Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E05: Grieve No More

Bort
  • Start Topic

Philo consults a Haruspex in an effort to find clues about the killer. Vignette grows closer with her newfound family. Upon Jonah’s return home, his parents cast a more watchful eye over him as a new player makes a splash in Parliament. Imogen brings Agreus into her circle.

Airdate: Friday, August 30, 2019

Well that was the Most Awkward Tea-Party Ever but I have to give Ezra and Imogen props for managing to brazen their way through it.

I did love the hint that Jonah recognized the sound of his mother's footsteps and may suspect her as having a role in his kidnapping.

And wasn't it a surprise when Sophie Longerbane was revealed to be just as racist as her father?  They had me going -- thinking she was more broad-minded (what with her wanting an eduction even though she's *just* a girl) but, alas, she turned out to be one of those people who strive to overcome prejudice to climb the ladder while simultaneously stepping on the fingers of those who try to climb up after them. (She thinks SHE deserves an education and place in the governing body but not those icky Fae or other non-humans.)

I don't understand the point of the monster nor why it targets the people it does.  Given that that is a central mystery of the show, that's a pretty big weakness.  And I have NO idea who controls it.  But I have to give props to the stunt-man who got thrown down the stairs by the monster.  That was a heck of a tumble.

So . . . based on the last scene are we to understand that Philo has just figured out who his mother was?

And whatever happened to Philo's friend the werewolf?  We saw that Philo visits him regularly (maybe even daily) in a jail cell.  Are we to understand that he was outed as having been bitten by a werewolf and was condemned to life in a cage?  If so, I'm surprised they didn't just kill him, but perhaps he was granted "life" instead due to his having been bitten while defending his country by serving in the military.

Final thought . . . the monk/priest wears a noose around his neck in honor of "the martyr" who figures so prominently in their religion and there is a life-sized statue of the hanging martyr in the children's bedroom in the orphanage as well as other, smaller versions of it in assorted other locations.  It's jarring to the eye but it's a clever commentary on the use of the crucifix or plain cross as a Christian symbol.  The cross was originally a device used for torture and execution by the Romans and yet it evolved into a symbol to signify piety.  

Edited by WatchrTina
  • Like 1
  • Love 6

So, it seems like these murders are connected to Philo somehow, since the victims were a monk that he knew in the orphanage, the mortician who apparently was the one that clipped Philo's wings, and now the first victim is actually his mother?  That's how I interpreted all of it.  And seems like the creature is actually being controlled by someone?  I guess it could be anyone and I wonder who is next on the list.  Philo's father?  Or maybe Philo's father is actually the one behind all of it.

Have to say I did fall for the twist with Sophie.  It seems like she's doubling down on her late father's bigoted views?  I wonder if she really believes all of it or is she saying it to gain political ground and even go after the Chancellor himself.  And, of course, Jonah is all into that which is not good for the Breaksphere clan since they've made him double his studies.  Oh, and the whole mom stage your own kidnapping thing.  Just a little bit of an issue!

Not sure if that was the most awkward tea party of all time, but it certainly was at least a contender!  This will either end up making Imogen and Ezra bitter enemies or actually make them stronger.

A light episode for Vignette, but I'm sure Cara Delevingne enjoyed the break.  Plus, we do get the obvious reveal that Tourmaline is totally still into her!

• Love 2

I admit to being a little confused about what Agreus is hoping to accomplish here.  Not that he was wrong about anything he said, but if he's aiming to finagle his way into high society (and paying out handsomely in furtherance of that goal), I don't see that being so confrontational right off the bat serves him all that well -- mainly with the one guy who was, albeit condescendingly, trying to make conversation on what he figured was a shared political stance.  I could easily understand not wanting to be in a room with any of those people, but he's paying a huge sum of money to do so.

I'm really getting into this series.  The mystery plotting and the characters are a lot more compelling than I initially thought they might be.

One question of worldbuilding, I'm a bit uncertain what this society's sexism level is supposed to be.  A lot of scenes act like it's fairly straight Victorian, but this episode also depicts them as having a not-insignificant contingent of female legislators (who I didn't notice at all in previous scenes there, I guess I just wasn't paying attention to the extras), far more than you'd have found in the Houses of Commons (UK or Canada) or Representatives until well into the twentieth century.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Sophie suggested that her mother received some prejudice when she first arrived because of her dark skin but when the fae started to appear, all humans were accepted as equals. They say the same thing would happen in our world if aliens from another planet were to show up.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
On September 3, 2019 at 12:09 AM, SeanC said:

One question of worldbuilding, I'm a bit uncertain what this society's sexism level is supposed to be.  A lot of scenes act like it's fairly straight Victorian, but this episode also depicts them as having a not-insignificant contingent of female legislators (who I didn't notice at all in previous scenes there, I guess I just wasn't paying attention to the extras), far more than you'd have found in the Houses of Commons (UK or Canada) or Representatives until well into the twentieth century.

Isn't that funny?  I noticed how FEW female members of parliament there were.  But I think the answer to this question is similar to the what was observed above -- namely that the "normal" prejudices (based on gender and skin color) fade away (or are at least greatly diminished) when there is an "Other" that all humans can discriminate against instead (all the non-humans.) That being said, I assumed (with no evidence) that the only way a woman could end up in that legislative chamber was if she inherited the position (temporarily) from a recently deceased father or spouse, the way Sophie did.

Edited by WatchrTina
36 minutes ago, WatchrTina said:

Isn't that funny?  I noticed how FEW female members of parliament there were. 

From a modern perspective, certainly it's not large; I was more thinking from the perspective that the baseline for female legislators in a 19th century-style chamber is zero.

So poor Aisling was actually Philos mother?! Poor guy, he finally finds his long lost fae mother...after she was recently disemboweled. Ouch. Her singing really is quite lovely and sets a very moody vibe. Kind of a Victorian Loreena McKennitt thing going on.

Most awkward tea part ever? Possibly, I guess I give Imogen and Ezra some credit for grinning and bearing it at least. I can get why Agreus is annoyed by the prejudice he faces from high society, condescending at best and outwardly racist at worst, but maybe he should go along with the ones who at least try to be nice, like the awkward attempted woke rich guy. At least, if he actually wants to join this high society, like he said he did. 

I like the performer guy, even if I am not sure what his point is yet, but I feel like he will be important later. He knew Aisling back in the day, so maybe he knows who Philos father is or other plot stuff? Felt sad that he lost his little performers just because the cops didnt care to check to see if they should be deported. He had a pretty good show too!

That mole/fish thing...gross! God I wish it could be put out of its misery, thats just so nasty and sad for the little abomination. 

So Sophie is just as much of a racist firebrand as her dad was! Or at least she is acting like it to get political points and get the freedom her dad wouldn't give her. And now Jonah has the hots for her, because of course. He seems to be catching on that his mother was behind the kidnapping, so I guess that would mess somebody up.

• Like 1
  • Love 2

That mole/fish thing...gross! God I wish it could be put out of its misery, thats just so nasty and sad for the little abomination. 

I found that rather disturbing. Haruspex took a meat cleaver to it and chopped it into three pieces knowing full well all three pieces would still be alive. Just to prove a point. Talk about animal cruelty. I know this is just a fantasy but that really bothered me.

• Sad 1
  • Love 1
On 9/2/2019 at 12:31 AM, thuganomics85 said:

So, it seems like these murders are connected to Philo somehow, since the victims were a monk that he knew in the orphanage, the mortician who apparently was the one that clipped Philo's wings, and now the first victim is actually his mother?  That's how I interpreted all of it.  And seems like the creature is actually being controlled by someone?  I guess it could be anyone and I wonder who is next on the list.  Philo's father?  Or maybe Philo's father is actually the one behind all of it.

Do you think the monk that cared for the boys at the orphanage, and was murdered was Philo’s father? Yes I know that he had a long term relationship with a man, and was likely gay but that doesn’t mean he never had sex with a fairy woman. His boyfriend/Philo’s coworker said he knew the first victim and they were “close” a long time ago; it wouldn’t be far fetched for her to leave their child with him knowing he would protect the boy best he could (as he was working in a boys orphanage, likely not the head monk at that time)? And then the man that ends up being his long term boyfriend/companion is the person that clipped Philo’s wings? I think that leads to the monk being is Dad. 

• Like 1
On 9/7/2019 at 8:45 PM, Scarlett45 said:

Do you think the monk that cared for the boys at the orphanage, and was murdered was Philo’s father? Yes I know that he had a long term relationship with a man, and was likely gay but that doesn’t mean he never had sex with a fairy woman. His boyfriend/Philo’s coworker said he knew the first victim and they were “close” a long time ago; it wouldn’t be far fetched for her to leave their child with him knowing he would protect the boy best he could (as he was working in a boys orphanage, likely not the head monk at that time)? And then the man that ends up being his long term boyfriend/companion is the person that clipped Philo’s wings? I think that leads to the monk being is Dad. 

I dunno. I’m thinking the person controlling the monster may be dear old dad. For whatever reason (political?) he wants all witnesses to a connection to Philo to be killed?  Seems a bit overkill (no pun intended) to create a monster to hide the fact he had a child with a Fae. 

The kobold guy will either be the next victim or the one to provide Philo with the information he needs to solve the mystery. 

Poor Philo, finding out about his mother too late. 

Lol about the most awkward tea party ever. 

On 9/7/2019 at 8:45 PM, Scarlett45 said:

Do you think the monk that cared for the boys at the orphanage, and was murdered was Philo’s father? 

This was my first thought when I was piecing the information at the very beginning of the episode.

On 9/9/2019 at 9:13 PM, Haleth said:

I dunno. I’m thinking the person controlling the monster may be dear old dad.

This was my next thought, by the end of the episode.