Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E10: A Pain in the Mask

• Start Topic

This was a hard elimination. Everyone did well. I thought Seal was going home since Robin seems to know who he is. I didn’t like T-Pain as a judge. He didn’t add any great music insights and many of his comments were self-promoting. I thought his Mariah Carey comment was mean not funny. 

I loved Ana giving Ken a hard time about not knowing her. Robin is right about Ken not being able to recognize people he should know like Ana and Margaret Cho.

• Love 9

Here's the thing about Thingamajig. If it's who's been speculated, I guarantee nobody on that panel knows who he is. It's one thing to have people where you haven't heard of them in a while (like T-Pain last year), but it's another to have C-list sports stars who nobody on that panel has a prayer of guessing. They're all going to fake like they know him, but it's not like this guy is LeBron James or Stephen Curry, or even Antonio Brown or Terry Bradshaw last year. And I feel that utterly goes against the spirit of the show. Theoretically, the judges have to be able to guess your identity because you sort of have to be ... famous.

And Nicole pulling random Orlando Magic stars out of her rear end means they're going to try their darndest to convince us this guy really is famous, you guys, I promise. But I maintain Thingamajig is un-guessable, and that's another reason (other than his meh voice) that he has no business being on this show.

• Love 9
2 hours ago, Eolivet said:

Here's the thing about Thingamajig. If it's who's been speculated, I guarantee nobody on that panel knows who he is.

Basically all the "tell us something about yourself" clues this episode were "I worked with one of the judges in some way shape or form" from every single contestant. So someone should know who the hell he is, but possibly not in a really guessable way.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

Thingamajic is an NBA all star that played with Orlando, the Thunder and the Pacers.  I think the casual sports fan would only know the superstars.   Anyone who really watches the sport and doesn't just rely on the over reporting of the New York or LA teams would definitely know Vic.  I doubt too many superstars would be doing this show, especially during the NBA season.  Vic is hurt, so he can have some fun and he loves to sing.  He's not going to win, but, it seems many fans do like the Thingamajig, and he has been an interesting contestant, for many reasons,  so it's  a win situation.  Besides, is the winner of the Masked Singer a big deal?  Lol...Pattie LaBelle was voted off, and winning this show hardly qualifies as life changing.   I just want to smile and be entertained and not take this show too seriously.

• Love 6

Flamingo was definitely the weakest singer last night and should have been the one booted.  (if we're basing said booting about the evening's performance).  Those high notes were hella screechy.  Christmas Tree was, in my opinion, the second best performer last night, but obviously that doesn't matter in this "competition".

I understand that I'm old and am not too familiar with many pop type singers (like T-Pain), but I agree with Eolivet, if 98% of the watching audience has no idea who the person is, and can't even offer a guess, maybe that person shouldn't be on the show.  (a person such as Thingamajig would never be considered for Dancing with the Stars, for example).

• Love 6
12 minutes ago, roughing it said:

Flamingo was definitely the weakest singer last night and should have been the one booted.  (if we're basing said booting about the evening's performance).  Those high notes were hella screechy.  Christmas Tree was, in my opinion, the second best performer last night, but obviously that doesn't matter in this "competition".

I understand that I'm old and am not too familiar with many pop type singers (like T-Pain), but I agree with Eolivet, if 98% of the watching audience has no idea who the person is, and can't even offer a guess, maybe that person shouldn't be on the show.  (a person such as Thingamajig would never be considered for Dancing with the Stars, for example).

I disagree about the DwtS comment:  they have had tons of people I have never, ever heard of, from sports stars to You Tubers to Z list celebrities.  I do agree that the big reveal isn't so interesting when you have no clue who this person is. 

• Love 5

For some reason I remembered that NBA player Rick Fox was on DWTS once a while ago and the presumed Thingamajig is literally twice as good a player as Rick Fox was. All Star vs Role Player.

I know hundreds of NBA players but have no idea which ones can sing. Can Al Horford croon? No idea. 

I actually like Flamingo’s performances. Both last night and in general. Maybe I have no taste. 

• Love 2

When the judges mention certain singers, I'm clueless.  Maybe it's a generation thing, but I don't know the singers on Glee for the most part, or a member of a boy or girl band that my kids probably do know.  I have the same problem with DWTS.  I don't know many of those people.  I think we all come from different walks of life and we can be completely ignorant to different situations that don't touch our lives.  We take cruises and I often win the music trivia contests because I know the 60's, 70's, Motown and many other musical stars, but I admit, I'm not that up on music from the 90's and up.  Of course the really big names I do know.

I think they try to give all the viewers a chance to participate in these contests, hopefully not just the young" in the know" crowd.   If they are smart, they should know that many of us older people have more money to spend on their sponsors, and some ofd people still watch the commercials,  maybe because they don't know how to skip them...lol.

I only watched this show because of Thingamajig.  I guessed it was Vic with clues alone.  He's the best human around and if you read about him, he's the most giving person around, and I love seeing him doing what he does.  But, while watching him, I guessed Pattie LaBelle and I really think Wayne Brady and Seal are on this show.  We will see!!

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
34 minutes ago, icemiser69 said:

I always thought the goal was to have the winner be the best singer, not a straight up popularity contest, and definitely not some weird dynamic between a judge and Thingamajig.  If I want to see a popularity contest, I will go to my high school reunion and watch all of my old classmates line up like ducks in a row in the same old cliques, not realizing that those cliques were never relevant to begin with.  No thanks, not interested.

I am not watching this show for the incredibly obnoxious judges.

So yeah, if this isn't about the best singer winning, I don't see any point in watching.

I have no clue who had the bright idea of Nicole and Thingamajig possibly being an item.  Isn't she supposed to be neutral as a judge? 

The Nicole/Thingamajig thing is no different than the showmances on DWTS.  Nothing to see there.  I think it's a dumb idea to pretend, but whatever, that's reality tv. She did mention in one of the shows that Rottweiler was her favorite, so I doubt she cares that much.  Except, here we are talking about it, so mission accomplished

I would hope the best singer would win, although among my group of friends, we can't even agree on which singer is the best!  On voice alone, I like Rottweiller, but I could be happy with a few others.  There is no definitive best singer IMO.  Even among the greatest singers people can't agree.  I know people that hate Celine Dion's voice and others that go to see her shows many times.  It's all subjective.  I don't let the reality fake stuff bug me.  That's what reality tv is, just a bunch of made up stuff to keep us either mad, amused or interested,  I mean really, these judges are not the end all experts, and I really tune them out.  They are here for my amusement and that's all, so no big deal to me.

Edited by watcherwoman
  • Love 1
19 hours ago, watcherwoman said:

Thingamajic is an NBA all star that played with Orlando, the Thunder and the Pacers.  I think the casual sports fan would only know the superstars.   Anyone who really watches the sport and doesn't just rely on the over reporting of the New York or LA teams would definitely know Vic.  I doubt too many superstars would be doing this show, especially during the NBA season.  Vic is hurt, so he can have some fun and he loves to sing.  He's not going to win, but, it seems many fans do like the Thingamajig, and he has been an interesting contestant, for many reasons,  so it's  a win situation.  Besides, is the winner of the Masked Singer a big deal?  Lol...Pattie LaBelle was voted off, and winning this show hardly qualifies as life changing.   I just want to smile and be entertained and not take this show too seriously.

The show was filmed in July when more people are available from their regular gigs. 

• Love 1
49 minutes ago, Angeleyes said:

The show was filmed in July when more people are available from their regular gigs. 

Yes, I understand that, but it's a distraction to be asked about it during the season.  Vic has been asked many times about  being on the show,  but he's not playing yet because of his injury, so it isn't as much of a distraction.

• Love 1

I’ve been waiting all season for Thingamajig to sing “Someone Like You” because I thought of it as this season’s designated winner song like “Stay With Me” was for Monster last season.  Pleasantly shocked that it was given to Rottweiler.  He killed it.  Hope he wins.  

Leopard was decent for once on his song.  I would have sent Thingamajig home over the Tree, who was great.

• Love 2

For me, this is when Daughtry, I mean, the Rottweiler, won this season.

I've always liked him, but his take on "Someone You Loved" was exceptional.

And this said as a Wayne Brady/Fox fan. 

I could hear and feel the emotion in his voice. He sounded as if he was in tears a little bit of that and it's the most memorable performance of either season for me. 

• Love 2