Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: Off The Dance Floor

• Start Topic

So this is interesting. Apparently Lockley just banned me from TWOP to the point that I can't even view the forums. Apparently the reason is because and I quote "You are incredibly repetitive and confrontational in DWTS and have racked up a ton of warning points. At this stage in the site's evolution i think it is counterproductive to continue to have to follow up on reports about you and monitor your behavior. You clearly are not going to change. Banned." What's funny about this, I never got one warning from Lockley EVER.

Not one warning/note, anything informing me I was breaking the rules, none of my posts were ever edited, but apparently I supposedly wracked up tons of warning points I did not know existed. And every single thing is locked from me so of course I can't email anyone, make any complaint, can't even view the boards. And this is exactly why I refused to be fake and make a whole big show about the board closing. The board has it good points and most of it is the awesome posters who post there but there was just so much bullshit to put up with at times.

• Love 2

That's pretty shabby treatment, truthaboutluv. The guy is on a bit of a tear over there, threatening to shut threads down for straying off topic. I thinks he just wants it to be over.

I hope this forum will eventually pick up the slack, because there's really no place else to go. I took a peek at the pure site, but I can't abide the way the moderators heap abuse on anyone who disagrees with them, and then high five one another over it. Not my scene.

• Love 4

Banning frequent contributors - that ought to pick up the discussion at TwoP!  Oy.  Everybody knows the heavy-handed and capricious moderating over there has always been the site's biggest flaw.

Truth - I didn't necessarily agree with you on things, but I was enjoying the discussion over there. 

Honestly, I'm kind of just amused at this point. I guess I made the mistake of not falling in line with the "Derek is awful and the whole show is manipulated for him" and dared to make my argument on that point and apparently, well if Lockley's reason for banning me is true, some took offense and reported me for I'm really not sure what but honestly, it's like whatever. I get to not post for the one month they have left online - I'll think I'll live.

I just think it was especially suspicious that I was just pretty much locked out of the entire board (seriously I can't even sign out) so I couldn't report this to anyone else. And again, this when I had never gotten any warning from Lockley. So I was supposed to know I was breaking rules without being told so and then apparently according to Lockley I was banned because it was clear " I would never change" even though again, I was never told or aware I was breaking the rules. 

truthaboutluv, I saw that your name is unlinked over at TWoP and came here to find out what happened.  That's weird about not even being able to read the forums.  I didn't know that could happen!  I'm sorry too - I thought it was a good discussion.  I know the crowd here is kind of light right now, but I'm pretty sure others will drift over after TWoP closes down.  For me, this is the best choice.  I agree with Barbra Manatee about the PureDWTS site - I cannot stand the way they treat their commenters.  I've seen a commenter post a funny, snarky comment and get shut down hard for daring to speak out of line.  They have zero sense of humor. And double agree over how they high five each other over the person they just shut down.  I've got no interest in joining a site that treats their commenters like that.

• Love 3

Not one warning/note, anything informing me I was breaking the rules, none of my posts were ever edited, but apparently I supposedly wracked up tons of warning points I did not know existed. And every single thing is locked from me so of course I can't email anyone, make any complaint, can't even view the boards.

to mix my movie cliches, Nobody expects double-secret probation!

You're here now, and as one of my co-workers likes to say, it's early days so you can help create the culture.

• Love 1

I go to Pure because they do have an inside source at DWTS who provides them with information throughout the week so it's fun to have a place that's updated frequently with new stuff.  They are also good at linking a lot of interviews and videos.  But yes, the moderators are nasty, nasty, nasty.

• Love 1

OK guys I LOVE having you here and you are awesome. Thanks for introducing yourselves and coming to our safe haven! That said let's leave the other boards moderators to stew quietly to themselves. They can't hurt you here! ;) So on with the love fest that is Previously.TV.

• Love 1

I honestly had never even heard of Pure DWTS until I saw some comments about it over at TWOP and I've never visited there. The only place I ever discussed DWTS was TWOP. I venture to the ABC board once because I was actually looking for a video and yeah, I had to leave quickly. The discussions are very disorganized over there.

truthaboutluv: the level of oversight for a dying board is amazing right now. People getting threatened for some pretty arbitrary issues. I had been enjoying the discussion. Really, what's the harm if one thread spills over to another. 

I hope Danica is ok; rib injuries are very painful. 

Totally random, but since we can do that in this type of thread (yea!) I just want to say that I like the word whoosh. It's Friday night, my kids are at their dad's & I'm watching a cable rerun of one of the X-Men movies. Little things like whoosh are a big deal on a Friday night like this. :) I also like the word swoon.

• Love 4

"I go to Pure because they do have an inside source at DWTS who provides them with information throughout the week so it's fun to have a place that's updated frequently with new stuff.  They are also good at linking a lot of interviews and videos."

Yeah, I go there for spoilers and interviews and update my mother since she is a DWTS fan too. I love Derek, but they are really too Pro Derek.

This is not related to this season of the show specifically so this seemed like the best place for it. Have any of you every seen any of the touring Ballroom with a Twist shows? The show in my area is going to have Val, Sharna and Maks and I am on the fence about whether it is worthwhile. Just looking to see if anyone else has any experience with it. Thanks!

I have no personal experience with the show but from comments I have seen from folks who have attended one, it sounds like it would definitely be worthwhile.  If there were one in my neck of the woods, I wouldn't hesitate to get tickets.  For whatever that's worth.  <lol>

This is not related to this season of the show specifically so this seemed like the best place for it. Have any of you every seen any of the touring Ballroom with a Twist shows? The show in my area is going to have Val, Sharna and Maks and I am on the fence about whether it is worthwhile. Just looking to see if anyone else has any experience with it. Thanks!

Hi TeeM. I've heard the show is really great but mixed reviews on the "meet & greet".  The meet & greets seem to vary by whatever crew is running them and the guest pros' inclination to mix and mingle.  I've heard Val and Sharna seem to enjoy mingling with fans after the show. I haven't heard whether Maks does or not.   I hope you'll write a review if you do decide to go.

Is anyone planning on going to Derek and Julianne's dance show?

• Love 1

Hi TeeM. I've heard the show is really great but mixed reviews on the "meet & greet".  The meet & greets seem to vary by whatever crew is running them and the guest pros' inclination to mix and mingle.  I've heard Val and Sharna seem to enjoy mingling with fans after the show. I haven't heard whether Maks does or not.   I hope you'll write a review if you do decide to go.

Is anyone planning on going to Derek and Julianne's dance show?

I didn't even know Meet and Greets were an option! LOL That would just be a bonus. Thanks for your input. I appreciate it. 

And no, no plans to go see Derek and Julianne, though it does look like it is selling well. I'd actually prefer to see the Maks/Val/Tony/Zendaya show they are putting on in NY but am not motivated enough to travel for it. 

TeeM are you going to the Massachusetts show?  I'm thinking of going to that one too.

Yup, that's the one! I am confused by how these shows work though because it looks like Tristan and Kym are with the show now as "hosts." I can't tell if that will still be the case in the summer and Val, Maks and Sharna would just be additional people or if Tristan and Kym are not with the summer shows and Val, Maks and Sharna are just taking their role? 

(edited)

I didn't even know Meet and Greets were an option! LOL That would just be a bonus. Thanks for your input. I appreciate it. 

And no, no plans to go see Derek and Julianne, though it does look like it is selling well. I'd actually prefer to see the Maks/Val/Tony/Zendaya show they are putting on in NY but am not motivated enough to travel for it. 

Yup, that's the one! I am confused by how these shows work though because it looks like Tristan and Kym are with the show now as "hosts." I can't tell if that will still be the case in the summer and Val, Maks and Sharna would just be additional people or if Tristan and Kym are not with the summer shows and Val, Maks and Sharna are just taking their role? 

You're going to the one up in Beverly? If so, here's the info

http://www.nsmt.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=25&Itemid=1

Scroll down past the Rock n Roll show (which looks fabulous btw!).

They are listing the meet & greet at $200, limited to 60 people (plus the cost of the show seats).

Since the show is going to be there for 2 days, they'll probably be staying at the nearest big name hotel. The site lists the Marriott in Peabody as the "official hotel" of the theatre but it could be any big name 4 or 5 star hotel nearby.  If you want to hang out at the hotel's lounge, you might get to meet them there.  They all seem to be big coffee drinkers too so if there's a Starbucks or boutique coffee shop near the theatre/hotel, that might be a good place to see them too.

Edited by Uke

You're going to the one up in Beverly? If so, here's the info

http://www.nsmt.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=25&Itemid=1

Scroll down past the Rock n Roll show (which looks fabulous btw!).

They are listing the meet & greet at $200, limited to 60 people (plus the cost of the show seats).

Since the show is going to be there for 2 days, they'll probably be staying at the nearest big name hotel. The site lists the Marriott in Peabody as the "official hotel" of the theatre but it could be any big name 4 or 5 star hotel nearby.  If you want to hang out at the hotel's lounge, you might get to meet them there.  They all seem to be big coffee drinkers too so if there's a Starbucks or boutique coffee shop near the theatre/hotel, that might be a good place to see them too.

IIRC, the closest 4 or 5 star hotels to Beverly other than that Marriott are in Boston. I'd be willing to wager that's where they'll be.

I don't know much about the other stops, but I'm actually intrigued enough about this stop that I might look into going. NSMT is in the round, so the experience is way different than seeing it on a proscenium stage. It's actually a really nice little theater.

I think there's a Doubletree up around there too - on Rt 62?  I'd think that would be a 2nd choice before trekking in and out of Boston.  That's at least an hour's drive with all the traffic congestion.  I heard somewhere "The Big Dig" had to be partially re-dug.

TeeM

I just saw this and thought of you. These gals (mother & daughter I'd assume) went to BWAT in NJ and she did a little write up on her experience.

https://www.facebook.com/notes/dmitry-dream-team-dmitry-chaplin/icymi-the-dmitry-dish-special-edition-ballroom-with-a-twist-millburn-nj-may-10-1/656893184382730 . She also gave a link at the end for some photos.

It looks like it's a public page but if you don't have Facebook, let me know and I'll copy/paste her story for you.

Thanks, I knew there was someone who was not a ballroom Pro. And I do remember Shirley, Mark's mom mentioning Derek helping smooth out some of the choreography when she was on the Afterbuzz that week. As for Christopher, no I don't know about that National Day Dance but I think he came to mind because he helped with the MSOD tribute to American Icons (or whatever it was called) number.

Derek helped with directing the music video. Anyway, every year Dizzy Feet has National Dance Day events all around the country and they prepare for it by putting out little dances that people can learn at home and then perhaps join in on various events on Dance Day . It's just a fun way of getting people to get people moving. Here's the 2 dances for this year:

Basic Beginner:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cZdobILhXAc

Advanced:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lFgHFbZQI5g

I think we had previously discussed over on TWoP the reality show that was filmed for TLC called Ballroom Blitz. I believe it was filmed around 2012. I kept waiting for it to be in the new show lineup for a long time, and I guess they were just sitting on the footage with no real plans for it. Finally! On this Wednesday, November 26 at 1E/12C they'll be playing the Ballroom Blitz marathon.

Each episode will be a different competition:

• Episode 1: Colorado Star Ball
  • Episode 2: Millennium Dancesport Championship
  • Episode 3: Manhattan Dancesport Championship
  • Episode 4: Desert Classic DanceSport Championship
  • Episode 5: Virginia State DanceSport Championship
  • Episode 6: International Grand Ball Championship

IIR, they had trolled some message boards looking for participants. I think some had mentioned as with all reality shows, take it with a grain of salt.

• Love 1

Did anyone catch it? I'm marathoning right now.  And it completely baffles me why so many think just because a man dances ballroom, it must mean he's gay. But, I'll say there were a couple of guys I could not get over the fact they were straight. Andre Paramonov is one. And there was one who was a contestant and lived in Chicago. Robert something.

It was ok but I can see those who have no interest in dance probably wouldn't watch. It was more documentary than a competitive cut-throat reality show.

Even some of the contestants they followed weren't that great. There was the one girl who lost weight for ballroom that had sloppy footwork and seemed heavy on her feet doing the jive. 

I noticed Tony judging the Manhattan competition. And they used the same footage of him twice to make it look like 2 different times, but it was the same clip both times.

Edited by ShaNaeNae

Bummed. I set my dvr when you first posted but my machine has to be turned off to record + I forgot. I missed the 1st four before I realized it wasn't recording. But I did get the last 2 hours. Maybe they'll repeat it soon. The cable channels tend to replay the same shows a lot.  I did like the documentary style for the bit that I've watched so far.

• Love 1

Noooo Uke! I'm so sorry, I hate when that happens! I just checked OnDemand and tlc.com and there's no full episodes. :(

I did find a Facebook page for the show, but that doesn't help much.

I've watched 4, I have left the final 2 (the 2 you got). 

My own fault :(

They'll probably rerun it around Christmas week when everything goes to re-runs. (I hope)

• Love 1

I'm on TLC 90% of the time (except when I watch DWTS, Amazing Race or Survivor). I'll keep an eye out for it and PM you if I see it coming on.

That's very sweet of you. Thank you!

• Love 1