Type keyword(s) to search

S40: Nick Wilson

Whimsy
  • Start Topic

Unpopular opinion? I think Nick is the best Survivor winner of the 30s.

He was social, strategic and competitive. He had many strong (named!) alliances, was well-liked by both Davids and Goliaths, devised the brilliant minority vote split to boot John, was the first person to successfully play a vote steal, won three immunities to save himself and gave one of the best final tribal council speeches in my recent memory (when he compared himself to David against three Goliaths).

If there is such a thing as a "five-tool player" in Survivor, Nick is it., and I cannot wait to see what he does this season.

Edited by Eolivet
  • Love 11
On 1/17/2020 at 5:27 AM, cherrypj said:

Season 37 was the MOST entertaining season for me ever!

The entire cast was great - not a single dud in the entire lineup.  And, they all seemed to get along really well.   It was just super FUN to watch.

Next would be Brains vs. Brawn vs. Beauty (Tony's season).  That was a good cast too and super entertaining.

I love the Nick/Davie relationship.  They are both really good human beings.

Edited by Jextella
  • Love 2

So I'm not entirely sure what happened, but Nick ended up deleting his twitter after posting about how upset he was at his edit.  I guess there was a clip posted online (maybe from a secret scene?) of him smelling his arm pits.  Or maybe it happened on the show and I clearly don't remember.  But I guess that was apparently enough for him.  Anyway, I read on other sites he got into it with Ciera "she voted out her mom" and Laura "voted out by her own daughter", called one of them a bitch, and then deleted his Twitter.  As I said, I don't know exactly what he said or what led it to get so testy.  I know Nick isn't the only one complaining about their edit this season, and he didn't like being called a hyena by Tony.  

I know Nick took a beating online after voting out Parvati.  He and Wendell both got attacked and some of the things said were pretty vile.  These trolls were even hurling insults at Nick's fiancee.  So I'm not sure if he's still getting it from her fandom or not. 

Edited by LadyChatts
  • Love 3
4 hours ago, LadyChatts said:

So I'm not entirely sure what happened, but Nick ended up deleting his twitter after posting about how upset he was at his edit.  I guess there was a clip posted online (maybe from a secret scene?) of him smelling his arm pits.  Or maybe it happened on the show and I clearly don't remember.  But I guess that was apparently enough for him.  Anyway, I read on other sites he got into it with Ciera "she voted out her mom" and Laura "voted out by her own daughter", called one of them a bitch, and then deleted his Twitter.  As I said, I don't know exactly what he said or what led it to get so testy.  I know Nick isn't the only one complaining about their edit this season, and he didn't like being called a hyena by Tony.  

Yeah, I saw a post on the Survivor subreddit about the Ciera/Laura thing (to be fair to him, they insulted him by saying "Who is this Nick guy? Did he even WIN?").

I know Nick's been frustrated with his edit. I checked out his Instagram and he does have the clip mentioned above and a couple of replies he's left to other comments is about if he did something to piss off production. And he's not wrong. He's not even getting under-edited...well, he IS because I think he's only had a total of ten confessionals in this entire season and one of those confessionals, as I recall, was a 0.5 second clip of him screaming in response to mimicking some other player at the time. And, when he DOES get shown, it's not him doing anything strategic; it's just him looking like an idiot or a creep (whether that's his, albeit pretty funny, Sneaky Nick segment, or his Vampire Donathan scene). 

Nick is getting a very poor edit and it's unclear as to why. He's obviously doing something right, especially since he's been in danger at least twice and at least one of those times was himself actively saving himself, but he's not being shown very well. Compare that to Michele, who at least has been shown to be doing something strategically a couple of times, even when she has also disappeared from the edit more than a few times. Nick is obviously close with Tony in some way, with the last episode and how he clearly trusted Tony a few times...but why aren't we seeing that? 

Oh right, because we either needed a bazillion Adam the Narrator confessionals, or 18 Tony confessionals from the last episode. Granted, Tony was the star in the last episode and needed to be shown, but Nick was a vital part of what was going on and he got a few lines...but ZERO confessionals. They couldn't have given him one confessional? Really? 

There are definitely plenty of people getting under-edited this season. Nick falls into the badly edited category because he hasn't been shown to really do anything. Other players have had a shining moment here and there. Nick hasn't and I'm sure he's doing something right in order to have gotten this far. It's just crazy that we haven't gotten to see it. So maybe production really DOES hate him. 

• Love 3
2 hours ago, Lady Calypso said:

Yeah, I saw a post on the Survivor subreddit about the Ciera/Laura thing (to be fair to him, they insulted him by saying "Who is this Nick guy? Did he even WIN?").

I know Nick's been frustrated with his edit. I checked out his Instagram and he does have the clip mentioned above and a couple of replies he's left to other comments is about if he did something to piss off production. And he's not wrong. He's not even getting under-edited...well, he IS because I think he's only had a total of ten confessionals in this entire season and one of those confessionals, as I recall, was a 0.5 second clip of him screaming in response to mimicking some other player at the time. And, when he DOES get shown, it's not him doing anything strategic; it's just him looking like an idiot or a creep (whether that's his, albeit pretty funny, Sneaky Nick segment, or his Vampire Donathan scene). 

Nick is getting a very poor edit and it's unclear as to why. He's obviously doing something right, especially since he's been in danger at least twice and at least one of those times was himself actively saving himself, but he's not being shown very well. Compare that to Michele, who at least has been shown to be doing something strategically a couple of times, even when she has also disappeared from the edit more than a few times. Nick is obviously close with Tony in some way, with the last episode and how he clearly trusted Tony a few times...but why aren't we seeing that? 

Oh right, because we either needed a bazillion Adam the Narrator confessionals, or 18 Tony confessionals from the last episode. Granted, Tony was the star in the last episode and needed to be shown, but Nick was a vital part of what was going on and he got a few lines...but ZERO confessionals. They couldn't have given him one confessional? Really? 

There are definitely plenty of people getting under-edited this season. Nick falls into the badly edited category because he hasn't been shown to really do anything. Other players have had a shining moment here and there. Nick hasn't and I'm sure he's doing something right in order to have gotten this far. It's just crazy that we haven't gotten to see it. So maybe production really DOES hate him. 

Why am I not surprised Ciera/Laura started it?  I mean, it was an innocent remark, but apparently they caught Nick at a bad time.  

There's an interesting theory regarding edits on other sites.  I don't know if I believe them, although I wouldn't be 100% surprised.  In Nick's case, we know that in his original season, Mike White was a friend of Probst, and that Probst also really liked Christian and Angelina.  Christian's edit was where I thought he couldn't lose.  And who ended up beating all 3 of them?  Since Probst and TPTB think they know best, the theory is the poor edit on Nick's behalf, and maybe some others, if TPTB don't like them and are trying to show why they should have lost.  That basically, their win was a fluke.  I've said all season I feel like some of these winners act like they are in over their heads, and I feel like the reaction to both them on the show and to their edit (or lack of) is surprising to them.  The other theory was that TPTB were pissed all the old schoolers got picked off, so that's another retaliatory measure they took.  Do I believe it?  Not really, although I also wouldn't put it passed those in charge of being that spiteful.   Kelly Wiglesworth believed she got a quiet edit for Second Chances because she wouldn't go on and on in her TH about how she'd been waiting for this moment for 15 years.  She wasn't drinking that kool aid for airtime.  So maybe that's what's happening here, too.   

I mean really, what has everyone's edit been like so far?  Michele's been shown getting blindsided in votes left and right, being invisible, complaining about Wendell, and complaining about the reaction to her win.  I know she's been shown trying to make moves, but since the merge, she's acted like the tag along.  I know that she doesn't have a choice, however.  I just know in the past, when you vowed to take revenge on someone (like she was alluding to with Wendell), you were usually leading their blindside, not watching them get blindsided.  Kim and Denise have both been fairly non existent.  Denise's big move was of course idoling out Sandra with her own idol, but otherwise it seems like she's going where ever the wind blows.  Only until the last few episodes had Kim come around, and she's outnumbered so she's talking big, but can't do anything.  Ben went from being a star struck big mouth to being a number to thinking he's a threat to getting upset at Jeremy calling him a threat to just being there as a piece of drift wood (and of course fighting with Adam).  Jeremy's been invisible, on the wrong side of the numbers, and acting kind of petty.  I mean, Tony's really the one whose edit and character are intact from his previous seasons.  And Nick, I forgot he was even apart of the season for the first half of it.  It didn't help that Sele sucked at challenges, and that the two votes Dakal went to TC for before the tribe swap were easy votes.  And what we did see of pre-swap Dakal focused on Yul, Sandra, Tony, and Tyson.  

Personally, I find Nick popping up at the most random and inconvenient times for everyone funny.  And I thought his comment about being called Evil Donathan vampire funny as well.  I do remember there were a lot of Donathan comparisons when his season first started (because they were both from Kentucky?)  I feel sorry for the guy, though.  A lot of the hate he's gotten is ridiculous.  If I ever went on one of these shows and developed a fan base that stooped to saying the things that were being hurled at Wendell and Nick, I'd be embarrassed.   

Edited by LadyChatts
  • Love 4
11 hours ago, Lady Calypso said:

That ... isn't a terrible thing to say lol. Certainly not so bad that he should be calling them bitches.

I read some other things about Nick yesterday that soured him on me and now this so I'm actually embarrassed I ever liked him in the first place tbh.

• Love 2
2 minutes ago, peachmangosteen said:

I read some other things about Nick yesterday that soured him on me and now this so I'm actually embarrassed I ever liked him in the first place tbh.

Oh come on, you can't just drop that bomb. Spill the tea!

• Love 5
15 minutes ago, peachmangosteen said:

That ... isn't a terrible thing to say lol. Certainly not so bad that he should be calling them bitches.

I think Nick took it too far by saying "you bitch". I also think that Laura (who I guess said the comment) did insult Nick by saying that. It's a minor thing, sure, but still insulting. Not that I really know who Ciera/Laura are. I just started on BvW so I'm not that far into seeing either of them. 

I also read some things on Nick yesterday but it's hard to gauge how true they really are. I'm not soured on him, but it's not like I have an investment in him as a person. I stand by my (probably) unpopular opinion that I've preferred Adam as a winner and Millennials vs Gen X as a season over Nick/David vs Goliath. And, if I have THAT unpopular opinion, then I MUST be crazy 🙂 

Either way, I always knew that Nick throws temper tantrums. He did it at least twice on DvG, so I never loved him as a winner. I can respect the game he did play back then and he made moves on his first season that were good. But, in terms of this season, he IS getting a bad edit. Similarly to players like Ben and even Wendell, I kind of feel bad for them for being thrown under the bus and then ran over a bunch of times for other players like Tony, Adam, Boston Rob, and maybe Natalie. Maybe Parvati too, but her edit this season has actually been very tame compared to all of her other seasons. 

So, I think Nick isn't a bad person, per say. He's just very immature in my eyes, which doesn't equate to him being a bad guy. 

• Love 3
12 minutes ago, Lady Calypso said:

But, in terms of this season, he IS getting a bad edit.

Maybe he’s getting an accurate edit this time while he got a good one the first time around. Apparently, some people from DvG have said he got a very kind edit in that season.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

Since Nick has deleted his twitter account, I can only see the replies to him and the mentions, and people definitely don't love him, but no one is being horrendous. We've said meaner things here about every player, although I assume no players are reading and being jerks has been our brand since MBTV days 😀.

I'm not sure the Laura/Ciera thing is why he did it. It looks like the "bitch" comment happened on instagram (which he didn't deactivate), but he must have deleted that post as it's not currently on his instagram. Here's a screenshot of it that someone took and tweeted. I looked at Ciera's and Laura's twitters to see if they had gotten in a fight with Nick, but there's nothing there. (And since Laura retweets with approval things from nutbar James Woods and his ilk, I will always be on the side of anyone who's fighting with her.)

Mostly, twitter people are speculating on why he did it, and the possible reasons seem to be: the armpit thing, Kim tweeting about his vampire teeth, people calling him Tony's puppet and comparing him to Woo, people calling Sandra "queen" when he doesn't like Sandra, something something Sophie also deleted her account (when it doesn't look like Sophie ever had a twitter account or at least not recently). It's all just a bunch of jazz hands basically. No one knows anything.

Did he get a good edit on DvG? I thought he seemed alternately smarmy and invisible, but by the end I was rooting for him because the alternatives were worse.

• Love 4
48 minutes ago, Lady Calypso said:

So, I think Nick isn't a bad person, per say. He's just very immature in my eyes, which doesn't equate to him being a bad guy. 

Agreed.

33 minutes ago, peachmangosteen said:

Maybe he’s getting an accurate edit this time while he got a good one the first time around. Apparently, some people from DvG have said he got a very kind edit in that season.

What have you read about DvG?

1 hour ago, peachmangosteen said:

What have you read?

• Love 1
39 minutes ago, Lady Calypso said:

But, in terms of this season, he IS getting a bad edit.

I disagree. Compared to Wendell, the showboat who did everything from stop calling Michele to cheating on her. Or Ben, the doofus with the magically vanishing sympathetic backstory. Or Adam's fool edit. Nick's not trying to destroy the Survivor set, Michele didn't catch him in bed with another woman (maybe. I have no idea what Wendell did) and he isn't whining that a million dollars is that much money. Nick's arguably getting the nicest edit of all the newschool men (save for maybe Jeremy).

12 minutes ago, fishcakes said:

Here's a screenshot of it that someone took and tweeted.

But this speaks volumes to me. It says Nick has bought into the David vs Goliath hype, let it go to his head and has cast himself in a large role as to why it was successful. Which is ... yikes.

I do think it speaks to immaturity, but also sort of ... what I can only describe as a provincial attitude. He lives in Kentucky, not LA (or even California, Florida, New York, where you can't throw a rock without hitting someone who's been on a reality show, probably). I'm guessing winning Survivor bought him considerable fame (figuratively and literally) in a relatively insular community. And this is his first "taste" of Survivor fandom since he won. And ... well.

Nick needed to fade back into normal person life after Survivor. He needed to stay in Kentucky and continue to live out his life as a Survivor legend-in-his-own-mind. Having his eyes opened to Survivor fandom at large, outside of David vs Goliath, probably wasn't the best idea for him.

I loved Nick's story on David vs Goliath, as the David who triumphed by making the right relationships and then winning immunity when he needed to. A David winning DvG was a fitting ending. But he was a small part of what made David vs Goliath special.

• Love 5
7 minutes ago, Eolivet said:

Nick's arguably getting the nicest edit of all the newschool men (save for maybe Jeremy).

Yes, I would say he's getting a not-quite-purple edit, but not a negative edit. He's being played a little bit for a joke (the creeping into conversations, the smelling of himself), but is that bad? I mean, Tony gets poked fun at all the time, and so did Aubry the last time she played. The difference is they can roll with it on social media. When a player decides they're offended or hurt by it is when the trolls come out and try to torment them with it. If he's this sensitive about random public opinion (and I'm not saying that in a judgmental way; I'm sure I would be even more sensitive about it), then he shouldn't read what people are saying about him on the internet. As Cochran said after his first season, he stayed off the internet because he knows how shitty people can be there (as he should since he was enough of a freak to get banned from Survivor Sucks twice), but when viewers approached him in person, they were always quite nice.

20 minutes ago, Eolivet said:

I loved Nick's story on David vs Goliath, as the David who triumphed by making the right relationships and then winning immunity when he needed to. A David winning DvG was a fitting ending. But he was a small part of what made David vs Goliath special.

Oh for sure. As everyone knows, DvG was great for one reason and that reason was:

carl2.JPG.f67a44ad9bb8678426b7bd3cf36a0177.JPG

• LOL 1
  • Love 4
13 hours ago, Lady Calypso said:

2 hours ago, peachmangosteen said:

I dunno... I don't think it's cool for any Survivor player to insult another since they are all part of the Survivor family.  He won his season, and for them to say that pretty much is just saying to his face that he sucks.  Especially coming from Ciera Eastin, who in my mind ranks up there as #1 or 2 of the most overrated Survivor players of all time (she or Kelly Wentworth, not sure which is the tops).  Whether it was Ciera or Laura who said it doesn't matter, they probably think the same about him.

Nick is getting a very "he's useless" edit this season, whether that's fair or not, I don't know.  He's barely on screen but then yes, the armpit thing and then him saying how people on the internet say he looks like a vampire because of his hair and his teeth (which I'm pretty sure is a reference to this or a predecessor board!)

I don't know what else he's done outside of the game but I still like him, to me he's one of the only ones left that I like.

• Love 12
3 hours ago, fishcakes said:

Yes, I would say he's getting a not-quite-purple edit, but not a negative edit. He's being played a little bit for a joke (the creeping into conversations, the smelling of himself), but is that bad? I mean, Tony gets poked fun at all the time, and so did Aubry the last time she played. The difference is they can roll with it on social media. When a player decides they're offended or hurt by it is when the trolls come out and try to torment them with it. If he's this sensitive about random public opinion (and I'm not saying that in a judgmental way; I'm sure I would be even more sensitive about it), then he shouldn't read what people are saying about him on the internet. As Cochran said after his first season, he stayed off the internet because he knows how shitty people can be there (as he should since he was enough of a freak to get banned from Survivor Sucks twice), but when viewers approached him in person, they were always quite nice.

Oh for sure. As everyone knows, DvG was great for one reason and that reason was:

carl2.JPG.f67a44ad9bb8678426b7bd3cf36a0177.JPG

You said what I was thinking 1000x over. 

As to Carl, I LOVE Carl sooo much, but...the entire DvG cast was great.  I've never purchased an entire season, but I did of DvG.

2 hours ago, blackwing said:

I dunno... I don't think it's cool for any Survivor player to insult another since they are all part of the Survivor family.  He won his season, and for them to say that pretty much is just saying to his face that he sucks.  Especially coming from Ciera Eastin, who in my mind ranks up there as #1 or 2 of the most overrated Survivor players of all time (she or Kelly Wentworth, not sure which is the tops).  Whether it was Ciera or Laura who said it doesn't matter, they probably think the same about him.

Nick is getting a very "he's useless" edit this season, whether that's fair or not, I don't know.  He's barely on screen but then yes, the armpit thing and then him saying how people on the internet say he looks like a vampire because of his hair and his teeth (which I'm pretty sure is a reference to this or a predecessor board!)

I don't know what else he's done outside of the game but I still like him, to me he's one of the only ones left that I like.

You said what I was thinking 1000x over, too!

If anyone is being a primadonna, its Cierra/Laura.  To think they are so good that they could criticize another player (and a winner at that) tells me they think highly of themselves.  Plus it is a slap in the face of the Survivor contestant "family" which I hear so much about.  I also agree that Cierra is highly overrated and now I'm officially a non-fan.

On the flip side, everyone knows they can't control the editing nor can they control people making stupid and hurtful comments on social media. Nick brought himself down to Cierra/Laura's level if he indeed used the B word which is unfortunate.  To think he could get through this unscathed suggests he might think a bit highly of himself as well.  Or, maybe he is just naive.   I hope he learns to let it go / rise above.

I agree that Nick's edit hasn't been bad.  He's just been pretty quiet.  His game play thus far is a bit like Denise's.  Quiet but definately still playing.    

My hope is that he'll pull another DvG and run the ball down the football field.  With so few episodes remaining, he'll have to. In fact, I'd like to see Denise do that as well! 

------------

There does seem to be a different tempermant between old and new school players.  Rob, Ethan, Parvati, Sandra, Yul, and Tyson are sort of gracious and quiet on SM.  That was a different time, though.  If I'm not mistaken, Cagayan was the first season CBS allowed players to go on social media.  It's a different world, and Twitter has become downright barbaric in places - Survivor is one. 

I found myself buying into some of the hype and comments and have now deleted all my Survivor-related tweets.  I don't want to start disliking Survivor and following comments on Twitter will ruin it for me.  This board - with an occassional dalliance into Reddit and Survivor Sucks are plenty for me.  Those sites are brutal too so I only skim - and only once in a blue moon.  This is by far the most dignified, readable forum I've found for all the shows I watch.

Edited by Jextella
  • Love 8

I didn't see what went down and I'm sort of surprised to read of it. For whatever happens IRL, Nick on social media is usually very plugged in to the Survivor community and engages often with other players in a supportive way.

If I had to speculate, and this is approximately 1000% projection from my own life, if I were a "holler to a collar" lawyer and season winner being called out by a beauty school dropout and her mom as impliedly an inferior player on the official CBS account, I can't say that I'd react well. Not as publicly or profanely, but as a poor kid who grew up to be a still poor but educated adult, the opinions of the know-nothings back home about my life always set me off.

• Love 9
On 4/24/2020 at 10:26 PM, Lady Calypso said:

On 4/25/2020 at 9:37 AM, peachmangosteen said:

Actually, Nick missed the definitive response:

”Yeah, I won; you know, that thing YOU never did?”

😎

• LOL 1
  • Love 10
On 4/25/2020 at 10:31 AM, fishcakes said:

Since Nick has deleted his twitter account, I can only see the replies to him and the mentions, and people definitely don't love him, but no one is being horrendous. We've said meaner things here about every player, although I assume no players are reading and being jerks has been our brand since MBTV days 😀.

I'm not sure the Laura/Ciera thing is why he did it. It looks like the "bitch" comment happened on instagram (which he didn't deactivate), but he must have deleted that post as it's not currently on his instagram. Here's a screenshot of it that someone took and tweeted. I looked at Ciera's and Laura's twitters to see if they had gotten in a fight with Nick, but there's nothing there. (And since Laura retweets with approval things from nutbar James Woods and his ilk, I will always be on the side of anyone who's fighting with her.)

Mostly, twitter people are speculating on why he did it, and the possible reasons seem to be: the armpit thing, Kim tweeting about his vampire teeth, people calling him Tony's puppet and comparing him to Woo, people calling Sandra "queen" when he doesn't like Sandra, something something Sophie also deleted her account (when it doesn't look like Sophie ever had a twitter account or at least not recently). It's all just a bunch of jazz hands basically. No one knows anything.

Did he get a good edit on DvG? I thought he seemed alternately smarmy and invisible, but by the end I was rooting for him because the alternatives were worse.

Thanks for doing and sharing the social media research legwork!  

Interesting that Sophie deleted her account too.   If it were me, I'd take the John Cochran approach and just avoid social media for a year or two.  

33 minutes ago, Jextella said:

Thanks for doing and sharing the social media research legwork!  

Interesting that Sophie deleted her account too.   If it were me, I'd take the John Cochran approach and just avoid social media for a year or two.  

I want to say that Sophie didn't have twitter before this season, but I might be wrong.  I don't think Tony did, either, or at least he wasn't very active.  I know it's not the first time someone made a SM account specifically when they were on the show, then deleted it after.  

I always think it's interesting after the fact, in this era of SM, who keeps their SM and talks about Survivor or whatever reality show they were on, and who doesn't.

15 minutes ago, LadyChatts said:

I want to say that Sophie didn't have twitter before this season, but I might be wrong. 

I am fairly sure she did have one at one point because I remember predicting she would win South Pacific based in large part due to twitter activity.

• Love 1
7 minutes ago, peachmangosteen said:

I am fairly sure she did have one a one point because I remember predicting she would win South Pacific based in large part due to twitter activity.

Both Sophie and Tony had different Twitter accounts in the past.  What we have seen as of later are new accounts.