Type keyword(s) to search

S11.E12: Filthy Phil, Part I

Karen introduces Will and Grace to the new love of her life, Phil, but Will and Grace become suspicious that he has sinister intentions; when Miss Coco Peru tells Jack that he's closing down his bar, Estefan encourages Jack to become its new owner.

Original air date: February 27, 2020

It does seem a rather unusually serious plotline for a show like this. I did like when Grace was trying to reference that podcast on Dirty John and it led to her and Will having this exchange, though (may be paraphrasing a bit):

"Remember that podcast we listened to?"

"The one about the journalist who investigated that murder in the South?"

"No, not that one."

"The one about the journalist who investigated that kidnapping in the South?"

"No..."

"The one about the journalist who investigated that kidnapping and murder in the South, who was then kidnapped and murdered?"

• LOL 9
  • Love 3

This plotline makes Karen look extremely desperate and stupid.  They could have had a guy after her money without it being so dark and obvious.

Joel McHale guest-starred on an early season of the show.  He was Grace's date at a showing of Seussical: The Musical when she learned that Will's father was having an affair with Tina after she ran into them at the show.

ETA: Also, Karen just ended things with Jenny's brother--a very nice guy with whom she had hot sex--a few episodes ago because she only wanted a fling.  Now she is moving so fast with someone she barely knows.  I know she is always drunk/high, but this is ridiculous.

Edited by KWalkerInc
Had another thought about Karen's relationship.
  • Useful 1
  • Love 9
4 hours ago, KWalkerInc said:

Joel McHale guest-starred on an early season of the show.  He was Grace's date at a showing of Seussical: The Musical when she learned that Will's father was having an affair with Tina after she ran into them at the show.

Thank you. I had read he had appeared previously as a different character. You've saved me having to watch the episode to discover who he actually was.

Overall a weak episode, but most time Part 1's are. It was nice to see Grace and Karen interacting again, even if at one stage I thought they had stand ins (during the kitchen chat)

I did enjoy Will & Grace looking down at the To Be Continued at the end. I chuckled a little at that.

And I'm guessing I really should know Coco Peru, for them to keep bringing them back like they are someone important. I like them on the show but I really am clueless about the drag scene and confess I really only know RuPaul.

Glad to see the show knows the limitations of Gu Kenworthy's acting unlike American Horror Story.

• LOL 1
  • Love 5

Hated it. They made Karen look stupid and weak when she's always been the opposite. If Karen ever get on her knees and keep eye contact for anyone, it's because *she* wants to and *she* is in control of the situation.

I just hope she gets revenge next week to make up for the awfulness of part one.

• Love 6

I was hoping for a reveal that Karen had Phil's number and was playing along so she could enjoy his dismay when she gets tired of sex with him and kicks him to the curb (perhaps into the NYPD's loving arms) But the end of the episode makes that extremely unlikely.

• Love 5

The bar was never a plot point in the original series, right?

No, but Coco appeared at least once in the original series. It was a Thanksgiving episode.

Well, at least we finally had Grace and Karen interacting in the same scene again. Nice to see the actresses put on their big girl pants and be professionals. 

I only ever see Joel McHale playing a creep. I never buy him as a nice guy.

• Love 6
2 hours ago, iMonrey said:

No, but Coco appeared at least once in the original series. It was a Thanksgiving episode.

Well, at least we finally had Grace and Karen interacting in the same scene again. Nice to see the actresses put on their big girl pants and be professionals. 

Have you watched community? He was a decent guy on that 🙂 After awhile of just being smarmy.

• Love 3

I love Joel McHale and he needs to be a series regular on another show. However, this episode was pretty dumb. I could see this story happening with Grace, but definitely not with Karen. Jack buying the bar plotline was pretty lame too.

• Love 3
On 2/28/2020 at 12:35 PM, iMonrey said:

On 2/28/2020 at 3:05 PM, Aileen said:

Have you watched community? He was a decent guy on that 🙂 After awhile of just being smarmy.

He was a decent guy on the short-lived series The Great Indoors too. I liked that show and was bummed when it got cancelled. 

I hope the Karen/Phil situation is resolved very satisfactorily. I like the idea of Jack buying the bar. And I've really enjoyed Estefan the last few episodes, he's seems more real.

• Love 3

Totally agree with the above comment about the kitchen chat. Upon re-watching it, it's pretty clear that the two actresses were not onstage together. When they would cut to a back view of full-body Karen and then a closer up of her face, she was never in the same spot.

• Useful 3
  • Love 2
(edited)
On 2/28/2020 at 8:08 AM, Snow Apple said:

Hated it. They made Karen look stupid and weak when she's always been the opposite. If Karen ever get on her knees and keep eye contact for anyone, it's because *she* wants to and *she* is in control of the situation.

On 2/29/2020 at 5:33 PM, juliet73 said:

I love Joel McHale and he needs to be a series regular on another show. However, this episode was pretty dumb. I could see this story happening with Grace, but definitely not with Karen. Jack buying the bar plotline was pretty lame too.

The funny thing is, I'm rewatching the end of Season 6, and it's almost the same storyline.  Karen gives up a bunch of things she wants and a lot of her personality for Lyle Finster.  It gets to be so bad that immediately after they get married, she wants a divorce.

When Lyle is doing his wedding toast, he lists about 8 things she did for him that she didn't want to do.  She gave up her last name, she gave up the song she wanted to walk down the aisle to, she got married in Vegas, and she went through with the wedding even though Grace couldn't make it.  (And more).  All things she didn't want to do but Lyle made her.

Edit, Oop, and now I'm watching a season 7 episode where Will Arnett guest stars and he plays a dancer that scams Karen into doing something for him and then immediately drops her.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2