Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E15: The Terror of Horseshoe Bay

• Start Topic

So, Joshua's disappearance wasn't anything supernatural, but he simply survived the electrocution and walked away?  So confused now.

Credit to everyone who called Karen being involved somehow.  It turns out that she was in cahoots with Joshua, and was the one that got the poison out of the police lock-up, for him to use on Ryan, since she also thought he was the one behind Lucy's death.  Loved that Nancy was the only one that questioned her and got her to confessed, while the actual police force just waited outside. I can just picture of them calling McGinnis and asking him if that's kosher, and him being like "How would I know?  And it's not like you no name chumps are going to figure it out.  After-all, the show is named after her!"

The Drew Crew's (with Owen being an honorary member this go around) mission this week is to find Lucy's bones, so they can get physical evidence to exonerate Carson.  Naturally, that involves them having to a ritual to summon a water demon, that involves seaweed, finger cutting, chants, and more.  And when I say more, I mean that apparently the water demon wanted Owen as a sacrifice.  Man, demons are so needy!  And since they broke the ritual before Owen could die, I'm sure water demon is not going to be happy!

Ace once again shows himself to be the most loyal friend on the planet, by drinking the fake poison without hesitation, because he trusted that Nancy was right.  And he was also polite enough to fake the water demon.  Everyone should aspire to be more like Ace! 

Nancy and Owen finally get some "almost got killed by a water demon/almost let you get sacrificed by a water demon" action, I see.  Meanwhile, George and Nick move to the "crashing on your couch, since my living quarters are now a crime scene" phase in their relationship.  Aww!

Bess' kleptomania is still an issue, I see.

Credit to the actor playing Ryan's former roommate, because while the character was your atypical, rich douchebag, he was cracking me up with the way he delivered all of his lines.  Still think Ryan will end up being innocent, and someone got into his email, and set Lucy up.

Granted, I really don't know much about law, but even though it might not completely prove his innocence, I would think having your arresting officer being accused of a crime would be enough for Carson to at least argue you for extra time or to remain under house arrest.  Not sure why he is being so defeatist.

• Love 6

One thing that made no sense was Nick asking what Harbor Day is and Bess explaining it. I'm willing to buy that Bess knows about it because Aunt Diana gave her a long and thorough history of Horseshoe Bay and all of its traditions, but Nick has lived there for a while so wouldn't he already know what it is? It would have made more sense for Bess, who has only been living there a few months, to ask and have one of the others who hav lived there their entire lives explain it to her.

Nancy and Owen talking to Chad was hilariously awful (and of course he was a Chad!).

I appreciate that the other cast members are using at least minimal attempts at ASL when communicating with Ace's dad.

Whoa, Ace gets major points for drinking the water in that vial! Even though Nancy had already said it was only water, that still took some guts.

And somehow after Karen was exposed, the police let Nancy question her alone in the evidence room before anyone put her in handcuffs. That seems normal and by the book!

Poor Nancy - spitting out teeth is one of my worst nightmares. Honestly, that seems worse than regurgitating a seaweed wreath.

• Love 8
3 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Poor Nancy - spitting out teeth is one of my worst nightmares. Honestly, that seems worse than regurgitating a seaweed wreath.

Hell, I would take the spitting out of teeth over a trip to an actual dentist.

• LOL 4
7 hours ago, thuganomics85 said:

Credit to the actor playing Ryan's former roommate, because while the character was your atypical, rich douchebag, he was cracking me up with the way he delivered all of his lines.  Still think Ryan will end up being innocent, and someone got into his email, and set Lucy up.

Oh man, I recognized the actor immediately when I saw him. He was on one of my favourite Canadian shows, Flashpoint, so I enjoyed the little we got of him. 

I'm super happy that, once again, they moved the plot this episode. After them dragging out a lot of the story, them making some progress really makes me happy.

I knew Karen would be involved in something, so at least we got confirmation. I liked how they revealed it, as well. Ace is such an awesome friend for taking the fake poison bullet!

George/Nick are being set up super nicely. I really, really enjoy them together. Nick has also finally earned a place in my top three favourites. His reveal of knowing sign language made me grin. 

Nancy/Owen hooking up doesn't surprise me. Meh, whatever, you two do whatever you need to do. But with Nancy seemingly taking the pay the toll from Owen...that ain't good. 

I'm a bit surprised that Owen was the price for the toll, but I guess he had to earn his way in the Drew Crew one way or another. 

I'll be honest; Bess' plot with the Marvins is actually not super interesting to me. I'm kind of annoyed whenever she dives into some long winded speech about her being a Marvin. I guess it'll be revealed to set up whatever heartbreak that there is when Bess discovers whatever awful stuff they've done. 

• Love 7
50 minutes ago, Lady Calypso said:

Bess' plot with the Marvins is actually not super interesting to me. I'm kind of annoyed whenever she dives into some long winded speech about her being a Marvin. I guess it'll be revealed to set up whatever heartbreak that there is when Bess discovers whatever awful stuff they've done. 

Or that she isn't really a Martin and the family was just taking advantage of her as long as she was useful to them! That would be the soap opera twist, but at this point I think if Diana is introducing her to people in hopes of sweetening business deals, she probably is related to them (if only because Diana wouldn't want to have to explain to people later that Bess wasn't really related to them).

• Love 4
7 hours ago, Lady Calypso said:

Oh man, I recognized the actor immediately when I saw him. He was on one of my favourite Canadian shows, Flashpoint, so I enjoyed the little we got of him. 

And on Whistler! But I hadn't seen him in anything since Flashpoint ended, so glad he got a paycheck. 

6 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Or that she isn't really a Martin and the family was just taking advantage of her as long as she was useful to them! That would be the soap opera twist, but at this point I think if Diana is introducing her to people in hopes of sweetening business deals, she probably is related to them (if only because Diana wouldn't want to have to explain to people later that Bess wasn't really related to them).

All right, I'm going to call a ridiculous plot twist - she's not really a Marvin, but they don't know that 'cause they don't know Owen's also not a Marvin. 

Lucy on the car was the scariest thing ever on this show. Although I won't be surprised if I have nightmares about the seaweed thing.

• Love 3
8 hours ago, Lady Calypso said:

I'm a bit surprised that Owen was the price for the toll, but I guess he had to earn his way in the Drew Crew one way or another. 

The book that describes the method for calling the Aglaeca mentions something about requiring the members of the 6 founding families. Since Owen and "possibly Beth" are members, being from the Martin family, that might be why the Aglaeca never granted any other people in the town wishes also they never used the right number of people and they never used the seaweed wreath and they never gave the blood sacrifice and they didn't use the proper incantation. The Aglaeca probably has a ancient grudge against the Martin family.

Where is the Bess' father?  Acting like she didn't spend the majority of her life with that side of the family. Like she was raised by her mom's rich family.  She just found out yesterday that the DNA matched. Owen pretty much confirmed that the family is not a fairy tale.  Looks like they are doing a slow burn with Ned and George. Unless they kiss next week. I already tired of the back and forth between Owen and Nancy, so I'm glad they at least had sex! I  wanted to see the sea demon. 😟 This why I hate 22 episode  seasons. They have to drag shit out.

Horseshoe Bay does love its weirdly specific and morbid town celebrations and traditions huh? Its all kicking buckets of blood and sea demons around here! 

Ace really is such a great friend, gulping down possible poison because he trusted Nancy, politely thanking the water demon for the skeleton back, what an awesome guy! 

I am still liking the chemistry between George and Nick, but I still feel kind of weird about it, considering Nancy had a thing with Nick and she is friends with both of them, and they all have these mysteries to solve! Nothing worse than love triangles while a ghost is knocking on the door! But now that Nancy has this thing with Owen, that will make things easier?

Lucy popping up on the car is one of her creepiest appearances, that and the creepy backstory and the seaweed and lost teeth that Nancy chocked up is some of the creepiest stuff the show has done. Thats a whole lot of nope! 

I thought that Karen might be hiding something, but holy crap was she! So she was pulling the murder strings and then covered it up? Damn lady, not really nailing that whole serve and protect thing. Wont she feel stupid when she realizes that not only did she accidentally kill an innocent women (who she was supposedly protecting) but the guy she was actually trying to kill probably didnt do what she wants to kill him for! I still dont think Ryan killed Lucy, I am still pretty sure that those messages were sent to Lucy from someone else, and that person is the killer, not Ryan. I also love how they just let Nancy run the interrogation and get the confession, no cops needed here!

The sea curse is some of the most straight up magic stuff the show has done, at least thats unconnected to the ghosts. Not only do we have ghosts running around, but also sea witches? Will the gang have to pay a heavier toll? Will someone get their voice stolen?  

• Love 7

I found the reveal with Karen rather anticlimatic.  I don't think there was any need to have an accomplice tacked on to Tiffany's murder. 

Karen needed a bit more development.  I mean, did she actually like Carson?  Or did she partly blame him for cleaning up after Ryan?  Despite being a friend of Nancy's mother?  It's all very ill-defined.  Wasn't she supposed to be some close family friend who watched Nancy grow up?  

Why would Karen need a refrigerator repair to take the poison and switch it?  Wouldn't it be easy for her to find some other reason to enter the evidence room?  So somehow, Nancy knew the poison would have a convex meniscus?  I don't remember if she saw it in that previous episode or not.

What was the point of mentioning Hannah Gruen if the historical society is just open for anyone to walk in and borrow stuff.  

The supernatural clue gathering of the week was alright.  Not a big fan of Dead Lucy popping up everywhere.

@Camera One, I agree that Karen as a character was not well defined. And I didn't really think she needed to be tacked onto Tiffany's murder either. I suspect (based on nothing) that she was originally slated to be Lucy's surprise killer but then the show was picked up for more episodes and they went a different direction (possibly Owen or Ryan's mother) so then they had to do something with Karen. 

I'm wondering what happened to the police chief. Adam Beach has only been in a handful of episodes and police have featured in just about every episode. We spent most of this episode at the precinct and he still wasn't in the episode. Anyone know why? 

I loved Nick and Ace being all Hardy boys... Something about Nancy is off putting... Her talk with Karen just didnt sit right with me... But then Karen was apparently always meant to be a punching bag... And Owen ugh...