal spoiler

I mean...I guess. But coming right after the quoted sentence above implies Ingrid finds out about Nora's and Nathan's relationship.

You can't be that critical of an advertising blurb that came out a month before the show airs. I am just glad when I watched the trailer it made me want to watch the TV Series and I didn't regret it. Of course it it not going to be completely accurate, nobody likes spoilers.

On 5/24/2020 at 3:57 PM, AnimeMania said:

You can't be that critical of an advertising blurb that came out a month before the show airs. I am just glad when I watched the trailer it made me want to watch the TV Series and I didn't regret it. Of course it it not going to be completely accurate, nobody likes spoilers.

Really? Why can't I criticize a trailer? 

I'm not new to tv nor misleading trailers. Who wants spoilers in a trailer? I don't like spoilers so I tend to avoid trailers, as I did this one. Still watched the show. Still liked it. Still think the trailer was needlessly untrue.

I don't think show descriptions have to be inaccurate to avoid spoilers. They can be suggestive without being revealing. But describing something about the show that is not true, is not a trailer. You know, since that thing is not in the show it's supposed to be previewing.

Reading this description after seeing the show made me think this particular trailer was written by someone who didn't actually watch the show. Because the things I pointed out above are just simply not true in the show.

• Love 1
22 minutes ago, talktoomuch said:

Really? Why can't I criticize a trailer? 

I'm not new to tv nor misleading trailers. Who wants spoilers in a trailer? I don't like spoilers so I tend to avoid trailers, as I did this one. Still watched the show. Still liked it. Still think the trailer was needlessly untrue.

I don't think show descriptions have to be inaccurate to avoid spoilers. They can be suggestive without being revealing. But describing something about the show that is not true, is not a trailer. You know, since that thing is not in the show it's supposed to be previewing.

Reading this description after seeing the show made me think this particular trailer was written by someone who didn't actually watch the show. Because the things I pointed out above are just simply not true in the show.

That is not be the official show's description. Blame me for any inaccuracies, I cobbled that description together from any website that even the slightest information about the show a month before it aired. I may have embellished it a little in an attempt to make a coherent description.

• Love 3
4 hours ago, talktoomuch said:

Setting aside the description, which has already been addressed, trailers are put together by someone who didn’t watch the show. They are given footage and instructions for the tone but know very little about the show. Clearly Amazon wanted to appeal to the fan base of The Office.

I agree with you that the trailer is misleading and portrayed it as a quirky comedy about the afterlife. I was expecting The Office mixed with The Good Place and instead got The Good Place mixed with Black Mirror. That’s why the first episodes reminded me very strongly of Downsizing.  I enjoyed the series but am annoyed that we didn’t get the show from the trailer. 

21 minutes ago, Dani said:

I agree with you that the trailer is misleading and portrayed it as a quirky comedy about the afterlife. I was expecting The Office mixed with The Good Place and instead got The Good Place mixed with Black Mirror. That’s why the first episodes reminded me very strongly of Downsizing.  I enjoyed the series but am annoyed that we didn’t get the show from the trailer. 

Love that description.  Now I want to see something that meets the former.  Forever, maybe?  No, that's The Good Place mixed with something else... some angsty marriage drama that I haven't watched yet, I guess.

• Love 1
39 minutes ago, AnimeMania said:

I had nothing to do with the trailer.

I hope that wasn't directed at my comment?  I wasn't weighing in on the trailer or your description (thank you for your service!),  just enjoying the various Good Place plus xxx comparisons.

I start a few of these threads for new shows and most of them get almost no traffic. I am just happy for the lively debate and excitement that this one generated, and I look forward to what season 2 will bring.

• Love 4
14 hours ago, SoMuchTV said:

Love that description.  Now I want to see something that meets the former.  Forever, maybe?  No, that's The Good Place mixed with something else... some angsty marriage drama that I haven't watched yet, I guess.

Tell Me You Love Me 🙂

• Love 1
(edited)

Comic Con is going to be free online this year due to COVID-19 so everyone can see the Upload panel! It's currently scheduled for Thursday, but be sure to check the Comic Con website beforehand to make sure they haven't moved things around in the schedule.

2:00 p.m.: Upload
Join creator, executive producer and director Greg Daniels and stars Robbie Amell, Andy Allo, Kevin Bigley, Allegra Edwards  and Zainab Johnson as they discuss how they brought this futuristic comedy to life, share behind-the-scenes details from season 1 and tease what fans can expect in season 2. The panel will be moderated by Engadget's Cherlynn Low.

Robbie will also be participating in this panel (which hasn't been assigned a time slot yet):

TV Guide's Fan Favorites
Featuring Hale Appleman (The Magicians), Chris Chalk (Perry Mason), Robbie Amell (Upload), Kennedy McMann (Nancy Drew), Jeri Ryan (Star Trek: Picard), Richard Harmon (The 100), Lindsey Morgan (The 100), Harvey Guillen (What We Do in the Shadows),and Alex Newell (Zoey’s Extraordinary Playlist).

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo
  • Love 3

The Second Season will be Seven Half-Hour Episodes.

Upload Season Two will return to Prime Video on Friday, March 11, 2022.

In Upload Season Two, Nathan is at a crossroads in his (after) life… his ex-girlfriend Ingrid has unexpectedly arrived to Lakeview hoping to strengthen their relationship, but his heart still secretly yearns for his customer service angel Nora. Meanwhile Nora is off the grid and involved with the anti-tech rebel group “The Ludds.” Season Two is packed with new near-future concepts, including Lakeview’s newest in-app digital baby program called, “prototykes,” and other satirical glimpses of the technological advances and headaches to come.

Series stars: Robbie Amell as “Nathan,” Andy Allo as “Nora,” Kevin Bigley as “Luke”, Allegra Edwards as “Ingrid,” Zainab Johnson as “Aleesha,” Owen Daniels as “A.I. Guy,” Josh Banday as “Ivan,” and Andrea Rosen as “Lucy.”

• Useful 1
  • Love 3

Exclusive: ‘Upload’ Creator Greg Daniels Teases Season 2 Storyline and Reveals They're Already Writing Season 3

Upload was originally a book that Greg Daniels was planning on writing that he transitioned into a TV screenplay. Daniels saw which characters were popular in Season 1 and expanded their roles in Season 2. The special effects are very heavy for the show and really slow down the release of the title. In an attempt to speed up the release process, Daniels is already half-way through writing a third season, even though the series has not been renewed yet.

• Useful 1
12 hours ago, AnimeMania said:

Daniels saw which characters were popular in Season 1 and expanded their roles in Season 2. 

Hmm. Not sure that's going to happen. The best characters were definitely Nora and Aleesha and the worst were... well, nearly everyone in the afterlife.

On 1/24/2022 at 6:57 PM, auntiemel said:

I can't wait! I love this show!

Me, too, but I'll have to wait until Amazon offers another free or low-cost trial of Prime. I hate to give any more money to Bezos than I have to.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, HerkyJerky said:

Do we know whether Prime is going to dump all the episodes at once or is it going to be on a weekly basis?

According to tvdb, all at once.

• Love 1

Upload Season 3: Get Release Date, First Photos and Scoop for Sci-Fi Comedy

Upload Season 3       Friday, October 20, 2023     Prime Video    8 episodes

UPLO_S3_UT_30_220816_HENLIA_00460R_CropC

Season 3 picks back up with Nora and freshly downloaded Nathan as they navigate their relationship, while racing to stop the mysterious conspiracy that threatens to destroy millions of lives. Can they shut down Freeyond, and finally have a real life together? Or is it just a matter of time until Nathan’s head explodes? Meanwhile, in Lakeview, a backup copy of Nathan has been activated and Ingrid’s not about to let this second chance at love slip away. And back in the real world, Aleesha rises through the ranks of Horizen by managing AI education, and falls into a new romantic relationship. And Luke, all alone in Lakeview, is forced to come up with the funds to pay for his stay in paradise, driving him to work in The Grey Zone. 

More photos in article.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1

It's always such a relief when you check the media thread of a show you love, expecting the news to be that the show was abruptly canceled, but instead find that it has been renewed for a final season.

I'm glad they will be able to wrap everything up,and hopefully close to how it was originally planned. The third season wasn't nearly as strong as the first two, but I'm glad they're ending it on their terms.

• Like 1