Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E07: Acting Dean

The problem with encountering numerous alternate timeline characters is that it reminds the audience there should be other Quentins out there, too. I mean, they killed off Penny and we immediately got another Penny. They killed off Marina and we got another Marina. But they kill off Quentin and we never see him again? That's some grade A bullshit right there. 

{still bitter}

Anyway this was a pretty good episode, qualms aside. Double the Todd means double the funny. Strange everyone in timeline 17 got killed . . . except Todd. 

• Love 8
4 hours ago, iMonrey said:

Strange everyone in timeline 17 got killed . . . except Todd. 

You mean Elliot. 😜 (the other one, that is)

Wouldn't gold-pooping beetles just end up devaluing the currency? Of course, the Dark Lord was restricting the money supply by turning gold into Takers, or at least using it as fertilizer, but somebody needs to put Fillory on a solid, sensible economic footing when this whole situation is resolved.

• Love 1
7 hours ago, iMonrey said:

The problem with encountering numerous alternate timeline characters is that it reminds the audience there should be other Quentins out there, too. I mean, they killed off Penny and we immediately got another Penny. They killed off Marina and we got another Marina. But they kill off Quentin and we never see him again? That's some grade A bullshit right there.

Yep that is indeed the issue

But I thought Jane reset the timeline whenever Quentin died.  So there are no live Quentins in any timeline.  But I suppose there could be other live versions of the other characters.

So now we know for sure the dark king is bad.

• Love 3

At first I thought the Dark Lord was just throwing the gold onto the ground and I thought sheesh, so wasteful! Just like a rich person to literally throw away money (I figured this was the version used before paper money and toilets). Then the zombie mercenaries started crawling out of the ground and I did a Jim Halpert YIKES!

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo

I lost it when Todd started singing over the closing credits. Love that his first name actually being Eliot came back around.

Love Charlton being the literal voice in Eliot's head. The actor amuses me and he and Hale play well off of each other.

• Love 4

But I thought Jane reset the timeline whenever Quentin died.  So there are no live Quentins in any timeline.  But I suppose there could be other live versions of the other characters.

No, Jane Chatwin reset time when the group, as a whole, failed to defeat The Beast. In most cases, all of them died. In some cases, only some of them died (for example, Penny 23 obviously did not die in that attempt). We saw one timeline where Quentin himself became the beast. So yeah, there's gotta be at least a few timelines where Quentin survived. 

• Love 2

I hate Julia. I miss Quentin.

Otherwise this was a good episode, Margo and Elliot in Fillory with the fairies in particular. I can't say the "twist" of the Dark King being responsible for the Takers was much of a twist since he is the only one who can banish them back from whence they came. Kind of worked that out from day 1. 

• Love 1
19 hours ago, iMonrey said:

We saw one timeline where Quentin himself became the beast. So yeah, there's gotta be at least a few timelines where Quentin survived. 

Quentin died in that timeline as well though, Alice brought him back only after talking to our Quentin.

On 2/20/2020 at 12:10 PM, iMonrey said:

{still bitter}

Anyway this was a pretty good episode, qualms aside. Double the Todd means double the funny. Strange everyone in timeline 17 got killed . . . except Todd. 

Yup.

This is the second episode in a row where I laughed at an exploding character. I may have a problem. 😆

I am intrigued by the new botany professor. Plus they let Alice be useful, so good for her. 

Margo and Eliot continue to be awesome. I loved Margo's assertion that she had been there the entire time. Also, poor Eliot. You do deserve better. By better I mean Quentin. 😭

Fuck Penny 23. Penny was one of my favorite characters and then we got new Penny and I can't stand him. They can try to convince us that he hasn't replaced his Julia all they want, but he certainly doesn't seem to like or respect this Julia. Oh, you want to settle down? That is . . . Never whar Julia has expressed she wanted. Oh, your feelings are hurt so you are gonna lash out about mourning her best friend? And then whine that she is doing something meaningful because another Julia died and all that matters are your feelings? Seriously, fuck off. If I press the big red button, can an alternate Penny come?

1 hour ago, The Companion said:

Seriously, fuck off. If I press the big red button, can an alternate Penny come?

Absolutely no clue why they didn't capitalise on their setup for the other Penny. They were clearly angling for something there but seem to have jettisoned it completely. And it's not as if they couldn't get the actor or something (which is one reason why they ditch plotlines in TV). I can only assume it got dropped when they came up with the brilliant edgy move to kill off the heart of their show.

I agree with you about this Penny. He's definitely the inferior version.

Edited by AudienceofOne
  • Love 1
On 2/26/2020 at 7:59 PM, The Companion said:

Fuck Penny 23. Penny was one of my favorite characters and then we got new Penny and I can't stand him. They can try to convince us that he hasn't replaced his Julia all they want, but he certainly doesn't seem to like or respect this Julia. Oh, you want to settle down? That is . . . Never whar Julia has expressed she wanted. Oh, your feelings are hurt so you are gonna lash out about mourning her best friend? And then whine that she is doing something meaningful because another Julia died and all that matters are your feelings? Seriously, fuck off. If I press the big red button, can an alternate Penny come?

Yeah, this episode made it so clear that Penny23 just does not understand this Julia at all. Except for the time that she spent without her shade, she has always wanted to use her magic to help. It's a fundamental character trait of hers, not something that she's temporarily doing because her best friend died and she's grieving. If anything, I would say her grief over Quentin had the opposite effect in that it sidetracked her for a time. I'm glad she broke up with Penny. I never understood why the writers even went in the direction of Julia/Penny to begin with. They didn't have much chemistry and it came at the expense of two better relationships, Kady/Penny (who did have chemistry) and Kady/Julia's friendship, which also had the result of islanding a good character in Kady since those were her two main people in the group.

• Love 2