Type keyword(s) to search

Season 6 Discussion: There's a New Sheriff in Town

• Start Topic

I never noticed how bow legged Dennis was until this episode! Holy moly, I wonder if something happened to him! I like the concept for the next part, I think the people who are the most helpful in this are the people who have been on the other side. Will be interesting to see how it goes. 

• Love 6

I wondered about Dennis' bowed legs. I couldn't take my eyes off them when he was out and running around that park. I wonder what happened, was it broken and didn't heal properly? I also kind of liked him at the end, he seemed quite genuine.

• Useful 1
  • Love 4

It looks like the Sheriff actually wanted more information then the participants/fake mates gave him which is different then the other Sheriffs who were more interested in proving their jails were secure and got kinda pissy when they realized they weren’t.    

I think think that might be one of the issues sending in wannabe reality tv narcissists instead of people who understand the mission.   I mean Jennifer’s major contribution was that she changed lives with God.   She was a few steps away from straight up Angele the place because of how much they loved her and God.

Dennis was more interesting is proving he was top dog but he was able to get a shank out of prison.

You may not like Ashley but she was able to show the sheriff a dirty CO who needed to be removed.   

• Love 5
On 2/14/2020 at 7:45 PM, Neurochick said:

Doesn’t anybody get that there are real inmates who have allergies?  What about them?  I’m sick of the faux Christian and Ashey.

I feel really conflicted about this. I guess my first thought is, did a 'real' criminal check in about all the religious and dietary restrictions prior to committing a crime? DUI - yes, going to jail and not being able to eat is not good. However, jail wasn't created to accommodate people's comforts, even if it's a life necessity. Are they just throwing everybody in jail? The ones who really need help seem to fall under health and mental health restrictions. If that's the case, why are they in jail? If they are jailed for posing a threat to others, then I am not as concerned about their diet. I can barely afford fresh fruit and veggies for my family, nevermind taxes for jail.

• Love 2

Prisons and especially jails (where you haven’t actually been convicted of a crime) do need to provide at the very least the basic necessities.   If you have dietary restrictions both religious and health wise they do need to be accommodated.   That being said asking for fresh fruit and vegetables is not the same thing as asking for a kosher meal.  It’s like me saying I am a carnivore and demanding steak every meal and putting up my nose at McDonald’s hamburger.  

Plus I just don’t like people who do nothing but complain all day.   This was a perfect opportunity for her to find out how people do in fact survive in prison when they don’t or can’t eat the food.   Instead she cried every day about how hungry she was.    And did nothing.  People have scams abd play cards and other activities both legal not.   It was actually a perfect in for her.  Heck she could have traded her of food for canteen.

If she had any street knowledge at alll.

Edited by Chaos Theory
  • Love 2
On 3/10/2020 at 12:29 AM, Chalby said:

I feel really conflicted about this. I guess my first thought is, did a 'real' criminal check in about all the religious and dietary restrictions prior to committing a crime? DUI - yes, going to jail and not being able to eat is not good. However, jail wasn't created to accommodate people's comforts, even if it's a life necessity. Are they just throwing everybody in jail? The ones who really need help seem to fall under health and mental health restrictions. If that's the case, why are they in jail? If they are jailed for posing a threat to others, then I am not as concerned about their diet. I can barely afford fresh fruit and veggies for my family, nevermind taxes for jail.

Here's the thing though: it's jail, not prison. Some of these people are there because they have too many tickets and can't afford to pay them. Some are there for things they didn't do. They haven't been convicted of anything yet,. A lot of people in jail are there for being poor. That's not what they are charged with, of course, but poverty is a huge contributing factor to the reason they are there to begin with. Prison is for people who have been sentenced and convicted of something. Of course jail wasn't created to accomodate people's comforts, but punishing people in jail by taking away their basic rights such as food, appropriate clothing, and ability to sleep does nothing but create anger and resentment and then we put these angry and resentful people back outside of jail. It might be a deterrent for the people who can afford to take it as such, but people in poverty, people of color, and other marginalized people cannot take it as a deterrent. They are likely to get arrested for more unpaid tickets, sleeping in a park, or other crimes of poverty. 

• Applause 1
  • Love 8
On 3/6/2020 at 1:19 PM, cheewhiz said:

I wondered about Dennis' bowed legs. I couldn't take my eyes off them when he was out and running around that park. I wonder what happened, was it broken and didn't heal properly? I also kind of liked him at the end, he seemed quite genuine.

I was curious about that too. How did we never notice that when he was in jail? The pants were too baggy or we just never saw him walk?

• Love 4

When I watched some of the previews, the behaviour I definitely don't want to watch, is someone who is going to be a jerk 24/7 to a guard just because. If there is a real situation (as with the female guard who was clearly sadistic) fine. I enjoy seeing how jails can be improved. I won't enjoy seeing guards tormented for sport (and low pay, clearly).

On 3/11/2020 at 9:38 AM, sara416 said:

Here's the thing though: it's jail, not prison. Some of these people are there because they have too many tickets and can't afford to pay them. Some are there for things they didn't do.

THANK YOU!! This is exactly what I needed explained to me. Your post is bang on - and I agree completely. (My former mindset was- Well, if Jeffrey Dahmer doesn't eat wheat... etc.)

• Love 3
On 2/21/2020 at 12:39 PM, jblunt73 said:

The only reason the inmates have not messed with her is because she is attractive and comes off as religious. 

I also believe the majority of the inmates could smell the crazy off Jen. Who wants to buddy up with the one who speaks in tongues and talks about her dreams filled with sexual demons?

On 3/6/2020 at 11:05 AM, Number6withCheese said:

Dennis is engaged. He surprised his fiancée with 6 rings to choose from.

Of course he did. I do not understand why a guy who seems to have it together like Dennis is so terrified of someone else doing better than him, or seeming more popular than him?

• Love 6

I wonder how much longer they can keep filming 60 days in shows?  By now anytime the camera crew shows up in a Jail, the Inmates know that they are there to film the show regardless of what the production crew says.  If you look too normal and don't talk the talk or socialize with the other inmates they already are going to think you are undercover.  I see from the upcoming previews they are already labeling the black female that is an EMT as being "60 days in".

Edited by jblunt73
  • Love 3

I don't know how I feel about Tony. Yeah he is doing the most to get information for the Sheriff but I don't always agree with his tactics of how he is going about it.  Taking that $50 bucks from the old man in intake and making his roommate go steal that book is a bit too much. Then the reply to does he feel guilty for letting his roomy go to the hole "No,  he a grown man he didn't have to do it."  Clearly the boy is intimidated and probably wants him as protection from other inmates as well.

I feel Tony has gotten too confident.  If he was asked to do the program for another 3 months are more, he would eventually end up getting jumped by the inmates there.  Some have a good idea that he is "60 day In" but are just too scared to confront him, but someone is always bigger and tougher than you.  Also he is not doing himself a favor running to the production crew every time he finds a shank or has some info to give.  The more you get taking out of your cell to do an interview with the production crew the more "suspect" you look.

• Love 7
1 hour ago, jblunt73 said:

I don't know how I feel about Tony. Yeah he is doing the most to get information for the Sheriff but I don't always agree with his tactics of how he is going about it.  Taking that $50 bucks from the old man in intake and making his roommate go steal that book is a bit too much. Then the reply to does he feel guilty for letting his roomy go to the hole "No,  he a grown man he didn't have to do it."  Clearly the boy is intimidated and probably wants him as protection from other inmates as well.

I feel Tony has gotten too confident.  If he was asked to do the program for another 3 months are more, he would eventually end up getting jumped by the inmates there.  Some have a good idea that he is "60 day In" but are just too scared to confront him, but someone is always bigger and tougher than you.  Also he is not doing himself a favor running to the production crew every time he finds a shank or has some info to give.  The more you get taking out of your cell to do an interview with the production crew the more "suspect" you look.

Agreed - he's going a little too over the top. I hope he ends up pissing off the sheriff just like Dennis did.

However I did like how he asked the new participants the questions that they will get asked by the inmates. Like 'what are you in for' 'have you seen a lawyer'  because thats how they get found out QUICK!

Edited by Dmarie019
  • Love 5
5 hours ago, Dmarie019 said:

Agreed - he's going a little too over the top. I hope he ends up pissing off the sheriff just like Dennis did.

However I did like how he asked the new participants the questions that they will get asked by the inmates. Like 'what are you in for' 'have you seen a lawyer'  because thats how they get found out QUICK!

Yeah I will give Tony credit for that, something that past shows should have been doing.

• Love 2
On 3/20/2020 at 7:11 PM, jblunt73 said:

Yeah I will give Tony credit for that, something that past shows should have been doing.

How was Tony able to buy all kinds of drugs inside, when in previous seasons, this would have gotten charges brought against participants? 

• Love 3

Vanessa has let her new cellmates scare her up.  Those girls are not gonna come to her hometown looking for her when they get out. They saying all that to see how she responds.  Vanessa is being too quiet.  There is a fine li e being talking too much & not saying anything.  Some people think you are scared or timid when you don't talk or have very little to say.  Instead of Vanessa saying her boyfriend is crazy, she should have made it look like she is the crazy one in her relationship.  This would give off a vibe that she's not to be messed with and you could suffer the consequences.

• Love 1

I don't get to watch this show on a consistent basis, but I agree about some of these participants. Seems like they are just looking for a way to become "reality TV famous". 

They are clearly NOT in it for the right reasons.

Part 1 of the Reunion show was pretty good.  It's clear Tony thinks he is/was the "star" of the show.  He likes to give his opinion on how everyone else did in the program, but yet finds no problem in how he acted on the show.  Dennis seems like a pretty good guy.  He acted like a jerk in the beginning of the program but I guess he was getting into character to make it through the program.  I don't know how others feel, but I would rather deal with Chief Peek than Sheriff Horton.   Horton seems like he can be a Jerk at times.

The Highlight of the 1st part of the reunion was the interaction between Shanese and Jennifer.  Jennifer made the statement she thinks it is hilarious than Shanese thinks she would beat her in a fight.   Actually I think it is the opposite.  Unless Jennifer knows some self defense techniques or is use to fighting when she was a "Bad Girl" I would give the advantage to Shanese due to her being the larger person.   God isn't going to come down an intervene on Jennifer's behalf, he would probably be disappointed she resulted to fighting.  Ashley tried to play peacemaker in the argument between Jennifer & Shanese, but then got immediately exposed when they played how she really felt about Shanese.  

• Love 1

Dennis really redeemed himself in the reunion, I was very surprised! I expected him to be the same cocky asshole he was during the show but he actually realized his behavior was wrong and apologized for it.

• Love 1

Season 6 is such a clusterf#%*!!! I commend the new Sheriff for taking the bull by the horns & starting the Herculean task of cleaning up after years of inexcusable corruption. I have great respect for the Sheriff & his team for working to make things right.

The problem I have is that there’s no excuse for putting innocent participants into such a dangerous situation!!! There were so many obvious issues requiring immediate attention (e.g., broken locks, untrained personnel, contraband, etc.) - why not fix the obvious stuff first??? I thought this show was about learning where holes exist in a largely functional system. They don’t need “60 Days In” to tell them what’s wrong here, & it was so unfair to the participants to put them in such danger.  

For the participants that tapped out very early, I don’t blame them AT ALL!!! I felt so bad for them. They felt like they failed, but I emphatically disagree! They did not fail; rather, they were failed. This place has such a shocking lack of security, I can’t wrap my mind around it!!! 

Lastly, in a place so obviously volatile, I can’t believe C.O. Williams would dare be such an evil, abusive, sadistic bitch to the inmate ladies!!! It’s so difficult not to wish for something violent to happen to her! She’s a straight-up sociopath!!!

• Love 1
On 3/10/2020 at 7:07 PM, Chaos Theory said:

Prisons and especially jails (where you haven’t actually been convicted of a crime) do need to provide at the very least the basic necessities.   If you have dietary restrictions both religious and health wise they do need to be accommodated.   That being said asking for fresh fruit and vegetables is not the same thing as asking for a kosher meal.  It’s like me saying I am a carnivore and demanding steak every meal and putting up my nose at McDonald’s hamburger.  

While I agree that she should have been provided a meal she could eat, when she approached the one older CO about it, the CO asked if she had a doctor's note and she did not. I think the inmates should have a doctor's note for special diets. Anyone can say anything. Why couldn't she ask a family member to contact her DR to send a note verifying her celiac disease to the jail? Once the jail had it, they would be required to provide it. Until she has proof, they only have her word. And why doesn't the Production staff do mental health exams and get full medical before they go in? If my kid went to summer day camp, I had to provide full medical and physical forms, signed by a DR.

• Love 1
On 3/11/2020 at 11:38 AM, sara416 said:

Here's the thing though: it's jail, not prison. Some of these people are there because they have too many tickets and can't afford to pay them. Some are there for things they didn't do. They haven't been convicted of anything yet,. A lot of people in jail are there for being poor. That's not what they are charged with, of course, but poverty is a huge contributing factor to the reason they are there to begin with. Prison is for people who have been sentenced and convicted of something. Of course jail wasn't created to accomodate people's comforts, but punishing people in jail by taking away their basic rights such as food, appropriate clothing, and ability to sleep does nothing but create anger and resentment and then we put these angry and resentful people back outside of jail. It might be a deterrent for the people who can afford to take it as such, but people in poverty, people of color, and other marginalized people cannot take it as a deterrent. They are likely to get arrested for more unpaid tickets, sleeping in a park, or other crimes of poverty. 

Great post! This is why I give a side eye to "innocent until proven guilty". What that says to me is this nation regularly locks up presumed innocent people and then proceeds to engage in human rights violations against them. Doesn't sound like they consider them very innocent to me. Fact of the matter is you are only innocent if you can afford a pricey attorney to show up and go to bat for you. It's an outrageous lie. I engaged in this debate in a PolySci class with the professor and got applause from the class. Half of the students acted like they had never considered that argument (because the innocent lie has been beat into their heads all their lives no doubt).

Edited by Rebky
  • Love 2
39 minutes ago, Rebky said:

Great post! This is why I give a side eye to "innocent until proven guilty". What that says to me is this nation regularly locks up presumed innocent people and then proceeds to engage in human rights violations against them. Doesn't sound like they consider them very innocent to me. Fact of the matter is you are only innocent if you can afford a pricey attorney to show up and go to bat for you. It's an outrageous lie. I engaged in this debate in a PolySci class with the professor and got applause from the class. Half of the students acted like they had never considered that argument (because the innocent lie has been beat into their heads all their lives no doubt).

It should read "guilty until you can prove you're innocent" and you have more chance of that the more money you have.

• Applause 1