Type keyword(s) to search

S09.E07: Scenic Route

chitowngirl

The road trip with Samantha was okay.  Harvey looked sexy, and it was funny watching them fight about dumb stuff like where to eat.  The serious conversation about their childhoods was nice.

I thought the Louis storyline was idiotic, but the acting was funny.  Why would he impersonate Harvey to a client?  He was obviously going to run into someone who would rat him out.  

I really liked the conversation between Harvey and his mother at the end.

What is the deal with that ugly painting Donna bought?  That thing was hideous.

• Love 1

The Painting was introduced in season 1. It's seen for the 1st time in episode 2, and decorated Harvey's office for 6 seasons until E. Stemple took away in season 6 [ep2] It was replaced by a photo of Harvey watching his mom painting it in 6.12 #Suits

The painting was done by his mom, I believe.

• Useful 1
  • Love 4

I'm glad I'm not alone in finding this episode pretty pointless.  Samantha's out of the firm, I never liked her anyway, so now we get a story that gets in-depth into her character?  Worse, her backstory includes Eric Caldor, another person I can't stand?  That was painful.

Lunch with Louis (that should be a TV show) was just as painful.  It was so over-the-top, I kept expecting the reveal that it was all in Louis' head; Harvey is not greeted by "Hello, Mr. Specter" everywhere he goes, he does not instantly charm everybody and become insanely popular (especially if he's being impersonated by Lous), and it was all just a fantasy for how Louis imagined the lunch would be.  Then it... really happened?  There was no reveal?  Oh dear.  Then it's solved, kinda (?), by Harold, another pointless character from the past?  Or maybe not, I honestly couldn't figure out what happened with the client and didn't care enough to re-watch it and figure it out.

I'm surprised by how many people don't remember the painting.  It is a pretty important piece of Harvey's history and has figured into a couple of storylines.  I think it's pretty hideous, too, but at least I get its significance to Harvey, and it was nice of Donna to do this during the 24 hours Harvey was gone.  It was probably the best part of this horrible episode.  Sad that Katrina's and Alex's appearances were only to serve another storyline, but at least it was this one and not the Louis thing or the Samantha thing.

So yeah, four episodes to go and this one was mostly a waste of time.  Ugh.

Edited to add: A few positive things. No Tasha Yar From The Bar. And a quick glimpse of "Specter Litt Williams" on the wall, confirming suspicions that they can change that wall pretty quickly if they are properly motivated.

Edited by Orbert

I too was surprised the lunch was real and not Louis' dream. It was way beyond stupid and I can't believe Donna let him get away with it. Or that the client still agreed to sign in the end.

What really got me was Harvey and Samantha DRIVING from NY to Pittsburgh. That's an 8-hour drive and she wanted to do it all in one shot? Well okay then. Glad that whole thing is out of the way now but geez, the show is about to end and that's the best they can do? 

• Love 3

The whole road trip could have been kinda cool, but instead it was just bad.  Of course Harvey would want to take the Scenic Route, and of course they get a flat tire or otherwise break down, and of course there's no spare, or cell service (bonus "of course" for not finding that out until after waiting a while), and then it went from cliched to just plain stupid.  Harvey walks off in the middle of nowhere, leaving Samantha alone by the car?  Samantha agrees to this?  I'm just amazed that we didn't get yet another cliche of something happening to Samantha or the car (good or bad) while he's gone.

Then we don't even get to witness the conversation between Samantha and her biological father.  She recaps it all to Harvey in the car?  The whole point of the trip, and we don't get to see it?  Oh, but the point of the trip was Harvey and Samantha bonding, now that they don't work together anymore and have reason to ever cross paths again.  Right.

• Love 2

Personally, I can't remember stuff that happened 2 seasons ago, let alone 8.

I did get a small kick out of Harold whining "I worked for you for 3 years.  Don't you remember me?"  Don't ever change, Harold.

8 hour drive in a muscle car?  I'm surprised Faye didn't pop up in the back like the Trunk Monkey.

"Gandalf?  Who's he?  I'm not a sports fan."

• Love 1

I actually liked this episode. It was a nice relief from the constant “the life of the firm is in the balance” tone of the last few seasons. I did have to wonder about the height of Samantha’s heels for a road trip (and am in awe that the actress can walk in them). Wouldn’t you just bring flats, so you can chill out for a long ride? 

Louis, as usual, was hilarious and insufferable. I agree with the posters above who thought the lunch was going to be a dream. I’ll really miss his character. Man, did I hate his character in the first few episodes, and now I love him. At least I have his mug to get me through. 

• Love 1

so

uh

why did that lunch actually happen

why wasn't it a dream

or even an expectations vs. reality kind of thing if they didn't want it to be a dream. He could've been like "hey, i'm louis litt, i'm one of the partners here, Harvey's out of the office today, but I can get him on speaker for a bit, Harvey's the best closer in town, but I the best in the city when it comes to finance law."

Are we at least going to finish the season in the next few weeks, or are they going to hold some episodes until like January? I sure hope it is the former, I don't think I would be able to come back if it were the latter.

I know one has to shut one's brain off to enjoy some episodes of TV, but I can't help myself.

1. I'm Samantha and I've got a ton of money and I'm not particularly friends with Harvey. I'm going to not just fly into Pittsburgh to meet my bio-dad. I'm going to road trip. And I'm not going to road trip with Zane or someone who is actually my friend, but with Harvey. 

2. I'm Louis and I am well aware that a stickler for ethics is crawling up all our butts and looking for an excuse to fire people and at a minimum won't leave till we show we can behave ethically. So for no particular reason, I'm going to pretend to be Harvey and potentially hook a client under false pretenses.

3. I'm whoever the client was and I'm impressed by the great Harvey Specter. But apparently I have never seen a picture of this famous lawyer, or bothered to do a Google search or anything. Same with everyone in my 20-plus person entourage.

I would have had no idea of the significance of the painting without having read about it in the forum, and I usually have a decent memory for Suits backstory stuff.

I can get that Harvey had no idea who Harold was, but Louis should definitely have remembered him from Louis's role as the person in charge of the associates. Also, it seems a little revisionist history that Harold would consider Pearson Hardman "home," because wasn't he generally considered a screwup and a misfit?

• Love 2
On 9/13/2019 at 5:04 PM, Chicago Redshirt said:

I'm Samantha and I've got a ton of money and I'm not particularly friends with Harvey. I'm going to not just fly into Pittsburgh to meet my bio-dad. I'm going to road trip. And I'm not going to road trip with Zane or someone who is actually my friend, but with Harvey.

I can get that Harvey had no idea who Harold was, but Louis should definitely have remembered him from Louis's role as the person in charge of the associates. Also, it seems a little revisionist history that Harold would consider Pearson Hardman "home," because wasn't he generally considered a screwup and a misfit?

Samantha told Harvey in the previous episode that Zane was going to visit Rachel and couldn't cancel. Samantha was going to go tomorrow, but would have rescheduled because Zane wasn't available, except Harvey was willing to go with her. Doesn't explain why they didn't take a plane.

Louis did remember Harold. He knew what it meant when Donna told him Harold was Reed Communications' attorney. "But I'm stuffed" was just him focusing on the wrong thing for comic effect.

Edited by Noneofyourbusiness