Type keyword(s) to search

S13.E07: Head Spin

thewhiteowl
  • Start Topic

10 hours ago, boochay8888 said:

Am I crazy? Did they announce this “pardon” at the beginning of the season? What a fricken cop out!!! Ugh!

I think every judge has the ability to pardon one contestant and yes, I think it was announced at the start of the season.

Besides, let's face it, leaving Jordi as the only South contestant was a losing proposition.  

• Love 4

I vaguely remember the mention of a pardon.  Do all 3 get one?  I really thought Raul would go home because there's no way they were going to leave the South with 1 person.  I'm really expecting someone from team West to go home next week or for them to eventually get rid of teams and go to individual.  There are 12 left now, so maybe at 10 or 8.  I really thought they'd take down to 1 member from each region and then battle it out that way.  It may still happen.  Some of those tattoos were awful.  I cringe at how people sign up to get whatever crazy thing put anywhere on their body.  

• Like 1
  • Love 4

I thought that there was just one pardon, but having three would make the double eliminations (the first ep with the self-elimination and the actual double) make more sense.  However, I had forgotten about the pardon and thought our long, national ink nightmare was over.

Winner of the week for me was Jimmy Snaz' pants.  I haven't seen the likes of that since prime Dwight Yoakam.

• LOL 4
  • Love 3
5 hours ago, zoltana said:

Some of those tattoos were awful.  I cringe at how people sign up to get whatever crazy thing put anywhere on their body.  

I've noticed this year that we've got a lot more leg tattoos than in the past.  It took some time, but people have finally wised up and gotten their tattoos in a place they can hide if necessary.  Only Jimmy's canvas was brave enough to have it on his arm, I wonder if that decision was made when he found out that the AmTrad artist would be the one doing his AmTrad tattoo.

Sorry for the double post, I can never figure out how to add a quote to an edited post.

• Love 2

Jason isn't my favorite, but he's done some really cool things this season. His "I'm going to make an insane design because f-you" attitude has produced a lot of this season's better tattoos. I'm glad he was pardoned. 

Respect in general to Jimmy and Jason for stepping up. Also respect to Raul for knowing that he was the weak link but stepping up to the plate anyways and doing enough to stay against two of the competition's best. 

I think the second half of this season is shaping up to be very competitive. There's no real frontrunner in my opinion and I think the placing of the final 6/7 artists will be very much up for grabs when we get to that point. 

• Love 6

I never would’ve guessed this in his original season, but I really really like Jimmy and am hoping he wins (or at the very least makes it to the end). He’s no drama, he’s supportive of his team members, and he genuinely seems like a nice guy. So many people make themselves look worse when they come back; he’s the rare exception where he improved my initial impression of him. 

I would actually love if the entire East team made it to the finale, but I know that’s not gonna happen. But the East team that is left is one of the most cohesive teams that I think has happened in this format. And it’s emblematic of what I’d prefer to see on Ink Master — people who like and respect each other and just want to make good tattoos. 

• Like 1
  • Love 16
1 hour ago, Princess Sparkle said:

it’s emblematic of what I’d prefer to see on Ink Master — people who like and respect each other and just want to make good tattoos. 

Agreed here wholeheartedly... if only the producers thought that as well instead of defaulting to realitee teevee drahmahs instead.

• Love 7
On 2/18/2020 at 8:06 PM, boochay8888 said:

Am I crazy? Did they announce this “pardon” at the beginning of the season? What a fricken cop out!!! Ugh!

They announced it in the first episode.

There was a reminder in last week's episode, which caught me by surprise when Jordan was really, really eliminated and not saved, since I figured planting it early in the episode (when they go over the deadly boring '"and a feature in Inked magazine" and everyone reacts like it's the first time they're hearing' it part) meant it would finally be used. Like on a drama TV show when some random scene from seven episodes ago shows up on the "previously on" so you know it'll be brought up again.

So I wasn't caught off guard this week when it finally got used.

Edited by Charlesman
16 hours ago, 2727 said:

Don't you mean Snaz Daddy?

He's a bad bitch!

I really liked Jimmy in his season, but he wasn't my favorite.  But I loved him on Grudge Match and it's only grown from there.  He's so much better without his brother creating problems.

One of the best things about him is how he treats the women on his team with respect, but also as equals.

@Charlesman, so they announced it to the teams or just in the voiceover?  Did they say that each judge got one or just one overall?   (I generally ff through the previews and don't pay attention to all of the beginning blather until they announce the day's ask.

If they know about the pardon, I guess that was why Jason was so gracious about being eliminated.  He probably figured that he'd get saved.

Edited by Sile
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, Sile said:

@Charlesman, so they announced it to the teams or just in the voiceover?  Did they say that each judge got one or just one overall?   (I generally ff through the previews and don't pay attention to all of the beginning blather until they announce the day's ask.

If they know about the pardon, I guess that was why Jason was so gracious about being eliminated.  He probably figured that he'd get saved.

Both times I remember hearing it, in the first episode of this season, and in the episode before this one, I feel it was part of Dave's spiel about what the season was about before the first flash challenge. Like: "You can win a hundred thousand dollars, a feature in Inked magazine, plus, the title of 'Ink Master'. And this season, there's a twist: each judge will be able to pardon one player from elimination if he thinks that person deserves another shot."

I am not sure if it was in any prior episodes, as I also FF through all the trash talk in the dorms and only stop when the challenge is introduced. And I hate that every episode they explain what they're playing for and have those stupid reaction shots from the contestants acting like they've never heard that before. It's like when ESPN kept explaining the rules of poker a dozen episodes into the WSOP. Probst doesn't mention the Sole Survivor prize before every Reward Challenge, but, for whatever reason, thirteen years into it, this show thinks we're all idiots. 

Edited by Charlesman
  • Love 2

Fired up the reruns. It was in episode 2 when the pardon was first announced:

After the flash challenge, they all assembled in the big room to announce the elimination tattoo, the Compass Rose. Dave first informed them that there would be a Jury of Peers this season, formed by the team with the tattoo of the day plus one other team of their choice. Then they went over the Compass Rose challenge. Nunez gave some advice on fundamentals. 

Then, Dave said: "There is one more thing that you should know. For the first time ever (cut over to the peanut gallery where Jason says "that's scary..." and Patrick agrees) each judge will have the power to pardon one artist, saving them from elimination. If an artist receives a pardon, they will immediately re-enter the competition."

Nunez then said: "Many seasons past, we've seen people leave on a technicality. We now have the power to show up and stop that elimination while you're packing your gear."

• Love 1

We've all seen artists who were eliminated that we knew that they shouldn't have been, sometimes due to a client walking out or not sitting well, not to mention that in this case the artist shouldn't have even been competing but instead stepped up for the good of his team.  Although he's one of my least favorite people on the show I still think he's a better artist than several of the remaining tattoo-ers.

• Love 1

Jason is my favorite so I was pretty bummed out when he was sent home. I think his team should have been safe, their tattoos were awesome and really cool so the unfairness of it all was disappointing. I´m so glad he got pardoned, and count me in as someone who had no idea there was a pardon. I just thought that perhaps sending Jason, the most talented and interesting guy there, home so early seemed a bit much, even for a show where the judging is very random, so I did have a tiny bit of hope that somehow a decision like that would be made. It´s good that it was a possibility from the start.

• Love 2

I'm so shallow and am incredibly attracted to Jimmy for some reason so I hope he wins based entirely on that. I won't call him Snaz Daddy, though. Well, okay, maybe if he asks nicely and wears the America pants. I am a man and probably not his type however, alas.

I really don't like Jason and I knew they'd save him. Goddammit.

• LOL 2
  • Love 2
On 2/24/2020 at 11:00 PM, belligerent said:

I'm so shallow and am incredibly attracted to Jimmy for some reason so I hope he wins based entirely on that. I won't call him Snaz Daddy, though. Well, okay, maybe if he asks nicely and wears the America pants. I am a man and probably not his type however, alas.

I really don't like Jason and I knew they'd save him. Goddammit.

Hey!  I already called dibs on Jimmy Pantz upthread...