Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: Off The Dance Floor

• Start Topic

The Small Talk topic is for:

• Introductions
  • Off-topic chatter
  • Having virtual tea with forum buddies
This is NOT a topic for actual show discussion. When you want to talk about the show:
  • Figure out the nature of the topic you want to talk about
  • Look for an existing topic that matches or fits
  • If there is NOT an existing topic that fits, CREATE ONE!
Examples of topics that populate show forums include (but by no means are limited to):
  • Character topics
  • Episode topics
  • Season topics
  • Spoiler topics
  • Speculation topics
  • In the Media topics
  • Favourite X topics
  • ...you get the idea
Happy trails beyond Small Talk!

Converting this to the Small Talk thread. Please feel free to start dancer/host threads!

Thanks for the welcome mat to Twoppers searching for a new forum.  Waves to Glark and Wing Chun: Glad I found your new place!

The switchup, especially with Twitter voting for an entire week, is the biggest mess I've ever seen a TV show create. (tho I'm far from an expert on the topic, there may be many I'm not aware of).

ABC.com can't even do us the service of providing a definitive answer to the question: send your tweets with or without spaces before the names?

I've decided not to cast any more Twitter votes (I did about 10) because I don't want to burden my followers with anymore silly lists of DWTS hashtags.

A pox on TPTB for this whole annoying mess.

• Love 2

Great attitude, ari333. Pop some corn for me, I'll settle back to watch the shenanigans, too.

Part of me hopes that Maks permanently loses Meryl so we can see fireworks beyond compare. But...I'm afraid it could really turn massive numbers of people off the show, and I actually don't want that. 

In spite of all the gimmicks, I still enjoy the dancing and the sparkles and cheese, and I don't want to hasten its demise.

Though it appears TPTB might want to drive it into the grave ASAP. 

• Love 1

I love me some cheese and this show brings it. I'm still in despite all the shenanigans.

Come on, Woodrose. I have popcorn AND Pepto. We may need both after this switch hits the oscillating cooling device.

• Love 1

Hola familiar faces. Hugs.

The evil villain in me wants to see Maks with Nene; but then I'm a closet Maks fan and don't want his head to actually explode.

Edited by ari333
  • Love 1

Hi everyone!  My TWoP name was Teagan1 and I decided to go with my real name this time (although, in retrospect, I should have kept the old one so I don't have to reintroduce myself once in each thread).  Anyway, I go through spurts of posting, then simply lurking, so you may or may not see my name much at any given time.  Great to see you here, though--I'm glad we all found this place.  Your posts always make me laugh or think, or both!

The switchup, especially with Twitter voting for an entire week, is the biggest mess I've ever seen a TV show create. (tho I'm far from an expert on the topic, there may be many I'm not aware of).

I have to wonder if someone is sitting in the studio office right about now thinking "what hell were we thinking?".  That's what they get for opening up voting for an entire week. 

*huffing and puffing*  I'm here!  I'm here!  Have I missed anything?  Am I too late?  Whew!  So glad to see the familiar names - I would miss you guys something fierce if the community fell apart.

My opinion is still out on the current season, but they sure do seem determined to make it all a giant clusterfuck, don't they?  I have my popcorn ready too and I can't wait to see Maks' head explode - cause you just know the producers set this Partner Switch thing up just to mess with Maks.

• Love 2

Hi, everyone, glad to see some familiar names!  I'm not on Twitter so I haven't voted and am not following the switch-up on there - is there anywhere to see which pairings are getting the most votes?

Hola!  I haven't posted much on TWoP lately, since I boycotted all of last season and some of the one before that.  But I watched a bit of the show last week and think that I might be able to tolerate Erin Andrews and that I generally like the cast.

If Derek doesn't win a third season in a row, I'll be a very happy camper indeed.

Mostly I am shocked that the show is actually going to outlast TWoP.

Another TWOP refugee here.   See, I can greatly admit Erin has better interview skills than Brooke.  Though that's not too hard.  But I still can't warm to Erin.  I just don't care for her as a personality.  But as of now I mostly tune Erin out.

The next couple of weeks should be a trainwreck.  From what I know we've got Candace and Charlie both having jive this week.  Danica and Amy both have contemporary and Meryl has a foxtrot.  Not sure about anybody else.   Amy also got some new prosthetic legs that she will be dancing with this week.   Oh, and Candace had both Aunt Becky and Kimmie Gibbler at her rehearsal the other day so we might be getting some sort of Full House action this week.

• Love 1

::waves:: Hi, Everyone! TWoP lurker here, gonna come out of hiding and post more! So happy to find this site, I was beside myself thinking of TWoP shutting down and not getting to read wonderful insight on my favorite shows!

I've been voting on the switch up, primarily for Meryl/Val, just because I don't want her with Derek. I don't want Derek anywhere near the finals, though I'm sure he'll make it there no matter who he dances with. Golden Boy, be gone!

This season I'm loving Candace and Charlie, and I do enjoy Meryl, though for some reason, something about her rubs me the wrong way. I can't put my finger in what. I like James but can't stand Peta, so I'm a little stuck there. I'm sort of excited at seeing him with another pro. My fave pros are Karina and Emma (I don't vote for Billy Dee though, as there are other celebs I like more, and I try and skew my voting toward my favorite celebs, they only get one season). Oh, and I'm a closet Mark fan. There, I've admitted it! I think he's a cutie who is just as creative as Derek and doesn't get nearly the credit for it. Mark did annoy me season 12 though. He almost lost me then

Have I rambled enough? Haha.

PS-not looking forward to judge Julianne

Another TWOP-er here, although I lurked more there, because half the time I posted in the DWTS forum I got an edit or a prissy reprimand from Lockley for some imagined boards-on-boards infraction, and frankly I'd had enough. It's nice to have moderated forums, but sometimes I think mods can get a bit heavy-handed. I hope that's not the case here.

Anyway, after my blatant boards-on-boards comment, about the Switch:

I voted to see NeNe with Derek, just because I think Derek's head would explode if he had someone who's that tall and who really can't dance well.

Then I voted to see James with Whitney, because neither one of them floats my boat, so it would combine two boring people into just one couple (and one dance) instead of two. Much more efficient use of my time.

I don't mind the whole idea of the Switch. After all, fans have often said "I'd like to see X Celebrity with Y Pro, because her current pro isn't a creative-enough-choreographer / nice-enough-instructor to showcase her good qualities." Weren't people saying this with Chynna Phillips and Tony, and with Hope Solo and Maks? Now we can see if our instincts were correct, or if we were all just smoking crack.

Twop lurker here…hello everyone!

I'm among the skeptics. I think the pairings have already been decided (and heaven forbid the switch back too). I think they chose the twitter voting route to make it as chaotic as possible. And a weeks time frame is enough to generate plenty of garbage tweets. If the voting ends at 11:59, it doesn't leave much time for any accurate counting since the new pair has to start working on their new routine by Tuesday.

• Love 1

I'd like Val with Amy. I've bought into the show narrative; I believe Val is the only non-Derek pro astute enough to manage her pressure, stability, and balance issues, while capitalizing on her musicality, showmanship and hip action.

I agree.  This is also why I think that Val would be good with Candace.  After seeing the great routines he was able to create for Zendaya based on her age, I'm sure he'd be able to create some great routines for Candance based on her desire to be a bit more conservative.  I've really been impressed with Val. 

TWOPer here, nice to see so many friendly faces! I am a longtime lurker in the DWTS forums, used to be an extremely frequent poster in the SYTYCD forums, as well as some other shows. Been dancing since I was a child, so very into the choreography/partnership/performance/costuming side of things.

So far, I'm really enjoying the one night format again this season. I like how everything moves at a clip, as I tended to find the two-night format to drag on unnecessarily. As Len would say, it's chock full of content when the show sticks to one night. Generally finding costuming to be extremely subpar this season, which is really disappointing me. Cheryl's stuff, in particular, has so far been pretty blah. I'm excited to see what she does with Drew, though. I smell a Jack dark horse situation if she can whip him into shape.

I'm a Val and Maks fan, but so far irritated by Danica and Nene. I want them to focus a little more--too much personality and not enough dancing from either of them. As usual, though, Derek's choreography skills are out of this world. He really understands how to maximize a dancer's strengths. His routine for Amy in E2 was stunning!

Missing the band this season--I work for unions, so I was sad when they went to a non-union band. Now I just miss the lush orchestrations. I'm pretty sure I'm exactly their target audience, but the small electronic band isn't doing it for me.

• Love 1

Hey guys! I'm going to start a General Show Discussion topic since this one is supposed to be for introductions and off topic chat. I'll move the posts over here into the new topic and you can continue on with the DWTS gabbery!

(edited)

Hi Folks. TWoP lurker (and snark lover) who defected from pure after about 5 min. Equal snark for everybody so I love the freedom to speak my mind :) ::group hug::

PureDWTS is AWFUL. If you are not in love with Derek, the mods and their minions skewer you. Not to mention they won't accept any logic other than their twisted brand of it.

Glad we can all convene here and discuss DWTS, with differing opinions, without being rude and making people feel like outsiders :)

Edited by pumpkinspice
  • Love 3

So is this thread for random talk about anything we want, like the fact that tomorrow is April 3rd and we are supposed to get another freaking blizzard here in MN?

YES exactly! ;) And I'm sorry, it's supposed to be 82 degrees here tomorrow which makes me crazy.

Tomorrow we're supposed to be at risk for severe weather (storms, possibility of tornados). There's nothing unusual about that in the spring where I live but it never ceases to freak me out a little. My ever changing debate in my mind is if I leave the weather alarm on & have it go off repetitively in the middle of the night, even if it's not necessarily an issue & not get sleep, or try to sleep & take a chance.

Exactly! Heart rate to 200 & eyes wide open. It's hard to decide if I should keep the alarm on audible or not. I've been woken up before almost hourly & nothing really happened but then again it only takes one time.... The struggle of making grown up decisions. I remember being a kid & thinking the storms sounded cool.

• Love 1

Earlier this week there was a blizzard in parts of MN and tornadoes in other parts.  "At least we don't have hurricanes."  That's what I tell myself :)

Dang, I can't imagine dealing with a blizzard this late in the year.  Then again, I do live in the Metro DC area, so dealing with a blizzard anytime of year is probematic.

We're on Cherry Blossom watch right now.   ;-)

• Love 2
(edited)

Aww. It's been years since I've been to the DC area, but I was there once in the Spring & it was so beautiful! I've been on pollen watch lately, but I usually am this time of year so I'm used to it.

ETA: I can't imagine having to deal with snow this time of year! Yikes! We had more than normal this winter & the snow days made me slightly crazy.

Edited by ramble

That pollen count would knock me out flat.  I have heard that those cherry blossoms are an incredible sight, but haven't seen them.  I bet they smell wonderful as well.

I think we ended up getting 7-8" of snow last night, but it is now supposed to warm up a lot so I expect it will melt really fast.  They must have gotten a good jump on plowing because even my street is done and I'm off the beaten path, so we don't get plowed until the main drags are all opened up.  That's one good thing about living here - we are used to dealing with winter and snow, so it takes a lot to really shut things down completely. 

The Cherry Blossoms are beautiful and I always encourage friends/family to visit DC in the spring.  I love riding my bicycle around the Tidal Basin - I personally think that the best way to visit the DC sights (especially the monuments) is on a bicycle - you get exercise AND avoid the traffic (just get off the bicycle when secret service agents tell you to get off the bicycle).

• Love 2

@RescueMom even people without allergies are having a really hard time here. It's been pretty brutal. I actually rubbed a bruise on the inside corner of my eye because it will NOT stop itching. I miss living in a place that can handle snow. I loved living in Buffalo. A walking city and such nice cool weather. I'm a northern girl born in a southern girls body!

(edited)

@radishcake that does sound brutal. Ugh! I totally understand the eye itching problem. That's one of the things that hits me the hardest with allergies. I've rubbed my eyes till they are sore & look bruised all around. Sorry to hear you're having it so rough! I really hate when I get to sneezing multiple times in a row when I'm driving. It scares me a little to be only catching glimpses of the road between sneezes. I'm sure my fellow drivers on the road would just love knowing that some mornings they are unknowingly playing chicken with me when I take my kids to school. 

ETA: @radishcake I just went & looked at your profile because your profile pic looks familiar but my tired brain won't tell me why. I noticed you said you're a knitter. My sis is a prolific knitter & tried to help me become a baby one. Sadly I lack any crafty bone in my body & drove her quite crazy, I admire the heck out of folks who can actually knit. (as opposed to the uneven snake like scarf thing I made) 

Edited by ramble

@ramble Ha! I am also over on ravelry.com, mostly a lurker but I occasionally comment! I teach knitting too! I love learning stitches so for me knitting is all about the math and the process and less about the finished objects, though they are nice when I manage to finish them! My profile pic is a snip from this:

csmIDRO.jpg

It's a picture done in memory of Maurice Sendak by agarthanguide on deviant art. 

• Love 1

4 days ago, we got what probably amounted to a foot of snow when it was all said and done.  Today I went out and ran/walked (mostly walked after a couple of fairly slothful months) my long route in a tank top, wishing I had worn shorts instead of my running pants.  The snow is almost all gone, and the path was completely clear.  Gotta love living here!

• Love 1

TWoP lurker. I tried to post there a few times but kept getting in trouble and racked up a few demerits. I still don't understand what "boards on boards" is so I gave up posting. From the little I've read here on this forum, I see posters can let loose with the language as was allowed on TWoP. I like that. I'll probably still lurk here but just wanted to say "Hi". Sad the other forum is going away but glad many folks came here.

• Love 2

@radishcake, I also admire accomplished knitters. I tried to knit several times but I can't get it even (or pull too tight). I can crochet a scary granny square but that's about it. I do however sew all kinds of bizarre things (I've made six fairly realistic mermaid tails within the past year for little girls' birthday parties) and quilt like crazy. Just started getting interested in smocking (boy I sound like an old grandma, don't I?)

For the rest of you suffering with severe weather, hang in there. I live in South Florida where our weather changes literally within minutes. This afternoon we had some kind of rainstorm and next thing I know, the wind is doing some kind of howling thing where the sky gets dark and stuff is flying off the trees. It was over in about five minutes but again, it's gauging whether I gotta grab the dogs and run into the downstairs bathroom or keep watching TV. In my area, we don't get many tornadoes but a few years ago I was out of town and when I booted up my computer to check my email, my homepage showed a tornado about 3/4 mile from my house - luckily it went the other way and missed my place completely. 

quilt like crazy. Just started getting interested in smocking (boy I sound like an old grandma, don't I?)

No you don't! Smocking is so cool. I have no one to give it too and the kid I do have is too old really for it. *cries But I love it and I think it's such a neat skill. I'm currently getting into crewel so if you're a grandma I am too. ;)

luvthepros we'd love to see you over here! The boards on boards thing is a lot different here and if you ever have any questions I'm happy to help. :)

Radishcake, in my recent pursuit of all things smocked, I've seen tons of ways smocking is used in adult clothing and homegoods. The same with crewel - gosh I love needlework. I've got a UFO (unfinished project) where I'm doing those hexagons to make a Grandmother's Flower Garden quilt (haha, grandma reference again). I've got a bunch of the flowers done but it takes a LOT of them to make a quilt!

Hello luvthepros! Welcome to the board and hope you'll post. I really enjoy reading all the different opinions (and yes, I also got demerits right off the bat on the other board, haha, it's like a rite of passage I think)

Radishcake, in my recent pursuit of all things smocked, I've seen tons of ways smocking is used in adult clothing and homegoods. The same with crewel - gosh I love needlework. I've got a UFO (unfinished project) where I'm doing those hexagons to make a Grandmother's Flower Garden quilt (haha, grandma reference again). I've got a bunch of the flowers done but it takes a LOT of them to make a quilt!

The knitters have a hexagon quilt that is made of tiny little puffs! It's called the Beekeeper's Quilt. Beautiful and I have about 20 or 30 of those hanging around but the joining! 

Ooo, love those hexagons! You're on Ravelry? Now I'm hooked. .  going to mosey over there and browse and plan 14 more projects that I may do if I live to be 160. 

Aren't they adorable? Yep I'm on Rav. You too? PM me your user name, maybe we're already friends! :D

Just watched your vimeo and I love your hexapuffs/honeycomb idea. I'm a crocheter not a knitter but what a great way to use all those leftover bits of yarn that are too small for anything but I can't bear to throw out.

• Love 1

......luvthepros we'd love to see you over here! The boards on boards thing is a lot different here and if you ever have any questions I'm happy to help. :)

Thank you. Are you one of the moderators?