Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E03: Chaos is the New Cocaine

• Start Topic

I am really enjoying the show so far. It is a bit like Newsroom from a few years back. I like the layers of communication and strategy going on.

It is funny with all the star power, Billy Crudup is the most enjoyable to watch on the show so far, he is doing a really good job as an Exec that is the only one having a good time with the chaos which he admits to on the show.

• Like 1
  • Love 13

I'm enjoying the show as well... I love the newsroom stuff.. I like Bradley... I'm loving Billy crudup... I do wish the show woulda done a better job of showing how the higher ups have screwed over Alex... because  when she blew it all up and then gave her speech that was supposed to be an apology I just felt like she was being a jerk.. And I think they were aiming for powerful... I did feel for all the other reporters who got passed over..  I'm interested in mitch's story as well.. 

• Love 7
14 minutes ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

Episode 3 was amazing.  I don't know what critics aren't liking.  Jennifer's scenes, all of them, and the one with Steve Carell and Martin Short - wow.  

Stevens face when Martin was going over what he'd done... And Martin being so oblivious... Smh

• Like 1
  • Love 14

I don't think I have ever seen Martin Short play skeevy. And Oh My God. He nailed it. 

The look on Mitch's face as he clocked what Martin Short was saying....

I like this show. The first episode was a bit shouty, lots of angry people, but got me hooked. 

That bit in the office, where the PR/manager clicked the button to lock the door, is apparently based on a real life issue. Might have been Matt Lauer.

The whole me too movement is very interesting to me,  (I have my own experiences) and I expect as the show goes on, we will begin to see that everyone knew, at some level what was going on. They always do.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 9
On 11/3/2019 at 8:13 AM, UNOSEZ said:

I'm enjoying the show as well... I love the newsroom stuff.. I like Bradley... I'm loving Billy crudup... I do wish the show woulda done a better job of showing how the higher ups have screwed over Alex... because  when she blew it all up and then gave her speech that was supposed to be an apology I just felt like she was being a jerk.. And I think they were aiming for powerful... I did feel for all the other reporters who got passed over..  I'm interested in mitch's story as well.. 

I think she was reacting to their intention to fire her. Remember Mitch mentioned that to her. She said she didn't believe him, but I think she did. She could tell they were dragging their feet on renewing her contract, and then they sat this woman she did not like or respect at her table. It was all a power move on Billy Crudup's part to make her squirm.  So when she lashed out of them, it was a reaction to all this. I enjoyed it. I like how she was basically saying, "Nice try! Think you're going to take me out that easily? Try again."

I'm really liking Jennifer Aniston in this role. I've never see her like this. I also appreciate Billy Crudup's performance, although gosh he is bloodless. I don't really like Reese Witherspoon's character. I find her obnoxious and it's just error to say her character is a conservative. That anti-coal speech she gave was liberalism at its finest, not conservatism. If they want to accurately represent conservatism, then the show needs at least one writer who understands it. I don't think they have that person. 

Edited by Sweet-tea
  • Like 1
  • Love 12
2 hours ago, Sweet-tea said:

I think she was reacting to their intention to fire her. Remember Mitch mentioned that to her. She said she didn't believe him, but I think she did. She could tell they were dragging their feet on renewing her contract, and then they sat this woman she did not like or respect at her table. It was all a power move on Billy Crudup's part to make her squirm.  So when she lashed out of them, it was a reaction to all this. I enjoyed it. I like how she was basically saying, "Nice try! Think you're going to take me out that easily? Try again."

I'm really liking Jennifer Aniston in this role. I've never see her like this. I also appreciate Billy Crudup's performance, although gosh he is bloodless. I don't really like Reese Witherspoon's character. I find her obnoxious and it's just error to say her character is a conservative. That anti-coal speech she gave was liberalism at its finest, not conservatism. If they want to accurately represent conservatism, then the show needs at least one writer who understands it. I don't think they have that person. 

I guess for me.. Her speech talked about how they couldn't even fathom someone else being in charge and making decisions.. Which to be fair is their job.. But the way she framed it.. Made me think that sometime in the past they overruled her or had her do things she was really against.. Didnt listen to her advice etc... But over the three episodes I didn't see any of that..  I saw a power struggle between execs and a star.. So it was a bit of a disconnect... Cause even tho I'm 1000000%  sure that the older exec guy is an ass.. What the did just selecting Bradley in front of the world.. Was a big deal... Something that you should prob apologize for... And if not to them... Definitely to the other anchors and producers... 

As for Bradley James.. I believe its her network that was conservative.. So the belief by some of the morning show ppl was that she was this stereotypical blonde conservative beauty queen type.. But in actuality she's probably more down the middle.. Which ahe pointed out when ahe was trying on clothes.. Saying some said ahe was too this or too that... and later in one of the episodes Billy crudup's character calls her a libertarian... Or says she's more libertarian than conservative... She reminds me of my friends who agree with me like 65% of the time but still say they're center left or center right... 

• Love 1
On 11/4/2019 at 8:14 PM, Ms Blue Jay said:

I thought both Steve and Martin's acting in that was great.

Martin Short blew me away. That was an incredible scene on a few levels. Wow. Also can’t ignore Steve’s insanely nuanced performance in that scene. 

I think this could be my favorite Aniston role. The character is so weird, complex, flawed and unlikable, but I’m rooting for her, heh. The power of the Aniston. 

• Like 1
  • Love 15
On 11/9/2019 at 8:23 AM, Stiggs said:

Martin Short blew me away. That was an incredible scene on a few levels. Wow. Also can’t ignore Steve’s insanely nuanced performance in that scene. 

It was fascinating to watch them go from being on the "same side" so to speak to watch Mitch processing what Martin Short's character was saying and slowly backing away and trying to distinguish himself from him. 

• Like 1
  • Love 13
On 11/9/2019 at 8:23 AM, Stiggs said:

I think this could be my favorite Aniston role. The character is so weird, complex, flawed and unlikable, but I’m rooting for her, heh. The power of the Aniston. 

This is absolutely the finest Aniston performance. She's got so many layers to everything she's doing, and she's managing to chew the scenery while also nail the quiet emotional moments...it's very impressive. 

I feel like it took me until the middle of episode 2 to really get into the show-ep 1 was too much setup for me, but somehow ep 2 ended and I stayed up to watch ep 3 because I was so. damn. hooked. 

• Like 1
  • Love 9
On 11/9/2019 at 5:23 AM, Stiggs said:

think this could be my favorite Aniston role. The character is so weird, complex, flawed and unlikable, but I’m rooting for her, heh. The power of the Aniston. 

Totally agree. Her performance in Cake is one of my faves, too. 

• Love 3

Three episodes in and I still can’t with Bradley/Reese. Firstly she’s too Mary Sue.  One minute she’s all shy and scared of Alex. Next minute she’s all feisty and everyone is going on about her raw talent. Every scene with her and Billy Crudup is like something out of a romcom.

Half it is in Reeses performance. She’s too accomplished an actress. I think Bradley would have been better played by a lesser Known name. She can’t carry off the the softer side of the character. the fact that she’s constantly screaming and ranting doesn’t help. 

Edited by Avabelle
  • Love 1

I have no one to root for on this show. Jennifer Aniston & Reese Witherspoon need much better writing and direction. 

Their conversations are so stilted and phony.   Jennifer Aniston is not a good enough actress to carry this show, and Reese acts like she has no idea what her character's motivation is. Like someone else said, one minute she's terrified and the next minute she's telling off the president of the News division.   If someone showed me that high neck blouse and sweater and told me to wear it on air, I'd laugh in their face.   

Aniston's character seems like she's in the middle of a nervous breakdown all the time.   Her ex husband seems like a decent guy.  Maybe she should just quit if she knows they don't want her and don't value her talent. 

No one in their right mind would blurt out they had an abortion at 15 on national television.  And her mother?  If I was watching an actual show that pulled that stunt I'd turn it off and never watch again.  And no network would put up with talent announcing at a public event that some rando person was going to co anchor their morning news show.  I think this show was sold on the strength of name recognition of the three stars. As corny as The Newsroom was, it's ten times better than this.  Jeff Daniels character was supposed  to be an asshole who was actually a pretty good guy.  He has the talent and with Sorkin's writing you could actually like him.  If Aniston is the female version of that, it's not happening. 

Please stop with the extreme close ups in the dark of their faces when the alarm goes off.  We all know they get up in the middle of the night. 

Is that Sherri Belafonte playing the floor manager?