Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E06: Parallel

For once, an episode where nobody deliberately messed with Loop technology for selfish purposes, and there was a more or less happy ending. (More or less because Gaddis finally met someone... but still didn’t have somewhere to live, unless he went back to Gaddis 2/Alex’s place, which would be awkward as hell.) I guess that’s the converse that fits with the general theme of “mess with Loop tech on purpose and BAD things will happen”.

I really didn’t get the “stay in the shed during the party” thing except as a silly plot device. They could have simply introduced him as a long-lost identical twin he’d never told his friends about, and called him by his middle name or something. (What, has this alternate universe never heard of twins?)

• Love 5

I was expecting Gaddis to go back to his universe and strike up a relationship with Kent. Didn’t expect him to stay, but there was a good ending anyway (okay, yeah, I wondered where he would live, does the alt-universe have Social Security numbers like ours, could he get a job, etc. I overthink things!). Anyway, I really enjoyed this episode. Ato Essandoh was fantastic.

• Love 3
On 4/5/2020 at 9:47 PM, CarpeFelis said:

I really didn’t get the “stay in the shed during the party” thing except as a silly plot device.

This was frustrating.  I expected it to have consequences - that Gaddis1 would bring it up - but he didn't.  Still, this is one of my favorite episodes.  Ato Essandoh was terrific - I could easily tell which version of himself he was playing.  Gaddis2 stood taller, straighter, arms opened, confident whereas Gaddis1 was more closed in, quieter, less quick to smile, all from being lonely for so long.  When he told Gaddis2 "I can't live back here forever" and Gaddis2 seemed surprised, I thought 2 should know better, since he was happy in his relationship, cheating notwithstanding.  I also thought "maybe if you had let him come to the party and meet people, he would have stayed".

I was happy for Gaddis1, that it ended on a hopeful note.  One interesting thing about this episode, in fact most of the series, is how everyone kind of shrugs off the odd stuff that happens, except for young Loretta in ep 1.  I know Gaddis1 had built a fantasy around Alex and that kept his hope alive but he seemed to kind of just shrug and move on about the fact that he couldn't go back to his own world. 

• Love 1
On 4/5/2020 at 9:47 PM, CarpeFelis said:

.. Gaddis finally met someone... but still didn’t have somewhere to live .. 

He literally only had the clothes on his back. He is walking and stops at a roadside diner at night. How is that going to end when he makes plans to stay in contact with the new guy? 
At least it didn't end on a completely depressing note. 

These episodes are loaded with atmosphere and that's all well and good, but there are lots of unanswered questions: Two gay gentlemen living on a farm with no tractor for 10+ years and nobody does any farming? Gaddis#1 lives in the guest house in his reality, but owns the farm land and the tractor? Will anyone from Loop Inc. notice that their security guy is missing? 

Edited by shrewd.buddha
  • Love 1
12 hours ago, shrewd.buddha said:

Gaddis#1 lives in the guest house in his reality, but owns the farm land and the tractor? Will anyone from Loop Inc. notice that their security guy is missing? 

Gaddis #1 is the security guard right?  I didn’t think he owned the land, since there was a family living in the main house.  But I didn’t really think about that.

I wonder if Loop Inc. has a crisis committee.  Which employees are missing this week?  What random child has shown up at the guard gate?  Any injuries that might be attributable to the random stuff we leave scattered all over the place?  Ok, meeting adjourned.

• LOL 3
  • Love 4
5 hours ago, TexasGal said:

I wonder if Loop Inc. has a crisis committee.  Which employees are missing this week?  What random child has shown up at the guard gate?  Any injuries that might be attributable to the random stuff we leave scattered all over the place?  Ok, meeting adjourned.

Given the total lack of inventory control I'm going to go with no, no they don't have a crisis committee.

• LOL 2
  • Love 2

Not too subtle that Kent2 was looking for wood pecker.

Enjoyed the exploration of what it would be like to meet yourself — you would like the same things, would be friends, but it would get awkward.

The hovering tractor was an interesting mix, a crappy old diesel plow that could levitate — a combination of old and futuristic technologies.

• LOL 1

Well at least this one wasn't about children. But I half expected it to go darker than this. I thought Gaddis1 would kill Gaddis2 and take his place to be with Alex. 

And yeah, I fail to see how Gaddis1 can survive with nothing but the clothes on his back. "I'll figure it out!" Well, good luck with that. He is apparently friends with Loretta and her husband in our world, the first thing I'd do is see if they exist in the parallel world. He didn't even ask his counterpart about them.

• Love 2
40 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

Well at least this one wasn't about children. But I half expected it to go darker than this. I thought Gaddis1 would kill Gaddis2 and take his place to be with Alex. 

And yeah, I fail to see how Gaddis1 can survive with nothing but the clothes on his back. "I'll figure it out!" Well, good luck with that. He is apparently friends with Loretta and her husband in our world, the first thing I'd do is see if they exist in the parallel world. He didn't even ask his counterpart about them.

The Loop was shut down in the parallel world so, if there were counterpoint Loretta and hubby, they might not live in the area anymore.

• Love 1

So I guess the best way to have a happy ending is to not purposefully mess with Loop Tech, and just fall into it by accident! I am glad that Gaddis got some kind of happy ending, even if its not exactly perfect, its probably as good as he can ask for being stuck in a parallel universe. I kind of expected a darker ending, like Gaddis killing and replacing himself, but he didn't really seem like that kind of guy, and that things kind of worked out. Instead of being sad about what you dont have, try to find something for yourself. 

The floating combine thing was cool, a weird combination of high and low tech. Everyone's super chill reactions to the crazy things that happen in proximity to The Loop always crack me up. "Oh, I think I might have stumbled into your universe, mind if I crash?" 

• Love 1