Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E06: Chestnut Gardens

When Matthew Chestnut returns to Cattleman's Ranch, everyone but Louis agrees that he's a bad influence, leaving it up to the unlikely team of Jessica, Eddie and Trent to help take him down. While that goes down at the Ranch, Emery and Evan cruise the open water with Marvin and give him a crash course in feminism and etiquette.

Original air date: 11/1/19

They did the "Yeah" tune right at the start, so that makes five out of six episodes that it's been featured in.  Makes me wonder if it got left on the cutting room floor in the other one.

Trent taking up Eddie's role in his "acting" was kind of funny, if preposterous.  

Nice that Jessica wasn't being annoying this episode.

I wonder if this "Louis trying to find his passion" storyline is going somewhere?  Is he going to become a business consultant, and stick at that?  Maybe even abandon Cattleman's, or leave Chestnut (or Trent) to run it? 

50 minutes ago, rmontro said:

Nice that Jessica wasn't being annoying this episode.

I found her to be her typical annoying asshole self trying to manipulate those around her to do what she thinks is best even if it’s against their wishes.

Nothing we have ever seen from Honey made the “twist” to the Marvin story seem at all realistic and felt like they sacrificed her character for no apparent reason.

• Useful 1
  • Love 6
1 hour ago, biakbiak said:

I found her to be her typical annoying asshole self trying to manipulate those around her to do what she thinks is best even if it’s against their wishes.

Well, I guess you have a point, she did want to get rid of Chestnut behind Louis' back.

Also agree that Honey's "sexism" was out of nowhere.

• Love 1
7 hours ago, rmontro said:

They did the "Yeah" tune right at the start, so that makes five out of six episodes that it's been featured in.  Makes me wonder if it got left on the cutting room floor in the other one.

Which one wasn’t it in? I had been noticing it as well, even before reading the other posts that talked about it, and I was sure it had been in all of them this season. 

2 hours ago, Scott said:

Which one wasn’t it in? I had been noticing it as well, even before reading the other posts that talked about it, and I was sure it had been in all of them this season. 

I believe it was missing in episode four, "S'mothered".

Characterizing Honey as sexist isn't totally out of left field. She's a beautiful young trophy wife, who does seem to have relied her looks and femininity quite a bit. I'd expect a character like her to have significant internalized sexism.

However, the way they wrote her berating Marvin was definitely over the top. That was like 4 obnoxiously gendered insults in a matter of a few seconds! She's much kinder than that.

And despite what the boys took away, it certainly was not ALL coming from Honey. I'm sure Marvin brought his fair share into that relationship. He just found a partner who doesn't mind, and in fact agrees with him! At least some of the time.

Edited by snarktini
  • Love 6

I frankly don't know why he is here at all. Especially if somebody like Chestnut manipulates your son to do something against their will to dance, I think Jessica would like to have a long talk with Louis about that friendship. 

• Useful 1
18 hours ago, snarktini said:

Characterizing Honey as sexist isn't totally out of left field. She's a beautiful young trophy wife, who does seem to have relied her looks and femininity quite a bit. I'd expect a character like her to have significant internalized sexism.

Actually to me it is out of left field because the reason she and Jessica bonded is because she was just as left out of the group of neighborhood women as Jessica because that’s all they saw her as and she wasn’t that at all but a kind and sweet woman who loved her husband and reached out to Jessica who was also alone. 

• Love 3

Honey being super sexist comes right the hell out of left field, and while I can imagine she might have some internalized gender stereotypes, she is also a very kind and charming person, I cant imagine her throwing out like thirty gendered insults right in a row towards Marvin. Just super weird. 

So are we going somewhere with Louis needing to find a new passion in life? This was an alright episode, but none of it really ended well. Eddie and Trent were a highlight.

• Love 3

I noticed that this season Jessica made an increasing amount of references to Jenny's upcoming death. With only 9 episodes to go before it's all over forever, I do wonder if there will be an episode where Grandma dies and Louis has to deal with that while Jessica tries to support him but is secretly laughing on the inside.

• Useful 1
10 hours ago, Harvey said:

I noticed that this season Jessica made an increasing amount of references to Jenny's upcoming death. With only 9 episodes to go before it's all over forever, I do wonder if there will be an episode where Grandma dies and Louis has to deal with that while Jessica tries to support him but is secretly laughing on the inside.

I really hope not!  I only just started watching and my favorite scenes are those with Grandma, as well as the kids.

• Love 2