Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E13: Titanic Love

ohjoy

Wow

Can't believe no one has commented on this episode yet.

What's gonna happen now that Lainey knows? Are they gonna string the love triangle along for a while? Will Lainey and Barry break up so that she can be with CB? I never bought the whole Lainey/Barry thing anyway. No way she would be so head over heels in love with such a loud, obnoxious idiot. 

• Love 8

I figure them using this love triangle for maybe like the rest of this series or as long as possible over the course of the show. How effective that would be for viewership.

I think they might develop this thing with them a little, showing us how this affects their relationship dynamic, then eventually link Lainey with CB. After that, maybe L.B. will hit some sort of ship-sinker and tank. Maybe they'll explore with L.B. and go back and forth with the two rival pairings. That would be horrible, but that would also be a great way to keep people watching I think.

Or possibly they might let us have the easiest, most merciful, happy-ending ever and put L.B. together and never ever ever ever subject them to any kind of problems or complications or disappointments or anything and they just hit it off and live happily ever after

Sometimes it's nice to let yourself dream.

9 hours ago, Aryanna said:

I never bought the whole Lainey/Barry thing anyway. No way she would be so head over heels in love with such a loud, obnoxious idiot. 

Mr. Lily and I were saying the same thing, too. Even though he's supposed to be more together now what with being in medical school and everything, he still seemed like the same over-the-top tool the few times he's turned up on the show. I'd pick CB over Barry any day.

• Love 5
16 hours ago, Aryanna said:

What's gonna happen now that Lainey knows? Are they gonna string the love triangle along for a while? 

My guess is that they're going to continue to string it along, considering that CB has made the decision to "move on".  Everyone knows it's better to keep the sexual tension going as long as you can.  They might even reverse it, with CB moving on and Lainey developing feelings for him. 

When I was watching, I thought Lainey's "realization" about CB was going to be that he and Wilma belonged together.  I guess if they were finally going to reveal CB's crush, it's appropriate that it was tied in with the Titanic movie.

I liked Mellor and Glasscot's pep talks, and the different stages involved.  

At the end they showed the actual scores in the Penn Charter-Germantown rivalry.  I noticed the 1889 game ended in a 4-4 tie.  Was that four safeties, or have they changed the way football is scored since those days?

Edited by rmontro
  • Love 1

I hate that they got Lainey and Barry back together, we know they don’t end up together and since he only appears a few times it makes Lainey’s romantic life seem stagnant. There are plenty of examples, particularly on ensemble shows, where getting characters together strengthens the show. These stupid live triangles and obstacles are just lazy storytelling. 

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, rmontro said:

noticed the 1989 game ended in a 4-4 tie.  W

1989 ended 7-0. It was the 1889 game that ended in a 4-4 tie and I don’t know the specifics but the rules were a lot different. Ask than and more like rugby and soccer.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, biakbiak said:

1989 ended 7-0. It was the 1889 game that ended in a 4-4 tie and I don’t know the specifics but the rules were a lot different. 

Sorry, I meant 1889.  I fixed it with it an edit.

Anyway,  looking at some of the other scores from that time, it's quite a hodgepodge.  Some look like "normal" football scores, some don't.  For instance, from 1887 to 1891 the scores were 20-6, 37-8, 4-4, 6-4, and 70-0. 

What a coincidence that Adam Goldberg went to the school with the longest rivalry in football.  Seems like some of his shows just write themselves.

This episode only highlighted the far superior chemistry between CB and Wilma - "You wanna go out?" "Nah"  "You have a problem" "Sure do!" and actually convinced me that a CB/Wilma romance would be much more entertaining than CB/Lainey, who act like middle schoolers together. So....I'm supposed to find CB/Wilma ridiculous...because why? She's a little older or too intense for him? I don't get it. She had no problem lusting after Johnny Atkins (hilarious) who's about CB's age and not exactly known for his wit.

Prayer circle that this love realization finally phases out Barry. The door argument was funny and very familiar.

Mellor plots always deliver. 

• Love 3

I'm so tired of the Lainey/Barry romance. Didn't buy it on The Goldbergs, don't buy it now. I somehow thought her realization was that she had feelings for CB. I'm sure if she does fall for him, it will be once he falls for someone else.

• Love 3
12 hours ago, Shorty186 said:

I'm sure if she does fall for him, it will be once he falls for someone else.

A blind caveman who was just discovered in the Antarctic and thawed out to watch this episode can see that coming. lol I really wish they would go a different route. I could care less if stick with lainey and Barry (so long as he doesn't keep showing up. I'm so over that character) because I am not all that invested in Lainey.

I do adore CB though. He has really grown on me so I want better for him than Lainey. I would not say no to him and Wilma, or Wilma and Mellor, or a Brother Husbands situation with Wilma, CB and Mellor. 

Somehow Wilma snuck in there and became one of my favorite characters. The actress is just so much fun in the role. 

I just feel like Lainey/CB is so predictable it's boring. They make nice friends and I would love to see CB get over Lainey and them just be friends, it would be refreshing. 

• Love 3

On 2/2/2020 at 11:48 AM, Mabinogia said:

I do adore CB though. He has really grown on me so I want better for him than Lainey. I would not say no to him and Wilma, or Wilma and Mellor, or a Brother Husbands situation with Wilma, CB and Mellor. 

Please TV gods, I would love for this to happen! In our dreams though LOL. Single Parents actually just introduced a m/f/m throuple situation with one of their characters so there’s hope for us yet! As much as I enjoy Mellor with Julie, she’s a side character who exists to be his girlfriend, so I feel like his natural chemistry with everyone else or the excitement of him doing a slow burn with Wilma or even Lainey is squandered a bit. 

The problem with Lainey is, like Barry, she’s immature and kind of insufferable, but the writers believe they’re writing her as quirky and relatable, so she will never grow as a person because what makes her character suck is also her only comedic value in their eyes. I wish so many writers didn’t rely on making their characters oblivious and obnoxious to be funny.

Somehow Wilma snuck in there and became one of my favorite characters. The actress is just so much fun in the role.  

Totally agree and I feel the same way about Mellor too.  Both Wilma’s actress and Mellor’s actor bring such heart and fun banter to their roles, which is why they also have ridiculous off the charts chemistry with everyone. You could pretty much pair either of them with any other character and tell me if they were dating and I would believe it. I can’t really describe it because it’s not like either of them have traditional sex appeal but they are so quick witted with all their scene partners that it can easily translate to perceived flirtation. Basically what I’m saying is I have a gigantic crush on both of them. 

I just feel like Lainey/CB is so predictable it's boring. They make nice friends and I would love to see CB get over Lainey and them just be friends, it would be refreshing. 

I agree and they both make each other really immature and annoying so I feel like them going through sexual tension with each other is just bringing out the most undesirable parts of both of them. But alas, they are the designated young and sexy leads, so we are obligated to watch them develop a forced romance.

• Love 1

I just feel like Lainey/CB is so predictable it's boring. 

The problem is Mellor and Glascott are probably the best part of the show.  With Wilma coming up on the outside.  CB is likable.  Lainey is okay, but considering she's the lead she's not all that interesting.  Having Barry show up only makes it worse.

• Love 4
6 hours ago, SnarkEnthusiast said:

Totally agree and I feel the same way about Mellor too.  Both Wilma’s actress and Mellor’s actor bring such heart and fun banter to their roles, which is why they also have ridiculous off the charts chemistry with everyone. You could pretty much pair either of them with any other character and tell me if they were dating and I would believe it. I can’t really describe it because it’s not like either of them have traditional sex appeal but they are so quick witted with all their scene partners that it can easily translate to perceived flirtation. Basically what I’m saying is I have a gigantic crush on both of them. 

You just nailed why I love them both. They are both fairly over the top characters but both actors play those characters with so much heart that it works. I would kill to have a game night with those two. They are both super competitive, quick witted and fun.

I would make room on my floating door for them both and Glascott, if there's room, which Wilma indicated there should be, so come on board Glascott, and even CB. He's skinny, he'll probably fit.

Lainey, sorry, she can sink for all I care. 😞 I don't dislike her as such, I just don't particularly like her either. She's just sort of there. 

• Love 3

Mellor popping up “who touched the trophy?” killed me.

Wilma’s blazer and coral top she wore on her date with CB are fabulous and it’s mystifying that they’re not in my closet right this second.

• Love 2