Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E19: Welcome to the Jump

• Start Topic

When Tina receives unexpected news, Calvin, Dave and Gemma encourage her to embrace a new chapter by taking a big leap of faith -- literally -- by learning to skydive; Marty helps Grover create a battle bot for a school science competition.

Airdate: 04/06/2020

It was funny when Gemma wouldn't go sky diving with Tina even though she suggested it 😄

The B-plot with Marty and Grover was cute, he was so nice to make him that robot. Although I feel like it was resolved a bit too easily in the end,

• Love 2

Normally I like this show, and I don't expect sitcoms to be true to life, but the menopause part of this one was so removed from reality.  Menopause isn't something that happens instantly after you doctor tells you "have it." Tina goes to the doctor because she has been feeling different, doctor says it is menopause and suddenly her emotions are all over the place and she has so many hot flashes that she needs the house to be cold enough to store meat in.  It was so distracting that I didn't enjoy the rest of the episode.

And I bet next week she won't have menopause symptoms anymore.

• Love 5
7 minutes ago, needschocolate said:

Normally I like this show, and I don't expect sitcoms to be true to life, but the menopause part of this one was so removed from reality.  Menopause isn't something that happens instantly after you doctor tells you "have it." Tina goes to the doctor because she has been feeling different, doctor says it is menopause and suddenly her emotions are all over the place and she has so many hot flashes that she needs the house to be cold enough to store meat in.  It was so distracting that I didn't enjoy the rest of the episode.

I agree with this 100%.  Likely she'd have been having hot flashes (and possibly mood swings) for a while, and they are exactly that -- flashes.  They don't last for hours, and most likely by the time the house cools down, the flash will be over.  And here's a fun fact, many times, hot flashes are followed by a chill, so you go from thinking you're going to sweat to death, to needing a blanket before you get back to normal.  And they can last up to 10 or more years!  

The menopause thing distracted me for a bit, but I managed to ignore it for the rest of the show.  

• Useful 1
  • Love 3

I had assumed Tina was already menopausal or post-menopausal.  

49 minutes ago, needschocolate said:

So true!  

I loved both her and Calvin's reactions to skydiving!  

Grover can be so annoying, but I liked his response to Marty's improving the robot - don't remember exact quote, but it had something to do with the fact that he hadn't actually built his project robot.

• Love 2

I appreciate that they threw in that Dave had jumped on deployment. I like that they mention he's a veteran; it makes his character much more interesting.

As for hot flashes: in discussions with my friends, they are different for every woman. At my peak, I was having them every 45 minutes, but they only lasted a couple minutes. I remember once a man said to me "oh, it's all in your head," and I thought the women in the group were going to tear him apart!

• Love 5
2 hours ago, HurricaneVal said:

The instant menopause thing was annoying.  But "Man, it's white people cold in here!" cracked me up.

I cracked up when Malcolm came strolling in with a parka and a hat on.

I wondered if the menopause story was Tichina's idea because she's done some interviews about how nobody talks about menopause and she had no idea what she was in for.

I absolutely loved Calvin's panic during skydiving. Just so funny. "You're worse than the owl!"

• Love 5

I thought the mood stuff was just that she was depressed about being told she was menopausal. Some women react to the news by having a bit of a midlife crisis.

But yeah, the hot flash stuff was a bit much. Just pure sitcommery.

I also had trouble Marty really thought that robot with the circular saw blade and no controls on it was a good idea. I mean... come on, show! There are other ways they could have had things go wrong without making Marty seem like a total idiot.

But I do like the show a lot, in general, and I give it a lot of passes because they always get at least a few really great moments each time.

• Love 1