Type keyword(s) to search

S14.E06: We Part-Tay!

• Start Topic

13 minutes ago, ehall1052 said:

Homes built in the 1950s (like their neighbor’s home) are less ostentatious than homes built today.

The little town from which I recently moved has a mix like that.  It was only 2 square miles and had lower taxes than the surrounding area so the thing these days is to buy the older homes, knock them down, and then big huge places on the lots.  It makes for quite a hodge-podge look.  Obviously the Klein's home is a newer build.

At my new place there are two sets of building codes, one for lake side (Lake Huron) and one for the rest of the township.  Since they are on the water the Kleins may be required to have certain features at their place.

16 minutes ago, Kohola3 said:

The little town from which I recently moved has a mix like that.  It was only 2 square miles and had lower taxes than the surrounding area so the thing these days is to buy the older homes, knock them down, and then big huge places on the lots.  It makes for quite a hodge-podge look.  Obviously the Klein's home is a newer build.

At my new place there are two sets of building codes, one for lake side (Lake Huron) and one for the rest of the township.  Since they are on the water the Kleins may be required to have certain features at their place.

Exactly! The building codes now are much more stringent than they were in the 1950s.  And I can almost guarantee that, like you said, there was originally another home on that lot that was razed to build this home. 

• Love 1

The Kleins live down the street from my ex-husband's cousin. I've been there many times. Shore Acres, in St. Pete does not have grand homes like Bill and Jen live in. Our cousin has a normal 3/2 with a 2 car garage. Not even an eat in kitchen. That house is over the top for the neighborhood. Sadly, it also floods very easily, quickly and often. Glad their house is on stilts. Can't imagine that it's comfortable for them with all those steps. They have an elevator, yes, but still, to not be able to utilize the stairs is a waste IMO, They could have a beautiful single story home, with no steps and in an area that does not flood so easily. I know they are out there in St. Pete.

• Love 6
2 hours ago, Kohola3 said:

that is happening out by me to older established towns that don't have enough land for new housing. My co-worker who has a very small modest house, showed me pictures of the house going up next door to her. Its so big and the lots are so small that she will be able to nearly reach out and shake the neighbors hand without either of them leaving their homes. 

• Love 1
On 8/28/2019 at 8:55 PM, humbleopinion said:

StepGram will get on Zoey's last nerve and she will let the old lady have it...

Stop treating me like a baby! ...will be screamed right in her face.....

It is such a common thing to treat a child who is small like a toddler. I taught first grade and had a short boy, he wasn't little, who everyone babied. I had to talk to the staff and explain he was 6 years old and was to be treated like any other first grader. That meant to stop picking him up and talking down to him. I had the support of his mom.

• Love 8
4 hours ago, ehall1052 said:

The neighborhood they live in has many homes worth over $1 million and quite a few homes over $2 million. But you do see several homes for less than $1 million.  That’s because it’s an older neighborhood with many older homes. Homes built in the 1950s (like their neighbor’s home) are less ostentatious than homes built today. Also, today’s homes built on the water have a grander look to them because essentially they’re built on stilts with the garages under the house to save it from flooding. I guarantee that  when a hurricane approaches, the homes not built up, like Bill and Jen’s, are more nervous than the Kleins are.

It is very typical on the Gulf Coast to see neighborhoods that have a mix of houses. Original bids that are modest and huge houses that were built after tearing down the originals. New houses have to built up by law so they look even more massive. The ground level is usually storage and garage. In some towns the ground level is not allowed to be living space. Each town or county has their own zoning laws. 

• Useful 3
  • Love 1
On 8/30/2019 at 12:04 PM, Kohola3 said:

I guess that depends on your definition of waste.

I have a modest income.  To buy things I cannot afford would be a waste so I live within my means. If I had their income I would upscale my life.  I wouldn't consider it a waste.

Exactly. I do not understand why anyone is bothered by what they spend. If they can afford it, good for them.

• Love 16
On 8/31/2019 at 7:41 PM, NJMom said:

Exactly. I do not understand why anyone is bothered by what they spend. If they can afford it, good for them.

I live in my means...I have family that have means I will never be at.....They spend on stuff I never will be able to...and they should...they earned the money. If the Kleins have the funds, then they should do as they like with it. Bill and Jenn earn a lot of money, don't ask for anything from anyone...so enjoy your life !

• Love 12

Many-sized people,

We snark the show, not each other.  People are allowed differing opinions about how The Little Couple spends their money.  Some think they flaunt it, some think they are just living life, some see it as trying to make more interesting TV.  Regardless, all opinions are allowed to be expressed without being challenged by others.  

OK = "I see it as  . . . ."

Not OK = "If you don't like it, don't watch." "That's not what they're doing." 

Back to your regularly scheduled snarking.  

• Love 6

I don't really see excessive spending in this family given their incomes. There  are many reality TV families/individuals who have no other income than their TV show and social media who are much more extravagant in their  spending IMO. 

These two have both been working their entire adult lives, in addition to the income from the show. We have no idea what Jen's salary is, how much profit they get from the pet store, what sort of salary Bill draws from the pet store, what they get from the show, and what they get from social media.  Additionally, these two have most likely been investing in their retirement accounts/ 401K since they started working. We also don't know what, if any, aspects of their activities on the show are comped by production. 

Edited by ChristmasJones
  • Useful 1
  • Love 15
On 8/30/2019 at 7:36 AM, BigBingerBro said:

My impression is that Bill was an asshole before the show.  I got the vibe from him as early as the first season.

He owned a telemarketing company.  Imagine out of all careers you choose one where you pester people with unwanted intrusions on their privacy.

• LOL 4
  • Love 2