Type keyword(s) to search

Extreme Makeover - General Discussion

• Start Topic

The sad thing I can't stop thinking about is how many people on the original mortgaged houses, and went into foreclosure, or had other bad outcomes.   I'm not sure giving people a huge house, with huge property tax, and utility bills is a great idea.    It might be good TV to give the kids the specific theme rooms they want, but when they get a little older, their taste will change, and some of the makeovers just weren't practical.    I hope they research the back story on applicants much more thoroughly this time around too.  

• Love 3
1 hour ago, DVDFreaker said:

Can we bring Ty Pennington back? I am not impressed with the new host, he looks like he is suited to be a comedian, I enjoyed the original, the reboot is not too bad 

Well he is on Modern Family do whether or not he is funny is up for debate but I enjoy him.

• Love 2

I’m glad that the manic energy and ego of the former hosts and designers are gone. At least with this first episode it appears they are designing for real life and not an impractical themed room.  I’ve seen Jessie Ferguson on interview shows and he is a charming interviewer and interviewee.  His role is most likely as the liaison/ point person with the family and the volunteers.  Those originally houses were overbuilt show pieces and impractical to live in   It would appear that these new ones are being built smart.  Property taxes are what they are.. 

Edited by kb3
  • Love 2

11 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

The sad thing I can't stop thinking about is how many people on the original mortgaged houses, and went into foreclosure, or had other bad outcomes.   I'm not sure giving people a huge house, with huge property tax, and utility bills is a great idea.    It might be good TV to give the kids the specific theme rooms they want, but when they get a little older, their taste will change, and some of the makeovers just weren't practical.    I hope they research the back story on applicants much more thoroughly this time around too.  

I am worried about this as well. I think, and I could be misremembering, but in the original that during the first season or so they built more practical sized houses. Then somewhere in there they started to build ridiculous sized houses for families and added the horribly themed bedrooms for kids. I hope this version is a bit more practical, but who knows.

I did not mind the first episode. I liked Jesse Tyler Ferguson and the designers. The house was bigger but did not seem that over the top. I do hope that they are keeping in mind what the family can actually afford.

I found it interesting, the house looked like new area development and the surrounding neighbors are all 1 story old Bakersfield.  Wonder if they want to convert more of the area and going to use this as the model home of what your house could be.

A lot more advertising and product placement than original. 

I liked the wallpaper, but I probably would not use as much either. I liked that their house was a good size, but not over the top huge. I think I would like to see more of the floor plans, because I like to see how everything is laid out more. Was there only one bathroom upstairs? They seemed to make a big deal over the three girls seeing it and when designing it the designer made it seem like it was their bathroom. I am guessing there was a powder room/bathroom on the main level.

• Love 1
42 minutes ago, Misslindsey said:

I liked the wallpaper, but I probably would not use as much either. I liked that their house was a good size, but not over the top huge. I think I would like to see more of the floor plans, because I like to see how everything is laid out more. Was there only one bathroom upstairs? They seemed to make a big deal over the three girls seeing it and when designing it the designer made it seem like it was their bathroom. I am guessing there was a powder room/bathroom on the main level.

I think they said there was 2 and 1/4 baths in the house.. and I have never heard of 1/4 bath before so I have no idea what that means. I always thought powder rooms/bathrooms with a toilet+sink were "half baths". 

• Love 1
5 minutes ago, HighHopes said:

I think they said there was 2 and 1/4 baths in the house.. and I have never heard of 1/4 bath before so I have no idea what that means. I always thought powder rooms/bathrooms with a toilet+sink were "half baths". 

Thanks for the info. I just googled 1/4 bath and it said it was just a toilet. 

1 hour ago, PRgal said:

Double toilet and a sink?  That's weird though.

No, it needs to have a toilet and sick to be a bathroom legally in most states. A toilet alone cannot be called a bathroom. Just as often a room that doesn't have a closet or proper window can't be called a bedroom. 

26 minutes ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

I've heard of a 1/4 bath consisting of an extra vanity sink, no toilet.    A toilet without a sink is nasty. 

But then many homes with “his and hers” sinks in the master would have that extra 1/4!  

They didn’t own a home, and still don’t? The city donated the land for as long as they want to live there? How does property tax get figured out?

I’m really hating the product placement in this show. “Hand me that name brand paint.” “Let’s bring in the Best Buy expert, who’s sitting near the Wayfair box.” 

• Love 1
12 hours ago, buttersister said:

But then, what is HGTV if not product placement for real estate and remodeling, brought to you by realtors, Lowe’s, Home Depot, etc.?

Product placement has gotten so in-your-face that if a Wayfair box that I hadn't ordered showed up on my porch I'd call the bomb squad.

• LOL 2
(edited)

The Holtzclaw family got a beautiful house and their blue appliances looks really cool, I am surprised to see Tygert Pennington returning in next episode, I did not think he would return, it will be good to see him again so I am looking forward to that

Edited by DVDFreaker
On 2/23/2020 at 9:08 PM, HighHopes said:

I think it means 1 full bath plus a 3/4 bath (without a tub, shower only) plus a 1/2 bath/powder room.

• Love 1

I hated the see through window cabinets more than I hate moat things. They are going to be super annoying to keep clean on two sides just what a family is that has a lot going on needs and they will cost a fair bit to replace if they hate them as much as I do.

I liked this family and the house they ended up with.  Nothing was terribly over the top, but was made to meet his physical needs.  They seemed to be hard working, deserving people.  The only things I didn't like were the window/cabinets and the appliances; I think I'd get tired of them pretty quickly.