Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E07: Deal with the Devil

Somebody makes a deal with the devil.  Probably.  Maybe.   (No Official Description)

In the midst of a chaotic day at the station, Oliver prepares Andy to defend herself at Duncan’s dismissal hearing, now happening two hours from now. But when Duncan produces new evidence that shifts all the blame to Andy, Oliver must decide if he’s willing to compromise his professional integrity – and his friendship with Andy – to save her career.

(edited)

Why is no one ever properly prepared for any kind of activity on this show, other than dressing up like a pretend whore, or Fite Nite? Everything's always last minute chaos and bad decisions in hours, where there should be weeks of preparation of testimony.

ETA: So, Dumb Duncan's eventually going to get someone killed, right?

Edited by Sandman
  • Love 1
ETA: So, Dumb Duncan's eventually going to get someone killed, right?

Or himself, he a tool so I'm hoping for that option.

Frosty is really starting to flounder, she's isolated and has zero storyline. I always thought if any of the original five quit it would be her, I almost wonder if that's what they building up to. Gail's a good cop but I feel like she only became one because she couldn't think of anything better to do. Eventually she is going to burn out because her hearts not really in it.

Although Diaz was floundering plenty last year and his is my favourite storyline this year. Dov's reaction to this was always going to be half the fun of the storyline I can't wait to see what happens next. TPTB seem to be really trying to underplay this which bodes well. Tracy seems like the natural chioce to find out next since she also seems to be on to Chris and shes always been Team Mom I wonder if that's not what Steve Peck is yelling at her about next week.

Oliver officially gave Chief O'brien a run for his money in the worst day ever competition this week. I liked his interaction with Andy even if he was a little harsh. His relationship with his daughter is adorable even she's kinda a brat.

That video was taken without Andy's permission no way any hearing allows it in any circumstance.so I was annoyed by that.

• Love 1
(edited)

I liked his interaction with Andy even if he was a little harsh. 

I don't think it was harsh at all. She screwed up. Majorly. She wasn't ready to lead someone in the slightest. It was partially his fault in the sense he got his personal friendship cloud the reality of the fact that Andy ISN'T the best cop and often lets her feelings cloud her judgment (aka any time she's working with Sam). In the end, he was protecting her job because he still believes she's a good cop, but she needs to know to not fudge paperwork since cops get called on that all the time.

I mean, he was harsh in the sense she got her feelings hurt, but he's her boss and now he has a cop on his force that WILL get someone killed (and working side by side with the TO he's charging, which seems will cause some stupid problems in the future, just like she shouldn't be able to work side by side with her boyfriend). I understand her point that she didn't want him to fail immediately, but still. I don't think she fully understood the TO-rookie relationship either.

The acting in the confrontation between Diaz and Dov seemed a bit forced on Diaz's side which ruined it for me. But I'm glad someone found out finally. There's only 5 episodes left in this half season and I don't know if anything has really happened to any of the characters beyond that. 

How quickly did Holly move on in order to be dating someone that exclusively? I never really know how much time has passed on this show, but i can't be more than 1-2 months. 

Edited by weightyghost
  • Love 2

Duncan's awful, he was an awful cop and now an awful human. He's going to get himself reinstated and then either get himself killed or someone else. Then Andy will be proven right. 

Andy screwed up, but so does lots of people. Ie Sam with how he handled the Marlo debacle but Sam doesn't get a talking down to.

• Love 3

> How quickly did Holly move on in order to be dating someone that exclusively? I never really know how much time has passed on this show, but i can't be more than 1-2 months.

Not unusual for lesbians, really. But I think Gail's admission that she was once again up a tree and causing chaos did affect Holly.

It's been long enough that Chris is becoming a pretty good druggie slacker.

Don't like Duncant. Unfortunately, it seems like he'll be back.

(edited)

Even though I think Dumb Duncan ("Duncan't," DropTheSoap? Hee!) is a liar and a piss-poor excuse for a cop, I'm persuaded that Andy is not a good TO. Is there some rule that Andy couldn't have given the guy feedback all along? Tell him you're marking him less harshly than maybe he deserves, just to give him a chance to correct his mistakes. He has less chance of being pissed off if you don't blindside him at the end of the ... year? Probationary period? Season?

And I have to say, Oliver's "defense" of Andy didn't make a lot of sense: if she's "the best ever," then opening up her record for further examination shouldn't be that bad. Oliver believes in her enough to say she's the best, but his behaviour doesn't bear that out, any more than hers does. And the union rep should have objected to the surreptiously taped conversation; he also could have argued that her emotional remarks about her own failings were not reliable evidence of her shortcomings as a TO.

Edited by Sandman
  • Love 2

I think Andy's performance was not really the one reason Oliver made the deal. It seemed pretty obvious that there was an increasing pressure on him to accept the job, and that his refusal might have had consequences. Like the inspector said, it's not advisable to make enemies in the upper ranks - especially as you step down.

Why would it be such a huge thing that they are taking Duncan back? He is an all-around fuck up. The next TO just has to write honest reports, and Duncan will be out on his ass soon enough.

We finally had Holly back, but she is dating someone else? Damn, show. Really? I can't with this storyline. That being said, she was right to call Gail on it for wanting to apologize only when they met because of professional reasons.

Andy screwed up, but so does lots of people. Ie Sam with how he handled the Marlo debacle but Sam doesn't get a talking down to.

Well he should have. I'm not happy with how that whole storyline was resolved either (Marlo just disappearing and Sam becoming God again simply because he got shot), but that doesn't mean Andy didn't deserve shit. 

If something happens with Duncan, Andy may be proven right but it is still partly her fault. If I screw up at my job because my supervisor didn't train me right, it is partially their fault. I may know I don't know what I'm doing, but there is pressure when you're starting a job. I know my job is not life-or-death like police work is, but if I wasn't trained right, if my supervisor knows I'm screwing up and doesn't discipline me, how do I understand the severity of it? And I hate defending Duncan, because I do think he's an idiot and should not be a cop, but there is blame outside of him. 

I also wonder if Oliver took the deal because he knows Andy's record isn't clean (being suspended after the Sam undercover situation). If it was opened up, Sam's TO work, and his own, could be put into question. 

• Love 1
(edited)

If something happens with Duncan, Andy may be proven right but it is still partly her fault. If I screw up at my job because my supervisor didn't train me right, it is partially their fault. I may know I don't know what I'm doing, but there is pressure when you're starting a job. I know my job is not life-or-death like police work is, but if I wasn't trained right, if my supervisor knows I'm screwing up and doesn't discipline me, how do I understand the severity of it? And I hate defending Duncan, because I do think he's an idiot and should not be a cop, but there is blame outside of him.

I don't like defending Duncan any more than you do, but this is a very relevant point. Andy didn't offer Duncan any real discipline, nor any instruction of substance, I don't think. As I recall, though, Oliver didn't really guide anyone's performance so much as tell Andy she screwed up after the fact (a lot.) Sam and Oliver were both, arguably, crap as TOs.

I also wonder if Oliver took the deal because he knows Andy's record isn't clean (being suspended after the Sam undercover situation). If it was opened up, Sam's TO work, and his own, could be put into question.

I think this must be part of it; there are a lot of rocks with a bunch of big worms under them in the story, including Andy's involvement in the Marlo story, if I remember right. I'm sure Oliver doesn't want all those rocks turned over in an ever-expanding professional standards investigation.

But why was the Inspector so insistent on getting Oliver to take the job? Was there one else? I could see turning down a promotion when one is offered as a seriously bad career move, but does it really serve the Inspector's interests to essentially blackmail Oliver into taking the job? (Then again, he pretty much blackmailed Best into leaving it, so ...)

Edited by Sandman
  • Love 1

I agree. As much as I hate Duncan and think he's a total screw up that shouldn't be a cop (although I imagine his step-dad and his stupid lawyer are a big part of the blaming here), Andy screwed up by falsifying the reports for five weeks. If it had been two weeks, ok fine, it's still her fault but I could chalk it up to her really wanting to give him a chance. But five weeks? And it takes Duncan freezing up and a life-and-death situation for her to finally speak up? That's on her, and I can see why Oliver gave her that talking to. Honestly, I see no fault in him being honest with Andy because she needs it majorly. He's right; she wasn't ready at all and I think he blames himself for giving her the job when she wasn't properly trained. Not everything can be easy, and training rookies should be handled with more care.

I think Oliver said that Andy was one of the best to save face, but he does know that Andy's screwed up a lot and at the end of the day, whatever happens is now on him and the division so he tried to nullify the situation by taking the job that he didn't want.

Why would it be such a huge thing that they are taking Duncan back? He is an all-around fuck up. The next TO just has to write honest reports, and Duncan will be out on his ass soon enough.

Because now there's a target on the division and Duncan. Let's say his next TO is more honest. Duncan's rep could easily say that they're trying to get the kid out of the job, just like Andy had done, so they're exaggerating the reports. Taking Duncan in, in my opinion, will be a hard thing because now they have to walk on eggshells when it comes to Duncan. They won't let him go that easily because of what Andy has done. If she hadn't have lied on the reports, Duncan probably would have just transferred to another division, at worst, and gotten fired and kicked out, at best. It's bad because now every little thing they do will be taken in a certain way. 

And the union rep should have objected to the surreptiously taped conversation; he also could have argued that her emotional remarks about her own failings were not reliable evidence of her shortcomings as a TO.

Also, wouldn't she have not been in the 'right frame of mind', so to speak? If she was drinking, she wouldn't be thinking clearly and I don't really know anything about laws and stuff, but couldn't you argue that she was coerced into saying those things and Duncan was taking advantage of her while she was possibly drinking? They're at a bar, for crying out loud, and it's clear that Andy had been there for a while and Duncan was coming to pay a tab. Like, I don't think you can get a confession that sticks when someone is not clear-headed or mentally aware of the situation so technically the tape should have been thrown out. 

But I get that they wanted to close the case that day so they had to make stupid decisions. Except that they were going to open up a formal investigation anyway.

• Love 1
(edited)

One of the things that bugs me is the way the show goes out of its way to tell us how great Andi is (both Oliver and Swarek have commented on it in recent eps) but when you look at Andi's actual work, there's no evidence for it. Sometimes she does her job which is hardly a significant accomplishment. Often, she screws up. Whatever she was trying to do for Duncan by filing false reports, she ultimately put him, herself and the public in jeopardy.

Somehow, I would be surprised if Duncan gets a big redemption arch because that would also be an "Andi is Amazing!" story. If Duncan dies, Andy, Oliver and the brass who wanted to protect Duncan all look like monumental jack asses. But if Duncan redeems himself then oh, it was amazing Andi who saw his potential and tried to protect him until he could reach it and OMG, he did reach it. Thanks, Andi, for having the foresight that everyone else lacked. It's now totally understandable why you falsified the training reports. You are so much more wise than every else. Dare I say, Best. Ever.

At the time he critiqued Andy, Oliver was being stressed in about 5 different directions. No surprise he wasn't at his most diplomatic.

And if he's going to keep wearing the white shirt he probably needs to focus a little less on being everyone's friend and a little more on being the boss. He can't just let his officers do whatever the hell they want. He had coached Andi on how to handle Duncan. She blew it. She didn't deserve kid gloves. But Oliver should also put some of the blame on himself. He let Andi talk him into letting her be the training officer. He knew she wasn't ready and he knew Duncan was going to be a challenging rookie to train. If he was going to let Andi train a rookie it needed to be a rookie who at least knew head from ass.

How quickly did Holly move on in order to be dating someone that exclusively? I never really know how much time has passed on this show, but i can't be more than 1-2 months.

Holly and Gail weren't dating for long. And I got the feeling, given the teary looking eyes, that Holly wasn't exactly happy to be saying "no" to Gail. I think Holly just wanted to protect herself. Gail is a professional at bailing. She said as much during one of her first encounters with Holly (that whole random "cat in a tree" analogy). Holly seems like a straight forward, no nonsense kind of person who doesn't want/need to caught up in immature drama. Gail, imo, needs to fix herself a little bit if she wants to be in a serious relationship. I wouldn't be surprised to see Holly give Gail a second chance. But given that this is a tv show there's sure to be plenty of ups and downs. That's the nature of couples that fans want to see together.

Frosty is really starting to flounder, she's isolated and has zero storyline. I always thought if any of the original five quit it would be her, I almost wonder if that's what they building up to. Gail's a good cop but I feel like she only became one because she couldn't think of anything better to do. Eventually she is going to burn out because her hearts not really in it.

To me it seems like Gail is finally in position to grow a little. In previous relationships she didn't seem invested enough to want to make positive changes in her own life. With Holly, she might actually want to me more emotionally healthy and it seems like the storyline with the woman who died in the apartment laundry room could help Gail get there. It was the first time Gail really did seem to be impacted by the job and the writers gave Oliver explicit dialog stating it would make Gail a better cop. Holly being the ME gives her more than one way of being involved with the show and she gives Gail more story too.

Edited by wagthedog

And if Holly and Gail do continue to have a storyline together, which seems likely, at least Frosty will be in some kind of relationship outside the squad, more or less.

I agree that Oliver let Andy twist his arm into letting her be a TO, but did he have reason to know that Dumb Duncan would be a challenging rookie to train? Are you thinking of his relationship to the Superintendent?

Yes, Oliver knowing Duncan's family connections is, imo, the first part of it. But also, Andi expressed reservations about Duncan almost immediately which gave Oliver a second opportunity to have someone else train Duncan. Instead, even thought it was clear Oliver had doubts about letting Andi train Duncan, Oliver still let Andi convince him twice that she could do it.

I don't know, I suppose there is something to be said for a boss who is willing to give someone like Andi a bit of a stretch assignment, but part of the judgment has to be putting Andi in a situation where her chances for success are good. This seems like it was a failure waiting to happen.

Still, I think the whole thing is  in character for Andi and Oliver. Andi never seems to know what she's in over her head and she's such a pleaser that she'll make questionable choices to try to help someone out, even at her own expense. Oliver said from the get go that he's a blue shirt, not a white shirt. Yes, his officers will love him because he's a good guy who has their backs but they may actually get bad results when Oliver is too soft. Goes to show that I guy like Frank Best plays a pivotal role. Even when the squad doesn't like what Frank decides, it may actually be the best thing for everyone.

Dov covering for Chris should end as badly as Andy covering for Duncan. Someone has to decide these people are adults, in a dangerous profession where accountability is crucial. But they're all a bunch of co-dependents, and it's exhausting to watch them spiral down the same avoidable angsty paths over and over again.

I was glad Holly didn't just take Gail back. Gail needs to grow up. I actually thought Holly's friends were very rude to Gail the night Gail walked out, and that it wasn't unreasonable for her to walk out at that moment. But if Holly called many times and Gail wouldn't even talk with her about what happened, then yes-- that's where it becomes a dealbreaker kind of walking out. Whether Holly actually is or isn't seeing someone else, she shut the conversation down by saying she was, and I was relieved because it really put Gail in her place: Gail is fond of roiling in her own stagnant pain and Holly is not going to wait around while she does it, or join her in it. So Gail has to get a grip and be a grown up if she wants a shot at an adult relationship, and stop playing games and thinking she can take her time and string people along like she's done in the past when she wasn't fully invested and was kind of enjoying having the upper hand and stringing someone along and being withholding.

I hated Oliver's bratty daughter and was sorry he apologized to her. She needs to realize that he has things to do at work, and just freaking wait her turn. It's not that much to ask. It's not like she's 5 years old. Tracy's kid is better behaved at half her age.

• Love 1

I hope Duncan gets his father nearly killed.  That would be poetic justice and the only way to get him out of there.  But yeah, as it stands, he's radioactive.  If you say anything bad about him, it must be a lie to try and get him fired.....Hopefully we won't see much of him in that mode.  It would be unwatcheable TV for me.

• Love 1

Holly is back, and I was wondering that she said she is dating again when Gail tries to apologize. But maybe that was a kinda defense mechanism and she may not be serious about someone but it would get back at Gail for breaking it off and then not saying a word. But in that amount of time she must not have seen her at work either. Gail telling Holly that she is a brat and self destructive and that Holly is the most wonderful person she ever met! This seemed to soften Holly to at least be friends again.

Zoe dropping Izzy on Oliver was a bit harsh, yes she has to work, but so is he. Storming the school meeting in only undies and ski mask was strange and was not part of the talking to. Unless Zoe did it on way to precinct house?? The line to Dov that she would eat him for dinner was funny. Gail should have controlled her but she was bored too and Holly kinda distracted her. And I love how Oliver uses last names, PECK, EPSTEIN, etc. And him telling Andy not to call him Oliver was great. I do miss Frank and Noelle, but it seems Oliver in charge is working. He brings more of a father, or everyman feeling to the job. I hope Frank and Noelle aren't gone forever, but it looks more and more like it.

Izzy making her dad the Wicked CD 5 years ago and then going for cheese burgers at end was great for them both. But Oliver's gf Celery seemed to have been performing a Vitality ritual in his home and he had no idea, but we will talk ! lol That is what threw off Izzy to have a fit.

It seemed like it was Oliver that moved the hearing up, when Superintendent Helen Brooks thanks him for it.

I figured that Andy would tell Oliver about her going easy on Duncan. In the hearing to me it seemed that his lawyer Sharon Kaplan when she spoke was a cross between Duncan's school mate and a Kardashian ,lol But she showed Barry Bradley how to handle the job. Andy lieing about the meeting at the Penny and then Duncan having it on tape was not good at all. I think Andy trying to say most of it was her fault was to try and smooth things over but it didn't work. And with Oliver letting him back in and doing their own investigation will definitely have Duncan and Andy on desk duty and things will happen. But we missed seeing his Step Dad, the Commissioner. Must be they didn't have a person to play him yet?? At least Inspector John Jarvis made an appearance, almost forcing Oliver to keep his job. Andy thought Oliver sold her out. You could see everything was really making Oliver's nerves frazzled. When he was told they pinged Izzy's cell, and he replied why didn't I think of that it was funny. But he was near his wits end.

COTW, The fire bombing of a building in little Italy was a problem. "Little Mario" Mario Grassi Jr. it seems had his finger cut off in a meat cutter accident. It was great how Sam in interrogation analyzed how Jr. lost his finger. Seems fire bomber suspect and Mario Sr. brown noser Vincenzo "Vinny the Quiter" Pizzuti cut off jr finger and forced Jr gf to forget she saw him fire bomb the place. Vinny got the nick name because he gave up smoking. Father and owner of the Restaurant, Mario Grassi was funny. But he did the right thing when Sam and Traci put the evidence in front of him. Maybe we can see him again? I am surprised that Vinny just threw the finger in the trash? Why not flush it, or feed it to the neighborhood dog?? But then it would have been harder to put Vinny away. Chloe thinking it was a penis was funny.

Chris was MIA at the precinct. Dov covered for him even though she could not reach him. Good buddy. It was funny how Oliver didn't say anything about Dov saying Chris was sick on meds, and other Officer said he was sick and throwing up. If he didn't have so much going on I bet he would have checked into it himself. Dov like the nice buddy he is goes to take Chris's truck home and finds a packet of Coke on the floor. Poor Chloe who had been playing in the Diner trash all day with Nick and it is her birthday is looking for Dov. She did receive a box and it turns out to be from Wes. Breakfast club Video, jiffy pop popcorn and a card. "Neo Maxi Zoom Dweebi" love Wes. Now Dov goes to Chris's and finds him playing Poker on his tablet. I thought with Chris being paranoid that he was gambling too, but nope he had coke under some papers. Chris said: " I'm not a junkie criminal!" and Dov's reply, " NO, your a cop!" It may sink in ,I don't know. I would have thought with Jamie the Dealer being grabbed and all that he would have been more careful. Especially since last episode he was fine. So what will they do? Dov won't tell Chloe and she will get mad at him and move closer to Wes. Will they be broke up before Chloe finds out that Dov was trying to help Chris and his drug problem?

I did like seeing at end Nick on the stationary Bike and Andy shooting hoops. Even though I coy at first confused, out of uniform and though it was Chloe shooting hoops and Nick coming in to see her. But the 1 on 1 with Sam was cool. She was beat by a rookie earlier.

Edited by webruce