Type keyword(s) to search

S21.E18: Garland's Baptism by Fire

• Start Topic

This description is from Googling "law & order: special victims unit season 21 episode 18", Garland's Baptism by Fire

Chief Garland must put friendship aside when a pastor at his church is arrested.

Cast info from Fandom " Garland's Baptism by Fire"

Main cast

Mariska Hargitay as Captain Olivia Benson

Kelli Giddish as Detective Amanda Rollins

Ice-T as Sergeant Odafin Tutuola

Peter Scanavino as A.D.A. Dominick Carisi, Jr.

Jamie Gray Hyder as Detective Katriona Tamin

Recurring cast

Ryan Buggle as Noah Porter-Benson

Demore Barnes as Deputy Chief Christian Garland

Guest cast

Roger Cross as Reverend Clifton Chase

Trian Long-Smith as Celeste Garland

Uschi Ushmeid as Abby Garland

Rick Fox as Counselor Edgar Goodwin

Laila Drew as Renée Lee

Stephen Urban as City Hall Onlooker

• Love 2

I really hope they don’t smear Garland or make him look bad in this episode, I’ve really liked him so far and I hope they don’t throw him under the bus. I’m afraid this episode will make Garland look bad and have him defend the bad guy until St Olivia convinces him of the truth and Garland apologizes to her. That’s what I’m afraid this episode will look like. 

On the positive side, from the promo it looks like we might have some courtroom scenes which would be nice, the more of Carisi in court the better. 

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Xeliou66 said:

I really hope they don’t smear Garland or make him look bad in this episode, I’ve really liked him so far and I hope they don’t throw him under the bus. I’m afraid this episode will make Garland look bad and have him defend the bad guy until St Olivia convinces him of the truth and Garland apologizes to her. That’s what I’m afraid this episode will look like. 

If this is what happens, then Garland is guilty of presuming innocence w/o jumping to conclusions of guilt. If there is one thing we have learn from Benson, it's that we should always believe the accuser no matter what. It's too bad they didn't do a better job of the Jussie Smollett incident episode.

• Love 3
22 minutes ago, dttruman said:

If this is what happens, then Garland is guilty of presuming innocence w/o jumping to conclusions of guilt. If there is one thing we have learn from Benson, it's that we should always believe the accuser no matter what. It's too bad they didn't do a better job of the Jussie Smollett incident episode.

Funny you mention the Jussie inspired episode - that was Garland’s first episode and the only time I’ve been disappointed with Garland is at the end of that episode when he bowed to Benson and didn’t have the Jussie character arrested after Benson said he shouldn’t be. It would’ve been awesome if Garland had shown some backbone and ordered them to arrest the guy anyway - other than that I’ve really liked Garland.

I’m afraid this episode will have Garland look biased towards the bad guy and it will result in St Olivia having to give him a lecture and then at the end Garland will acknowledge he was wrong and Benson was right. 

• Love 3

I have a feeling  if Garland just wore a wire and asked some more questions during the chess match in the first part of the episode, I think they probably could have wrapped up this case.

Hold the horses here! There is a video, but it doesn't definitely identify the minister as the male subject in the video, yet Benson is calling for a confession from the minister based on the money he gave out, even though it maybe legit.

Oh Oh, I starting to believe he did it now. When he makes that kind of speech outside the courthouse after the arraignment. It looks like Carisi will be coming up to bat in the last 15 minutes with a major courtroom scene.

This episode turned out better than I thought. There was more drama than last week's episode. This one kind of had you guessing as to the guilt of the minister. I didn't know for sure until, he and his lawyer had a meeting with Carisi. He started to make excuses for the crime and even wanted to call it entrapment. Then he just became delusional and even his attorney started to look at him funny. I was a little suspicious of the mother (in the wheelchair)  and her kid, because that is the kind of corny plot twist that the writers (and producers) like to throw in every now and then. I also thought the mother was faking her disability. I thought they might be extorting the minister with that video and he was just knuckling under, trying to keep it from coming out into  the public view, so it wouldn't hurt the reputation of the church, whether he committed the crime or not.

Is it me again or were they trying to make Fin the one that jumps to conclusions. In some instances it seem like Benson was telling him to take the "wait and see" approach. That is very unlike the old Fin.

Are they setting Benson up for her next tragic romance? Will Mark Fox be a semi regular now?

• Love 8
(edited)

Decent episode IMO - I thought it was fairly well executed, it was a decent case with a solid investigation, although it was predictable that the wife would turn on him and that would close the case, we’ve seen that happen on SVU a lot in recent seasons. 

I liked that despite the perp being someone close to Garland, they didn’t use it to throw Garland under the bus, I like him and I liked how he handled this by recusing himself and not getting in their way, I did find it odd that Benson and Carisi went to Garland’s house to discuss the case with him, I didn’t think it was appropriate given that Garland had a personal tie to the perp. I liked seeing how Garland dealt with the situation and I thought the actor did a great job of showing Garland’s emotions without overacting, unlike how MH does constant overdramatic facial expressions every time Benson deals with a crisis. 

Fin got some nice lines and was really good, it was really nice to have him back. Carisi had some good moments as well towards the end, although he was again shoehorned in to a couple of scenes near the start where he didn’t belong, I wish they would realize Carisi is no longer a detective and would instead put in more legal stuff for him to do. Minimal Rollins was really nice, although the reference to her mother makes me worry she will be the next Rollins family member to appear. 

I hated the line they threw in making the DA’s office look corrupt once again, when Carisi said he would give them a head start before telling Hadid. I have no idea why the writers want to make the DA’s office look slimy, other than for cheap, pathetic drama, it needs to stop, it’s an insult to the franchise and drags down the show.

I wondered what was the point of the hint of romance between Benson and the defense lawyer? It didn’t really add anything to the episode, and I wonder if we will ever see him again. It was better than having Noah in the episode though!

This episode was better than I expected, it didn’t drag Garland through the mud and instead did a nice job of showing his emotions throughout the ordeal and the investigation was solid. Parts of it were predictable, and I would still like more legal stuff, but overall this was solid. 

Edited by Xeliou66
  • Love 8
(edited)

This was along the lines of the better episodes we got for a little bit earlier in the season. I fully expected a full speeding bus headed Garland's way. He maintained as much professional distance as he could, the wife came to him, he didn't take part in the interviewing/direct investigation of the girls. No one else on the squad would have kept that level of distance. The wife turning was predictable.

I thought the lawyer was going to need a speech from Liv to see the light. I'm glad he was just a guy who believed his pastor, once he started talking about being seduced by the 15yr old seemed to open Edgar's eyes and he wasn't in on anything. I'll settle for his conversation with her at the end since she didn't "Save" him.

I really liked the ending. Usually we see the perp taken away and Liv having some kind of end moment. Chase (the actor was solid) in jail and basically unchanged, looking for a new jail congregation and considering it God's test was weirdly a nice change of pace.

We got a decent amount of Fin who got to mix with everyone. Carisi had scenes of doing his job without Liv.  I really can't expect more these days.

Edited by Gigi43
  • Love 9
7 hours ago, Xeliou66 said:

Fin got some nice lines and was really good, it was really nice to have him back.

When Fin and Benson were going to see Chase a second time at his home, I thought Fin had made up his mind about Chase's guilt, while Benson was being more objective. Both seemed to be obviously out of character

• Love 3

Any Canadians remember Demore Barnes (Garland) from Street Cents?  I've been a fan of his for years and he's been one of the best additions to the show in several years.  I'm glad he had a moment to shine AND not being thrown in front of any vehicle as a result. 

• Love 2

Well this was at least a decent enough episode, better than the last few weeks at least. Good guest stars, the investigation was throughout enough, and they did keep me guessing about whether or not the reverend actually did it or not. Granted, I knew he was going to turn out to be the bad guy, because at this point in SVU world everyone who is ever accused of sexual abuse totally did it, but thats just because I know how this show rolls, the episode itself did a good job with the ambiguity for at least the first half. 

I was worried that they would throw Garland under the bus, but he actually came off really well with this case, keeping some distance due to his own personal investment in the case, while also both struggling with the idea that someone he knew and trusted could be this can kind of person, while also trying to listen to facts and keep an open mind. Most of the SVU crew would be doing every interview themselves, running around trying to catch people off guard, refusing to change their mind about someone until the last minute, yelling at people for trying to prosecute someone they know, breaking laws, and just generally making it all about them, so it was nice to see Garland act so professionally. 

I knew the wife would turn, especially with the look she was giving her husband during his "I am basically Jesus" speech. The ending with the Reverend was interesting, he admitted that he did abuse those girls, but he also seemed so totally convinced that he was being tested by God and would just continue to lead his flock, it was quite interesting. 

Always nice to have more Finn, but he seemed to be doing the whole "your guilty until proven innocent" thing that everyone else gets up to, which seems rather out of character. It does bug me that the SVU squad basically go into every case with the assumption that the person they are looking for is guilty, to the point where they are practically begging witnesses and victims to say what they want to hear (usually that the guy is a creepy creepy pervy perv preferably while crying) like they all read the scrips in advance. Probably because the cases in general are much simpler these days than they used to be, its easy to assume someone is guilty when we all know that they will be. Again, its not just this one episodes fault (again, I thought this one was pretty good) but it does suck that the cases have become so much morally simpler now than they used to be. 

• Love 6
(edited)
9 minutes ago, tennisgurl said:

Most of the SVU crew would be doing every interview themselves, running around trying to catch people off guard, refusing to change their mind about someone until the last minute, yelling at people for trying to prosecute someone they know, breaking laws, and just generally making it all about them, so it was nice to see Garland act so professionally. 

You nailed it! It's such a refreshing change!

Edited by dttruman
  • Love 6

I was surprised how good this episode was. What's more, this was the first time in ages that Benson actually questions whether the accusers claims were true. 

However a day after watching the episode I had to wonder why Olivia dropped her crusading angel persona toward an accuser. You know a character has gone off the deep end when just acting like an objective detective makes the optics look bad.

• Love 5

For a good chunk of the episode I was convinced it was the lawyer, not the pastor. The man in the video seemed to have lighter skin, which fit the lawyer. But then I remembered shat show I was watching and knew the pastor was guilty.🙄

• Love 2
31 minutes ago, Sake614 said:

For a good chunk of the episode I was convinced it was the lawyer, not the pastor. The man in the video seemed to have lighter skin, which fit the lawyer.

I didn't even think of that. I was still amazed how Benson knew it was the minister from the video. Benson always seems to know who the guilty person without solid evidence. What bothers me is that when she is wrong, there is no apology and if it goes to court the ADA always takes the heat for wrongful prosecution if that is brought up.

• Love 2

I thought it was a good episode; not great, but solid.  When was the last time that we had a fantastic episode?  Chief Garland /Demore Barnes was the highlight of the episode. He beautifully conveyed his initial reluctance to believe the accusation which then turned into anger that his pastor and godfather to his child was guilty and ended with his sorrow over not only the loss of his pastor but his friend.  His last scene when he had tears in his eyes after visiting the pastor in jail  was played perfectly.   SVU writers should remember that the intro to Garland’s family was the proper way to add some personal detail to the storyline. It wasn’t gratuitous but a thread gently entwined into the story.  

Why was everyone so easily convinced that it was the pastor in the video?  Does he walk around shirtless regularly?  I also was surprised about Fin’s attitude about the case; he is usually one who takes a step back and evaluates everything before coming to a conclusion unlike other members of the squad.  I also cringed at the mention of Rollins’ mother; I was expecting her to turn up, too.  

Just 1 more episode for the season...

• Love 5
On 4/3/2020 at 7:28 AM, Gigi43 said:

Chase (the actor was solid)

Roger Cross. I've always liked him (though he'll always be Travis from Continuum to me). Also loved seeing Aunjanue Ellis as Co-Pastor Laura.

As others have already said, solid episode. Even though we knew who the perp was, it was still interesting to watch how they'd get him. And YAY to Garland not being thrown under the bus. Demore Barnes is so wonderful. I am really enjoying him on this show.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, ChristiKRN said:

I thought it was a good episode; not great, but solid.  When was the last time that we had a fantastic episode?

The first half of Season 17 had a run of excellent episodes, many of them of a higher quality than the last few Stabler years.

Chief Garland /Demore Barnes was the highlight of the episode. He beautifully conveyed his initial reluctance to believe the accusation which then turned into anger that his pastor and godfather to his child was guilty and ended with his sorrow over not only the loss of his pastor but his friend.  His last scene when he had tears in his eyes after visiting the pastor in jail  was played perfectly.   SVU writers should remember that the intro to Garland’s family was the proper way to add some personal detail to the storyline. It wasn’t gratuitous but a thread gently entwined into the story.

Finally got a chance to watch this last night. I have to agree that it was pretty good. It's another example of how the problem isn't a lack of ability on the part of the writing staff, but misplaced priorities on the part of those above them. Maybe we will see more really good episodes now that things are locked in to the end?

• Love 4
(edited)
On 4/6/2020 at 5:41 PM, Gillian Rosh said:

As others have already said, solid episode. Even though we knew who the perp was, it was still interesting to watch how they'd get him. And YAY to Garland not being thrown under the bus. Demore Barnes is so wonderful. I am really enjoying him on this show.

I'll be honest, I didn't know for sure. That's why it kept me interested all the way up to that stupid speech to the media outside the courthouse. I was then expecting Garland to break protocol and help the minister in some way and Benson would come in with something condescending, but gratefully, none of that happen.

I am thinking the regular writers, Martin and Leight took an episode off.

On 4/6/2020 at 4:31 PM, ChristiKRN said:

Chief Garland /Demore Barnes was the highlight of the episode. He beautifully conveyed his initial reluctance to believe the accusation which then turned into anger that his pastor and godfather to his child was guilty and ended with his sorrow over not only the loss of his pastor but his friend.  His last scene when he had tears in his eyes after visiting the pastor in jail  was played perfectly

Garland's emotions must have been bouncing off the wall through that whole ordeal. His confrontation with the minister at the end along with that noticeable tear are his first steps to a healthy catharsis.

On 4/6/2020 at 6:40 PM, wknt3 said:

It's another example of how the problem isn't a lack of ability on the part of the writing staff, but misplaced priorities on the part of those above them.

Precise and Concise!

Edited by dttruman
  • Love 5
1 hour ago, dttruman said:

Garland's emotions must have been bouncing off the wall through that whole ordeal. His confrontation with the minister at the end along with that noticeable tear are his first steps to a healthy catharsis.

1 hour ago, dttruman said:

I'll be honest, I didn't know for sure. That's why it kept mind interest all the way up to that stupid speech to the media outside the courthouse. I was then expecting Garland to break protocol and help the minister in some way and Benson would come in with something condescending, but gratefully, none of that happen.

I am thinking the regular writers took, Martin and Leight took an episode off.

I liked how the show handled Garland’s situation, it was nice to see a character do things by the book and professionally when a case gets personal, instead of breaking the rules or letting their personal feelings take over. I liked seeing how Garland’s emotions progressed throughout the episode. 

The writers are definitely capable of writing good storylines, I just wish they would give up episodes with more suspense where we didn’t know who the perp was immediately, and more legal stuff, and less personal drama. All too often it seems like the writers are too lazy to come up with better plots even though they are capable of doing so, and instead go for cheap, soapy drama. 

This was a decent episode mainly because the acting was great, the writing was slightly better than in other similar episodes of the past couple of seasons but it was still predictable. 

• Love 2
On 4/3/2020 at 12:49 PM, mtlchick said:

Any Canadians remember Demore Barnes (Garland) from Street Cents?  I've been a fan of his for years and he's been one of the best additions to the show in several years.  I'm glad he had a moment to shine AND not being thrown in front of any vehicle as a result. 

No but I really liked him in The Unit

Well that was underwhelming, will we ever have a religious figure who is involved with young girls who doesn't turn out to be guilty? I thought there was going to be a twist where it turned out to be the 15 year old's boyfriend but no, true to form. 

• Love 1