Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E16: She Works Hard for the Money

OnceSane
  • Start Topic

Alicia gets a bonus after winning a big case and wants to buy a nice car, but having been raised on the “fifty-cent principal,” Denise wants her to buy two cars in lesser condition so she can have one. Meanwhile, Paul tries to teach Rainbow, Johan and Santamonica about the value of money.

Airs February 18, 2020.

The one thing that annoyed me in this episode was when Dee Dee told Alicia that she was going to keep asking for stuff but she wouldn't get mad if Alicia said no. How about you just stop asking for stuff instead of putting the onus on your sister to say no? I know, I know, I am taking this too seriously but still.

I miss when we don't see the kids at school. I like seeing their interaction with other kids.

• Love 11

I have a hard time believing the only 2 cars on the lot for $5000 each were the cherry one that Dee Dee got and the lemon Alicia got. Even now you can get a car that isn't THAT bad for $5000. 

I do like some of the history lessons they give. I feel like I'm learning something from those that I wouldn't necessarily have realized or thought about. 

• Love 7
10 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

The one thing that annoyed me in this episode was when Dee Dee told Alicia that she was going to keep asking for stuff but she wouldn't get mad if Alicia said no. How about you just stop asking for stuff instead of putting the onus on your sister to say no? I know, I know, I am taking this too seriously but still.

I miss when we don't see the kids at school. I like seeing their interaction with other kids.

I am with you about Dee Dee. She's that relative that you don't let know you have money. 

• LOL 4
  • Love 8

I like Dee Dee, but she isnt exactly a person who screams fiscal responsibility. Its great to want to help your family, but you also cant just keep handing out money when people wont be responsible with it.

I love that I keep hearing 9-5 on TV lately, I always forget how much I love that song until I hear it! 

• Love 2

I've had to spazz on some ppl who showed up in new threads after I gave them substantial financial assistance

Im Filipino sir... 

I'm Harrison I have a Ferrari 

How  else will ppl know I'm a capable lover? 

First White Hypeman... Here comes the petty

• LOL 1
  • Love 2

Were Barbie Dream Houses still a big thing in the 80s?

I'm with the kids. What kind of sense does it make to have to work for money they already had? Getting paid for doing chores and having to save up for things should've been a separate lesson. That's like if I put money in the bank and they make me work to withdraw any of it. As it is I have drive around to find an ATM. 😉

Bow's sister is probably a practitioner of the "crabs in a bucket" mentality.

Lol, Paul actually said, "If you don't know, now you know." He was doing some slight little neck rolls too. I think M-PG puts just the right touches on his depiction of Paul with looking like he's appropriating Black culture.

Edited by Joimiaroxeu
  • Love 7
6 hours ago, UNOSEZ said:

I've had to spazz on some ppl who showed up in new threads after I gave them substantial financial assistance

Don’t even get me started...LOL! I’ve given money to people who were supposedly in dire financial straits only to have them post pictures of themselves vacationing on social media! So yeah I’m really reluctant to help people out.   

19 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

I like Dee Dee, but she isnt exactly a person who screams fiscal responsibility. Its great to want to help your family, but you also cant just keep handing out money when people wont be responsible with it.

THIS! At some point you have to cut people off and stop letting people guilt trip you into always thinking you have to help them. Unfortunately, I had to learn that lesson the hard way.

Duck Hunt and Super Mario Brothers...Classic!

Edited by woodstock
  • Love 5
8 hours ago, UNOSEZ said:

Im Filipino sir... 

I'm Harrison I have a Ferrari 

How  else will ppl know I'm a capable lover? 

First White Hypeman... Here comes the petty

I just love the way they've written Harrison (and obviously how Gary Cole is playing him.) He says and does completely obnoxious things, but then when it counts, he knows what is important, like last week, when he sat Santamonica down and told her it wasn't cool to laugh at her brother in public. He dotes on the kids and Alicia. 

Every character on the show has a good heart (even DeeDee's greediness can be explained as a byproduct of her childhood), and it's just nice to watch a show where people aren't jerks. 

MPG continues to rock it, and his scenes with the kids are always great. I really enjoy seeing him all grown up with tv kids about the age he was when he started on SBTB. 

• Love 11

I'm with the kids. What kind of sense does it make to have to work for money they already had?

Right. Paul and Alicia just need to have a talk with Harrison about throwing money at the kids. Trouble is, they haven't figured out their own attitudes toward money; Alicia's still carrying around her youthful assumptions, and Paul's overcompensating against his.

He dotes on the kids and Alicia. 

When Harrison kept calling Alicia "son" I first thought he meant, "Son, you picked a great wife." And while the declaration was played for comedy, there's no doubt that he loves Johan.

Too bad he didn't have the presence of mind to say, "Dammit, Alicia! When your Ferrari's in the shop, get a decent loaner!"

• Love 3
On 2/19/2020 at 9:17 AM, joanne3482 said:

I have a hard time believing the only 2 cars on the lot for $5000 each were the cherry one that Dee Dee got and the lemon Alicia got. Even now you can get a car that isn't THAT bad for $5000. 

I do like some of the history lessons they give. I feel like I'm learning something from those that I wouldn't necessarily have realized or thought about. 

In 198? you could get a fine used car for $5,000. That was bullshit.

• Love 2