Type keyword(s) to search

Secret Life Of The Zoo - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Thanks, @Raven!

I want to start by listing my favorite Keepers in no particular order.

Niall - Bodge's best buddy and the only one able to bargain with him to release the big wooden stick.

Kristen - I love her exuberance and love of the animals.

Sarah with the unfortunately poor teeth (don't they have orthodontists in England) for her no-nonsense attitude and facing down the giraffes when they misbehave.

Clare as second in command with the chimps and her delivery of the facts.

Actually, there isn't any of them I don't love.  The two in the insect house are adorable - he looks like a giant bug nerd and she would be the last person I'd expect to be one as well!

• Love 6

I like the escape artists animals.     The hubbub when the orangutans (or which ever primate they were) escaped was hysterical.     I love all of the keepers.      The young elephant getting jealous of the new baby, and the way the females all protected the baby was amazing.  

• Love 3
(edited)
4 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

The young elephant getting jealous of the new baby, and the way the females all protected the baby was amazing.  

Oooh, she was a sneaky little brat, wasn't she? She knew it was wrong but she did it anyway and took pleasure in doing it.

Edited by suomi
  • Love 3

I wish this show had enough seasons and episodes for it's own channel. It is a totally charming endeavor. 

I'm STILL chuckling about Diego the otter moving out after he didn't click with Icana: "his clothes are boxed on the porch."

• Love 5
27 minutes ago, suomi said:

That IS good news! I hope Anjan is nicer to a new baby than Indali was, when it was her turn. She was a little shit!

The girls do tend to be a little more jealous it seems. I remember how Nandita was as well. They were a riot to watch though.

• Love 2

When the series started it was male elephant Hari who was the little brat who sneaked kicks in at the newest baby (Nandita, I think?)  Hari was my favorite by far. He used to wake up in the middle of the night and then go around and wake up everyone else just for the hell of it. He really drove the adults crazy with his antics. Apparently it's a common thing for the older babies to get jealous and try to kick the new babies. One of the older young ones even laid down and tried to act like a baby in a fit of jealousy to gain attention but the mother just blew her off. That was funny. I adore baby elephants. They are only second to any Orangutan, which are my absolute favorites, but very close.

I want a new season desperately.

• Love 1
7 hours ago, Andyourlittledog2 said:

I want a new season desperately.

A new season has been filmed a while ago but hasn't been picked up by Animal Planet.  I'm dying to know about some of my favorites and how they are doing.  Like NIall and his chimps - who is in charge these days?  And the wonderful elephants with their quirky kids.

• Love 2

I couldn't believe the Macaw escaped like that.    I was really afraid for her.   I had to laugh when the Giraffe's baby wouldn't go out in the exercise yard, and she booted him in the butt.   Then when the Giraffes all started running, I was worried about the little one. 

• Love 2

Such a delight to have them back and see our old familiar faces among the keepers.  Poor orangutans! So glad they had a way to get to safety. I do remember when several of them escaped to the roof when they first moved into that enclosure and how one was wearing the fire extinguisher cover as a cape.

That new giraffelet is really a handful!  He's going to be stirring things up for a while.

I love the new intro scenes.  They made me laugh out loud.

• Love 2

I knew the disease in the elephants was bad, but I didn't realize how bad until last night.   It was adorable that the Bull elephant was so kind to the little one.   

The answer to the bald patches on the little otters was so bizarre.   I'm glad the older sister is doing so well at the other zoo. 

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 1
10 minutes ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

I knew the disease in the elephants was bad, but I didn't realize how bad until last night. 

The episode where Nandita and Aayu died was just heartbreaking, I cried an ocean.  It was just devastating to the keepers as well.  Nandita was such a character.

Interesting problem with the otters.  I thought of mange immediately but it was in such an odd place.  Hope Betsy gets to be a mom soon.  

Hazel and the Poo - sounds like a good name for a band!

• Love 2

Yay, another new episode tonight.  I build my life around this show, I swear!

I am so happy that it appears Niall is still working, he is one of my favorites. I do wonder about Anne with her penguins.  She's another big favorite of mine.  I wonder how the animals did without visitors.  Maybe the will do a special episode like they did with The Zoo (Bronx) series.

• Love 1

I love that the young giraffes now have two (or by now more) to play together, and are growing up in a herd.

What they did with the birds was amazing.     Having the one female sit on the other's eggs, and raise the chicks was genius.   

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 2

I love how Mr Parsons forced that lizard to move out of his way, to get to his girlfriend.    Why didn't the keepers remove the lizards after they found out they were in the trees, and harassing the Chameleons?     They didn't belong together.    I bet those lizards will be a threat to any baby Chameleons too.   

It was sad about the fish that didn't survive, but I think the fish that had been in isolation was a great move.   He may be a little aggressive, but he's protecting his mate, and the species of fish sound very territorial, so he needed to be aggressive too.  

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 1

That's right no Boris, just the other chimp that is Alpha now, but not for long.     I thought it was so sneaky of the Alpha to start trying to charm the females, and play with Stevie, the youngest.      Since there is such a large group of chimps, I'm surprised that there aren't more little ones.   it could be only the senior females have babies.   I was worried for Stevie when the big fight happened.  

As far as I can find out, Boris is still with us, and is the Alpha emeritus.    Dylan was the Alpha when this article was written (2018).  I saw another article saying that a baby chimp was born in front of zoo visitors in 2019.   Boris is actually American, and was bought at a pet store in the 1960's, and raised in a New York City apartment for a few years, until he was too much for the people to handle, and found a home at Chester.   The article says the latest baby, Tina, is probably the offspring of Carlos, who is the prime contender for the next Alpha.  

https://youngconservationistblog.wordpress.com/2018/07/12/keeping-up-with-the-chimpanzees/

According to the article there are several older chimps, that are retirees, and still stay in the pack.    Boris is one of those retirees.   

Here's an article saying how the Orangutans were lured away from the enclosure, and taken to safety by the keepers when the new building burned up.  

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6501995/How-keepers-Chester-Zoo-lured-six-orangutans-safety-waving-bananas-enclosure-burned.html   

The  6 Orangutans, 4 gibbons, and 18 Macaques were lured to the open part of the enclosure with bananas, and then the access door was closed to keep them outside.      I found it interesting that the Orangutans bundle themselves up in blankets for comfort, and they showed them cuddling in their blankets after the fire.       The keepers went into the burning building many times to rescue animals, and the fire brigades first made sure the public was out of the exhibit, and the zoo, then helped to save the animals.     

The enclosure was rebuilt after this.    When a request went out for funds, the public donated twice as much as the initial exhibit cost to build in a very short time after the fire.   The zoo's insurance company paid for the damages, so the rest of the money went for their conservation efforts.  

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 4

I was a little confused when the narrator said that Dylan had been Alpha for fifteen years when we clearly saw that Boris was Alpha when the series started and then Dylan ousted him as Alpha later. Boris was a good Alpha who the females would run to for protection when they were being stomped on by others as I recall.  He also had a 'deal' with Niall to return items dropped in the chimp area in exchange for bread.  Then Dylan became Alpha and he was just a pure bully and not a good Alpha per Niall. Now a few seasons in and we are seeing the signs that Dylan may not last too long. Time seems to have sped up quite a bit.

Has anyone remarked on why the chimps have these big bald spots on them and some really rough looking skin? I don't recall seeing chimps in the past with so many skin/hair irregularities.

Edited by Andyourlittledog2
Boris is not Dylan. Corrected wrong name.

That was confusing on the time spans for Boris, and Dylan.    I'm wondering if all of the chimps are in one group, or if the retirees are in a separate pack?    Or if they used to have more than one group of chimps when the zoo didn't have the huge exhibit space they have now?   It looked like Dylan, the breeding females were the only ones in that yard?   I didn't see a group such as Boris and the retired ones around when the fighting was going on, or when the pack came out of the indoor pens.  

• Love 1
16 minutes ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

That was confusing on the time spans for Boris, and Dylan. 

On 9/6/2020 at 5:28 PM, Andyourlittledog2 said:

I was a little confused when the narrator said that Dylan had been Alpha for fifteen years when we clearly saw that Boris was Alpha when the series started and then Dylan ousted him as Alpha later.

I agree this was all very confusing.  And what happened to Carlos who was challenging Dylan last season?

I was sad to hear that Niall is going to retire.  I find him to be so amusing with his dtry wit.  He and "Bodge" are such pals, I bet they will miss each other.

• Love 2
5 minutes ago, Andyourlittledog2 said:

My program guide says a new Secret Life is on right after that at 11pm.  I feel like this show is the red haired step child of Animal Planet. They don't treat it right.

Even though it is marked as new, it's actually one that was shown in February.  But I agree, AP doesn't do well with advertising this show.

• Love 1
On 9/8/2020 at 9:35 PM, Kohola3 said:

....was sad to hear that Niall is going to retire.  I find him to be so amusing with his dtry wit.  He and "Bodge" are such pals, I bet they will miss each other.

I hope that Chester names the next chimpanzee baby after him, as he has worked there for appx. 45 years! According to my local TV Guide there will be new shows tomorrow and the next Saturday night as well at 11:00p EST.  😁 

Whoops, missed the thread right above mine - my bad...sorry Kohola3!!

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
14 hours ago, Ms. TV said:

I hope that Chester names the next chimpanzee baby after him, as he has worked there for appx. 45 years!

I agree, I hope they do and I hope he's as droll as Niall is!

• Love 2
3 minutes ago, RoxiP said:

I watched Mega Zoo - watching them treat the burned koalas was heartbreaking. 

That was SO hard to watch, I had to keep looking away.  Horrific for the animals.  Loved the snow leopard cubs, just adorable as was the toddler rhino running after the horn.

I have no idea about the Irwins. I know that they filmed the wedding after Covid hit and it went from a huge affair to pretty much family.  Covid has certainly thrown a monkey wrench into everything.  What a nightmare.

2 hours ago, Kohola3 said:

That was SO hard to watch, I had to keep looking away.  Horrific for the animals.  Loved the snow leopard cubs, just adorable as was the toddler rhino running after the horn.

I have no idea about the Irwins. I know that they filmed the wedding after Covid hit and it went from a huge affair to pretty much family.  Covid has certainly thrown a monkey wrench into everything.  What a nightmare.

Apparently good for fertility though since Bindi is pregnant...LOL!

• LOL 1

I've watched the current Saturday showings of Chester Zoo, and none look familiar to me.   I can only guess that when they showed months ago, I thought they were reruns, so I skipped them.     

I really enjoy this series, and wished they would show them from season 1 in marathons.    

• Love 3
4 minutes ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

I can only guess that when they showed months ago, I thought they were reruns, so I skipped them.     

Yeah, it's kind of a mishmash right now.  These are all reruns but from different years, some as far back as 2016. But I don't know if that means it was broadcast in the US that year or just the UK.  I have my DVR set to tape everything just in case. I enjoy it so much that I don't mind seeing some of the episodes more than once.  And I adore so many of the keepers as well.

Watched Megazoo last night and they have Asian elephants like at Chester. I wonder if they have had an issue with the herpes virus there.

• Love 1

I'm so happy the macaw or parrot or whatever he is will be OK.    I think the relationship between bird, and keeper is hysterical.    I hope they find him a mate, and send her to Chester.       The elephants never cease to amaze me.   I guess the little elephants bond with the bull isn't one where he can wake him up at night.   I'm glad the other elephant stepped in with the little ones, so Thi can get more sleep.  

• Love 3

Last week was a new show at 11pm and this week seems to be a new one also. I have watched all of the shows and saved them on my DVR and neither has been shown before that I can tell. I wish it was on at 10 instead of Mega Zoo because I don't like that zoo program (the narrator gets on my last nerve) and Secret Life deserves to  be on in a primetime slot, not at 11.

• Love 2

By far this is my favorite show out of the zillions of offerings on TV. I’ve always been a little sensitive to the audio on shows, some of them are so loud you can barely hear the narration. On this show though, the person/people that work on the background music should definitely receive an Emmy - it’s  in sync with the subject matter, never “in your face”, and oftentimes makes me laugh - like what is played when talking about animal breeding, or when huge elephants or rhinos are walking around. It’s appropriately subtle and it’s so well done - HATS OFF to this Show for the marvelous production, yay England!

• Love 3
2 hours ago, Ms. TV said:

By far this is my favorite show out of the zillions of offerings on TV. 

I have learned so much from all of the zoo shows but there is something so endearing about this one.  I love all of the keepers, they all seem to have great personalities.  And it's great to follow certain groups of animals from season to season especially the Asian elephants.  It's definitely, to me,  the best of them all.

• Love 3
3 hours ago, NoReally said:

Wait ... those unbelievably cute red pandas are more closely related to skunks than to giant pandas? And they emit a foul-smelling substance from their anal glands??

Who knew?

I learned within the last few years they were really related to raccoons (or skunks) and the like and not to giant pandas. Not sure about the foul substance. They are so darn cute and apparently much more safe to handle than the giant pandas given their size

• Love 2

I have learned a lot about a LOT of animals from watching this and other zoo shows.  This is my favorite, something about the keepers.  I haven't warmed up to the ones from Mega Zoo but that's probably not fair since that's a new show.

Love the Christmas episodes!

• Love 2