Type keyword(s) to search

The Princess Bride Mafia

• Start Topic

Drogo I just wish you'd stop being so glib.

In other Tom Cruise news, I think he's bonkers, but I'm pretty sure all his movies are at least watchable and most of them are kinda awesome? So I can't hate him too much. I mean... I can hate a bunch of the things he believes and thinks and just... man. Bonkers. BUT still. I cry every time I watch Top Gun to this day. Also I really love the dumb Mission: Impossible movies. I have problems. (Full disclosure, I've never seen Magnolia or Eyes Wide Shut). And dancing Less Grossman is my spirit animal. 

OK, I'll stop. I've had too much coffeeeeee this morning!! Wheee!! 

• Love 2
  • Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Drogo I just wish you'd stop being so glib.

In other Tom Cruise news, I think he's bonkers, but I'm pretty sure all his movies are at least watchable and most of them are kinda awesome? So I can't hate him too much. I mean... I can hate a bunch of the things he believes and thinks and just... man. Bonkers. BUT still. I cry every time I watch Top Gun to this day. Also I really love the dumb Mission: Impossible movies. I have problems. (Full disclosure, I've never seen Magnolia or Eyes Wide Shut). And dancing Less Grossman is my spirit animal.

I like Minority Report, Rain Man, and whenever he appears for short roles. He's pretty fun in some of MI movies too. Tom Cruise in movies does have charisma. Tom Cruise offscreen is a whole 'nother story. So glad Nicole was free of him.

I was down in the your homeland, Americans, a week ago. The CAD$ was so low that the the deals for shopping weren't good, but I was able to buy lots of booze at duty free (taking advantage of other people's allowances): Veuve Cliquot champagne, Ardbeg 10 year single malt scotch, and Hendrick's Gin.

Lisin, I'll make you a good Gin and Tonic.

• Love 2

As a woman of a certain age, that volleyball scene from Top Gun was whispered about in school until we were able to talk someone's parents into renting the video for us at a sleepover. 

• Love 4

top-gun-volleyball-scene.gif

Breaking news:  caprice is right.  Again.

To be honest, I wasn't sure. I was just hoping you'd post a shirtless volleyball GIF. :D

As a woman of a certain age, that volleyball scene from Top Gun was whispered about in school until we were able to talk someone's parents into renting the video for us at a sleepover. 

I'm pretty sure the first time I saw it was as a rental, too.

• Love 3

(*It's weird because I haven't gotten any older since then, but most of 'em have sure hit the wall.)

Pictures or it didn't happen! Once again, as I said before, you look like Jason Momoa to me.

• Love 4

I waited until my parents were going to be out for the evening, and rented Porky's.

• Love 3

So this sucks.

(*It's weird because I haven't gotten any older since then, but most of 'em have sure hit the wall.)

It's been 30 years! Mostly I think they look OK for human people. 

I still have a soft spot in my heart for Val Kilmer. :)

• Love 2

Weird, friends and I were discussing him recently and how there was an article on Grantland which posited that his resume trumps all but the most elite of other actor's. The only thing wrong with Cruise is his personal life, which ain't none of my business.

So this sucks.

Do not regret growing older. It's a privilege denied to many.

• Love 7

Weird, friends and I were discussing him recently and how there was an article on Grantland which posited that his resume trumps all but the most elite of other actor's. The only thing wrong with Cruise is his personal life, which ain't none of my business.

Do not regret growing older. It's a privilege denied to many.

You and your friends have some interesting discussions.

I've never really been a Cruise fan, yet I'd say that his putting his personal life out there makes it open to the rest of us. I'm also not particularly a fan of Mel Gibson, yet if Thunderdome, Tequila Sunrise, Year of Living Dangerously or Air America come on, I'll watch.

Now... will someone please tell me why I'm watching Armageddon?

• Love 1
You and your friends have some interesting discussions.

We do.

I'm also not particularly a fan of Mel Gibson, yet if Thunderdome, Tequila Sunrise, Year of Living Dangerously or Air America come on, I'll watch.

Don't forget Maverick, or Braveheart. Or Payback which I really liked.

Now... will someone please tell me why I'm watching Armageddon?

Steve Buscemi

"You know we're sitting on four million pounds of fuel, one nuclear weapon and a thing that has 270,000 moving parts built by the lowest bidder. Makes you feel good, doesn't it?"

• Love 5

I would like to wall off the current Mel Gibson. I've never gotten the attraction and in comparison to Tom Cruise, being a mean, hateful person as opposed to a religiously deluded one is unforgivable.

Love Vanilla Sky and going to see MI today.

Love Val Kilmer.

• Love 1

A little late to the conversation, but as far as Tom Cruise goes, I can take or leave him as a person, but I gotta respect a guy willing to dangle off the side of one of the world's tallest buildings and hang on to the side of an airplane for the sake of realism. (And I'm still annoyed that he didn't get an Oscar nomination for Collateral.)

• Love 3

Day 8

A Series Of Unfortunate Events

His grandfather closed the book, “You looked tired, maybe we should take a break?” he suggested as he looked pointedly at his grandson.
“I’m not tired, honest!” the boy replied as yet another yawn spread across his face.
“Your yawn says otherwise” his grandfather chuckled.
“Please don’t stop reading I really want to know how the story ends” the boy pleaded using his best puppy dog eyes expression.
“Ok, ok, but if you fall asleep I’m leaving” his grandfather relented.
“Deal!” the boy grinned.
“But first I need a bathroom break” said his grandfather as he rose from his seat and placed the book on the bed, leaving the room.
Left alone, the boy sat and waited patiently, for a few minutes. He looked at the book and it occurred to him to take a peek inside for himself as he waited. He reached out and thoughtfully touched the worn cover before he picked up the book and began to flick through the pages carefully, not wanting to dislodge the bookmark his grandfather had left inside. He noticed the inside of the back cover had begun to peel away at one corner by a tiny bit and could see what looked liked writing underneath it. Intrigued, he pulled at the small triangle of paper slowly, gently, until another inch or so was peeled back, he could see the symbols that were partially revealed. He looked up, listening for footsteps walking back towards his door. Hearing nothing he continued to peel away the inside back cover, he had just over half the page revealed as he absent-mindedly mouthed the following words, surrounded by unusual looking symbols, aloud:

The reader and traveller entwined
The journey is all, what will he find
This story has a beating heart
Where you stop, so shall you start
Twisting, turning, spinning, the world comes alive
Reality shifts and inside you dive

The boy awoke with a start and knew instantly knew he was no longer in his bed, in fact he wasn't even in his house; did I go outside and fall asleep? he wondered. He sat up and looked around; but no, he wasn’t even in his backyard, he was in the middle of nowhere, and he was all alone. “Grandfather!?!” he shouted, but there was no answer. The boy stood up, wondering what he should do now, he brushed the dirt and grass from himself and began walking West, simply because that was the direction he faced. Every so often he shouted “GRANDFATHER!” hoping to hear a response, which never came.
Sometime later, having seen no other living soul, he reached the edge of a forest and after a moment’s hesitation he stepped into the trees. Fortunately the sun was still high in the sky and the boy hoped to find somebody to tell him where he was and how to get home before night fell. His stomach growled and he realised he was hungry and more than a little bit thirsty by now.

The Albino was cleaning in the Pit of Despair again, since the deaths of Count Rugen and Prince Humperdinck he hadn’t had much to do except keep The Machine clean and in working order. It’s a shame to have this brilliant machine left unused after the Count’s hard work for all those years, he thought. I wonder…maybe I could carry on the Count’s work? After all I know how the machine works and nobody else is giving me any orders, but where to find a victim... er research assistant? he mused.

The boy had strolled deeper into the Thieves Forest and spotted a tavern. Hoping to find directions or something to eat he ventured inside. The décor, the attire of the patrons and the general ambience of the establishment made him uneasy, I’ve either wandered into a Renaissance Fayre or something very strange is going on he fretted as he looked around at the faces that all seemed to be giving him curious looks. He walked over to the innkeeper and asked, “Hi, can you um, tell me, um, kinda, where I am please?” The innkeeper eyed him suspiciously, taking in his strange clothing, “Florin” was his only response. The boys’ mouth fell open, “Did you just say Florin??!” he asked thinking he must have misheard.
“Yes, Florin” the innkeeper repeated, “all on your own are you?”
The boy gaped at him, his mouth opening and closing like a goldfish, finally he managed to say “What the heck…? How???!!”
“I assume you walked?” the innkeeper replied dryly.
“You could say that, I guess...” was all the boy, still in shock, managed to reply. He turned, in stunned disbelief, and began to leave as what felt like a million thoughts went through his mind at the same time. How did this happen? It isn’t possible! What now? Then the only feasible answer hit him; I’m dreaming. I fell asleep in bed and this is all a dream. A wave of relief washed over him. So how do I make myself wake up? He wondered. He was in a daze still and found himself back outside, not remembering walking out of the tavern. Unsure what to do next or how to wake himself up, he sat down on a rock feeling forlorn and lost. Out of nowhere he felt a tap on his shoulder, he looked up to see an odd looking man smiling at him, “Are you ok?” asked the man.
“Uh, not really” the boy replied.
“I didn’t think you were” the man said with a smile, “you look hungry, are you hungry?”
The boy's tummy grumbled at the mention of hunger, “Yeah but I got no money” he shrugged.
“That’s ok, I’m always happy to help someone in need” the man said pleasantly.
“Err, ok then” the boy said, now eyeing the man, taking in his unusual appearance.
“Come along with me and we’ll find you something to eat” the man offered, extending his arm to point the way.
The boy stood and followed the man as he walked away. They reached a clearing where the odd man walked over to a tree and pressed on a knot in the wood, opening a secret door in the tree trunk. The boy watched in consternation, an uneasy feeling tingled down his spine, “umm, you know what…I’m not that hungry anymore for some reason” he informed the man, backing away.
“Oh, there’s no need to be scared” the man said as he approached the boy.
“I’m not scared, I just suddenly lost my appetite” he answered defensively.
Reaching the boy, the man suddenly grabbed his wrist roughly, “Well hungry or not, you’re coming with me” he snapped.
“Get off me!” the boy shouted in surprise and he kicked the man in the shin as hard as he could.
The Albino cried out in pain, loosening his grip on the boy’s wrist enough that the boy was able to escape his grasp and take off running.
“Damnit!” the Albino muttered to himself and ran after the boy.
Tripping over a fallen branch that was obscured by leaves, the boy looked behind to see the Albino chasing after him and scrambled to his feet once more; he ran blindly not taking any notice of his surroundings, just wanting to get away from the weird guy. Suddenly he was in open space, having run all the way through the forest, but he continued his flight regardless, fearful of being caught.
The Albino was getting short of breath by now but still had the boy in his sights and wasn’t going to give up on such easy prey quickly. Taking a deep breath, he persisted in his quest.
The boy crested a small hill and the view that opened up before him, stopped him short; the ocean looked vast before his eyes, he walked to the edge of the cliff and peered over, the drop was very high and aside from the odd small rocky outcrop the cliffs were practically vertical. “Oh crap!” the boy exclaimed.
“Don’t do anything silly!” the Albino called out to him.
Turning to face him, the boy replied, “Stay away from me! Don’t come any closer!”
“Look there’s nowhere to run now, so let’s do this the easy way ok?” the Albino suggested unhelpfully, edging closer.
“Get back!” the boy shouted, taking a step or two backwards, now dangerously close to the precipice.
“Be reasonable now” the Albino advised him, “we both know you’re not going to jump, it’s certain death and even if you somehow managed to survive the fall, the shrieking eels would surely get you.”
“Maybe I’d rather die than go with you” the boy sneered as he took another defiant step back.
Before the Albino could get close enough to grab him, the stones under the boy’s feet gave way and slid, causing him to lose his footing. Arms flailing, he tried to regain his balance, as he looked at the Albino panic stricken, but to no avail, he toppled backwards, his arms still windmilling wildly and in an instant, he was gone.

Still Living Happily Ever After:

2. Athena
6. stacey
8. Drogo
9. Lady Calypso
14. SVNBob
16. aquarian1
18. CuriousParker replaced by Jesse

The Mostly ALL Dead:

Jesse – Yellin, Neutral, Recruitable.
You are the leader of The Brute Squad, neither a Hero or Villain unless recruited, until then you may choose to assist the heroes or villains as you see fit. You deal with outlaws and ruffians without mercy as instructed by your superiors. If recruited you will endeavour for your side to win.

Hanged Man – The King, A Hero, Mason with The Queen.
You are an old but kind man, slowly becoming senile, deaf, and difficult to understand… however, you are still King of Florin. Due to your ailing health, you’ve relinquished all but a few of the ruling duties to your son Prince Humperdinck, who has let the power go to his head and now looks to your neighbouring countries with greedy eyes. You have a soft spot in your heart for Buttercup because she once kissed you. Together with The Queen, you form a mason pair and may communicate outside the game thread.

CuriousParker – removed from the game upon request replaced by Jesse.

TMunz - A Florin peasant, a Hero.
One of Florin’s underclass, you’re nothing special (except in that trite “but everyone’s special” kinda way) and you’re none too clean, but you love your country and royal weddings. And food. Of any kind. You’re really not fussy.  You have no powers in this game.

Machiabelly - Westley, a Hero Investigator of sorts.
You are a brave man who left Buttercup to seek your fortune. Later reportedly murdered by the Dread Pirate Roberts, you in fact spent the time away learning everything the world could teach you, with the sole focus of returning to your beloved. Upon your return, you are disguised as the Man in Black, and intent on rescuing Buttercup from the clutches of Prince Humperdinck and any other threat. Because you are only searching for your true love Princess Buttercup, you may enquire of 1 player each night; "Is this my beloved Buttercup?" You will receive one of the following responses: Yes, No or No Result. If/when you do find her you will become a mason pair. Beware! Prince Humperdinck’s henchman searches for you, should he find you Humperdinck would have you tortured, at which time he will ask you(via the game mods) 3 questions, which you must answer truthfully. Find Buttercup fast, there is strength in numbers...

Lisin - Count Rugen, a Villain Protector.
Prince Humperdinck's right-hand man, you are a sadist and wannabe author, torture and pain being your special area of study. In fact, you have designed a diabolical machine to help you in your quest to learn everything there is to know about the maximum amount of pain a person can bear, as you believe these findings will be your legacy. Your biggest mistake in life was to murder Inigo Montoya's father... it has lead to his life long crusade to seek you out and make you more than a little bit dead. It’s not easy for you to hide your identity, as you are a unique man who has 6 fingers on his right hand.
As a Protector, you must choose a different player to protect each night. If Westley is handed over to you, you will torture him; you will be able to ask him 3 questions (via the game mods), which he must answer truthfully, he then automatically becomes your team's nightkill that night.

MarkHB - Vizzini, a Villain Investigator.
Owing to your brilliance, there is no doubt in your mind that you are the world’s #1 criminal genius. Being short of stature and also of temper due to your Sicilian blood, you sometimes misuse words in frustration if your plans are thwarted. A smug, ruthless man, you cannot refuse a battle of wits, even to the death, as you know you shall always win.
As an investigator, each night you may investigate one player in the game by PM'ing the mods. Should you find Westley you will hand him over to Prince Humperdinck for questioning. You will get results back in the form of Name & alignment or No Result.

Dougal - Valerie, a Hero.
Although professed to be one by your husband Miracle Max, you are in fact, not a witch. You merely impersonate one; because all Miracle Men must have a witch assistant. You are indeed, the woman behind the man. You have stood by this man ... even though his confidence has been shattered since being fired by Prince Humperdinck. You know the greatest gift in life is to possess true love. You are a vanilla hero, however, IF certain pre-defined conditions are met, you have a dormant power that will be activated.

caprice - The Queen, A Hero, Mason with The King.
You are The Queen, a Hero and mason with The King. As the kind but elderly queen of Florin and Humperdinck's stepmother you have no real power in the land, and are content to while away your days with other noblewomen in ladylike pursuits such as sewing, flower arranging and gossiping. Together with Hanged Man, The King, you form a mason pair and may communicate outside the thread.

The Crazed Spruce - Prince Humperdinck, Head Villain.
The heir to the Florinese throne. You are an insecure and self-absorbed man who thinks of nothing other than pursuing your own interests. War and tracking/hunting animals are your primary focus, and you are good at it. Knowing that you have to marry because your father is dying, you set out to find a beautiful bride, however, you have sinister plans of murdering her on your wedding night and blaming Guilder so that you can declare war on them.
Each night you & your team may choose 1 player to kill. If your investigator finds Westley he will hand him over to you for questioning, by Count Rugen. Your team will win only when all who stand against you are dead.

Tjtrack99 - Inigo Montoya, A Hero, 1 Kill Vigilante & Limited Investigator.
You have devoted your life to learning the sword in order to avenge your father's death at the hands of the six-fingered man. Ultimately becoming a wizard, the highest ranked swordsman in the world and an extremely skilled and dangerous man. Having achieved this but still not having found the six-fingered man; you lapsed into depression and alcoholism, and came out of it only when Vizzini recruited you.
Whilst the six-fingered man lives, with a 1 Kill vigilante power in your pocket, each night you may ask of 1 player "Does s/he have six fingers on their right hand?" You will receive one of the following responses: Yes, No or No Result. If/when you do find him, you may use your 1 kill vigilante power to kill him that night. Should the six-fingered man be killed by other means, you may then use your vigilante 1 kill elsewhere.

egavasc - a Rodent Of Unusual Size (ROUS) and a Serial Killer.
You are a mutant rodent, eating everything in your path, animal, vegetable or human.  When you smell blood you attack; you are a vicious, slimy presence dwelling in the Fireswamp, and make survival almost impossible for anyone who foolishly wanders in.
As a Serial Killer, on each even numbered night you may choose 1 player to kill. You may only choose to kill from those players who have not posted at all in the preceding day, if everyone posts, then you will be able to choose from all players. Please contact us if you are unsure who your potential victims are on any night that your urge to kill is eligible. Because you have this restriction upon you, you will be immune from all investigations for the first 3 nights. You will only win when all other players are dead.

OinkyBoinky -  the Grandson, and thanks to some mighty plot armour, a hard to kill Hero, namely a 2-Kill Investigator. 

You are a young boy who would rather play video games than suffer the indignity of a visit with your grandfather who always pinches your cheek, which you hate. However, you were faced with just such a situation when you became ill one day and your grandfather offered to read you his favourite book. Your life was changed forever. You may PM the mods each night for the name and alignment of any player. You will receive one of the following responses: Name & Alignment or No Result. As your Grandfather is the teller of our tale he has ruled that you should have 2 lives in this game. The first time you are lynched or night killed you will survive. If you should be protected, you will not lose a life.

You have 72hrs for discussion. If a minimum of 50% of the players have joined a lynch by the time that deadline arrives Day will be extended.

There are NO clues in the story.

4 votes are required to complete a DL.

As the Ancient Boo-er would say: Booooo!  But you know, I was kind of wondering why OB was still around, providing such specific information to us heroes.

BOOOOOOOO indeed!  But I know at least one reason why she was still around.  I do so love the little children. 

Only one untrusted player remaining in the previously-compiled Circle of Trust: 

Oinky Boinky (trusted by OB, SVN, and Drogo)

Athena  (trusted by OB and Drogo)

stacey  (trusted by Drogo)

Drogo (trusted by SVN and Drogo)

Lady Calypso - UNTRUSTED

SVNBob (trusted by OB, SVN, and Drogo)

aquarian1 (twusted by Dwogo)

egavasc - UNTRUSTED --> ROUS/SK

Jesse (trusted by OB and Drogo)

So it is with great pleasure and a decent amount of skin pigmentation that I vote to DL our extremely pale companion. 

1 to DL Lady Calypso (Drogo), 3 to apply her Coppertone SPF200

*But let's keep talking game a bit before we finish a vote.  We haven't talked in so long...

p.s. This was a really great story.  I was a bit confused how we would handle Columbo and Kevin Arnold should one of them meet a tragic end...

• Love 2

TPB Mafia Announcement

That's it ... Day 8 is done!

Commence DRINKING ... partying ... uncrating ... undressing ... whatever floats your boat!

What do you mean by "commence?"

I got Vizzini

Believe it or not...IUw1DoBxfdfl.jpg

(I'm not sure if I got the image syntax right)

I completely believe that of you both.

WAfrKm0NZmsl.jpg

Please contain your shock.

Actually, I also believe this of you and TJ.
  • Love 2