Type keyword(s) to search

S14.E06: We Part-Tay!

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, ehall1052 said:

I was reading that although the Holi powder is not toxic, it’s not safe to get it in your eyes or lungs.  As an asthmatic, no thank you!

Omg, I don't even have asthma and my lungs were weeping watching everyone get that powder in their hair and faces. 

• Love 8

They try out the boat they might buy. Bill says he hasn't driven one in years and years, and then goes full throttle? Zoey keeps saying we are going to die? How was this safe at all? And, it seems like as usual, lots of wine(?) was being drunk at the dinner before they left for the boat ride. I thought in one of their books that Bill said he was an alcoholic? If so, he should never be drinking anything period.

• Love 3
13 minutes ago, winsomeone said:

They try out the boat they might buy. Bill says he hasn't driven one in years and years, and then goes full throttle? Zoey keeps saying we are going to die? How was this safe at all? And, it seems like as usual, lots of wine(?) was being drunk at the dinner before they left for the boat ride. I thought in one of their books that Bill said he was an alcoholic? If so, he should never be drinking anything period.

Really? I didn't realize Bill had said that about alcohol.  Hmmm.....

I guess they were trying to make things more amusing, but, I don't get the focus on fast cars or fast boats. Generally, not a good idea.  But, I don't get the thing about the kids driving the boat.....hmmmm.....to me, that's an adult responsibility and should be clearly designated that way until they are much older.  Like, when they have a driver license. 

I think that I'm just oversaturated with the kid stuff.  So, that boat wasn't big enough for Zoey.  She demands, I mean, wants, a bigger boat.  WHAT?  I'd rather see the show focused on the parents and their lives with career and each other, with some of the kid stuff included. but, I guess that's not going to happen.  It's all kids, all the time.  

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Love 8

None of the adults were wearing life jackets. Bill was speeding. Zoey was scared. Jen was sort of hanging on to Will with one hand. The children were given an opportunity to steer. The boat was configured with everyone crammed into a small space up front. The whole thing looked dangerous and the adults' judgment was highly questionable. I'm surprised the footage wasn't scrapped. It was not the little couple's finest moment. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 13

When I was going to a babysitter as a child, she had a friend who lived at the lake and took us all (five kids and three adults) on a speed boat. I don't think we ever went that fast, but it felt like it at the time. He also gave us kids a chance to steer out in open waters for a minute or two. It was one of those things that made us feel like a grown-up. There was always an adult behind us to help and we didn't get to touch any of the other controls. For the longest time afterward, I would tell my parents I knew how to drive a boat.

I wouldn't be thrilled about the powder in the face thing. I probably would have created a rule like martial arts championships of certain areas only. 

• Love 3

The change in Jen is really remarkable. The way she cheerfully accepted being covered in powder was totally out of character with the old Jen. She was also very friendly and relaxed with Bill's family. In the past, I always thought that she seemed tense and up tight around them.

Bill said that they got more candy than anything else at the Asian market. I'm not surprised. Typical Bill...

• Love 11

I opined during the season where they went to England that the whole family might benefit from someone like Jo (The Nanny) to teach them how to interact more appropriately.  The change in behavior makes me wonder if they did get someone to help them with their family dynamic.  These don't even seem to be the same kids . . . and it's refreshing to see them behaving better.

- Bill hasn't changed.  Using the adhesive to make a pretend "booger" was "same old Bill" material.

- Loved Zoe saying, "Take the booger off your face and go wash your hands."  So grown up!  And I loved that she seemed to pronounce "turquoise" with a French inflection ("turqwaz), and "breathed" it instead of saying it.  

• Love 11

I get giving the kids a turn to steer the boat, as long as the adult was right there and they were going slow.  I'm sure the kids won't be taking the boat out on their own.  When you go that fast in a boat it can be very "bouncy," especially if you hit wake.  Bill said one of the reasons they couldn't ride personal watercraft was because it wasn't good for their spines; it seems to me the same would be true in the boat if you aren't careful.

• Love 9
5 hours ago, winsomeone said:

And, it seems like as usual, lots of wine(?) was being drunk at the dinner before they left for the boat ride.

I could be wrong, but I think that was the night before, and then they went on the boat the next day.

5 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

So, that boat wasn't big enough for Zoey.  She demands, I mean, wants, a bigger boat.  WHAT?

I thought it was Will who wanted a bigger boat (a ten-deck cruise ship, to be exact)... 

16 hours ago, ehall1052 said:

I was reading that although the Holi powder is not toxic, it’s not safe to get it in your eyes or lungs.  As an asthmatic, no thank you!

I'm not an asthmatic and that whole scene still made me cringe. Breathing all that in... no, no, no.

• Love 6

They did take the boat out the next morning, after Bill’s dad fixed everyone breakfast sandwiches. And it was Will saying he wanted a boat with 25 decks. I don’t think he was serious. I love watching these kids but I couldn’t stand the idea of all that powder being inhaled!

• Love 6
14 minutes ago, dargosmydaddy said:

I could be wrong, but I think that wa

night before, and then they went on the boat the next day.

I thought it was Will who wanted a bigger boat (a ten-deck cruise ship, to be exa

s the ct)... 

I'm not an asthmatic and that whole scene still made me cringe. Breathing all that in... no, no, no.

Will said it second. When they were on the boat the first time with Bill's dad on board, they asked Zoey if she wanted the boat and she said, no, a biggie boat. Then, they asked Will and he copied her and said he wanted a biggie boat too.

I'm not sure why they bother me.  Especially, Zoey. I like confidence in a kid, but, she could afford to bring it down a notch. Nobody likes a know it all. lol I have a special needs 9 year-old niece, who is so appreciative of everything she gets.  From a sticker to a glass of water, she smiles and gives a kind, Thank you, every time. 

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Love 8
6 hours ago, libgirl2 said:

Omg, I don't even have asthma and my lungs were weeping watching everyone get that powder in their hair and faces. 

I was staring at the TV screen in disbelief!!  How is it "fun" to get saturated with  who knows what chemicals and other irritants that are probably contained in the particulates of that dyed powder???  And then to get the car full of the powder residue and track it into the grandparents home (including the bathrooms) was cringe worthy and disgusting! 

I'm all in with the "culture" emphasis for the kids that is stated repeatedly and repeatedly and repeatedly ad nauseam;  however, this excess of reckless behavior for (what I presume they think is the 'greater good' of promoting India, even though I saw many Caribbean Island participants too) simply missed the mark for common sense.  

As far as the boat behavior is concerned, we had a boat when I was married and similar to getting licensed to drive a car, we had to attend safety courses and learn how to navigate and practice what we were taught to be approved to operate it.  I was astounded that Bill just "winged it" and nobody said a word about it, and that includes wearing life jackets.  It was like someone getting in a car for the first time without practice and getting on the road! 

I noticed how much effort they put into teaching the kids how to swim and ride their bikes safely.  However, nothing even remotely similar was done to ensure boat safety.

• Love 12
27 minutes ago, pdlinda said:

I was staring at the TV screen in disbelief!!  How is it "fun" to get saturated with  who knows what chemicals and other irritants that are probably contained in the particulates of that dyed powder???  And then to get the car full of the powder residue and track it into the grandparents home (including the bathrooms) was cringe worthy and disgusting! 

I'm all in with the "culture" emphasis for the kids that is stated repeatedly and repeatedly and repeatedly ad nauseam;  however, this excess of reckless behavior for (what I presume they think is the 'greater good' of promoting India, even though I saw many Caribbean Island participants too) simply missed the mark for common sense.  

Holi is an ancient Hindu festival that "signifies the arrival of spring, the end of winter, the blossoming of love, and for many a festive day to meet others, play and laugh, forget and forgive, and repair broken relationships.". I didn't think it was disgusting, I thought it was quite pretty and looked like a lot of fun.  Granted I wouldn't want to inhale any powder! I don't know about the powder used in other countries but I'm sure the FDA monitors what we use in the US. 

• Love 7
7 minutes ago, libgirl2 said:

I didn't think it was disgusting,

The Festival was everything you mentioned and I enjoyed seeing it.  My comment regarded handling the powder residue after the lovely Festival concluded.  

Edited by pdlinda
  • Love 1
14 minutes ago, pdlinda said:

The Festival was everything you mentioned and I enjoyed seeing it.  My comment regarded handling the powder residue after the lovely Festival concluded.  

Okay. I guess maybe they weren't able to shower off the powder at the festival and had to go somewhere that they could. 

Edited by libgirl2
2 hours ago, pdlinda said:

I'm all in with the "culture" emphasis for the kids that is stated repeatedly and repeatedly and repeatedly ad nauseam; 

Seriously, what's up with that? I understand wanting to keep adopted kids connected to their roots, but the Kleins are becoming borderline obsessive about it. I'm all for attending Bollywood classes and festivals, but Bill lamenting the lack of Indian food at the Asian market was a bit much. Jen's "quality over quantity" time and culture! culture! culture! seem to be the dominant themes this season.

Edited by BitterApple
  • Love 8

The only thing that bothered me about the boat scene was no life jackets on the adults.  They were in open water so unlikely to hit anything and Bill's dad was there for guidance. I'm sure if they were approaching a perilous speed he would have intervened. 

As for the kids driving, we all did that with our boat as kids.  We thought was just SO exciting to be able to "pretend big" when my dad or my uncles let us steer.  Again, with Bill's dad guiding them it was just a nice, fun moment for the kids.  It's not like they were driving down a narrow canal!

Holi was a lot on the messy side for me but it truly seemed like all of the participants were having fun so what I like really doesn't matter.  

Those kids make me smile every week.

• Love 6

When they first arrived at the festival, while Will & Bill went in search of a bathroom,  Jen & Zoey approached a group who had like cups of colored powder,  which they offered to Zoey. Jen warned Zoey not to use up all of their powder,  they said it's no problem & took a baby powder container & filled the cup up with more baby powder. I would worry about inhaling large amounts of baby powder. 

Just my opinion but I think they would be happier with a pontoon boat.  Only thing is Bill can't get his "need for speed" with a pontoon. 

Bills Dad & stepmom really get on my nerves.   The stepmom should really watch herself,  she has a tendency to treat Zoey like a toddler.  I noticed Bill's dad is sporting an earring,  never noticed that before. 

• Love 5
10 minutes ago, alegtostandon said:

Just my opinion but I think they would be happier with a pontoon boat.  Only thing is Bill can't get his "need for speed" with a pontoon. 

I agree and Iove those but you really need fairly flat water for something like that.  I live on Lake Huron and nobody takes them out when there is any wave action at all.

• Love 1

I was astounded that Bill just "winged it" and nobody said a word about it, and that includes wearing life jackets.  It was like someone getting in a car for the first time without practice and getting on the road! 

Bill knows that he isn't an experienced boater and I'd bet that he will take some classes.  He also said that it's been a long time since he drove a boat, so it's not a totally new experience to him.

• Love 1

I think if given a real choice, Jen would have stayed miles away from the Holi festival. She didn't look like she enjoyed it, really, nor did she want to be squirted and covered with colored powder. It was TV show fodder. I don't think it was right for Will to squirt ANYONE in the face with that super soaker. I don't believe him that it was by accident. He stated that squirting her in the face was what he enjoyed most. Not nice, even for a 9 year old kid to say that about doing that to his mother.  Will's 'need for speed' could not be a good thing when he's a teenager and gets his drivers' license. I think they're going to have problems with him later on. I hope I'm wrong but I don't think so. I, as a mother, did NOT appreciate Bill's comment about 'not telling mommy'. This undermines Jen to the kids and is never a good thing. This grown man needs to grow up himself. He's not there to be the childrens' 'best friend'. Annoying to watch. 

• Love 13
22 hours ago, winsomeone said:

I've owned a boat for years, so I'll tell you that when you first start out, after getting through the 5 mph, no wake zones, you have to slowly get the boat up to a certain speed for it the plane out.  This is the point where it goes from the bow being way up in the air to leveling off in the water.  It allows the boat to ride over its bow wave, and makes for a safer and more comfortable ride.  If you listen carefully you'll hear that it's exactly what Pop Pop was telling him to do.  They weren't in any danger, and Zoey saying "don't die" was just Zoey being Zoey.  Lol  The only danger I saw was that Bill and Jen weren't wearing life vests.  I think I heard Bill say once that he and Jen are not swimmers, but they're grow adults, so it's up to them.

Bill and Jen are in trouble, once you start boating you always want a bigger boat.  We started with a boat that size, and now we have a boat that we stay on for a week at a time.

• Love 6
10 hours ago, humbleopinion said:

Bill Jr. is most likely to act like an asshat around Bill Sr., the biggest asshat of the Klein clan....

It must be nice for Bill Sr to have that nice home with a pool and a boat when he left his wife alone with 3 sons to raise and no child support. He will forever be an asshat in my book. 

• Love 20
2 hours ago, bichonblitz said:

It must be nice for Bill Sr to have that nice home with a pool and a boat when he left his wife alone with 3 sons to raise and no child support. He will forever be an asshat in my book. 

We don't know much about Bill's stepmother.  She may have had a good career and contributed to the Florida home and boat.  She possibly already had the larger home that Bill talks about visiting after his parents divorced.  We really don't know anything about senior Bill's finances.  Or his wife's career.  I'm not defending his non payment of child support!

Edited by beagletime
spelling
  • Love 3
16 hours ago, Kohola3 said:

The only thing that bothered me about the boat scene was no life jackets on the adults.  

Florida boating law is that only children under 6 MUST wear a life jacket at all times.  The boat is required to HAVE a life jacket for each person on board, but they don't have to wear them.

We watch a lot of the Fish and Game TV shows, and the rangers always ask to see life jackets for each person.  The boaters usually have to pull them out of a cupboard that has a bunch of coolers in front of it, so I'm not sure they're easily accessible in case of an emergency.  But the rangers only write tickets if there aren't enough jackets.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, AZChristian said:

Florida boating law is that only children under 6 MUST wear a life jacket at all times.  The boat is required to HAVE a life jacket for each person on board, but they don't have to wear them.

Yes, but this Jen and Bill we are talking about. One if 4' tall, the other is 3' tall. I don't think Jen can swim. Clearly they need the life jackets on. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 9
1 minute ago, bichonblitz said:

Yes, but this Jen and Bill we are talking about. One if 4' tall, the other is 3' tall. I don't think Jen can swim. Clearly they need the life jackets on. 

No argument from me about that, but they are not required by law to wear them.  

I once took my grandkids out on a good-sized paddle wheel boat.  When they gave the safety orientation, they said that children under 12 were not required to wear a safety vest, but it was recommended that they do so.  Trust me, mine wore them!!!!  They had no choice.

• Love 7
5 hours ago, floridamom said:

I, as a mother, did NOT appreciate Bill's comment about 'not telling mommy'. This undermines Jen to the kids and is never a good thing. This grown man needs to grow up himself. He's not there to be the childrens' 'best friend'. Annoying to watch. 

I agree. It's already hard enough for Jen because she's the working parent and doesn't get to spend as much time with the kids. The last thing she needs is her husband creating a dynamic where she's always Captain No Fun, raining down on the parade. If Jen doesn't want them eating a certain candy, there's probably a good reason for it. I don't think Bill is a bad guy, but he oftentimes sets a bad example when he prioritizes being the kids' BFF over being a parent. 

• Love 14

Watching it I have to remind myself that some of the things that seem off or strange are also probably down to creating a storyline and/or filling time for a TV show.  Hence the frequent exploration of the culture of the birth countries of each child, Bill/Will liking vehicles and speed, trying to sneak goodies past Jen, etc.  We've seen the kids get goodies with Jen present many times, with her full approval.  The kids' excited enjoyment of them makes me think they are still a limited offering treat in their world -- not as if they're completely unheard of, but not an everyday occurrence either.  

I was really interested in Zoey's reaction to the surprise of the new pool toys hidden for them to find.  "Oh, thank you so much, thank you, thank you so much!"  The kids do get a generous amount of material things.  Gratitude is being impressed upon them as well.  It's not a slam dunk that kids who have so much will be aware of the idea they should be grateful and express it.  Clearly some effort is being put in to attempt to instill that idea into them.

I'm most encouraged about Will and Zoey's interactions with their peers -- Will's friends at his birthday party and Zoey with her cousin's at grandpa's house told me a lot about what the kids are actually like interacting with others.  For a lot of reasons I thought there were a lot of indicators the kids wouldn't do well with peers, and I'm glad to see I was wrong.  Judging by the response we've seen of other children with Will and Zoey I think they understand how to get along with their peers. 

Currently I think we're seeing a phase that Zoey is going through that looks annoying and I'm sure can be annoying to be around at times.  She's very intent on, look at me, watch me, look at me.  Some of that is her age.  Some of that is being very doted on by a lot of adults in many situations.  Some of that is a natural result of growing up being encouraged to "do this, do that, show us this, show us that" for the TV show cameras.  Judging by the change in Will as he is maturing, I'm expecting this phase will pass with Zoey.  

• Love 14
2 hours ago, AZChristian said:

No argument from me about that, but they are not required by law to wear them

I get what you are saying. I live in Florida and am a boater, too. It's amazing to see people out on the water that have no idea what they are doing. Anyway, regarding the life jackets I worry about Jen. She is so tiny and fragile, she could be knocked out of that boat easily. I hope Bill understands that and keeps her safe. 

• Love 8

Albeit Zoey was 7 when this was all filmed, she was a fairly perfect 4/5.  Since she was in kindergarten when it was filmed, she was right where she was placed.  Much as Will was the same way and matured, Zoey likely will also.  I'd much rather see her as a bit of a show off than withdrawn and not engaged. 

• Love 12

It bothered me that Bill said he needed to get a boat because “people come over and comment that he lives on the water and has no boat.”

What a jerk. I really hate how this family wishes for something and POOF they get it. It happens with everything, candy, toys and what not for the kids too. 

• Love 4
56 minutes ago, JerseyGirl said:

It bothered me that Bill said he needed to get a boat because “people come over and comment that he lives on the water and has no boat.”

What a jerk. I really hate how this family wishes for something and POOF they get it. It happens with everything, candy, toys and what not for the kids too. 

That didn't bother me at all. He ended up buying the boat off his dad and its not like its a yacht. I have seen bigger when I have been on the lake in Michigan. My aunt and uncle lived on a small lake in practically the boonies out by me and they had a boat as well. I usually think people who live on a lake or another body of water have some type of watercraft even if its a row boat. 

Edited by libgirl2
  • Love 9

Jen has said she can swim but sinks like a stone...even more the reason to wear a life jacket.

That secondhand boat was pretty small...if you take in consideration the cameraman and sound guy that was on board to do the close ups before getting on the production crew boat to film Bill speeding along.....

No way Bill will keep that boat for long...he always has to have the best of everything....thanks to TLC money....

Edited by humbleopinion
  • Love 4

I love this show for the scenery in St Pete. I grew up in Miami and they’re both so similar. The houses/architecture. The green everywhere. The trees and plants. The water and boats. It gives me nice memories of growing up there.

♥️☺️🐊🌈

Also, I didn’t like the way Bill was driving the boat. Though I grew up in Miami (see above 😉) I wasn’t in boats more than maybe a dozen times.  Was he going too fast or am I being silly? Either way...blech that/he pissed me off.  

• Love 3
33 minutes ago, winsomeone said:

Bill proves that assholes come in all sizes. Do reality shows create monsters, or are these people that way to begin with and it just brings the worst out in them?

My impression is that Bill was an asshole before the show.  I got the vibe from him as early as the first season.

• Love 6

Bill and Jen both seem to waste massive amounts of money and make very poor decisions regarding money. Every time they go out to eat, they order much more food than they could ever eat. Jen buys every single gadget that the internet has to offer. They buy their children gift after gift, treat after treat, for no reason at all. Jen has so many clothes that her closet looks like the women's department in a store. The boat that they bought was actually out of character for Bill. He usually wants the most "showy" item available. It's all a little off putting.

The biggest mistake that they've made is twice acquiring a house that is too grand for the neighborhood. They got burnt by this in Houston and proceeded to make the same mistake in St. Petersburg.

Edited by Libby
  • Love 6
12 minutes ago, Libby said:

Bill and Jen both seem to waste massive amounts of money and make very poor decisions regarding money.

Well, we only know what we see.  For all we know they have huge investment portfolios as well.  And, for all we know, the only toys the kids get are what we see purchased on the show.  It's all producer-driven.

• Love 5
16 minutes ago, Kohola3 said:

Well, we only know what we see.  For all we know they have huge investment portfolios as well.  And, for all we know, the only toys the kids get are what we see purchased on the show.  It's all producer-driven.

All that we can comment on is what we see on the show and we have to take it at face value.

If we go with the assumption that bad things that we see are producer driven and fake, then we have to go with the assumption that good things that we see are producer driven and fake. Using this logic we can say that maybe Bill and Jen secretly hate one another, which is highly unlikely. I honestly don't believe that the producers are telling Bill and Jen to waste massive amounts of money for the camera.

• Love 7
49 minutes ago, Libby said:

...waste massive amounts of money for the camera.

I guess that depends on your definition of waste.

I have a modest income.  To buy things I cannot afford would be a waste so I live within my means. If I had their income I would upscale my life.  I wouldn't consider it a waste.

• Love 12
3 hours ago, Libby said:

The biggest mistake that they've made is twice acquiring a house that is too grand for the neighborhood.

The neighborhood they live in has many homes worth over $1 million and quite a few homes over $2 million. But you do see several homes for less than $1 million.  That’s because it’s an older neighborhood with many older homes. Homes built in the 1950s (like their neighbor’s home) are less ostentatious than homes built today. Also, today’s homes built on the water have a grander look to them because essentially they’re built on stilts with the garages under the house to save it from flooding. I guarantee that  when a hurricane approaches, the homes not built up, like Bill and Jen’s, are more nervous than the Kleins are.

• Love 1