Type keyword(s) to search

And The Golden Arrow Goes To...: Awards, Nominations, and Recognition

statsgirl
  • Start Topic

6 minutes ago, kismet said:

I get devotion to a character, but honestly I don't understand the need to cheat or devote hours voting. The only way there is that big of a gain in 24hrs is either some overly devoted fans or bots. Either way if it helps people sleep better than I say let it be.

I sort of get it if you're allowed to vote more than once. But this isn't the sort of poll where you vote more than once which is clear considering the hoops you have to jump through in order to vote again.

Just now, Ceylon5 said:

Actually BC jumped 11000 votes since yesterday, nearly tripling her vote count.  So clearly this poll allows multiple votes from one person (which I was already suspecting yesterday when the figures for Barry and Felicity increased quite rapidly) and is therefore essentially worthless.  Pity, I thought it was one of those that gave a true reflection of things by only letting people vote once.  Polls where you can vote multiple times are just a reflection of the fanbases' dedication, not a true reflection of actual popularity.

And, of course, Felicity and Felicity fans are being blamed for the dodgy BC numbers, because everything is always Felicity's fault these days.

Lol that just makes it more fishy. And how can FS fans be blamed for the dodgy BC numbers? That makes no sense

• Love 1
4 minutes ago, wonderwall said:

I sort of get it if you're allowed to vote more than once. But this isn't the sort of poll where you vote more than once which is clear considering the hoops you have to jump through in order to vote again.

Didn't realize that. I've been able to vote three times for OQ out of boredom, coincidentally I've been on a different computer each time, forgot about that. Oops. Regardless, a very devoted fanbase is getting those numbers up somehow. Honestly, I've lost interest with figuring out how or why.

I used to be a diehard online voter, but I've reached a level of fatigue with so many of these polls. And seeing jumps like this, doesn't encourage me to get back into it.

You know how when kids are fighting and the parent comes in and glares at them and both kids say "She started it!" pointing at each other?  Well, I think that's what's going on here.  It's silly, because I suspect there were fans of Barry, Felicity, Oliver and Laurel who were all voting multiple times from the beginning, otherwise the votes for those characters wouldn't have been so disproportional (Supergirl's numbers are probably a more realistic reflection of actual individual votes).  Blaming Felicity's fans specifically is just a knee-jerk reaction at this point.

2 minutes ago, Ceylon5 said:

You know how when kids are fighting and the parent comes in and glares at them and both kids say "She started it!" pointing at each other?  Well, I think that's what's going on here.  It's silly, because I suspect there were fans of Barry, Felicity, Oliver and Laurel who were all voting multiple times from the beginning, otherwise the votes for those characters wouldn't have been so disproportional (Supergirl's numbers are probably a more realistic reflection of actual individual votes).  Blaming Felicity's fans specifically is just a knee-jerk reaction at this point.

Well that just makes it NOT fun to vote... Of course it's the Felicity fans' fault. *rolls eyes*

Anyways I'm over it. Black Canary is dead and 1 poll won't change that so I win in the end :)

• Love 4

It's interesting.  I think if the story had remained exactly as it is, but no-one had really ever talked much about Felicity or given a crap about her in previous seasons, then no-one would be complaining about her storyline now either.  The backlash seems less about Felicity and more about her popularity, which is why a lot of the anger is directed at her fans, both in Arrow's creative team, cast and crew and in the audience.  The more popular and talked about someone is, the more they're resented and the more disproportionate is the backlash against them.  That's why people don't complain particularly about, say, Thea - she's just sort of there, and hardly anyone is getting either especially excited or annoyed by her, as people are mostly pretty apathetic about her.

All this is only an on-line phenomenon, though, and I actually don't think the on-line views of shows with passionate fan-bases are necessarily that predictive of the views of the general audience, because it does often end up being more of a bun-fight between viewing factions, rather than a genuine response to a story or a character.  The bulk of the viewers are casual viewers who will continue to like what they like, without anyone else's opinions colouring their views one way or the other.

• Love 12

I'm always half fascinated, half terrified of folks who spend considerable time and create actual volume of content about hating a piece of superfluous consumer entertainment. I mean, I do get the thing about finding online spaces where people share your ideas, and you feel like you belong, and you feel like your voice matters, because others echo your points of view. I understand clearly how powerful the feel of community/hivemind fandom spaces can have, how it nurtures creativity, how it often feels like a safe place that you might not have mirrored in real life. How it can translate into real life relationships. I met some of my best friends because they liked some TV show I also liked, and then we figured out we had other stuff in common.

And I do completely get the thing that happens when you love a TV show, and you feel like that TV show pooped on your head, and you start hating it. I've felt like I was betrayed by creatives a bunch of times before. But what I don't understand is the part where instead of rage-quitting and disengaging, you keep creating online content about it, except now it's hateful, towards the creatives, and towards the people who still enjoy the piece of superfluous entertainment you don't like anymore. That really makes me brain go bzuhhhhhwhat?

• Love 17
4 hours ago, Ceylon5 said:

It's interesting.  I think if the story had remained exactly as it is, but no-one had really ever talked much about Felicity or given a crap about her in previous seasons, then no-one would be complaining about her storyline now either.  The backlash seems less about Felicity and more about her popularity, which is why a lot of the anger is directed at her fans, both in Arrow's creative team, cast and crew and in the audience.  The more popular and talked about someone is, the more they're resented and the more disproportionate is the backlash against them.  That's why people don't complain particularly about, say, Thea - she's just sort of there, and hardly anyone is getting either especially excited or annoyed by her, as people are mostly pretty apathetic about her.

I mostly agree with this.  I think there still would've been complaints about her Oliver's love-related storyline because it deviates from the GA/BC "because comics" storyline. However, I agree that her popularity is a big factor.  This should've been expected, I guess. It happens all the time with celebrities.  Someone gets famous and put up on a pedestal as someone universally adored - and then they get knocked down and criticized (example: Jennifer Lawrence). 

There's also the element of making Felicity into more of a complex, three-dimensional character (and not just a 2-D comic relief/IT support character).  Now we know her flaws and weaknesses and there's something to criticize.  The same thing will happen with Curtis as we learn more about him. No one is perfect, so unless a character remains cartoony, we'll find out both their good traits and their bad traits.

I was trying to think of the right term, but the only phrases I can think of are "familiarity breeds contempt" and the "tall poppy syndrome" - neither of which is exactly right.

• Love 7
(edited)
8 hours ago, BkWurm1 said:

Somehow BC is now three thousand ahead of both Felicity and Barry. 

LOL. I saw this last night. This poll has been running since May 12th. How can you go from around 6000 votes since May 12th and then jump to 16000 in one day? Clear your browser history and vote again. 

How sad. Too much time on their hands.

Edited by Angel12d
  • Love 2
(edited)
6 hours ago, dtissagirl said:

I'm always half fascinated, half terrified of folks who spend considerable time and create actual volume of content about hating a piece of superfluous consumer entertainment. I mean, I do get the thing about finding online spaces where people share your ideas, and you feel like you belong, and you feel like your voice matters, because others echo your points of view. I understand clearly how powerful the feel of community/hivemind fandom spaces can have, how it nurtures creativity, how it often feels like a safe place that you might not have mirrored in real life. How it can translate into real life relationships. I met some of my best friends because they liked some TV show I also liked, and then we figured out we had other stuff in common.

And I do completely get the thing that happens when you love a TV show, and you feel like that TV show pooped on your head, and you start hating it. I've felt like I was betrayed by creatives a bunch of times before. But what I don't understand is the part where instead of rage-quitting and disengaging, you keep creating online content about it, except now it's hateful, towards the creatives, and towards the people who still enjoy the piece of superfluous entertainment you don't like anymore. That really makes me brain go bzuhhhhhwhat?

I feel like I dabbled in this with Smallville.  I did rage quit after season 8 but I couldn't just let it go.  I kept track of my favorite characters and was lured back halfway through season 9 and in season ten I watched certain episodes, probably about half the episodes.  And I was on line the whole time, still talking about what went wrong and why what was on air wasn't working and the missed opportunities and how much I was annoyed with the spineless showrunners that took over and ignored the past 8 years of characterization. 

I'm sure I sent hate toward Lois's character and after the "neener, neener I win in the end" comment from the actress, I wasn't much a fan of her either.  I didn't spend time ripping on her personally but I did complain about her acting choices and her very grating voice a lot. 

I would have loved if the show got canceled after the 9th season and I was thrilled when the ratings fell between the 8th and 9th season. 

But I guess I feel justified because one, my character was still on the show two, I had eight years of the show being written one way before light switch time, and three, even though the narrative path the show clearly planned to take wasn't one I enjoyed, the show still kept writing things that opened paths to undo it (which was excellent Fanfiction fix fodder) 

I also don't think I was ever as unreasoning and vicious in my complaints about the characters I didn't like and usually I only went to those places to rebut things said about my favorites. 

Edited by BkWurm1
19 minutes ago, BkWurm1 said:

I feel like I dabbled in this with Smallville.  I did rage quit after season 8 but I couldn't just let it go.  I kept track of my favorite characters and was lured back halfway through season 9 and in season ten I watched certain episodes, probably about half the episodes.  And I was on line the whole time, still talking about what went wrong and why what was on air wasn't working and the missed opportunities and how much I was annoyed with the spineless showrunners that took over and ignored the past 8 years of characterization. 

I'm sure I sent hate toward Lois's character and after the "neener, neener I win in the end" comment from the actress, I wasn't much a fan of her either.  I didn't spend time ripping on her personally but I did complain about her acting choices and her very grating voice a lot. 

I would have loved if the show got canceled after the 9th season and I was thrilled when the ratings fell between the 8th and 9th season. 

But I guess I feel justified because one, my character was still on the show two, I had eight years of the show being written one way before light switch time, and three, even though the narrative path the show clearly planned to take wasn't one I enjoyed, the show still kept writing things that opened paths to undo it (which was excellent Fanfiction fix fodder) 

I also don't think I was ever as unreasoning and vicious in my complaints about the characters I didn't like and usually I only went to those places to rebut things said about my favorites. 

...That sounds completely nightmarish to me. I totally get being insanely involved with media and its fandom -- I go a bit too obsessed if I start creating fannish content, every time. But I can't stay with a show if there aren't things in it I truly really enjoy -- and lbr, 99% of the time it's a 'ship. If the 'ship doesn't go my way, I'm out so fast you can call me Barry. No matter how many ~years of my life~ I dedicated to it.

I've been actually thinking a lot about the idea of being a "true fan", and I don't think I've ever been one. That's just not for me. It requires a level of fidelity to an entertainment piece that I'm not willing to give, especially in open-ended serialized narratives. Showrunners get fired, actors leave, network orders change, and I'm always aware that any and all those things can make me change my mind about a show. Every episode I love can be the last episode I love. It's the only way I can engage -- to crazy fangirls levels of obsession, even -- but I'm forever aware it can go away at anytime.

• Love 4
5 minutes ago, dtissagirl said:

...That sounds completely nightmarish to me. I totally get being insanely involved with media and its fandom -- I go a bit too obsessed if I start creating fannish content, every time. But I can't stay with a show if there aren't things in it I truly really enjoy -- and lbr, 99% of the time it's a 'ship. If the 'ship doesn't go my way, I'm out so fast you can call me Barry. No matter how many ~years of my life~ I dedicated to it.

It was a nightmare and one I was truly traumatized by for many years.  I don't think I'm completely over it despite the show having been off the air of at least four years. Smallville took ship teasing to incredible heights.  The structure of the show made it possible for me to keep on watching even after I knew they'd finally picked their pony because despite that fact, they still wrote in moments that basically kept supporting my ship...even right before a wedding.  Even DURING the freaking wedding and they by derailing the wedding and jumping seven years in the future and revealing that, nope, still no wedding!  I've never watched something before that did anything like that.  It wouldn't let me go. 

It didn't help that Smallville had Clark mooning after Lana from day one and yet it was always clear that Lana wasn't end game and at the same time, they introduced into the love triangle a character that IMO was a great fit for the character that traditionally would be end game.  And they kept the fans on both sides going and then four years in they added in yet another character to start get ship teased but for several years despite the name attached to the character, wrote her in a way that seemed to say that nope, she wouldn't be end game either so I thought I was watching this complex, layered show with long term plans and an big twist or reveal coming. 

So I had watched it the whole time not liking the current pairing but patiently waiting for my payoff to come because ON ANY OTHER SHOW the hints and the looks and the dialogue they kept handing out to my ship would mean at the very least a romantic relationship and from my experience, the end game one.  But the original show runners got pushed out after the seventh season and by the eight season the new ones tried to drive a huge wedge between my ship (and made Lana literally poison, lol) and then light switched the remaining pairing.  Yet because it was done in such an inorganic way, it was hard not to still see it as just another thing to sit patiently through to get to my good stuff (even though I knew better) and even the writing played with that, creating moments that seemed to imply a world of meaning (mostly because the character had great chemistry and a really solid history) and a better ending IMO.

So I watched knowing they'd made one choice but still seeing the other one there on the screen.  Every time I thought I had escaped they'd pull me back in.  They played mind games and really messed with my head. 

In the case of Arrow, I don't think the show played the same games.  I don't think there was any ship teasing.  I think it was pretty clear in the signals it was sending out.  Smallville was IMO the reverse of Arrow.  Smallville's end game happened IMO pretty much because the comics said so, not because they'd written the characters as being good fits or even bothered to write why they were supposed to have feelings for one another (just that they suddenly did) while on Arrow the only reason to think Oliver and Laurel might be together was because of the comics. 

I've been actually thinking a lot about the idea of being a "true fan", and I don't think I've ever been one. That's just not for me. It requires a level of fidelity to an entertainment piece that I'm not willing to give, especially in open-ended serialized narratives. Showrunners get fired, actors leave, network orders change, and I'm always aware that any and all those things can make me change my mind about a show. Every episode I love can be the last episode I love. It's the only way I can engage -- to crazy fangirls levels of obsession, even -- but I'm forever aware it can go away at anytime.

I've come to the conclusion that the idea of a "true fan" doesn't apply in most cases, that it's a myth or just a term everyone bends to their purposes.  I'll say the only definition of a true fan applies to say a sports team that they root for no matter what.  But for any other kind of entertainment there are too many variable and moving parts and often multiple versions so it's impossible to point to one thing over the other as proof of "true fan" status.  There are probably really generic fans that like anything to do with a something but that doesn't IMO make them truer than the more discriminating fans. 

• Love 1
(edited)
2 minutes ago, Velocity23 said:

Its surprising that TCA is nominating Danielle Panabaker instead of Candice Patton.

Yup... That's complete garbage, imo. 

CP is generally a better actress and seemingly more popular in the Flash

Edited by wonderwall
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, Velocity23 said:

Its surprising that TCA is nominating Danielle Panabaker instead of Candice Patton.

How much did the twitter fan voting play a part? 

6 minutes ago, tarotx said:

How much did the twitter fan voting play a part? 

Not as much as fans think they do. IIRC, there were nominees last year that weren't even close to getting the top votes. TCA producers will select based on who they think will bother showing up and who the network/studio want to promote. 

• Love 2

SA is in his mid30s and looks good but looks it. Im not surprised the teen contigent or PR that sells to young people might have chosen other hotter younger stars. Plus he skews older with his social media behavior & his love of being a Dad everywhere on/off the show. 

My best friend's step daughter is in high school and has been watching Arrow for years. And I asked her about SA once and she said yeah he was hot for people like me (her Dads age). He's cool but it was clear that he was an older option. She loves the show but SA is not the whole or main reason she watches it. So I get how teens can separate him from being the show, but still loving the show.

It's a shame because I think he brings so much to the role. But if I was a teen would I think that? If I was PR for both the CW & Teen choice awards would I put him up over another star that might skew less Dad/old man like? Because its the PR depts that essentially choose the nominations. If it was a movie role I could see his age/appearance not mattering as much but there are so many hot TV males that are young & going to sell more product. 

EBR is young, fun & fresh.  Plus her role is unique on young TV so I can see both fans & PR getting behind her. Hot girl succeeding in STEM young TV world. It sells itself. Plus she got better mgmt this yr which probably helped. Congrats to her though,  I do think she deserves recognition for making FS as great as she is.

• Love 2
5 hours ago, looptab said:

Well I don't think the actor's age factors in. Ian Somerhalder, Paul Weasley and Jared Padalecki are way past thirty, and they look it as well.

Are they nominated? I dont know. They also have very loyal, large and most Importantly a very devoted fanbase (esp online). People love SA, but the Arrow fandom IS fractured so people are not going to nominate him just because like other fandoms.

I was just giving a reason he wasnt nominated. I dont think Its a coincidence someone In SAs camp made him shave for the TMNT premiere.

7 hours ago, looptab said:

Well, I don't think the actor's age factors in. Ian Somerhalder, Paul Weasley and Jared Padalecki are way past thirty, and they look it as well.

They are older and if you look, you can tell but those guys have a different body type and more boyish features.  SA does not have anything boyish about him.  Probably the seriousness of his character ages him up as well.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Angel12d said:

Aren't the TCA's fixed anyway? All seems pointless, IMO.

Pretty much, which is why I can't understand why the internet gets excited year after year and then pissed off when EBR doesn't get the nomination or win

• Love 2
(edited)

Voting link to vote for Arrow and EBR to get Teen Choice Awards 2016...

Vote: http://vote.teenchoice.com/

FIRST WAVE OF “TEEN CHOICE 2016” NOMINEES ANNOUNCED AND #1 VOTED SURFBOARD REVEALED
http://www.teenchoice.com/article/first-wave-of-%E2%80%9Cteen-choice-2016%E2%80%9D-nominees-announced-and-1-voted-surfboard-revealed

Choice TV Show: Sci-Fi/Fantasy (#ChoiceSciFiTVShow)
“Arrow”
“iZombie”
“Once Upon a Time”
“Supernatural”
“The Flash”
“The Vampire Diaries”
Choice TV Actress: Sci-Fi/Fantasy (#ChoiceSciFiTVActress)
Candice King – “The Vampire Diaries”
Emily Bett Rickards – “Arrow”
Danielle Panabaker – “The Flash”
Eliza Taylor – “The 100”
Kat Graham – “The Vampire Diaries”
Lana Parrilla – “Once Upon a Time”

Edited by tv echo
51 minutes ago, dtissagirl said:

I'm kinda more curious as to how does ANDY LINCOLN get into that category. One of these dudes is totally really not at all like the others.

And the thing is that he's the best actor of those noimees

• Love 1
56 minutes ago, dtissagirl said:

I'm kinda more curious as to how does ANDY LINCOLN get into that category. One of these dudes is totally really not at all like the others.

Because the Walking Dead is HUGE. Seriously. I was pretty surprised Jensen didn't make it considering Jared in there too.

I know, it's just hilarious thinking of Andy as a teen heartthrob. He's kinda weird IRL [hey, I love the guy, but he is], he's LEGIT scared of social media, and he plays a DAD to a teen on TV.

5 minutes ago, catrox14 said:

Because the Walking Dead is HUGE. Seriously. I was pretty surprised Jensen didn't make it considering Jared in there too.

Yeah, WTF? That's weird but I think that might have happened last year as well?

5 minutes ago, Morrigan2575 said:

Yeah, WTF? That's weird but I think that might have happened last year as well?

Yeah, they had Jared for Actor and Jensen/Misha for Choice TV Chemistry, which they did win LOL  I'll bet the same happens this year

(edited)

Yes, at their May 28th awards ceremony, the first round of Leo Awards 2016 winners were announced, and Maya Mini won a Leo Award for Best Costume Design in Dramatic Series for Arrow-This Is Your Sword (also, The Flash team won a Leo Award for Best Visual Effects in Dramatic Series for The Flash-Gorilla Warfare)...
http://www.leoawards.com/2016/winners/by_name_may_28.pdf

There are two remaining Leo Awards ceremonies where more winners will be announced...

June 4th:
Best Stunt Coordination in Dramatic Series
-- Arrow team (Makaro, Bamford, Zagoudakis and Bracconier) was nominated for Arrow-Brotherhood

June 5th:
Best Lead Performance by Female in Dramatic Series
-- EBR was nominated for Arrow-A.W.O.L.

Best Direction in Dramatic TV Series 
-- Bamford was nominated for Arrow-Brotherhood 

Edited by tv echo
14 hours ago, tv echo said:

Online poll (you get 11 choices from 9 tv shows) - Laurel is currently in 7th place...

Which dearly departed TV character should return from the dead?
BY LINDSAY MACDONALD AT 03:05 PM ON MAY 31, 2016
http://zap2it.com/2016/05/game-of-thrones-the-100-hodor-lexa-tv-characters-resurrected/

Looks like fans of The 100 found that poll. Lexa leading with almost 89% of the vote and Lincoln in second place (with only 3.2%). Laurel is now in last place.

• Love 1
(edited)

Remember that Comic Book Resources poll where BC suddenly got 6,000 votes overnight?  Well, they've now added captchas (I guess the cheating was too obvious) - BC is still in 1st place but now only leads by about 2% (Felicity is currently in 2nd place, The Flash is in 3rd place and GA is in 4th place) - poll closes on Sunday, June 12th...

Who is Your Current Favorite DC Comics TV Hero?
http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=poll&id=424

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1
4 hours ago, paulvdb said:

Looks like fans of The 100 found that poll. Lexa leading with almost 89% of the vote and Lincoln in second place (with only 3.2%). Laurel is now in last place.

She is being beaten by "Other". Lol

• Love 4