Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E05: Two for $40

Alice Eve is somehow Kat's Mom right?

Or maybe Aunt?

Also, Kat is super dumb for not letting Justin's family pay for EVERYTHING. Costume, broken down cars, sandwiches, etc. if I were her even with her stolen baby background, they'd pay for it all!

Edited by Megan
  • Love 2
On 1/4/2020 at 7:19 AM, Megan said:

Alice Eve is somehow Kat's Mom right?

Or maybe Aunt?

Also, Kat is super dumb for not letting Justin's family pay for EVERYTHING. Costume, broken down cars, sandwiches, etc. if I were her even with her stolen baby background, they'd pay for it all!

January Jones is Kat's mother - Sarah Wright plays Mandy which must be a bit odd for her as she is Eric Christian Olsen's rl wife and DJE was just back on NCIS-LA as Harman Rabb along with Eric . Her NCIS vibes are probably weird anyway as her rl sister in law plays her husbands wife

7 hours ago, peachmangosteen said:

Who is Alice Eve? The name isn't ringing a bell for me.

I totally thought Mandy was played by Alice Eve. She isn't.

She was acting very weird about Kat so I thought it was going to be some weird "I'm your real mother!" soap opera thing. Guess not.

• LOL 1

I rather liked the coach's scenes with Carol. It's too bad they initially portrayed him as a creep, because I liked his empathy with Carol and Serena. The scene with him kind of joining Carol in her obsessive cleaning was well done. But the initial scenes of his implied creepiness have ruined him, unless they backtrack really fast.

• Love 1

Kat's not nearly unlikable as Carol. And I gotta say I'm sick of the trope that having mental illness makes people selfish, inconsiderate assholes. Carol's an asshole because she's an asshole. Mental illness didn't make her take her daughter's money; she took it because she's a selfish, petty, immature woman and she's a shitty mother/parent at that. Mental illness aside, Kat and Carol have a toxic fucking relationship and I wish the show would have done a better job of addressing that. 

And Kat is so full of pride and wanting to prove a point to her mom, that she sold her own meds for money instead of accepting help from Mandy. I just cannot. 

• Love 9

Carol is not perfect, but she is real and she take actions out of love. 

Kat on the other hand, is selfish, abrasive, extremely self centered, and malicious. She is the most unlikable character on this show.

What doesn't help is the actress is very one-dimensional, the long face, the pouting and the ugly make-up all make the character even more unlikable.

4 hours ago, showme said:

Kat on the other hand, is selfish, abrasive, extremely self centered, and malicious. She is the most unlikable character on this show.

Kat may be unlikeable to many but she is also very realistic. Parents like Carol frequently results in children like Kat. It can take massive amounts of therapy to undo the damage caused by parents with uncontrolled or sporadically controlled mental illness. Carol acting out of love does not make it any easier and in some aspects would make it harder on Kat and Serena. 

I do find Kat to be more likeable than Carol but the reasons for that involve things that happened in later episodes. 

Edited by Guest
On 1/11/2020 at 2:14 PM, showme said:

What doesn't help is the actress is very one-dimensional, the long face, the pouting and the ugly make-up all make the character even more unlikable.

I feel like I am watching a different show. Selfish, self-centered and malicious? Please do name one single instance where Kat has done something out of malice (thus far, I am on episode 6!). If anything, by the start of the series she is shown to be selfless to a fault. She was practically babysitting her family, making sure her deadbeat mom didn't quit her meds and watching over her coinceted sister - only for them both to viciously lash out at her for all her troubles.

Carol is a real piece of work and it has very little to do with her bipolar disorder . She doesn't do anything out of love, everything she has done thus far was motivated by her need to live vicariously through her daughters. She has been emotionally abusing Kat and using her as an easy scapegoat for her failed career since she was a toddler, chipping away at her sense of self to the point her daughter is incapable of accepting well meaning help from people like Mandy because she constantly feels less than.

As for Kaya's acting range, she's miles ahead of January Jones and boy does it shows.

• Love 7

Perhaps Carol is a real person somehow come to life and posting here 😉

Can someone explain to me what pills Kat sold? I assumed it was adderall or something like that because why would college students need lithium to study?

8 hours ago, CeeBeeGee said:

Perhaps Carol is a real person somehow come to life and posting here 😉

Can someone explain to me what pills Kat sold? I assumed it was adderall or something like that because why would college students need lithium to study?

Yes, it was adderall.

• Love 1