Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E10: Ninety-Seven

• Start Topic

I think Judy’s father may be inside the robot. 

The robots — and their crashed ship — are they reason Earth is dying, right? It was the  Christmas Star collision that made Earth start becoming uninhabitable, and made everyone want to high-tail for Alpha Centuri.  So I’ve been okay with the murder of clearly sentient beings, because they started it.  But if the whole reason they came to Earth was sort of our fault ...  

The last four episodes were pretty good. I think they need to find a way to mitigate Smith because it’s just annoying that she is so malicious for no real reason.  it’s hard to think she would not have a bulletin her head yet. It would be more interesting to see her actually working for the public good stead of the constant scheming, especially when she’s got no place to run to.  

• Love 2

No, but I remember the much maligned 1999 film where Kenneth Branagh was part mechanical spider monster.  Does that count?  😄 
What the hell was in the water during the 90's?

All I remember about that movie is Mr Fischoeder and Salma Hayek's butt.

Neither Kenneth Branagh nor Salma Hayek were in the theatrical version of Lost in Space (1998). William Hurt played John Robinson, Matt LeBlanc played Don West, and Gary Oldman played Dr. Smith. Maureen was Mimi West and Judy was Heather Graham.

On 1/22/2020 at 4:11 PM, iMonrey said:

Neither Kenneth Branagh nor Salma Hayek were in the theatrical version of Lost in Space (1998).

We were joking about Wild Wild West.

Edited by rab01
On ‎1‎/‎15‎/‎2020 at 11:28 AM, whiporee said:

The last four episodes were pretty good. I think they need to find a way to mitigate Smith because it’s just annoying that she is so malicious for no real reason.

I agree and I'm getting to the point of rolling my eyes every time Smith is on screen.

I want to know how Will was saved on the planet after he called out "mayday" and how all those people ended up on his ship when the robots were heading his way. 

Edited by foxfreakinmulder
  • Love 4
On 1/15/2020 at 2:28 PM, whiporee said:

The robots — and their crashed ship — are they reason Earth is dying, right? It was the  Christmas Star collision that made Earth start becoming uninhabitable, and made everyone want to high-tail for Alpha Centuri.  So I’ve been okay with the murder of clearly sentient beings, because they started it.  But if the whole reason they came to Earth was sort of our fault ...  

I don't think that is what happened.  I think the earth was dying before the crash but no one had been able to figure out how to get off the planet.  Then, the crash happened and they used the alien technology and were able to start leaving.

Poor Billy Mumy - last we saw of his Dr. Smith, he was in a cryo chamber.  I guess he was blown to smithereens with the Resolute.

• Love 2

Binge watched the last three episodes of the season.  I really want to like this show but it's almost like the writers didn't know how to put together coherent plots for a 10 episode season.   I thought these final episodes were a mish mash of plot filler, dropped or unexplained story details and character reactions which make no sense.

Judy gets a distress call from her parents who are spinning around in space and focuses on the Scarecrow problem instead without telling Will and Penny.  Will makes it back to the Resolute from the water planet with evacuees from the other planet on the Jupiter 2 (I think) --- how did that happen?  All the stuff about collecting water only to have everyone evacuate and the Resolute being destroyed.  Scarecrow turning on his own kind to basically defend humans after his imprisonment and torture by same --- didn't buy it.  The Robinsons are suddenly back to running things aboard the Resolute after being criminalized by Hastings and Adler.  Will's robot is taken down by electrical batons after demonstrating repeatedly that he has the abilities to have easily taken out the guards while still allowing Will and Adler to escape with Scarecrow.  And so on. 

I'll probably stick around for Season 3 but the writers as a team need to do a better job in plotting out the entire season.  This could be a great show but better quality control, please.

• Love 3
On 3/5/2020 at 9:07 AM, Mrs. Stanwyck said:

I don't think that is what happened.  I think the earth was dying before the crash but no one had been able to figure out how to get off the planet.  Then, the crash happened and they used the alien technology and were able to start leaving.

Poor Billy Mumy - last we saw of his Dr. Smith, he was in a cryo chamber.  I guess he was blown to smithereens with the Resolute.

"Danger - Billy Mumy"!

• LOL 1

So we are all clear that Smith had a second broken space suit in the bag and used the opportunity to stow away on the Jupiter with the kid, right?

Also god damn it. Proxima Centauri is so far away from the other two stars, it wouldn't look any brighter than other stars. So listing the red dwarf, kinda pointless, Will.

On 12/27/2019 at 5:22 PM, Speakeasy said:

Well it'd better be a good reason because there's almost a hundred of them crammed into one space RV and they piled on in a hurry so I don't think they had time to bring lots of supplies.

Well, since it's stranded in another solar system (for a second I thought it a destroyed earth, but we can't have anything cool on this show), it has to have an alien engine on board.

On 12/29/2019 at 3:58 AM, ottoDbusdriver said:

I guess the whole ship mutiny/collecting ammonium/water cleaning exercise was a complete waste of time since the Resolute was completely trashed by the end of the episode.

I never quite got, why shipping colonists back and forth between the planet and Alpha Centauri (still irks me that they never mentioned a planets name, just the star systems name. That's like saying "we're flying to Sol" when you mean "we are flying to earth") with a Jupiter wasn't discussed. Doesn't seem like that engine is limited in how many trips it can do...

They probably could have been out of there weeks ago.

On 12/29/2019 at 3:58 AM, ottoDbusdriver said:

I don't know what the hell is going on with Dr. Smith. We are led to believe that she transferred out of her space suit into that cargo container -- in a hard vacuum, no less -- before her helmet shattered, that cargo container was completely ignored by the robots even though they could observe her in that room, and then somehow that cargo container was transferred on to the T8 ship where Dr. Smith escaped leaving her blue rubber ball and bandanna in the cargo container.  That is some class A bullshit there.

Oh god, is that really what we are meant to blieve? That would be so extremely dumb. I mean how would she even get into the ship in that cargo container? I just thought she had a decoy-suit. Hopefully that gets cleared up next season in a not completely stupid way.

On 12/30/2019 at 7:10 PM, iMonrey said:

Smith downright murdered some guy. You can't come back from that. 

I mean, they put the overwrite outside the airlock, instead of inside, where somebody might need it. At that point is it really murder or just natural selection?

On 1/4/2020 at 1:36 AM, MisterGlass said:

She would have had to make it to the airlock and out of the hangar in 15 seconds before blackout and more gruesome side effects, or be rescued by another force.

Probably longer. Just because one unprepared guy passed out after that time doesn't mean you necessarily would. The chimps made it multiple minutes.

On 1/4/2020 at 7:57 PM, immortalfrieza said:

That was the problem with Smith in Season 1, she actively made things worse with her every action and was directly or indirectly responsible for nearly every bad thing that happened the entire season. Not only that Smith got obvious about it really quickly to the Robinsons at the very least.

The main problem was that with her every action she made things worse for herself. Had she just layed low, things would have gone much better for her and she is smart enough that she should have known that. So that was just horrible writing.

On 1/9/2020 at 9:03 PM, rab01 said:

No, but I remember the much maligned 1999 film where Kenneth Branagh was part mechanical spider monster.  Does that count?  😄 What the hell was in the water during the 90's?

At least for wild wild west it was one producer (John Peters) with a spider fetish. Kevin Smith had a monolouge about it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wo2KB1dEDdk

• Love 1
On 12/30/2019 at 7:19 PM, swanpride said:

I fear the show needs Dr Smith because she is the only character with serious layers in it. The other characters while likable enough, tend to be very "nice", they need a character like her to play off on.

I overall enjoyed the second season more than the first, but I really wish they would turn down the "we are family" speeches...I was eventually fast forwarding the big good-bye scene because it was just too long. I am really not an impatient viewer, but it kind of annoyed me that everyone else was sending their children away as quickly as possible while they had a big, self-indulgent goodbye which just held everything up.

I really like Parker's Smith.  When Penny pulled off the shell game a couple of episodes ago.  Smith didn't get mad for being played - she appreciated the move.  She looked at Penny like she was a proud mama. "Look at all the tricks you are learning from me."

On 1/15/2020 at 1:17 PM, Joimiaroxeu said:

Until I came here I figured Smith was dead, finally. Maybe not. Guess Parker's in for some serious contract renegotiations before the next season, hah, hah. It seemed like they were trying to soften the character a bit by giving her a conscience near the end but it may have been too little too late, IMO.

Nice visual nod to the movie Aliens with those killer robots flooding the ship. Good job.

Funny to watch Robot going through his "terrible two's" and saying no all the time.

The special effects on this show are fantastic. Hope this isn't another show we'll have to pray for Amazon to pick up because it's so expensive. (They really did right by The Expanse, so...🙄)

Please tell me they're bringing on Mahershala Ali to play Judy's father next season.

So the robots are very interesting.  Are they a new species - or where they robots for another advanced species and are now evolving.

I think it's the 2nd one.  Because they were so concentrated on getting that one engine.  Which means they don't have another one and cannot create it themselves.  And it looks like the have been dormant on at least 2 planets - waiting to be rewakened.  And it looks like they were created for security and to fly ships.

So Scarecrow was willing to help them for a few of the missions to alpha centauri.  But he wanted something in return.  And the inability to communicate was a major problem - so he refused.  They tortured him.  He brought them to a point where he could get help from some fellow robots - and mahem began.

So Scarecrow, the only entity that knew where alpha centauri was, is now dead. Good work people.  The Resolute was not going anywhere as long as the humans ignored the robot rebellion that was all around them.  Isn't that what John Robinson heard over the airwaves a couple of episodes ago - there were many of them.  Scarecrow - would just go to another robot planet.  

Robot is documentating his travels and is looking to belong.  And he doesn't want to be treated like a tool.  I am firmly on Team Robot.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
On 3/10/2020 at 1:24 PM, Notseriously said:

Scarecrow turning on his own kind to basically defend humans after his imprisonment and torture by same --- didn't buy it. 

Maybe it's because I am a sucker for stories about animals who have been neglected or abused and transform into devoted pets after they are rescued and healed (including some who have saved their new owner's lives), but I bought this. After seeing the bond between Robot and Will and the efforts by Will and family to save Scarecrow, as well as Adler making the ultimate sacrifice in order to save Scarecrow and atone for Adler's past actions, I think that revived/healed Scarecrow understood the concepts of friendship and sacrifice and returned the favor. OK, it isn't very believable, but almost 2 years into the pandemic and with all the other terrible things happening in our country and the world, I need some hopefulness in my TV watching. 

• Love 3

Catching up here ... I FF through a lot of these when Smith is on the screen, or the kids are talking, but did I hear correctly as Will was returning to the Resolute pursued by robots that the robots destroyed all the other Jupiters? Were people in those Jupiters? If so, no one seemed to care at all that robots killed a bunch of people in them. If not, what happened - were the ships just parked?