Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E03: I'm a Hand Model

• Start Topic

With Avenue 5 staff slacking in their customer service, Ryan offers Karen the opportunity to channel her unique talent for speaking the passengers’ language. Judd outlines the plan for a rescue mission and tasks Iris with organizing a vigil on Earth to raise the money to fund it. Rav endures a barrage of messages from the ship and handles an unruly press conference.

Airing Sunday, February 2, 2020.

Guess the episode was released early because of the big game tomorrow.

Seems to me like someone wanted to make a series about the Karen phenomenon but couldn't make it work on just that issue. So they added all this other stuff like polyamorous British actor playing a captain with a fake American accent, so-called crisis actors, the entire crew is actors, it's all actors, all the time! Meta!

4 hours ago, DoctorAtomic said:

The last scene in the bridge was seriously funny. 

Agree!  

I just watched these first 3 episodes.  Really looking forward to the rest.  So glad I saw Hugh Laurie on Graham Norton and learned of this show there.  Somehow I missed anything about it beforehand.  

2 hours ago, aquarian1 said:

I just watched these first 3 episodes.  Really looking forward to the rest.

I think episode is the tipping point - if you're not into it now, you're probably not going to be and flip that. 90 minutes in, they've done a good enough job with the characters, and ending with the reveal seems like the right time.

It was a good choice to give Karen an actual job because her being a busybody wasn't going to really work. I think the dialogue can be off putting if you're not buying into the absurdist concept of the show. Billie is shaping up to be the most palatable character. Her patent disdain is practically charming compared to everyone else.

• Like 1
  • Love 3

Uggh, yet another poorly written humorless episode.  I didn't think the bridge bit was funny at all.  Would the captain really be that surprised that he wasn't the only fake on the bridge ? Really ?

The bickering Bickersons can join Judd in the orbiting graveyard. They all need to shut the hell up.  Heck, even the orbiting graveyard is just plain stupid.

At least we didn't get a gravity shift for the first time in 3 episodes.

• Love 2

Seems to me like someone wanted to make a series about the Karen phenomenon but couldn't make it work on just that issue.

I wasn't aware of the "Karen phenomenon" until you mentioned it and I Googled it. I think you might be onto something.

• Love 1
On 2/2/2020 at 9:24 AM, ottoDbusdriver said:

Uggh, yet another poorly written humorless episode.  I didn't think the bridge bit was funny at all.  Would the captain really be that surprised that he wasn't the only fake on the bridge ? Really ?

He is not a captain and doesn't know jack; so yes he really would be surprised.  Also, it is not as if he interviewed or hired anyone or has any idea what anyone does (would be doing if they were real),

Joe, the captain, definitely would have known the crew was bogus.

18 hours ago, UnknownK said:

Pretty sure they would run out of food sooner or later unless they started eating each other.

Did you see the movie, "The Martian" (2015) starring Matt Damon?

Well, considering there are 5000(?) people aboard Avenue 5, there should be more than enough "fertilizing material" for growing food.  Plus, Avenue 5's is set 40 years ahead of what we know about food storage/prep/production.  So, running out of food may be a non-issue for them.

Of course, I'm not ruling out "Soylent Green".  

• Love 7
9 minutes ago, PentaHookUp said:

Did you see the movie, "The Martian" (2015) starring Matt Damon?

Well, considering there are 5000(?) people aboard Avenue 5, there should be more than enough "fertilizing material" for growing food.  Plus, Avenue 5's is set 40 years ahead of what we know about food storage/prep/production.  So, running out of food may be a non-issue for them.

Of course, I'm not ruling out "Soylent Green".  

Do you have any idea how much 5000 people eat in a day? There is no space on a cruise ship to grow anything.

To give an example 5000 people is pretty much what live on an a modern nuclear aircraft carrier.

https://www.stripes.com/news/what-does-it-take-to-feed-an-aircraft-carrier-on-a-combat-mission-about-17-300-meals-1.527749

"Keeping the carrier’s seven galleys adequately stocked is vital. A supply ship delivers 400,000 to 1 million pounds of food every seven to 10 days."

36 minutes ago, UnknownK said:

Do you have any idea how much 5000 people eat in a day? There is no space on a cruise ship to grow anything.

To give an example 5000 people is pretty much what live on an a modern nuclear aircraft carrier.

https://www.stripes.com/news/what-does-it-take-to-feed-an-aircraft-carrier-on-a-combat-mission-about-17-300-meals-1.527749

"Keeping the carrier’s seven galleys adequately stocked is vital. A supply ship delivers 400,000 to 1 million pounds of food every seven to 10 days."

If there is a shortage of food, then every place becomes a place to grow food--especially common areas.  We could start with that yoga area, since no one is going to be worried about losing weight for the time being.  Also, a lot of food can be grown vertically.  

As for a supply ship having to deliver X-amount of food every seven days...that's a present day stat.  With 40 years worth of technical advances, who knows….  For example, once upon a time milk had to be refrigerated and was delivered every day.  Now, milk keeps on the shelf darn near forever.   

Couple other things: 

(1) You have to factor in some belt-tightening.  

(2) Estimated food wasted aboard a cruise ship: 30%. (That's folks who are paying...can only imagine what it is for folks who are eating on the "G's" dime.

Edited by PentaHookUp
  • Love 1

All food on the spaceship is processed, there are no seeds to plant to grow more, no direct sunlight (you are either flying to the sun or away from the sun and all the windows are on the side of the ship) to make them grow, the massive amounts of water needed to water them, the dirt needed to hold them in place (nor equipment for hydroponics).

1 acre of land can make around 7000lbs of corn a growing season, do that math they would starve. I don't know of any major advances in plants these days other then making them genetically resistant to whatever the current pests and disease are so you have a better yield.

I can see the passengers now fighting over the last citrus so they don't get scurvy.

On 2/1/2020 at 7:08 PM, DoctorAtomic said:

I think episode is the tipping point - if you're not into it now, you're probably not going to be and flip that. 90 minutes in, they've done a good enough job with the characters, and ending with the reveal seems like the right time.

I'm all in.  I think this show is seriously, laugh-out-loud funny.  Hugh Laurie slipping between American and British accents will never not be funny to me.  

• Love 8
4 hours ago, iMonrey said:

Weren't they discussing what they could grow during this episode? 

Yes, you are right; they were.  Iris and Matt updated Judd on the situation.  Forgot all about it; so had to re-look.

(not an exact quote):

Iris:  We are already 18% self-sufficient.  We turn our waste fluids into drinking water and our garden grows basic fungi.

Matt: It's incredibly bland, but filling.  It's like eating a lightly seasoned mattress.

What Iris said next is extremely funny, but unrepeatable here.

Edited by PentaHookUp
  • Love 1
On 2/3/2020 at 12:13 AM, DoctorAtomic said:

If it's really three years + to get home, I would crack up if the show ended with everyone dead. 

Dead would be better than having Captain Fake wake up next to his wife Karen and finding out that it had all been a dream. 

21 hours ago, DoctorAtomic said:

You could use hydroponics. You don't need sunlight and it's a lot less water. 

I did a search for plants that grow well using a hydroponics system.  I was surprised; I thought it would be a vegetables-only list.  But, it turns out that in addition to vegetables, a variety of flowers, fruits, and herbs do great using this system.  Marijuana also does very well. 

So, I say; using hydroponics sounds like the way to go to me; especially since we already know they will be making water.  And, I'm willing to bet that this food would taste a lot better than "lightly seasoned mattress".

Edited by PentaHookUp
  • LOL 2
On 2/4/2020 at 4:08 PM, DoctorAtomic said:

Please let them grow a ton of weed

If only. If only.  Probably would make their wait, if not more enjoyable, at least less stressful.

On 2/4/2020 at 4:00 PM, Netfoot said:

Tell us more!

I probably should have phrased that: According to the article “Marijuana also does very well.” 😎

On 2/3/2020 at 11:34 AM, iMonrey said:

I wasn't aware of the "Karen phenomenon" until you mentioned it and I Googled it. I think you might be onto something.

I had never heard of the term before either.  But, I guess using a code name sounds way better than saying: Hey, Max, that ball-busting “B” at table three wants to talk to you.  Because as we all know, there are eyes, ears, and phones everywhere.  And, of course, no place of business would want that kind of thing to go viral. 

• Love 1

Captain Fake has two spouses.  Doesn’t that mean both of his spouses also can have another spouse? Then that other spouse can also have another spouse; and so on and so forth.

If that’s the case, they must need scorecards to keep up with who-what-when-where.

Also, divorces must be as fascinating as heck.

And, let’s not even think about kids!

Edited by PentaHookUp
On 2/5/2020 at 9:38 PM, PentaHookUp said:

Captain Fake has two spouses.  Doesn’t that mean both of his spouses also can have another spouse? Then that other spouse can also have another spouse; and so on and so forth.

If that’s the case, they must need scorecards to keep up with who-what-when-where.

Also, divorces must be as fascinating as heck.

And, let’s not even think about kids!

It's a 3 person marriage - Hugh Laurie's 2 spouses are married to each other as well as to him. So it's a closed triangle vs. a tree that keeps expanding.