Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E01: Pilot

SERIES PREMIERE – Katy Keene (Lucy Hale) struggles to manage the pressures of her day job at Lacy’s Department Store and her very demanding boss, Gloria (Katherine LaNasa), who is a legendary personal shopper. Lucky for Katy, she has the support of her longtime boyfriend, KO Kelly (Zane Holtz), who has his own dream of becoming a professional boxer and a surprise Katy wasn’t expecting. Katy’s roommate and close friend, Jorge auditions for a Broadway play, but it doesn’t go as planned and he tries a different route to potentially get noticed. When Katy meet her new roommate Josie (Ashleigh Murray), she knows they will be fast friends. Josie meets record producer Alexander Cabot (Lucien Laviscount), but it is all seems too good to be true when Alexandra Cabot (Camille Hyde) gets involved. After a long day, the group of friends, including “It” girl Pepper (Julia Chan), all meet at their favorite hangout, Molly’s Crisis, to watch Jorge (Jonny Beauchamp) perform as his alter ego, Ginger, and to see Katy’s latest fashion creation. Maggie Kiley directed the episode written by Roberto Aguirre-Sacasa & Michael Grassi (#101).  Original airdate 2/6/2020.

3 minutes ago, childeroland said:

Was the scene with dresses in the window a dream sequence? When did she get the them in there?

They had gone in at night.  I thought it was real...she was helping him out once she saw he needed help.  

• Love 2
3 hours ago, alexa said:

I loved this.  I have missed having a good quirky show on CW.  I loved Gilmore Girls, Hart of Dixie, etc.   So this works for me.  

My thoughts exactly, those are two of my favorite shows and the type that never get made any more. They've certainly fallen out of favor with the CW and Netflix turning toward superhero stuff. Plus, Lucy Hale is adorable and perfect for this type of thing. I'm in! 

• Love 4
6 hours ago, SallyAlbright said:

My thoughts exactly, those are two of my favorite shows and the type that never get made any more. They've certainly fallen out of favor with the CW and Netflix turning toward superhero stuff. Plus, Lucy Hale is adorable and perfect for this type of thing. I'm in! 

Exactly.  I miss lighthearted shows like this.  It used to be there was one on some channel at some point at all times, and now it is so hard to find.  I was very pleasantly surprised to see this come around!  

• Love 2

The show seems to be a mixture of dichotomies (being in two states that appear to be in opposition), blended together as only a Riverdale spinoff can achieve. The writers seemed to have put some thought into the backstories of the characters to add just enough realisms to make it seem like what they have achieved and will achieve might be possible, but dichotomy, how old are these kids portrayed on the scene? If time is moving in Riverdale time Josie and Katy should still be under 18, but dichotomy, I don't think the two timelines are linked, I think Katy Keene might be a year or two or three ahead of the Riverdale timeline and that would be a good way to resolve my issues with the show. 
Josie sleeping with Alex Cabot, a young billionaire she just met, who is also her employer, I would consider is a problem. Then breaking up with him because he couldn't give her the job she wanted, makes it seem like she only slept with him to get ahead in life. Dichotomy: I think Josie really liked him and they will be dating in future episodes. This give all the characters unlimited money to play around with to make all of their dreams come true.   
All of their living needs are taken care of through Jorge Lopez, who's parents own the apartment they are living in and a grocery store beneath it. I really wish the apartment had some doors so that people who are doing things that should be done privately might have some privacy. Dichotomy: No doors allows everyone the ability to run though every part of the apartment in a dynamic fashion, typically in various stages of dress.
Pepper seems extremely old (maybe 2 or 3 years older than everybody else, but she acts and dresses way more mature than that, dichotomy, that I think she is old?). Pepper knows everyone in New York so she should have no problem arranging meeting with any type of talented person you might need. Does Pepper live with them, who knows? 
The Katy Keene from Riverdale was obsessed with her mother and unfortunately her mother wasn't feeling well. This Katy Keene is obsessed with the memory of her time with her mother, but an actual mother is nowhere to be found, dichotomy. Katy is living her best life with her boyfriend/maybe fiance, K.O. Kelly.
With all the glamorous partying and nightclubbing going on, one wonders how any of them can maintain a normal 9-to-5 job, but since Katy is the only one who has that type, we see the struggle she goes through to get there on time. Between partying, sex, work and making clothing for everyone, when does Katy sleep? 
The writers did a great job of setting things up so that anybody who wants to succeed at their chosen careers, it should be possible by the next episode. Between Alex Cabot's unlimited money and Pepper Smith's unlimited contacts, there shouldn't be any obstacles that can't be overcome, provided any of these people have a modicum of talent and dedication. Let's see how long they drag this out for.

• Love 2
14 hours ago, alexa said:

I loved this.  I have missed having a good quirky show on CW.  I loved Gilmore Girls, Hart of Dixie, etc.   So this works for me.  

Don't get me wrong, I'm trying to keep up with all 6 (now 5) superhero shows, but sometimes you just want a show about normal people! I thought this one packed a lot in the first episode that could have been 2 or 3 episode arcs - Katy trying to get the personal shopper job, failing, and getting the window dresser job; Josie moving there, getting discovered, not getting a record deal; Ginger trying out twice for the show. It was slightly overstuffed for a pilot but didn't feel stuffed with too much exposition, which was nice.

Side note - with Josie's line about Veronica "back in high school" is this show set in the future, or was Josie just a year older than the Riverdale kids?

• Love 1
34 minutes ago, shantown said:

Side note - with Josie's line about Veronica "back in high school" is this show set in the future, or was Josie just a year older than the Riverdale kids?

3 hours ago, AnimeMania said:

If time is moving in Riverdale time Josie and Katy should still be under 18

Katy Keene takes place five years in the future from Riverdale (So i think 2023/2024, but it was pointed out that it's hard to pin down when Riverdale takes place in 1956, 1984, and 2020 all at the same time)

• LOL 3
  • Love 1

This was a fun hour with fashion, dancing, singing, and pretty people so I'm in.

Bonus: Tonya Pinkins! It was fun seeing so many actors I recognized from various other shows (Julia Chan, Katherine LaNasa, Mary Beth Peil, Heléne Yorke, even the actor who played Francois!).

I had to laugh that Gloria thought Prince Erroll was coming to a department store to shop for something to wear to the Met Gala. Even the most minor celebrities have stylists who will bring racks of clothes to them anywhere and let them pick out whatever they want so someone who is royalty and going to the Met Gala is not very likely to come by the store to get clothes. I know he's a guy, but still.

I awwwwed when his girlfriend Patrice and Katy both said they grew up on Delancey Street. I'm not from New York, but I have watched When Harry Met Sally approximately eleventy million times and one of the couples said they grew up one block away from each other on the lower east side on Delancey Street.

I was glad when Pepper incredulously asked if Katy was going to move to Philadelphia to support her boyfriend's dream at the expense of her own. Girl, you're in your 20s. Chase your own dreams, not someone else's!

Amanda is a caricature of a mean girl, but unfortunately there are people like her. I found it hilarious yet sad that she thought she deserved the promotion because she's (allegedly) from the UES.

On 2/7/2020 at 5:11 AM, AnimeMania said:

Does Pepper live with them, who knows? 

No, she doesn't. When Josie arrived, Katy said that she (Katy) had on bedroom, Jorge had the big bedroom, and Josie would be sleeping on the sofa bed.

• Love 1

This show is a keeper for me. I can relate to the character, Katy losing her mom. I assume she lost her mom. She talked about her in the past tense a little. She told Veronica in the Riverdale episode her mom was ill. I am also a glass is empty kind of person. I could use some of Katy's glass is half full mentality. Katy's also just so sweet with a heart of gold. She is willing to help anyone. She has that Empath type of feel to her and I love it (and can relate).  

Lucy Hale is so charming as Katy so when Katy feels hurt I want to help her with the pain. Good example of how amazing Hale is in the role. 

As a whole, it such a hopeful and real depiction of life. Heartbreak, fun, endless possibilities. The whole cast can act, of course, especially our lead, Lucy Hale. I keep seeing this stated around every forum and reviewer... this role was made for her. She’s so charming, likable, does comedy to perfection, and makes the more dramatic scenes believable. The writing is strong. I just love the positive Energy of the theme, the "infinite possibilities" message. It has an adorable tone I embrace immediately. 

JOSIE MCCOY | “I’m from Riverdale. It’s the murder capital of the world. I’ll be fine.”   LOL. 

- I love the relationship between Katy and KO Kelly. Katy even wore a KO t-shirt since she's that adorable.  I wonder what she'll do with the proposal. Don't think she'll accept (although knowing Katy, she might initially say yes because she doesn't want to hurt his feelings) but I hope they stay together. He could commute to Philly, it's 90 minutes. 

- I love that Josie is on this show! The producer dude is so hot, lol. Seriously, the second he entered the screen... he's so handsome. I wonder if they will be a thing or it was just short-term. It makes sense Josie pulled away from him given what happened. We'll see what happens next. Sucks the Pussycats broke up but for the Josie story, it was necessary. 

- “It” girl Pepper wasn't fleshed out much yet so looking forward to this development.

- Poor Jorge but the guy has a strong determination (they all do!) so he'll be okay. 

- I watch three Superhero shows and you don’t realize you are drowning in darkness (Crisis, major drama) until you watch a Katy Keene that brings you back to life.

The overall hopeful Energy, strong characters, along with the breathtaking NYC scenes = such a beautiful, successful combination. Really impressed with this first episode and I cannot wait for the next one!

Edited by Auror
  • Love 1

What was going on, after Katy did not get the promotion, what was Katy's plan to bust into Lacy's and rob the joint (we were just going to borrow all these jewels and bring them back in the morning). Good thing that guy was there to thwart her plans.

• Love 1
9 hours ago, AnimeMania said:

What was going on, after Katy did not get the promotion, what was Katy's plan to bust into Lacy's and rob the joint (we were just going to borrow all these jewels and bring them back in the morning). Good thing that guy was there to thwart her plans.

Yeah, I was wondering about that, too, LOL.

On 2/7/2020 at 6:40 AM, SallyAlbright said:

You guys should try Zoey's Extraordinary Playlist, the pilot was really lovely! (And for GG lovers: it has Lauren Graham!)

As for this show... It made me feel very old. Even older than the girls from The Bold Type! Not sure I'll stick with it...

• Love 1
14 hours ago, GinnyMars said:

You guys should try Zoey's Extraordinary Playlist, the pilot was really lovely! (And for GG lovers: it has Lauren Graham!)

As for this show... It made me feel very old. Even older than the girls from The Bold Type! Not sure I'll stick with it...

I did try it, but it is a bit too much breaking out in song and dance for me.  Lol

• LOL 1

I thought it was like a happier version of Rent.  Considering that Rent is very much a drama, that's a fun direction to go.  Also, it had a kind of "comic book but real" feel; close to, but not exactly like, Ugly Betty (I don't watch enough telenovelas to know if that fits.)  The biggest drawback was that the antagonists seemed a little cartoonish, but that can happen.  (The exception:  the director who said "someone get him out of here"--not kind, but that seemed very real.)

The singing was great.  It was somewhere between a musical and a comedy-drama with music in it, and the music that was there was organic.

I will also give it credit for explaining, in the pilot no less, how several 20-somethings could afford that apartment in New York City.  ("His Dad owns the building...and the bodega downstairs."  Well done, line of dialogue that prevented a plot hole.)

• Love 2